PDA

View Full Version : Returning a brand new gun for work - who pays?

Shorts
08-27-13, 10:04
I have a brand new handgun that I purchased this weekend. Upon break down and cleaning when I got it home I discovered a chewed up barrel face. IMO it should not have passed through QC.

This morning I contacted the manf. and talked to a CS rep. I supplied photos via email. In short time I received an email stating the gunsmith would fit a new barrel and I'd have to send in the firearm, on my dime.

I realize someone has to pay for shipping to and from. I just don't think it should be me. Am I being unreasonable or unrealistic? This is not my first rodeo dealing with any firearm manf and an RMA. In those cases there was no cost to me.

I subscribe to the school of thought and practice to always give the manf. the opportunity to make it right. I feel I am doing that. Just not certain it should be on my dime on top of what I just paid for the gun. It is NIB and unfired by me. (Range day is scheduled for Thursday so this likely won't go now).

What do you guys think? Pay, send it and move on with it? Ask more questions and push for the manf. to pick up shipping cost? At the end of the day, the cost is not the issue. I can afford it. However it is the principle of the situation I am weighing.

Thanks.

Jaysop
08-27-13, 10:10
I without a doubt think the manufacture should pay for it.
They sold an item that is not how it was described or how it should function, its on them to pay for it. Its absurd that they would ever even ask the customer to pay for them to fix their mistakes but that seems to be how the market is.

Noveske was the one manufacture that seemed to understand that. A few years ago they put the wrong upper receiver on a rifle I ordered. They not only paid for it to go back, they had the new one out in days and added a few stickers and patches for the hell of it. I did not ask for anything extra. They just wanted to make sure I was a happy customer.

HES
08-27-13, 10:10
I would escalate this. Try to get to an executive or possible their marketing folks. If they turn you down, ship it back, then take to twitter and facebook and tell your story.

ChuckTait
08-27-13, 10:18
I've only had few experience returning a firearm to manufacturer for warrantee repair, but the manufacturer always paid the postage. These were Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory. They've been both joy to deal with, and I've heard Glocks were the same. If it's one of the major manufacturer with many customer reps, try calling again and talk to a different rep. Sometimes you'll get a different answer. In the worst case scenario, if it's only the crown that's messed up, it might be cheaper to just have the local smith re-crown your barrel. Wish you luck.

Edit: If you bought this firearm from LGS, they should be able to help dealing with difficult manufacture.

Jaysop
08-27-13, 10:20
I would escalate this. Try to get to an executive or possible their marketing folks. If they turn you down, ship it back, then take to twitter and facebook and tell your story.

Sometimes you can contact them through social media as well. It can complicate things because sometime the people you speak to in that manner are only repeating the bad policies set up by their employer. Its easy to be mad at the person who has to be the middle man.

I recently bought a rifle that was missing parts and had another issue mechanically. The representatives I've been in contact with are very polite and accommodating. But I was amazed that I was told id have to ship it back on my dime. It came from them that way.
Who in their right mind would think its acceptable to charge someone to send back a BRAND NEW product to be made right?

Maybe there's a real reason Im unaware of.

Shorts
08-27-13, 10:29
It is my supposition that QC issues are allowed to get through in order for firearms/products to get off the dock and into the customer's hand. From there the manf would take care of the specific issues that come back to them via customer. Whether or not that is the case here is just a wild guess with no factual basis. But if this is the how the manf rolled the dice, then that is the gamble they took in order to get the bottom line figure. A case such as mine is the roll that did not, rather should not pay out in full.

Rosco Benson
08-27-13, 10:43
The maker should pay the shipping both ways. If you do get stuck paying for the shipping, see if your dealer will ship it USPS Priority for you. FFLs can ship to another FFL using USPS for at lot less that FedEx or UPS overnight.

Rosco

Jaysop
08-27-13, 10:48
It is my supposition that QC issues are allowed to get through in order for firearms/products to get off the dock and into the customer's hand. From there the manf would take care of the specific issues that come back to them via customer. Whether or not that is the case here is just a wild guess with no factual basis. But if this is the how the manf rolled the dice, then that is the gamble they took in order to get the bottom line figure. A case such as mine is the roll that did not, rather should not pay out in full.

That's understandable. Its how they handle fixing the issue that matters.
Well in the future at least we'll know who to give our business to. From what I've read while searching for other people who have had this kind of issue, Daniel Defense seems to be the absolute best. Noveske is excellent as well. I've had interactions with both of their CS departments and both were exceptional. Glock took care of a bad Gen3 19 for me very quickly and easily also.

mbogo
08-27-13, 10:49
Call them back.

Often, the second person you speak to will take care of it at no charge.

BTW, what is a 'barrel face'?

mbogo

WillBrink
08-27-13, 10:51
I have a brand new handgun that I purchased this weekend. Upon break down and cleaning when I got it home I discovered a chewed up barrel face. IMO it should not have passed through QC.

This morning I contacted the manf. and talked to a CS rep. I supplied photos via email. In short time I received an email stating the gunsmith would fit a new barrel and I'd have to send in the firearm, on my dime.

I realize someone has to pay for shipping to and from. I just don't think it should be me. Am I being unreasonable or unrealistic? This is not my first rodeo dealing with any firearm manf and an RMA. In those cases there was no cost to me.

I subscribe to the school of thought and practice to always give the manf. the opportunity to make it right. I feel I am doing that. Just not certain it should be on my dime on top of what I just paid for the gun. It is NIB and unfired by me. (Range day is scheduled for Thursday so this likely won't go now).

What do you guys think? Pay, send it and move on with it? Ask more questions and push for the manf. to pick up shipping cost? At the end of the day, the cost is not the issue. I can afford it. However it is the principle of the situation I am weighing.

Thanks.

This is one reason I will only do business with companies known for good CS. It's always amazing to me (not pointed at you per se) who will buy a gun from a company without looking into their CS reputation and or even ignore the fact a company is known for its poor CS and buy anyway. Guns break, no matter who makes them.

My experience to date with companies such as S&W, SA, and Khar have been excellent and they'd get my $$$ first due to that experience.

OK, off soap box. The offer from the company above is a no go. They should offer to have you ship the gun back, at their costs both directions, and returned with the new correctly fitted barrel period. That's how all the companies I have done biz with for some gun that needed some work due to an issue with the gun not caused by me. Hell, I sent a gun back to S&W for some after market work and they replaced the slide because they said they found a small crack in it!

Note came with it saying something like "we did the work you sent the gun in for, and replaced the slide due to small crack discovered"

Now that's CS as it should be in my view.

Fitted on your dime by a local smith? Hell no. If they wont make it right, let them know that's the last gun you'll be buying from them and sell it.

If you do right by people, they will tell 10 of their friends. Do wrong by people, and they will tell 100 of their friends.

ST911
08-27-13, 10:55
If the product is defective, I expect a manufacturer to either issue a pre-paid shipping label with their RMA, or reimburse the cost of shipping. On a case by case basis, reimbursement via a credit may be acceptable.

If the product is returned because the customer does not follow directions, performs unauthorized tasks, is incapable of producing advertised performance, or is a dolt, costs should come from their pocket. However, many (most) manufacturers will eat a great many costs associated with these users rather than risk alienating customers and bad PR.

When I return a product, I provide a detailed, written description of the product's history, the problem, diagnostics, etc. I will include pics if I have them. Doing so has helped the results of my product returns a great deal.

tom frost
08-27-13, 10:55
Has the OP identified the manufacturer in question?

Airhasz
08-27-13, 10:57
That's understandable. Its how they handle fixing the issue that matters.
Well in the future at least we'll know who to give our business to. From what I've read while searching for other people who have had this kind of issue, Daniel Defense seems to be the absolute best. Noveske is excellent as well. I've had interactions with both of their CS departments and both were exceptional. Glock took care of a bad Gen3 19 for me very quickly and easily also.

I just wanted to add Vortex Optics to the list of quick, friendly CS.

Jaysop
08-27-13, 11:00

This will probably just turn into a bash fest if people start naming the problematic manufactures. Most of us know who they are and they can be searched using the search bar up top.
The one I have been dealing with was a shock. I haven't heard anything bad about them in the past. I don't know why they've made it difficult.

Miami_JBT
08-27-13, 11:10
Back during the AWB my father purchased a Colt 6721 on Dept Letter Head. Rifle would not work out of the box. He contacted Colt, explained the issue, etc... Colt told him to ship it back on his own dime. Remember now that this was during the AWB, so a brand new privately owned AR with all the evil features wasn't an easy thing.

This was also before the day of social media. He resorted to informing Colt that if they didn't fix the issue then he would send letters and photos to the PBA Heat news letter and let every cop in Florida now that Colt won't do what's right. He also went up the chain in Colt and got a big wig to hear him out. The executive sent out a prepaid shipping label and made sure it was taken care of.

Rifle came back 110% and Colt threw in brand new in the wrap 20rd mags. This of course was all amazing to a 16 year old since the AWB was on and made things extremely hard. He still has that rifle and used it until the day he retired. Its now his HD rifle. Moral of the story is be professional, be polite, be firm, contact the higher ups in the company, and also have a plan just in case they tell you to FOAD. Bad press on bad customer service is never a good thing. Sadly a company might screw up due to a moron and not policy. Give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they will take care of it. If not hit 'em after all other options don't work.

tom frost
08-27-13, 11:10
This will probably just turn into a bash fest if people start naming the problematic manufactures. Most of us know who they are and they can be searched using the search bar up top.
The one I have been dealing with was a shock. I haven't heard anything bad about them in the past. I don't know why they've made it difficult.

Isn't that kind of the only point of this type of a conversation?... to identify poor CD and supply others with the info to make the choice to deal with said manufacturer? I don't care about bashing... but identification would lend a point to the discussion. Whether or not a consumer should pay shipping for service of a defective brand new product seems like a rhetorical question. Does anyone actually hold an opposing opinion on this issue?

ST911
08-27-13, 11:12

What a great time for a reminder, not unique to you guys...

Forum rules establish that members should contact manufacturers to resolve problems first before making their issue public. Asking about issues in the abstract is allowable, but sometimes lacks the detail needed for us to be truly helpful. Let good judgement prevail. Link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

Airhasz
08-27-13, 11:28
OP did contact the company first and is displeased with their procedure. I personally do not think it is unreasonable and would like to know what companies require customers to pay more money (shipping) to have poorly manufactured products returned/repaired and which companies bend over backwards to keep customers happy campers.

azeriosu85
08-27-13, 13:37
The BEST CS in my experience is Ruger hands down. They ate at LEAST $150 in shipping charges due to M idiotic mistake. I can not commend them enough, I also just recently had an issue with my M&P 9 FDE. Called S&W, one of my new FDE M&P 9's was not dropping mags regularly after last shot, called them, told em, i have a prepaid shipping label today :D

Push for it, it was THEIR fault for this issue THEY should fix it. By the way, i might have missed it but what mfg. are you dealing with here?

Shorts
08-27-13, 14:33
I have not disclosed who the manf. is and I do not feel comfortable doing so until the matter is complete. As SkinTop pointed out the rules, I intend to abide. The manf. is an established big brand, not a fly by night company. I don't think I would be out of line saying they know better. We have dealt with this company once in the past for an RMA and in that instance they first tried the "send it to us on your dime" approach. After a short discussion of that gun being new there was no way we were paying out of pocket to fix a new gun, they relented and sent a fully paid label. We were satisfied with that and glad to receive a working gun. They build great firearms. But according to internet forums/users it seems their QC has been suffering for whatever reason.

If it is helpful to the conversation and not out of line I have the pictures I sent the CS and will post them if the staff finds it acceptable. I wouldn't post anything identifying, just the barrel face will suffice.

I saw it asked "What is a barrel face?". It is the chamber end of the barrel that sits against the breech face of the slide. I have googled to see if this has come up before but the closest I came was some crown nicks which is at the other end and nothing to do with my issue. If I had to describe it, it looks like someone took a Dremel to it to relieve face battering. If that turns out true, then that means the barrel was out of spec to begin with. The photos do show the grind marks very clearly as it is bare metal. It shows the black finish coating in a few spots too. I believe this barrel was hacked on after it was finished. That is just my speculation. The fact remains this barrel should not have made it out of QC. It never should have been put on a gun.

Within all this surface ugliness, the functional concern I have is that the barrel is out of spec. To bring you to the train of thought I am using, consider a 1911 barrel to slide fitment. Particularly the barrel hood/breech face/battering/fitment considerations. This also affects the lower lug. I paid for a new gun and I expect a new gun with new parts.

I have not given an answer to the CS rep as of yet. I took the day to think about it, get some perspective from you folks here and think out my approach and wording. I want to push for the manf. to step up to the plate and do the right thing to cover the cost of this RMA. If this gun came out of the factory with a good barrel in there we would not be having this conversation.

Like I said, I have photos. I took them on Sunday, the day I brought the gun home. I immediately noticed the grind marks and looked at our other gun to compare. It was only this morning that I looked at the photos I took Sunday. When I saw with fresh eyes what they looked like, yeah I needed to contact CS, which I did. Then I came here for perspective on the RMA situation. So, this is where I am at.

bluejackets92fs
08-27-13, 14:35
I would be livid. No way am I paying to send a firearm back that shouldn't have left in the first place.

tom frost
08-27-13, 16:06
I saw it asked "What is a barrel face?". It is the chamber end of the barrel that sits against the breech face of the slide.

So, the face of the chamber? Like to the left and right of the feed ramp? Because the barrel ends where the chamber begins (traveling from muzzle to feed ramp) right?

T2C
08-27-13, 16:18
I would have taken it back to the shop where I purchased the handgun.

If that is not an option, I would work my way up the administative chain of command at the handgun manufacturer and ask them why you should have to bear the expense of return shipping for a defective product that has not been used.

Like everyone else, I would like to see photos of the barrel hood.

Shorts
08-27-13, 16:26
Ok, pictures:

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/7051/vd93.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2388/kn24.jpg

steyrman13
08-27-13, 16:29
Ok, pictures:

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/7051/vd93.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2388/kn24.jpg

Did you not inspect it in the LGS?

Shorts
08-27-13, 16:29
I would have taken it back to the shop where I purchased the handgun.

If that is not an option, I would work my way up the administative chain of command at the handgun manufacturer and ask them why you should have to bear the expense of return shipping for a defective product that has not been used.

Like everyone else, I would like to see photos of the barrel hood.

You know, this might not be a bad way to go. I will think about it. We visited with them for a little while at the gun show and really enjoyed their group. They also had several other models in stock, albeit different finish/package which is why I picked this particular gun.

Edit: I just checked with the other half, they had an explicit policy that any issues after a sale would have to be done through the manf. So this option is out. I will be sticking to the original plan to pursue this with the manf.

Shorts
08-27-13, 16:34
Did you not inspect it in the LGS?

I did inspect but didn't see the extent of the damage on the hood or the left edge until I was able to break it down when I got home. I was at a dealer table at a gun show. I will take the lashes for not being observant if that needs to be done.

tom frost
08-27-13, 16:48
Well, that is a seriously screwed up surface. That is a really weird looking feed tramp too, it looks excessively long and narrow. I am very curious as to what pistol that barrel is from...

mbogo
08-27-13, 16:50
Wow! It looks like someone swapped in a damaged part at some point in the pipeline.

mbogo

steyrman13
08-27-13, 16:57
Wow! It looks like someone swapped in a damaged part at some point in the pipeline.

mbogo

Could it be the gun show dealer?

mbogo
08-27-13, 17:00
Or one of his sales clerks.

mbogo

C4IGrant
08-27-13, 17:06

Thanks.

I personally think the manufacturer SHOULD PAY shipping both ways.

With that out of the way, I have seen more and more gun manufacturers going to the "owner" pay system. I think they does this for several reasons. They are:

1. Cuts down on shipping costs.
2. Makes owner strongly reconsider sending their gun in for anything minor (thusly saving the company armorer time which means money saved).

For instance SIG has the owner pay for shipping both ways. On a HG (that has to go over night via UPS or Fedex) this can be hundreds of dollars with insurance. Pass.

You can also talk to the dealer you bought the gun from and see if they can help. If nothing else, they can ship the gun via USPS (which is cheaper).

C4

T2C
08-27-13, 17:12
I haven't seen workmanship that bad on a $50 handgun. I would be very surprised if it left the factory looking like that. I would have a chat with the gunshop owner before I sent the handgun back to the manufacturer.

You may want to send photographs to the manufacturer. They would be particularly interested in knowing who is selling their product in this condition if in fact it did not leave the factory this way.

Averageman
08-27-13, 20:07
I haven't seen workmanship that bad on a $50 handgun. I would be very surprised if it left the factory looking like that. I would have a chat with the gunshop owner before I sent the handgun back to the manufacturer.

You may want to send photographs to the manufacturer. They would be particularly interested in knowing who is selling their product in this condition if in fact it did not leave the factory this way.

I agree, I would send that to the CS guy you had on the phone with the explanation you have given here.
I had an issue with a manufacturer and I got nowhere with CS. I just began posting my experience on the boards I visited along with pictures and continued to address the CS, and QC and push the issue up the chain of command.
By the time I got to the V.P., he already knew my posting name from posting my experience on the web. I got the issue finally fixed and again posted my experiences for everyone to read.
I look at it this way as long as you are honest you can only try and keep everyone else honest, but sometimes you can help the next guy from getting a POS.
Pictures like the ones you have posted weigh heavily.

Shorts
08-27-13, 21:18
I have no reason to suspect the dealer had anything to do with this but I sent them an email as a head's up. I checked the manf date of the gun, it is Aug 6, 2013. This gun was just born.

This evening I replied to CS. I expect to hear from him tomorrow and we will see where we are at.

ETA: for reference, here is what a good barrel looks like with ~500rds (sorry about the pics. I'm not good taking photos without natural light).

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/375/o8tq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/7229/m926.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/9493/hkwj.jpg

Timbonez
08-27-13, 22:22

With that out of the way, I have seen more and more gun manufacturers going to the "owner" pay system. I think they does this for several reasons. They are:

1. Cuts down on shipping costs.
2. Makes owner strongly reconsider sending their gun in for anything minor (thusly saving the company armorer time which means money saved).

For instance SIG has the owner pay for shipping both ways. On a HG (that has to go over night via UPS or Fedex) this can be hundreds of dollars with insurance. Pass.

You can also talk to the dealer you bought the gun from and see if they can help. If nothing else, they can ship the gun via USPS (which is cheaper).

C4

That's not true. Spring 2012 I had to send a P220 extreme back to SIG because I cracked the left rear part of the slide rails when trying to adjust the rear sight (don't ask). I called them up and explained the situation. I even told them that I had no problem paying for a new slide. The CS rep seemed incredulous that I was able to crack the rail, but I did. I paid for shipping (the whole pistol) to SIG, and a week later I had my pistol back with a brand new slide. Shipping back to me and the new slide was paid for by SIG. It may be on a case by case basis, but seeing as the issue was completely my fault and I got a free replacement and free shipping back to me, I'd call that CS above and beyond what should be expected.

RHINOWSO
08-28-13, 05:53
Manufacturer should pay.

C4IGrant
08-28-13, 08:41
That's not true. Spring 2012 I had to send a P220 extreme back to SIG because I cracked the left rear part of the slide rails when trying to adjust the rear sight (don't ask). I called them up and explained the situation. I even told them that I had no problem paying for a new slide. The CS rep seemed incredulous that I was able to crack the rail, but I did. I paid for shipping (the whole pistol) to SIG, and a week later I had my pistol back with a brand new slide. Shipping back to me and the new slide was paid for by SIG. It may be on a case by case basis, but seeing as the issue was completely my fault and I got a free replacement and free shipping back to me, I'd call that CS above and beyond what should be expected.

Case by case. Just had a local customer come in and show me his none functioning SIG and they would not pay any shipping.

C4

Shorts
08-28-13, 09:30
This morning I received an email from the manf. CS rep and an email response from the dealer. I am pleased to update that I have received a pre-paid RMA label from the manf. I am shipping this gun today.

I appreciate the discussion and perspective. I will update when my gun returns.

Thanks yall.

Raven Armament
08-28-13, 10:21

I agree with both. I think the manufacturer should pay both ways if it's under warranty. When a customer of mine brings a gun in to send back to the manufacturer, I don't charge a processing fee, just pay the actual shipping and I'll get it on its way.

mbogo
08-28-13, 10:22
Good for you. Persistence pays off.

mbogo

LOBO
08-31-13, 00:39
Glad to hear they came around.

Shorts
09-15-13, 08:11
Updating...

Got the gun in my hands yesterday. Inspecting it, they replaced the barrel. The work order states inspect gun, replace gun, test fire & no malfunctions. I plan to get it to the range tomorrow.

ST911
09-15-13, 09:15
A variation on the original question...

How many of you return a defective gun to the dealer/point of sale for processing with the manufacturer, vs communicating with the manufacturer and dealing with them directly? Why?

My answer: I prefer to deal with manufacturer service departments directly. My OCD wants to ensure my issues and observations are communicated precisely, and that information and resolution flows back through me the same way. I appreciate customer service and the willingness of many retailers to make things right, but I've found that they can be an added layer that sometimes complicates resolution and increases time delays.

Shorts
09-15-13, 09:30
A variation on the original question...

How many of you return a defective gun to the dealer/point of sale for processing with the manufacturer, vs communicating with the manufacturer and dealing with them directly? Why?

My answer: I prefer to deal with manufacturer service departments directly. My OCD wants to ensure my issues and observations are communicated precisely, and that information and resolution flows back through me the same way. I appreciate customer service and the willingness of many retailers to make things right, but I've found that they can be an added layer that sometimes complicates resolution and increases time delays.

In this case here the dealer's posted policy stated all issues after the sale would be done through the manf. After contacting the manf. about my issue and posting here I sent my dealer a courtesy/heads up email. He immediately contacted his manf. rep and offered his help if I needed. I asked him/his rep to push on his end and in a matter of minutes I had a resolution email from the manf.

Needless to say I was/am impressed at the influence of my dealer. I think that was very stand-up of him. He took care of a customer, me.

I am however slightly rubbed that the manf.'s first attempt was to stiff arm me a bit and brush me off. This was not our first dealing with this manf. on an RMA issue. Perhaps that should be a sign. But the firearm models themselves are filling their role. It is the bugs that get in the way.

Anyhow, I've dealt with good CS from manf. I prefer to deal with them based on the expectation they will take care of their customers and products. That service goes into the reputation and name as much as the performance of their products.

Shorts
09-16-13, 15:08
Updating...

Got the gun in my hands yesterday. Inspecting it, they replaced the barrel. The work order states inspect gun, replace gun, test fire & no malfunctions. I plan to get it to the range tomorrow.

Went to the range today I put 200rds FMJ through (50ea of PMC, S&B, WWB, Monarch), no failures, no stoppages. I put another 25rds JHP (Magtech, Hornady), also no failures, no stoppages. I fired slowly. I fired rapidly. Everything worked. It ate everything, like a fat man at a buffet.

I am real pleased with this gun now.

New barrel after cleaning.
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/7488/z7q7.jpg

SeriousStudent
09-16-13, 23:05
Very much better! I'm glad they fixed it, glad you had ammo, and glad you had range time.

Trifecta! :D

Shorts
09-17-13, 07:51
Very much better! I'm glad they fixed it, glad you had ammo, and glad you had range time.

Trifecta! :D

Thanks! And that ^^ will be the big one. 1k rounds? No sweat.

...mumblemumblepricejumpmumble.... :D

T2C
09-17-13, 11:39
Your experience is how a customer service complaint should be handled by a reputable firearm manufacturer.

Tzook
09-17-13, 15:17
It should be them, no question. I wouldn't take no for an answer on this, they need to cover shipping.

Rockhopper
09-18-13, 00:11

C4

this is not true. i have very recently sent a sig back to the factory and they picked up the tab both ways.

Rockhopper
09-18-13, 00:21
Case by case. Just had a local customer come in and show me his none functioning SIG and they would not pay any shipping.

C4sorry just read this