PDA

View Full Version : LA County Sheriff's Dept goes M&P

Amp Mangum
08-29-13, 06:37
http://www.juliegolob.com/los-angeles-county-sheriffs-department-selects-smith-wesson-mp-pistols

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-29-13, 07:06
10 round mags right? For the children...

Dos Cylindros
08-29-13, 10:31
10 round mags right? For the children...

I spit out my coffee laughing when I read this one. So many things are done "for the children." Sadly "the children" are usually 13 to 17 year old corner crack dealers carrying handguns and shooting anyone for the slightest perceived disrespect.

PatrioticDisorder
08-29-13, 11:48
As an M&P owner I'm not exactly thrilled with this news. Looks like the magazine shortage will continue indefinitely. I just wish Smith woulda had the foresight to anticipate the correct number of mags the market would create a demand for.

Tomahawk_Ghost
08-29-13, 13:18
This is one of the reasons I've stayed with Glock and H&K. It says something when you can find H&K P2000 mags and S&W are nowhere to be found.

kantstudien
08-29-13, 13:48
LASD already tried fielding M&P during an Academy several years ago and ended up pulling the guns out of service for certain "issues."

Anyone remember this? Found the article:

Subject: PLEASE BRIEF YOUR PERSONNEL - Officer Safety - M&P pistols no longer authorized
Importance: High

Quality of Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P pistols has become a concern because of a recent barrel failure on an in-service deputy’s pistol, coupled with additional extraction jams on deputy recruit pistols (46% of recruit class experiencing some degree of malfunctions – mostly phase-2 jam failures to extract spent casings).

A JDIC announcment canceling the authorization of Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P semi-automatic pistol models follows.

Please brief your personnel.

NOTE: Sworn personnel carrying a replacement pistol (instead of a S&W M&P) must shoot pistol qualification ASAP with that replacement on-duty and/or off-duty pistol.

Personnel who were trained to use the M&P pistol during January – April 2009 can contact BC Range for additional information.

SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT

TRAINING BUREAU WEAPONS TRAINING

TO: ALL SWORN PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT - SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #377 RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #377 RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS TO LIEUTENANT MICHAEL C. REYNOLDS MCREYNOL@LASD.ORG OR SERGEANT DAVID NELL DANELL@LASD.ORG AT THE B.C. RANGE.

LEROY D. BACA, SHERIFF KBL/SNDG

HCM
08-29-13, 14:07
Barrel failure was subsequently found to be due to a Deputy's Do-it -Yourself Dremel Tool gunsmithing.

Re the other failures to extract during the academy class, apparently this issue was resolved as LASD re-authorized the M&P 9mm as a POW for Deputies in 2010.