PDA

View Full Version : Storm Lake Drop In vs. Fitted - M&P9

wahoo95
08-31-13, 07:09
I have a chance to pick up a Storm Lake Drop In threaded barrel for my M&P9 and wanted to know if this would be a comparable option to the Storm Lake Fitted barrels I've seen discussed here recently which seem to be much more accurate?

Hmac
08-31-13, 09:10
From what I have read here, no. The drop-in SL barrel isn't even close to the fitted barrel in terms of accuracy but may be a little better than the S&W original barrel on some pistols. For that matter, however, later model S&W barrels may be better than some of the earlier model barrels. AFAIK, if you need a threaded barrel, a drop-in barrel may be your only option. Check with Randy Lee, see if he's doing threaded barrels. Grant might also be doing some, not sure.

I had a Storm Lake barrel fitted for my M&P 9L. Took it from 6-7 inch groups to 2 inch groups (25 yd sandbag). Cost me $200 (not including shipping) and 30 days.

supersix4
08-31-13, 11:29
From what I have read here, no. The drop-in SL barrel isn't even close to the fitted barrel in terms of accuracy but may be a little better than the S&W original barrel on some pistols. For that matter, however, later model S&W barrels may be better than some of the earlier model barrels. AFAIK, if you need a threaded barrel, a drop-in barrel may be your only option. Check with Randy Lee, see if he's doing threaded barrels. Grant might also be doing some, not sure.

I had a Storm Lake barrel fitted for my M&P 9L. Took it from 6-7 inch groups to 2 inch groups (25 yd sandbag). Cost me $200 (not including shipping) and 30 days.

Who did the fitting?

wahoo95
08-31-13, 12:19
Did you use G&R? I assumed the fitted would be better but wanted to make sure. Guess I'll pass on this offer and send it off to Grant if he's still doing that.

Hmac
08-31-13, 17:31
Who did the fitting?

Grant did the fitting. 30 days and $200. Nothing to complain about there. It was an excellent job.

SPDGG
08-31-13, 18:46
A Match Fit Barrel will, in most cases, be superior in bench accuracy from a OE & Drop in Barrel for the M&P or Glock. The difference will be more apparent with longer distance shots/groups. 20+ yards.

rauchman
09-01-13, 09:53
Is reliability compromised at all w/ the barrel?

Hmac
09-01-13, 11:14
Is reliability compromised at all w/ the barrel?

It sure wasn't for me. The thing runs like a watch.

azeriosu85
09-01-13, 22:02
or you can buy one of the newest generation M&P's with the newer "dot" barrel, and be good to go, and have ALOT more money left over to buy things, like ammo, glitter parties at the strip club, whatever

Djstorm100
09-02-13, 01:24
or you can buy one of the newest generation M&P's with the newer "dot" barrel, and be good to go, and have ALOT more money left over to buy things, like ammo, glitter parties at the strip club, whatever

What is this "dot" barrel? When did this generation get released?

azeriosu85
09-02-13, 02:19
What is this "dot" barrel? When did this generation get released?

it has a "dot" ping mark on the underside by the (lugs?). It is the newest correct twist rate, and the lock up is rock solid on my two i have Plus the the trigger is SWEET with audible and tactile reset.

alvincullumyork
09-02-13, 11:57
I have a chance to pick up a Storm Lake Drop In threaded barrel for my M&P9 and wanted to know if this would be a comparable option to the Storm Lake Fitted barrels I've seen discussed here recently which seem to be much more accurate?

...Snip...

If you want more accuracy and a threaded barrel you could have grant fit an L barrel to your pistol and then have it threaded.

Hmac
09-02-13, 12:23
oops...never mind