PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Recoil spring?

jerhelo
08-27-13, 23:02
Changing the recoil spring in my glock 17 with a captured spring assembly. 13 pound or 15 pound?

warpedcamshaft
08-27-13, 23:06
My personal opinion is:

Factory Glock 17 recoil spring assembly... unless I had very compelling reasons or evidence to choose something else.

Would you mind specifying why you are moving away from a factory recoil spring assembly?

SpeedRacer
08-27-13, 23:11
My personal opinion is:

Factory Glock 17 recoil spring assembly... unless I had very compelling reasons or evidence to choose something else.

Would you mind specifying why you are moving away from a factory recoil spring assembly?

What he said. If you're changing it because it's a comp gun and you need to tune it for a specific ammo load, it would help to have details on that. If you're doing it "just because", I wouldn't. Save your money and buy a couple boxes of ammo.

jerhelo
08-27-13, 23:14
What he said. If you're changing it because it's a comp gun and you need to tune it for a specific ammo load, it would help to have details on that. If you're doing it "just because", I wouldn't. Save your money and buy a couple boxes of ammo.

It is a range gun, has 3.5 pound trigger, ZEV spring set and titanium plunger. Was hearing that the 13 pound recoil spring help keep if flat under high rates of fire, able to get back on target quicker.

Magsz
08-28-13, 13:24
It is a range gun, has 3.5 pound trigger, ZEV spring set and titanium plunger. Was hearing that the 13 pound recoil spring help keep if flat under high rates of fire, able to get back on target quicker.

This is entirely dependent on your ammo load...

There is no universal solution for springs.

As a data point, i run 14 pound round wire ISMI springs in my competition Glocks which run 132k-136k power factor ammo.

snakedoctor
08-28-13, 13:27
Buy the 13 lb spring, and if you feel that it's still too much cut off 2 coils to bring it to 11 lbs.

Magsz
08-28-13, 13:47
Buy the 13 lb spring, and if you feel that it's still too much cut off 2 coils to bring it to 11 lbs.

Cutting two coils does not reduce the spring to 11 pounds...

Moltke
08-28-13, 13:50
Buy it and try it, but keep your factory springs on hand just in case.

bullittmcqueen
08-28-13, 14:02
When i went to 13# on my 34 competition gun, I began having light strikes with some factory ammo. Changing to a lightning strike extended striker fixed the problem. This route is way more expensive than just keeping the factory spring. I can say it does feel different recoil wise but I'm not sure there is much of an advantage to be honest.

Mr blasty
08-28-13, 14:05
When i went to 13# on my 34 competition gun, I began having light strikes with some factory ammo. Changing to a lightning strike extended striker fixed the problem. This route is way more expensive than just keeping the factory spring. I can say it does feel different recoil wise but I'm not sure there is much of an advantage to be honest.

Wrong spring. He's talking about the recoil spring

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

bullittmcqueen
08-28-13, 14:06
That would be exactly which spring I am talking about.

Moltke
08-28-13, 14:12
The recoil spring affects slide velocity.

The striker spring affects striker velocity.

Slide velocity does not affect striker velocity.

----------

Glad you're not having problems anymore.

Read this if you care to - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=137195

SPDGG
08-28-13, 14:34
imho/fwiw:

As stated above & Agree with above:

- Changing spring rates +/- lbs. is to pair up with reduced/higher pressure comp/pf loads. Tuning the gun for a particular app.

If this is not a sport/game gun then, leave it as it and use as is. Never had any issues running bulk ammo or SD rounds with any factory setup.

I think the only time you should change things is when you can actually take advantage of the mod(s). Most shooters have a hard time tracking the sight & the cycling rhythm during higher round strings/drills. First is to learn, ingrain, fine tune . . . repeat.

As stated, keep it as is unless you are only shooting reduced bulk/hand loads.

"To each their own"

Magsz
08-28-13, 15:00
The recoil spring affects slide velocity.

The striker spring affects striker velocity.

Slide velocity does not affect striker velocity.

----------

Glad you're not having problems anymore.

Read this if you care to - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=137195

This is true, however, on a Glock the springs pull in opposite directions when the gun is cocked.

You can actually spring a Glock so light that it will not return to battery and can actually end up being dangerous.

Moltke
08-28-13, 15:07
This is true, however, on a Glock the springs pull in opposite directions when the gun is cocked.

You can actually spring a Glock so light that it will not return to battery and can actually end up being dangerous.

Say what now?

Magsz
08-28-13, 17:55
Take your recoil spring out of the gun.

Put the slide on the gun.

You will feel tension in the assembly when you draw the slide towards where it would naturally rest if the gun was "locked up".

The striker on the Glock is partially cocked when the trigger is forward. The recoil spring acts in opposition to this.

You can read further about this on the Brian Enos forums.