PDA

View Full Version : .223/556 Flash retardant

PLCedeno
12-25-07, 13:13
Has anyone used either American Eagle or Winchester 3131 at night? I have used both extensively but have not compared there night performance ie. blast. Any flash retardant?

markm
12-27-07, 08:30
I'm still not sure if flash retardant is even real. I'd have to see some spec sheet or hear from a credible source to convince me that it's not just another gun myth.

PLCedeno
12-27-07, 08:48
I'm still not sure if flash retardant is even real. I'd have to see some spec sheet or hear from a credible source to convince me that it's not just another gun myth.

Still you have to admit some have a brighter flash than others. Hence my question.

markm
12-27-07, 09:23
Sure. A hotter load like 3131 is going to have to flash brighter than a .223 load like AE.... even if the powder was the same.

Bill Alexander
12-27-07, 19:59
Flash suppresent in nitro based propellents will differ in chemistry depending upon to some extent the manufacturing method (ball, extruded). Somewhere I have a listing of the typical chemicals now used but I do remember the most common is potassium nitrate. You will also find decoppering compounds in many military grade formulas. Powders formulated specifically for the M16 mechanism will be specified with lower burn temperatures to preserve the rifle throat and are usually heavily graphited in addition to the regular retardents When set up correctly and matched to the caliber and projectile the powder will effectively lube the action as you go. The graphite will deposit in the action as a very fine but soft black residue. Each consecutive shot will remove some so that the build up does not become excessive.

It is this sort of work that you are paying for when you buy into premium ammunition, but sometimes you are just getting screwed and the accountant buys into the cheapest blend that gets to spec.

Bill Alexander