PDA

View Full Version : illinois law

kgj1119
08-10-06, 16:39
anybody know what the law is in illinois pertaining to ownership of an AR with a bbl shorter than 16". No full auto or anything, just semi auto with a shorter bbl.

ArchAngel
08-10-06, 17:02
I don't know what Illinois is specifically, whether it is allowed or not, but anything shorter than 16" without a permanently attached flash hider that brings it to 16" is considered a short-barreled rifle and the receiver that it is going on has to be registered as such under NFA rules as a SBR.

While it may be legal to possess a shorter upper, separate from the lower receiver - once the upper is put on a lower receiver it is illegal unless it is a registered SBR receiver.

nickdrak
08-10-06, 17:58
NO SBR's are allowed per Illinois State law. Anything under 16" is considered a SBR. You could always do the 14.5" barrel with a permanent Phantom or Vortex to make it 16" overall.

ArchAngel
08-10-06, 19:57
Thanks for the help. Without looking I didn't know if IL was a non-NFA state.

With Cooke County, Chicago, and that governor though I didn't figure it was.

nickdrak
08-11-06, 00:41
Thanks for the help. Without looking I didn't know if IL was a non-NFA state.

With Cooke County, Chicago, and that governor though I didn't figure it was.

No problem! I am UNfortunate enough to be located in Crook county where all "assault weapons" are banned still. I was lucky enough to get my personal Armalite carbine 5 years back on my Dept's. letterhead during the Fed ban.