PDA

View Full Version : PIG UCR(Universal Chest Rig)?

MFWIC2
11-07-12, 19:26
Looking at this chest rig (PIG UCR). Does anybody have one of these or use one. I'm looking for an alternative rig other than my plate carrier.
Here are the specs.

PIG UCR (Universal Chest Rig)

Based on the Eagle Universal Chest Rig / SKD Version (CR-UTV-MS) that was originally designed by Paul Howe, the all new PIG UCR (Universal Chest Rig) incorporates updates and features that were overdue.

•500D Construction for less weight.

•Adjustable retention straps that adjust with velcro instead of metal tri-glides.

•PIG CR-UTV-MS Upgrade Straps, standard.

•Internal drainage grommets.

•Compatible with PIG CR H-Harness Kit.

The PIG UCR still carries 2 x M4 mags (USGI/PMAG/Lancer) or 1 x 7.62 mag (PMAG/SR-25/AR10/FAL) or 1 x AK-47/74 mag per each of its 4 rifle mag pouches. The 4 pistol mag pouches up front are ideal for double stack pistol magazines (up to Glock 20/21), flashlights, utility tools or other similarly shaped items. The Molle on the side of the chest rig allows for additional ammo, first aid, radio or utility pouches. The PIG UCR also retains the mesh stash pocket and the internal Map Pocket of the original Paul Howe CR-UTV-MS with velcro closure along the top of the rig. As with all Patrol Incident Gear tactical nylon gear, the PIG UCR is proudly Made in the USA!

http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Universal-Chest-Rig-p/pig.667.htm

Bogart
11-07-12, 20:37
I saw this today on SKD too and was interested to find out what the guys on here thought about it.

Wake27
11-07-12, 20:40
Its brand new, I doubt anyone has one yet. The original Eagle/SKD collaboration was great and it sounds like they fixed a few of the weaker points. PIG makes great stuff from my limited experience but I've heard a lot of great stuff. I'm definitely going to be selling my Eagle one to swap for one of these since I wasn't able to get the color I wanted originally anyways. I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can come close at that price.

Shane1
11-08-12, 07:45
I have one of the original versions with over 6+ years of use in it. If this is an improvement over the original, it should be good to go. Plus for the price point, its hard to beat. I'm recommending them to my guys when they want to purchase their own rigs.

skd_tactical
11-10-12, 15:49
We just released it last Tuesday (NOV 6). I think people are going to love it. Hopefully we'll get some end user reviews in soon.

SOS

drtywk
11-10-12, 15:56
I have two of the original ones and they are solid. I like the changes that have been made to this one and will be picking one up in the very near future.

The only thing I am a little disappointed in is that there is still only two columns of PALS webbing on either side of the mag pouches, as most IFAK carriers and utility pouches use three columns. However, I have a solid solution for how it is now.

ARonBoard
11-10-12, 16:33
I'm about to order one this week. I'll post some first hand feedback when it gets here. Also interests if anyone already has their hands on it.

skd_tactical
11-11-12, 09:15
I have two of the original ones and they are solid. I like the changes that have been made to this one and will be picking one up in the very near future.

The only thing I am a little disappointed in is that there is still only two columns of PALS webbing on either side of the mag pouches, as most IFAK carriers and utility pouches use three columns. However, I have a solid solution for how it is now.

The HSGI bleeder pouch is perfect for this, or go my route and put (two total) Tactical Tailor canteen pouches on either side. One for your IFAK guts, and one for your NVG's.

SOS

Wake27
11-11-12, 14:33
Isn't the Dark Angel Medical IFAK two rows of MOLLE too?

Rob Haught
11-11-12, 19:49
I just received mine. I have the original and this one is lighter without padded straps, and appears very well made. I will get a couple range sessions in with it soon.

Wake27
11-11-12, 20:53
We just released it last Tuesday (NOV 6). I think people are going to love it. Hopefully we'll get some end user reviews in soon.

SOS

Any chance you guys would be doing this with the LVAC too?

donlapalma
11-11-12, 22:08
I received the PIG Universal Chest Rig on Friday. It is very light. There is no padding in the shoulder straps and the design is minimalistic and sleek.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1821.jpg

The four larger pouches can hold 2 AR mags each plus there are 4 pistol mag pouches. The pouch easily holds a Glock G19 with a Surefire X300 attached.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1822.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1823.jpg

I don't anticipate carrying around 2 AR mags per pouch that often so I was a little concerned with the retention of a single AR mag specifically during movement and while going prone. The mouth of the AR mag pouches are kept under tension with an elastic band. A single AR mag does move somewhat loosely in the pouch, but found no issues with mags flying out when I was going prone to test it out. I believe the depth of the pouches also help mitigate against mags falling out. Reholstering AR mags was accomplished rather easily as the mouth stays open enough when empty.

There is also a mesh pouch on the backside and an internal pocket kept closed securely with velcro.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1824.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1825.jpg

Overall, I'm very impressed with the design and construction of the UCR. At this price point, I consider this to be a great value and look forward to putting it to use on the range.

Esquire
11-13-12, 11:18
I was eye balling this same rig the other day, I own one of the original Eagle/SKD versions of this but had an issue due to my man child like stature I couldn't actually adjust the shoulder straps small enough to fit my frame due to the padding. Can anyone from SKD chime in on if these pad free shoulder straps have more range of adjustment than the first iteration? Thanks!

piggly_wiggly
11-13-12, 19:57
donlapalma,

Thanks for your review and pics. We just want to reiterate that this is not THE solution, but A solution that happens to be a great all-around rig. Also, I noticed in your pics that the straps were installed wrong- the elastic loops are meant to ride on the outside edge, but it's just cosmetic until you actually run something in the loops, at which point you can just switch out the straps. We'll notify our warehouse ninjas to keep an eye out for that! :D

I received the PIG Universal Chest Rig on Friday. It is very light. There is no padding in the shoulder straps and the design is minimalistic and sleek.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1821.jpg

The four larger pouches can hold 2 AR mags each plus there are 4 pistol mag pouches. The pouch easily holds a Glock G19 with a Surefire X300 attached.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1823.jpg

I don't anticipate carrying around 2 AR mags per pouch that often so I was a little concerned with the retention of a single AR mag specifically during movement and while going prone. The mouth of the AR mag pouches are kept under tension with an elastic band. A single AR mag does move somewhat loosely in the pouch, but found no issues with mags flying out when I was going prone to test it out. I believe the depth of the pouches also help mitigate against mags falling out. Reholstering AR mags was accomplished rather easily as the mouth stays open enough when empty.

There is also a mesh pouch on the backside and an internal pocket kept closed securely with velcro.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1824.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/PIG%20UCR/IMG_1825.jpg

Overall, I'm very impressed with the design and construction of the UCR. At this price point, I consider this to be a great value and look forward to putting it to use on the range.

Inkslinger
11-14-12, 06:23
Any eta for the thumb break attachment?

skd_tactical
11-14-12, 09:26
Any eta for the thumb break attachment?

Not yet. Sorry.

SOS

Inkslinger
11-14-12, 09:55
Not yet. Sorry.

SOS

No worries. Nice product. Just came in the mail yesterday.

jwperry
11-14-12, 11:40
Will the mag pouches fit the Surefire 60 rounders?

MIDGAPATRIOT
11-18-12, 14:11
I have one of the original versions with over 6+ years of use in it. If this is an improvement over the original, it should be good to go. Plus for the price point, its hard to beat. I'm recommending them to my guys when they want to purchase their own rigs.

Same here. I've got one of the older Eagle/SKD versions and I love it. This looks to be damn close to it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Gatorbait
11-19-12, 21:33
Just got one of these rigs in, thanks SKD for the sale....
I am migrating gear from a suspendered belt to the rig:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/radio001.jpg?t=1353379711

Good quality, well thought out. Pistol magazine pouches work with G21 mags with Arrodondo extensions.
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/pouches001.jpg?t=1353382198

I will post a full review after testing..

Cheers,
gb

Wake27
11-27-12, 02:04
All sold out :(

jamaicanj
01-17-13, 15:42
Any further feedback on this rig?

Dennis
01-19-13, 11:10
I have a highly used original model that has held up well in both quality and functionality. I ordered this newer one as well and the primary change is that it is made out of lighter material and with simpler straps. The lighter material makes it sag more sitting around waiting to be grabbed but then it's lighter when wearing it, so a fair trade off. I got the H straps with it but don't like them as they are harder to put on, much harder to take off, and require much adjustment to fit correctly which is an issue with me as I cannot control what type of armor or outerwear I may be wearing when I need the rig. I find the cross straps to work well and allow easy on/off with minimal easy to do adjustment if required.

I have tried many chest rigs and have a well used plate carrier setup, but I have found this setup to be the most useful and "universal" without having to buy all kinds of pouches and deal with extra bulk of Molle straps. I wish I had bought more of the original before they went away and even more of the new model before they were out of stock...

Dennis.

Grip
01-20-13, 21:41
I put my UCR with H-harness, and Mollevella to use this weekend. I love it.

It's light, comfortable, has more than enough storage, and molle to attach a small pouch on your reaction hand side.

The molle on the Mollevella is good at holding 12ga shells pretty fast and it holds them securely.

I'm very happy with this rig, you can literally throw it on and be ready to go in seconds. And wearing it for 8hours with 8 full p-mags, and 4 full G19 mags isn't killing you by the end of the day.

It was like 40 degrees outside so I wore it over a sweatshirt, but I think it will be pretty breathable come the summer....hopefully a hydration carrier will be out by then. (Hint hint)

Replicant
01-23-13, 23:53

How well secured is the Glock 19 in the magazine pouch? I don't think I saw anything in the product description about that, but how comfortable would you feel moving about with the pistol secured like that? It looks like its fastened down, but I'm not sure how much it would move from side to side.

Grip
01-24-13, 21:18
It's secure enough to hold up to running, jumping, going prone. My G19 stayed in the mag pouch as pictured very securely. Not really any up/down or side/side movement.

I use a holster on my belt, but after seeing that photo I wanted to try it out for S&G's.

Replicant
01-25-13, 00:16
It's secure enough to hold up to running, jumping, going prone. My G19 stayed in the mag pouch as pictured very securely. Not really any up/down or side/side movement.

I use a holster on my belt, but after seeing that photo I wanted to try it out for S&G's.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with yours. Unfortunately none are in stock at the moment.

Grip
01-25-13, 19:29
Sounds like you're pretty happy with yours. Unfortunately none are in stock at the moment.

Very happy. I suggest everyone I shoot with get one..so far only one guy has picked one up.

Next time they are in stock, get one. Get on the email notification list from skd.

jamaicanj
10-15-13, 15:04
Can this UCR be used or attached to the PIG plate carrier? Is there a way to get rid of the straps and simply mount it on the plate carrier?

Thanks

skd_tactical
10-15-13, 20:06
Can this UCR be used or attached to the PIG plate carrier? Is there a way to get rid of the straps and simply mount it on the plate carrier?

Thanks

Not without MacGruber-ing it. He is a far better role model than the one from the 80's.

BTW the UCR are back in stock in select colors now.
SOS

Shootah 556
08-29-16, 23:39
PiG sells shoulder pads I wonder if they will work with the ucr

grantw1221
09-07-16, 11:21
love my UCR, but alas, time to move on to something that can hold plates. So if you need/want one, just holler at me.

skd_tactical
09-08-16, 14:20
PiG sells shoulder pads I wonder if they will work with the ucr

The absolutely will. They will work on most chest rigs and even most slings if you want to add padding without buying a whole new sling. I have even seen people use the MK1 Shoulder pads on their belts for added comfort.

SOS

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-12-16, 20:58
I like my PIG UCR gives me plenty of rifle mag pouches, only thing I don't like is the pistol mag pouches can't fit a cat tourniquet and the H harness strap addition only has a few slots to go in, I would like to run mine closer to the rig that further back.

M4arc
11-12-16, 08:28
I was just looking at these last night on SKD's website. How do they fit smaller guys? Do they have a good range of adjustability in them?

ExplorinInTheWoods
11-13-16, 09:12
They have a good range, they seem to be best suited for wearing without a plate carrier. I like how they hold 8 rifle mags, so many chest rigs only give you 4 or 6. I do wish the pistol mag pouches were bigger to fit my leatherman wave. If you do plan on using it on a plate carrier get the little side buckles to clip into your sides on your cumberbund. and get the H harness piece. using the X style without a plate carrier is fine but when you use the X with a carrier it rubs your neck raw.

USMC03
12-03-16, 18:32
M4arc,

I have one and we are about the same size, I'm running modified shoulder straps on my rig that are a little shorter than the factory. Fits well, no issues. I'm really diggin this rig, kind of an updated version of the old Eagle chest rigs we ran a decade ago.

Be safe

jpgm
12-05-16, 18:06
For those running this rig, is there elastic to provide tension to retain a single AR mag in the pouch?

jpgm

Inkslinger
12-05-16, 18:38
For those running this rig, is there elastic to provide tension to retain a single AR mag in the pouch?

jpgm

No. I did add two Esstac double KYWI inserts which work great. Unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore.

jpgm
12-05-16, 18:42
It looks like a nice piece of gear. Running double stacked rifle mags would be too thick for my taste.

jpgm

Instaurator
12-13-16, 09:24
Bought one of these back when they still were available at the intro price. Wish i would have bought another one in ranger green. Good piece of kit. At some point I'd like to buy a slick PC to run in conjunction with the UCR for a 2nd line scale-able system.