PDA

View Full Version : .30-06 AP Question

Dylan_Porter
02-19-08, 03:22
I have a a couple dozen Garand Clips loaded with AP rounds (black tipped), they don't stick to a magnet though. I'm just assuming they are steel core which would make them magnetic. Is this normal?

WS6
02-19-08, 18:06
I have a a couple dozen Garand Clips loaded with AP rounds (black tipped), they don't stick to a magnet though. I'm just assuming they are steel core which would make them magnetic. Is this normal?

Odd, my M855 sticks to a magnet. Could someone have duped you with black paint? Or are they tungsten (I am not sure if that is magnetic or not) core? Only one way to know, break out the grinder and pulle a bullet!

TOrrock
02-19-08, 19:01
I don't think that tungsten is magnetic, but I'm not 100% on that.

WS6
02-19-08, 19:03
I don't think that tungsten is magnetic, but I'm not 100% on that.

I am inclined to agree w/you.

Dylan_Porter
02-19-08, 19:39
Ahhh, I see. I didn't know tungsten was used that long ago.

WS6
02-19-08, 22:31
Ahhh, I see. I didn't know tungsten was used that long ago.

I don't know either, I recommend using a grinder and finding out if you NEED to be sure.

DocGKR
02-20-08, 01:54
All the USGI .30-06 M2 AP "black tip" we've ever seen (multiple thousands of rounds) uses a hardened steel penetrator, detectable with a magnet.

HolyRoller
02-20-08, 09:01
Yeah, if I recall correctly from my misspent youth reading artillery and tank books, tungsten is only necessary when you're firing very high velocity AP projectiles at heavy armor. Steel will just shatter if it's going fast enough, but .30-06 isn't fast enough. I can't immediately quote you a price on tungsten v. steel, but I would guess tungsten is way too expensive, especially in the middle of a war, to be handing it out to zillions of infantrymen.

Check Army TM 9-1305-200 to be sure, but I just betcha there's supposed to be steel, not tungsten, in them thar booolets. Magnet no sticky = possibly not what you bargained for. If you got taken--that means you're now a REAL collector. Ax me how I know. :-/

BarryP
02-21-08, 10:30
Ive got some black tipped 30-06 pulled bullets from Pats and they stick to magnets.

TOrrock
02-21-08, 11:33
All the USGI .30-06 M2 AP "black tip" we've ever seen (multiple thousands of rounds) uses a hardened steel penetrator, detectable with a magnet.

Thanks for the heads up Doc.

Rmplstlskn
02-21-08, 13:41

Is your magnet wimpy?

30-06 AP is not rare enough to SCAM by painting FMJ with black paint, IMO... :rolleyes:

Rmpl

HolyRoller
02-21-08, 21:42
Because you're a decent right-thinking gun person.

Joe Gunshow thinks: "I have these Lake City, or Greek, or WTF Reloads Inc. rounds that cost me 25 cents each, and I'll paint the tips black and sell them for 2 dollars each!"

Some people would rather make ten dishonest bucks than a hundred honest ones.

Dylan_Porter
02-22-08, 00:27
Well, I feel stupid. Turns out the thing I pulled off the fridge wasn't actually a magnet (I have my wife to thank for that :p).

Anyway, I found a real magnet and it stuck, but to be sure I had a friend grind one down.

I got them from my uncle's estate so I wasn't concerned about being ripped off.

Thanks for the help.