PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDs Safety Recall

ST911
08-28-13, 18:22
http://www.springfieldrecall.com/

3.3 XD-S™ SAFETY RECALL

Issued August 28, 2013

Technical Background Get Started Contact Us Springfield-Armory.com
Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

What should you do?

STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

To begin the upgrade process and for fastest response, click on the Get Started link at the top of the page. On that page enter your serial number and click Next. If your pistol is subject to this recall, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. The serial number is located on the frame beneath the dust cover (accessory rail). If you prefer, you may initiate the upgrade process by calling 800-680-6866. If you no longer own the 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol, please advise Springfield of the current owner.

XD-S Serial Number

What pistols are involved?

This Safety Recall applies only to:
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.

What will Springfield do?

Springfield will send you a return authorization and mailing label, allowing you to return your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol to Springfield at no cost to you. Springfield will upgrade your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol with the new components, and return it to you. Springfield will provide tracking numbers so you can monitor the receipt and return of your upgrades.

Questions?

Visit Springfield Armory. com for further information about this safety recall. You can reach the Springfield Armory Call Center at 800-680-6866. Springfield apologizes for this inconvenience, but your safety is our paramount concern.

We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Springfield products.

MiamiCracker
08-28-13, 18:46
Beat me to it. It's crazy the Shield (which my wife wants) & the XDS (which I was looking at also) have recalls.

ssracer
08-28-13, 20:56
Yup. They are emailing me a FedEx label tomorrow. Have only had mine for a couple of weeks and love it, but now I'll be without it for 2-6 weeks...sucks.

Safetyhit
08-28-13, 21:33
Have only had mine for a couple of weeks and love it, but now I'll be without it for 2-6 weeks...sucks.

You aren't the first, in fact despite the recall this has been a common occurrence for a number of reasons.

BBS
08-28-13, 22:10
I suppose the shield vs xds battle has been squashed. Long live the PPS!

ssracer
09-27-13, 15:37
XD-S™ Recall FAQ
Updated Sept. 27, 2013
This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall FAQ will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that. We also understand your frustration with our lack of follow-up communication to this point and we are committing to you now that we will provide regular updates going forward.

We originally estimated a 30-day turn-around time, but it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution. Please know that we are continuing to test potential upgrade solutions at this time and we have been doing so since we became aware of this issue. This testing is nearing completion and we will post any new updates as soon as we have identified a final upgrade solution. We will post our next update no later than Friday, October 4, and we will communicate immediately if a final solution is identified prior to that date. We wish that we could provide you with a specific return date at this time, but we are unfortunately unable to do so. Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

Why it's taking so long:
We pledge to you that we are working as fast as we can, and have greatly increased our staff and number of shifts to ensure that we are leveraging every hour in the day.

We understand that our decision to announce a voluntary safety recall without a final solution in place has caused confusion and frustration. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. However, your safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. And that is why we decided to issue the voluntary safety recall before we had a guaranteed upgrade solution in place.

Our decision not to wait was based on putting you, our customer, first. Some companies build in several weeks of lead time before announcing their recalls. But, we didn't feel that was the most responsible approach in this case since our priority is your safety.

Please know that we are committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are committed to ensuring that you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

ssracer
10-28-13, 19:59
I got mine back on Friday. Trigger is slightly heavier, but everything else is the same.

azngotskills
10-28-13, 22:01
I have read some mixed reviews but the "upgrade" seems to make it a safer pistol, increase trigger pull by ~1/2 lb, and smoother trigger action.

I have a XDs 45ACP but have not sent it in yet due to the wait times. Also, I hear they are working like crazy to get these out quickly (increased staff and three shift days). I rather wait until the "frenzy" dies down and they take the time to upgrade mine. In the meantime, it will sit in the safe