PDA

View Full Version : MGW M&P Sight Tool

jmp45
08-30-13, 17:30
I'm looking at getting a sight tool for a 9fs m&p. Are all the m&p versions essentially the same excluding the shield model? MGW318 the same as the Ameriglo SWTool12 etc? If there's been any revisons I want to make sure I can acquire the most recent version.

Dos Cylindros
08-30-13, 17:40
I have the MGW tool and have had it for about two years. I have done sights on about a dozen M&P's with it and it works great. I have used it on older and new production M&P's with no issues. It's a very well built tool in my opinion and experience.

jmp45
08-30-13, 17:44
Thanks Dos, I was curious if the tool itself has gone through any changes from the different suppliers and labels. Rear sight is not going to budge without one. I read somewhere that an overnight in the freezer and some kroil or some lube helps.

Dos Cylindros
08-30-13, 19:15
Thanks Dos, I was curious if the tool itself has gone through any changes from the different suppliers and labels. Rear sight is not going to budge without one. I read somewhere that an overnight in the freezer and some kroil or some lube helps.

I know the MGW Shield specific model has undergone some revisions, but I don't think the standard M&P model has changed. I have also used this tool, and while not as refined as the MGW tool, it works really well.

www.sightpusher.com

jmp45
08-30-13, 19:24
Thanks Dos, I have one those sight pushers. No luck on the m&p, it actually sprung the pusher frame out of shape. Threads are coarse and it just bound up under force. I picked up an mgw for my glocks, quality is top notch.

So I take it the blue ameriglo m&p mgw is the same as the black mgw318, just cosmetic differences.

Dos Cylindros
08-30-13, 20:21
So I take it the blue ameriglo m&p mgw is the same as the black mgw318, just cosmetic differences.

I do believe that is the case. If its not, hopefully somebody with more info will chime in.

SpeedRacer
08-30-13, 22:48
I'm a big fan of the MGW pushers. It is a pretty big investment to do one pistol though.

Tell ya what, of you're only doing one pistol I'll mail you mine if you pinky promise to send it back when you're done.

tonyxcom
08-30-13, 23:08
I think the M&P version will get more use than you think - since you need to remove the rear sight anytime you detail strip the slide. So I think it's worth owning.

I purchased the Glock and M&P tools a couple of months ago and between my 6 pistols I have more than gotten my money's worth out of them.

jmp45
08-31-13, 09:09
I'm a big fan of the MGW pushers. It is a pretty big investment to do one pistol though.

Tell ya what, of you're only doing one pistol I'll mail you mine if you pinky promise to send it back when you're done.

Thanks for your kind offer Speedy. I'm going to purchase soon, I may do more than one sight change on this 9fs til I find what works for these old eyes. Might also pick up another m&p down the road.

SpeedRacer
08-31-13, 09:52
Thanks for your kind offer Speedy. I'm going to purchase soon, I may do more than one sight change on this 9fs til I find what works for these old eyes. Might also pick up another m&p down the road.

No prob bud, it's certainly not a bad investment to make. As mentioned above, it's also a necessity to remove the rear sight to detail strip and do trigger work, so it's a good thing to have handy. I've been out of M&Ps so long I forgot about that aspect.

I'd also recommend dropping the $4 for one of these: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/sight-tools/s-w-m-p-rear-sight-tool-prod41023.aspx

Trying to find the little striker block spring plate after launching it into the air is not fun at all...ask me how I know. :D

mike benedict
09-02-13, 06:02
I know the MGW Shield specific model has undergone some revisions, but I don't think the standard M&P model has changed. I have also used this tool, and while not as refined as the MGW tool, it works really well.

www.sightpusher.com

I have this sight pusher also and it works very well. I have used it on Glocks M&Ps and XDs with no issues.