PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Identify this Vintage Colt

lawdawg97
06-11-13, 20:11
Here is my analysis. I welcome everyone's polite and respectful input, at least until Scott Ryan chimes in and then that will settle the matter.

My conclusion is that this is a very early Colt 733, part of the famously hard to identify "transitional" 700 series when Colt seemed to put together rifles with whatever parts were on top of the parts pile. This would be the first time I have seen a 733 that was not stamped M16A2 (whether on an A1 or A2 lower or not).

You decide. If I have misidentified any aspects below please correct me. Click on each picture for a HIGH resolution photo. If additional photos are needed to make a definitive identification ask and ye shall receive.

BUFFER: Standard Carbine Buffer.
SPRING: Standard Carbine Spring.
BUTTSTOCK: 3rd Generation Collapsing Stock. Factory staked in place with varnish over staking.
BUTTSTOCK MATERIAL: Fiberlite.
TUBE: 4-Position Tube.
LOWER RECEIVER: Full Fence.
GRIP: A1
PROOF MARKS / FORGE CODE: Colt Forge Mark inside Carry Handle below Rear Sight.
PROOF MARKS / FORGE CODE: Colt Forge Mark on Front Site.
REAR SIGHT: Standard "Late Production" A1 Sight.
EJECTION PORT COVER: "Late A1 Production" Type.
FORWARD ASSIST: "Original" Tear Drop Assist.
BOLT GROUP: Standard Colt Bolt Group with a "C" marked Carrier, and a "MPC" marked Bolt.
HANDGUARD SLIP RING: Tapered.
BARREL DIAMETER: 0.625" at the Front Sight Base.
BARREL LENGTH:11.5".
BARREL TWIST RATE: Do not know. Probably 1/7.
BARREL MARKINGS: C MP CB.
HANDGUARDS: Carbine Handguard with Single Heat Shield.
FLASHHIDER:A1 "Birdcage".

scottryan
06-12-13, 14:33
It is most likely an early 733.

It should have a 2 position tube, not 4 position.

lawdawg97
06-12-13, 19:47
Thank you. I will verify 2 position tube.

MarkG
06-13-13, 00:09
It is most likely an early 733.

It should have a 2 position tube, not 4 position.

Have you seen an R0733 with a bayonet lug before?

Something is not right here. I'm OK with the transitional model theory until we run into a 1/7 twist A1 barrel. I'm gonna guess the upper receiver is a carfle.

lawdawg97
06-13-13, 08:20
Thank you for your observations
The bayonet lug is proper on 11.5 inch Commandos
The barrel twist rate I cannot confirm
The tube is two position which I was able to confirm per Scott's post

MarkG
06-13-13, 09:02
Thank you for your observations
The bayonet lug is proper on 11.5 inch Commandos
The barrel twist rate I cannot confirm
The tube is two position which I was able to confirm per Scott's post

To the best of my knowledge, C MP CB marked barrels have always been 1/7.

scottryan
06-13-13, 09:08
Have you seen an R0733 with a bayonet lug before?

Yes.

Some late 639s and early 733s have bayonet lugs. It is not common but they do exist.

JoshNC
06-16-13, 15:18
Transferable?

lawdawg97
06-17-13, 08:03
Yes! Pre-1986 transferable. On a form 3 waiting to start form 4 paperwork.

lethal dose
06-17-13, 10:14
As Scott said, 733. Beautiful carbine. Very nice find.

JoshNC
06-18-13, 00:22
Yes! Pre-1986 transferable. On a form 3 waiting to start form 4 paperwork.

Very nice! Congrats. Care to disclose what it set you back?

lawdawg97
06-18-13, 08:40
PM sent

MistWolf
06-19-13, 08:41
It's easy enough to verify barrel twist. Take a cleaning rod and mark it lengthwise with a Sharpie. Run it down the barrel with a patch or brush so the rod will turn as it's pushed through. Insert the rod into the barrel enough it get s good bite on the rifling and make a mark on the rod at the muzzle. Run the rod down until it makes one complete turn and mark the rod again at the muzzle. Measure the distance between the two marks.

Very interesting Colt! Looks to be in great shape

halfmoonclip
06-29-13, 18:32
Even without lawdawg's response regarding rectangular dollars, I'm jealous as hell. A really nice carbine with a buzz switch. Be still my heart!
Enjoy.
Moon

SpartanDCI
07-17-13, 21:43
In early 1982-83, Aeromarine Inc out of Birmingham, AL, who was a Colt distributor, had several dozen M16A1 carbines and 11-1/2 Commandos (Model name only). The word was they were left over from a South or Central American contract......probably BS.

I bought one of each for about $700 each and transferred them through Crawford International in Silver Springs, MD back in the day. When the guns arrived there and I was taking the paperwork to the Maryland State police for fingerprints and sign off.....Ken Crawford the owner said that the guns looked like over runs from the contract for El Salvador.

My guns were the same as yours except mine had 1 in 12 twist barrels and the front sight towers had a small bell forged into the side. Stocks were the 1970's vintage plastic dipped alloy stocks and not the lighter fiberlight stocks that your had. The Commando barrels did not have the bayonet lugs, and they were roll marked "C MP CB" underneath the barrel and not on top.

The important thing is your piece has the remnants of blue paint on the stake marks on the receiver extension and bolt hold open.....which usually shows an original carbine or shorty.

Mike Lester, of Class 3 Supply, when they were in Nashville, TN had several M16A1 Colts with 14.5 and 11.5 inch barrels......and I think all of his had the bayonet lugs.......going with your theme that Colts used everything they had in the parts bins........

The late Bob Roy of Colts Engineering and International Military sales explained to me that for export sales, Colt would use up whatever parts were available to meet sales requirements, versus commercial (Police or Prision) and US Military sales (which required everything to be MILSPEC).

When I did a PSD in Panama and El Salvador in 1985 for the US Navy, I carried a Mini Uzi and a Colt M16A1 with a 11 1/2 inch barrel exactly like yours with the bayonet lug.......it came out of the US Embassy cache for security types and it was still brand new when I sighted it in at the Para base in El Sal.

Nice find on a great condition A1 Commando.......

lawdawg97
07-19-13, 21:59
Extraordinary information
If these guns could talk
Thank you for sharing

Bub1S
03-02-14, 14:34
I have the exact same gun as pictured----identical. I bought it new in the box in the early 90's from Birmingham Pistol Parlor. If I remember right, they had 5 in stock and me and a buddy bought one each.