View Full Version : Traveling on the road question:CA to Co?
Hello friends I need your suggestions, I'll be driving from Los Angeles, CA to Durango, Colorado. For those of you who are locals or if you're familiar with that drive please- please chime in! I'll be taking the 89N- US160-to the CO-140, I'll be driving through Flagstaff, AZ, Tuba City, AZ, Kayenta AZ, Teec Nos Pos AZ, Cortez CO, Mancos Co, and finally to Hesperus and Durango CO. It's a 780 mile drive approximately and my main concern is the weather, according to weather.com there should be no issues of snow in AZ throughout my travels but CO may have weather advisories. So what do you guys think if I need to be present for row call in Hesperus CO at 1000 hours on the Monday the 12th of March, I should leave Los Angeles, CA on Saturday the 10th? I know I can drive I'm thinking heck I'll just leave home Sunday at 0300-0400? Or play it safe and leave saturday? Please chime in folks. Also please mention places to stop or possible sleep or better camp!
You couldn't pay me to take that trip this time of year unless absolutely required.
Flagstaff is 7,000 feet above sea level. If the roads are snowy or icy good luck. I barely missed two feet of snow in New Mexico like a month and a half ago. I'd imagine CO is worse as far as snow goes.
Gas and lodging can be pretty far a part in that neck too.
Look hard at weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Don't go unless you must. Get a plain ticket and rent a car.
I'm joining a Conservation Corps for two months, I have 10 days in the field and 4 days off on my own. So I really need to drive instead of flying. Thus the 4 days off I need to get around, so I take it I think I will drive on saturday instead of sunday. Thanks for the insight brother.
Keep your eye on the forecast, gas up, and safe travels.
Very rarely does a snow event, anywhere on that route, close the hwy for any significant length of time, regardless of how many feet of snow fall. While March/April are our big snow months in CO, it's warmer now so it melts off pretty quickly. I wore shorts/t-shirt on my hike this afternoon above 8,500' and Wednesday is slated to make it nearly to 80* (yes, the next day could have 4' of snow, but it's not worth worrying about).
Enjoy the drive :)
That'll be a great trip.. I've drove that area over the Christmas/new year holidays. You'll have a great time.. Cheers.. Ron
thanks all! I read each on of your responses! I'll be leaving tomorrow so hope to hear from you all soon! i'll be back in 60 days.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.