PDA

View Full Version : '09 M&P, AEK/FSS vs AEK/DCAEK, and...parts update?

RadioActivity
09-01-13, 02:39
I have an M&P9FS, 9c, and .45FS all with thumb safeties and DCAEK's from APEX.

Now I see they have the polymer AEK (new trigger itself) and the FSS.

My question is, if I purchase an AEK and install it with my current DCAEK, how does that compare to swapping to the full AEK and FSS?

I read that the AEK alone removes about 20% of pre-travel. Sounds good, but I'm really curious how this compares to the AEK with FSS? Can anyone quote numbers or take a really good educated guess on FSS pre and post travel and compare and contrast that to the DCAEK with AEK?

Last but not least, my gun being an '09 purchase, are there any updates (for instance I'm reading that a new sear block has been implemented?) that I should go ahead and do? Thanks guys...parts sitting in my shopping cart as we speak, waiting on some advice before making the purchases.

RadioActivity
09-02-13, 14:37
Nobody? Maybe a PM to Grant is in order.

tom frost
09-02-13, 14:46
Nobody? Maybe a PM to Grant is in order.

Well, I can tell you I'm really interested in seeing replies, because these are the EXACT configurations I have been considering (with the only exception being I do not have anything that dates back as far as '09).

If you don't get a reply, but purchase anyway, please post back with your thoughts on the results. Thanks.

RadioActivity
09-02-13, 15:38
No problem, I figured I couldn't be the only one with this question. The difficulty is that most people don't swap parts multiple times to see which is "best" (best for them at least). I'm going to ping Grant and Apex themselves, as that's about the best I can think of for insight into the matter.

I'll post up any and all info I get back here.

C4IGrant
09-03-13, 08:49
I run a DCAEK with the AEK trigger. It is awesome and with a proper polish job, sits right at 4.5LBS.

The polymer version of the AEK is also excellent and is half the price of the Aluminum. IMHO, it does not feel as good as the Alum. version, but someone will be along shortly to tell you differently. So I would try one for yourself and see.

The factory trigger on the M&P (half moon) SUCKS imho, so the polymer AEK is good upgrade (even with just factory parts).

C4

tom frost
09-03-13, 09:20
I run a DCAEK with the AEK trigger. It is awesome and with a proper polish job, sits right at 4.5LBS.

The polymer version of the AEK is also excellent and is half the price of the Aluminum. IMHO, it does not feel as good as the Alum. version, but someone will be along shortly to tell you differently. So I would try one for yourself and see.

The factory trigger on the M&P (half moon) SUCKS imho, so the polymer AEK is good upgrade (even with just factory parts).

C4

Excellent information!! Thanks

Pinnacle
09-03-13, 12:40
Grant nailed it. The aluminum AEK is better than the polymer (duh).

I have both set ups. The DCAEK with Apex trigger is perfect for duty/carry. The FSS with FSS trigger is more competition IMHO. It dramatically changes the pre travel and trigger placement.

RadioActivity
09-03-13, 16:23
Pinnacle, can you comment on the difference besides "one is for competition, ones for carry". How does the FSS compare to a 1911? Plenty of those being carried...I understand that the FSS is "shorter" of a throw. By how much would give me great insight.

Both of your set ups are with the AEK trigger right? A FSS with AEK, and the DCAEK with AEK trigger?

Pinnacle
09-03-13, 16:33
In my experience the FSS specific setup (FSS & FSS specific AEK trigger) has too little travel to be used on my carry weapons. It has perhaps the same travel as my 1911s and is pretty light. I chose to install it in a competition setup instead where it is fantastic and really shines.

The DCAEK combo with a standard AEK is perfect for carry. The pre travel is only slightly reduced and very smooth.

The difference between the two set ups is dramatic for me.

I hope this helps.

RadioActivity
09-04-13, 14:12
Spoke to Apex one the phone. Here was Jon's comments.

If you already have a DCAEK the AEK will remove about 25% of the trigger travel and Lighten about 1lb across the board. This is why they include a stiffer trigger spring to bring the trigger weight back up (5.5lb DCAEK trigger goes to 4.5lbs, and with included stiffer spring is back to 5.5lbs)

The FSS that comes with its own AEK-like trigger, the trigger pull distance is about .25'', 4.5lbs as is, or 5.5lbs with their stiffer spring. He said this is hands down the nicest trigger you can get, and feels like a quality 1911 trigger.

Last but not least he said that as far as he understands, if you have the silver/chrome looking striker, you most likely have the 1/8th inch spring. The M&P45 only changed finish but didnt have a shape redesign like the 9/40/357, and he doesn't believe the .45 ever came with a 16th inch sear spring. Other than that hes not really aware of any must do revisions, but did recommend their failure resistance extractor.

Schwoo. So then - I am still between going the full monty with a FSS and the associated trigger that comes with the kit, or doing the AEK on my currently DCAEK equipped guns. Everyone keeps reffering to the FSS being very "1911", and then in the same breath "not for carry". Uhhh....plenty of people carry 1911's, so whats the deal? I think people are neglecting to understand that the M&P can be had with thumb safeties, as all of mine are so equipped.

Thoughts?

decodeddiesel
09-04-13, 14:41
Since you have the thumb safety models, I would just get the FSS and AEK and be done with it.

The DCAEK with the AEK is great for CCW where there is no thumb safety on the pistol.

alvincullumyork
09-04-13, 21:22
Spoke to Apex one the phone. Here was Jon's comments.

If you already have a DCAEK the AEK will remove about 25% of the trigger travel and Lighten about 1lb across the board. This is why they include a stiffer trigger spring to bring the trigger weight back up (5.5lb DCAEK trigger goes to 4.5lbs, and with included stiffer spring is back to 5.5lbs)

The FSS that comes with its own AEK-like trigger, the trigger pull distance is about .25'', 4.5lbs as is, or 5.5lbs with their stiffer spring. He said this is hands down the nicest trigger you can get, and feels like a quality 1911 trigger.

Last but not least he said that as far as he understands, if you have the silver/chrome looking striker, you most likely have the 1/8th inch spring. The M&P45 only changed finish but didnt have a shape redesign like the 9/40/357, and he doesn't believe the .45 ever came with a 16th inch sear spring. Other than that hes not really aware of any must do revisions, but did recommend their failure resistance extractor.

Schwoo. So then - I am still between going the full monty with a FSS and the associated trigger that comes with the kit, or doing the AEK on my currently DCAEK equipped guns. Everyone keeps reffering to the FSS being very "1911", and then in the same breath "not for carry". Uhhh....plenty of people carry 1911's, so whats the deal? I think people are neglecting to understand that the M&P can be had with thumb safeties, as all of mine are so equipped.

Thoughts?

Since you have the thumb safety models, I would just get the FSS and AEK and be done with it.

The DCAEK with the AEK is great for CCW where there is no thumb safety on the pistol.

I understand that a trigger can be made to light for carry (thumb safety or not) but even at 4.5 lbs I would think proper trigger discipline the FSS and AEK would be fine. Your thoughts?

decodeddiesel
09-04-13, 23:40
Proper trigger discipline obviously trumps any mechanical safety, passive or active.

Noodles
09-05-13, 11:56
Quick question since I just got a Shield and now considering the AEK trigger...

I have the Apex duty kit for the Shield and the pull is great. But, now and then I've noticed that if either I or another shooter is "too high" on the trigger the second half the trigger is not engaged and the only solution is to purposely move lower on the trigger. Does this happen to anyone else on M&Ps?

It seems like this AEK trigger would allow for being slightly higher (where my grip natually ends up on that gun it seems). Is this is thing or is this user error?

alvincullumyork
09-05-13, 12:41
Quick question since I just got a Shield and now considering the AEK trigger...

I have the Apex duty kit for the Shield and the pull is great. But, now and then I've noticed that if either I or another shooter is "too high" on the trigger the second half the trigger is not engaged and the only solution is to purposely move lower on the trigger. Does this happen to anyone else on M&Ps?

It seems like this AEK trigger would allow for being slightly higher (where my grip natually ends up on that gun it seems). Is this is thing or is this user error?

AEK doesn't work with the shield per Apex's website.

Noodles
09-05-13, 13:03
AEK doesn't work with the shield per Apex's website.

Thought I read it did, well, nevermind... Except that if anyone has had the same issue with the split trigger... ?

Randy Lee
09-05-13, 13:52
Thought I read it did, well, nevermind... Except that if anyone has had the same issue with the split trigger... ?

Hi,

We are working on the Shield trigger now. :)
No ETA as of yet, but because of the safety bulletin put out by Smith last week about their trigger safeties, we are trying to get things ironed out quickly

-Randy