PDA

View Full Version : Sig p227

FAB45
08-27-13, 23:10
So what's the latest on this rig?

Sensei
08-28-13, 03:06
I have one - bought it 3 weeks ago. So far, only 150 rounds of ball but no malfunctions. Here is my initial impressions.

Size: It is virtually identical to the P226 in most dimensions. It will fit in any P226-compatible holster including the RCS phantom that I have for my P226s (yes, I have several).

Grip: This is where the size is a little different. It is a fraction of an inch thicker than the P226. I notice this when I hold my P226 in one hand and my P227 in the other, but the slight size difference does not change my draw presentation. The grip also use a "screwless" E2 style grip. I like the lack of screws, but personally prefer the classic grip contours to the E2 that I've grown accustomed to over the years. The grip texture is nice and it did a great job with traction on my sweaty hands during the hot day. The front strap checkering is also more aggressive than that found on the P226 series. The grip does have one very nice added feature - a recess at the top of the front strap and near the trigger guard. Those with larger hands will enjoy this little detail as it minimizes the crowding of one's fingers under the trigger guard when using an aggressive, thumbs-forward grip.

Trigger: It comes with the short trigger. Not a big deal for me, but I prefer the standard P226 trigger. The pull was a little heavy at just over 11 lbs DA and almost 6 lbs SA. I've seen other reviews with similar weights out of the box which tend to improve a little with use.

Accuracy: Typical Sig - this gun is more accurate than me. Granted, I'm coming back to Sigs after shooting Glock 17/19 for the past 5 years. However, I had no problem keeping a fist-sized cluster of ten rounds on the paper at 7 yards firing at rate of about 1 round per second. I kept all but 2 rounds inside of the center -0 on an IDPA target when I repeated this at the 25 yard line. I will re-post a more detailed report as I get more familiar with the gun.

Recoil Essentially identical to the P220. Interestingly it is noticeably sharper than my Gen 4 G21 which is perhaps the softest shooting 45 in my stable (yes, the recoil on my Glock is smoother than my HKs, SA PROs, and M&Ps).

Function: No stoppages in the first 150 rounds. I only shoot ball for the first 250 to look for gross problems. I'll repost once I get a chance to put some Gold Dots or HSTs through it. I typically fail to lock the slide back on the last round about 50% of the time due to thumb placement on the slide release, but this is not the gun's fault.

Magazines: As of tonight, factory spares are non-existent. Not a big deal for me since I typically put 1-2K round through a gun before giving it street creds. However, those needing a duty gun in the next few weeks are SOL for spare mags for the time being. I've seen people using P250 mags after removing a divot on the floor plate since the magazine bodies are identical between the P250 and P227. However, I have no first hand experience with this modification.

Needed Improvements: I have a couple Sigs that have been worked over by Bruce Gray with his reset carry package, and the rest have received the factory short reset trigger. So far, I'm undecided what to do with this one. I'll probably hold off and see how the trigger pull feels after 1-2K rounds. If it is still heavy, the I'll probably go with Bruce assuming that he'll work on a 227. If the weight significantly improves with shooting, I'll probably go with the less expensive factory modification.

Sensei
08-28-13, 11:26
Here is a pic that shows the contoured front strap and more aggressive checkering.

Briman1001
08-28-13, 13:34
Awesome to hear these fit in holsters designed for the P226. Might have to pick one up when the magazine situation gets fixed. Thanks.

Sensei
08-29-13, 01:44
Awesome to hear these fit in holsters designed for the P226. Might have to pick one up when the magazine situation gets fixed. Thanks.

I think that the mag situation is typical for a new release pistol. It will take a few months for production to catch up with demand.

Another issue that I had but did not mention in my initial review was the fact that the magazine baseplates seem a little on the flimsy side. They are made from plastic that appears rather soft. After only 150 rounds worth of use, both mags had multiple small chips on the baseplates from them hitting the deck (packed dirt and loose gravel) during mag changes. I've never seen that on my Glock, HK, or even M&P factory mags. It did not affect function and I see no cracks to cause alarm. The followers seem more sturdy. However, the plastic used to make the plates is nowhere near as dense as that on my other Mec-Gar mags.

Vandal
08-29-13, 02:03
I've been waiting to see one of these pop up on here. Sensei, if you could keep up updated it would be appreciated. I love my P229 and was really glad to hear Sig was coming out with a double stack .45. I think the SRT trigger will get better with some more shooting. There was a noticeable difference in my 229 after the first 1k. Put a set of Trijicon HDs on there and I think I'm sold.

walkin' trails
08-29-13, 07:15
Thanks for the informative review. I always found the grip on the Sigs to be a little big fir me until the E2 came along. Haven't fired one yet, however. I remember Sig tried a double stack based on the 220 about 12-13 years ago but it apparently never took off.

Sensei
09-18-13, 08:26
I put another 100 rounds down the pipe on my way home from work yesterday. Most were performing the FAST drill or my own little version of the FAST drill as I run out of 3x5" cards or ammo:

5 rounds at 7 yards from an IDPA target drawn from a RCS Phantom
1) 2 to the chest
2) slide lock reload
3) 2 more to the chest and one to the head

All rounds must stay in the -0

On my version of the FAST I generally run about 5.5 seconds with a G17 which is a full 1.5-2 seconds faster than the real FAST using the official FAST target. This is because the hit zone on the IDPA head is larger and my version fires one less round.

With the P227 I am significantly slower. My average times approached 7 seconds on my version and 9 seconds on the actual FAST :mad:. My biggest problem is getting that first round off and on target. My other 45 caliber Sigs have Bruce Gray's reduced reset carry package which took just over a pound off the DA pull. Also, that first round on the P227 comes off heavier than any other factory Sig DA triggers that I own.

In terms of reliability, I had zero malfunctions. So, I got some work to do in order to master that DA/SA trigger.

streck
09-18-13, 08:33
How do you perform your draw with the Sig? You should be indexing the trigger during the presentation such that the trigger breaks the shot at the moment of full extension.
Practicing this timing nullifies the issues with the DA pull.

You should be able to do the same and may be faster still with the Glock but you should get under the 6 seconds.

Sensei
09-18-13, 09:15
How do you perform your draw with the Sig? You should be indexing the trigger during the presentation such that the trigger breaks the shot at the moment of full extension.
Practicing this timing nullifies the issues with the DA pull.

You should be able to do the same and may be faster still with the Glock but you should get under the 6 seconds.

I do press outs as you describe, but the transition from striker to DA is not something that I do well with only 200-500 rounds.

With my Gen4 G17 and factory trigger I sit at 6.5-7 seconds for a actual FAST using Todd Green's target and Speer 147 grain Gold Dot. I'm a hair faster with my Springfield PRO running Speer 230 grain Gold Dot.

streck
09-18-13, 09:18
You did describe the 227 as unusually heavy in the trigger but, normaly, the heavy DA shot may put you behind but every follow up shot should be lighter than the Glock (or any striker gun) with a ~4.5lb pull compared to a ~5.5lb striker trigger allowing you to make up time.

Sensei
09-18-13, 09:45
You did describe the 227 as unusually heavy in the trigger but, normaly, the heavy DA shot may put you behind but every follow up shot should be lighter than the Glock (or any striker gun) with a ~4.5lb pull compared to a ~5.5lb striker trigger allowing you to make up time.

I think that some of what happens is the penalty for missed shots. Although I don't have my training log with me at work, I am meticulous about counting every string and assigning the 1 or 2 second penalties for a miss. Thus, my times are an honest reflection of abilities as I don't take mulligans. I had some missed shots on the head / 3x5 card especially during the first 20 minutes of yesterday's session.

I have no doubt that my times will improve. I suppose I should be happy that I'm only dropping 2 seconds at 250 rounds using a new gun and a secondary platform (DA/SA).

LeftThumb
09-22-13, 02:50
A note the Safariland ALS for the Sig p226R does not seem to fit the 227. At least our example doesn't. It became pretty well stuck. I guess it could be because of the ALS ejection port lock up point. I'll be testing a G Code XTI with it tomorrow so we'll see how that works.

Symmetry
09-22-13, 07:13
Sensei,

Would you say that the P227's grip angle is more of a P226 or a P220? For me, the angle of the P220 is much more natural and my sights line up easily when I point the pistol. On the P226, it does not point naturally and I must consciously cant my wrist to raise the front sight.

Over the years, I've found that the P220, P245, P228, P229, and P232 all have a more natural grip angle. The P226, P225, and P239 all require me to change my grip to elevate the front sight.

Sensei
09-22-13, 22:38
Sensei,

Would you say that the P227's grip angle is more of a P226 or a P220? For me, the angle of the P220 is much more natural and my sights line up easily when I point the pistol. On the P226, it does not point naturally and I must consciously cant my wrist to raise the front sight.

Over the years, I've found that the P220, P245, P228, P229, and P232 all have a more natural grip angle. The P226, P225, and P239 all require me to change my grip to elevate the front sight.

Interesting question. The P227 feels much more like a P226 in my hands. I'm not sure if this is due to a difference in the angle, or simply due to the sheer thickness of the P227's grip which is actually a hair thicker than a P226. Although I prefer my P220's slim grips, the P227 is not horrible. I'll try to take a picture of my P227's grip stacked on a P220 tomorrow so that you can look at the angle. However, I suggest you lay hands on both the P227 vs P220 before you commit the coin.

big_pErm
09-23-13, 20:13
That is a unicorn in my neck of the woods, would love to get my hands on one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KCBRUIN
10-15-13, 21:43
Got to finger bang a 227 today. I carry a 220 for work, and have gone through a love hate relationship with it. I immediately fell in love with the 227 as soon as I held it. The grip feels night and day different compared to the 220. It points much easier for me than my 220, and the grips feel have a real nice texture for factory made.

We're possibly switching over to the 227 this year, and I'm in full lust mode now.

Rob_0811
10-16-13, 13:05
Got to finger bang a 227 today. I carry a 220 for work, and have gone through a love hate relationship with it. I immediately fell in love with the 227 as soon as I held it. The grip feels night and day different compared to the 220. It points much easier for me than my 220, and the grips feel have a real nice texture for factory made.

We're possibly switching over to the 227 this year, and I'm in full lust mode now.

So the grip didn't feel larger than the 220? Odd since the 220 is a single stack.

Sensei
10-16-13, 15:40
So the grip didn't feel larger than the 220? Odd since the 220 is a single stack.

I read his post saying that the grip felt night a day different between the P227 and P220. That would reflect my experience as well since the P227 feels much more like a P226.

JHC
10-16-13, 16:53
Great review. Jeez that thing is a sexy looking devil.

KCBRUIN
10-16-13, 23:06

I read his post saying that the grip felt night a day different between the P227 and P220. That would reflect my experience as well since the P227 feels much more like a P226.

I had my glock on my hip so I couldn't compare the two side by side. I'm not sure if it felt larger or smaller, but it felt much better regardless.