PDA

View Full Version : 9mm: A question about practice ammo

HES
09-02-13, 22:14
I've looked but havent found any answers to my particular question, which is: What are you using for practice ammo and what do you find to be the most satisfactory and why? For instance, I shot a hodge podge of S&B, Rem UMC (plated), Win, and Federal 115gr FMJ and was all over the place. Do you find any particular brand, weight, etc to perform better than any other?

I am now exclusively shooting a PPQ M2. Since money is always an issue, I normally choose to practice with 115 FMJ. I felt that the Federal 115gr FMJ was giving the most consistent accuracy / groups.
Should I look at 124gr and / or JHP? Other brands? Or is this akin to hunting a unicorn?

Disclaimer: I used the search button and didn't find anything that really covered what I was looking for. Also it seems the Reloading & Ammunition forum is more orientated towards 5.56. Having said that, if the mods feel that this should be moved or closed, it's their board. If someones search-fu works better than mine, please post the links.

bowietx
09-02-13, 22:31
Reloading aside, for bulk plinking ammo I normally buy WWB or S&B based upon price and availability. Both shoot reasonably well and I have not had any problem with cycling or any failures with these two choices of ammo. As to whether or not they are dirtier than other options I have found most ammo to leave about the same amount of residue and haven't had a problem cleaning it off. These days with prices being where they are I mostly reload, but that is a whole other conversation. I moved to reloading due to the cost of ammo. If you want to know more PM me and I will be happy to answer your questions.

SeriousStudent
09-02-13, 22:33
I shoot Glock 9mm for semi-autos - the 26, 19 and 17. I have had very good luck with S&B 124-grain FMJ 9mm factory ammo. I bought a bunch last fall, and have been using it only for classes this year. Very accurate, and no ammo-related issues. I'm been shooting reloads for practice sessions, that has been Berry's plated bullets with range scavenged brass.

The 642 eats .38 reloads like a starving college kid at a Chinese buffet. Anything and everything.

Sgt_Gold
09-02-13, 22:41
For anything out to 25 yards I have found that any good commercial brass cased ammunition shoots the same through my G23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel. I have a match prepped Beretta 92f with a KKM match barrel. At 25 yards everything groups well. Reloading is cheaper, but you probably won't see much of a difference at normal training distances no matter what you use.

Captain D
09-02-13, 22:43
Winchester 9mm 124 grain NATO...Good practice ammo.. Velocity is very close to other Winchester 124 grain hollow points, PDX1, Ranger Bonded and if you use adjustable sights the grouping stays very close to the same without haveing to readjust the sights..

SkiDevil
09-02-13, 22:58
Bang for the buck; the most consistent ammunition that I have found to be both economical and accurate is CCI Blazer (brass and aluminum) the Speer loadings are good too but more expensive.

Lately, at least in my area finding any 9mm ball ammo of any brand isn't easy. And if you do find some the prices are typically high $18-25 per box. I bought 250 rounds of PMC 9mm 115 fmj for $96.00 a few weeks ago. I shot a couple of boxes through my HK USP 9C and it was pretty accurate at 15 yards.

It may take some time to find the right load for your pistol. I second the suggestion of reloading if it is feasible for you. I don't at the moment but if things stay how they are I will start myself. The most difficult component to source are the primers. Save your brass because it may come in handy later.

T2C
09-02-13, 23:00
I have seen the best accuracy out of my Glock 17, 19 & 34 with PMC 115g FMJ.

Phillygunguy
09-03-13, 07:15
Mostly what I shoot ( glock 17 ) is American eagle 124 gr which I have in bulk and seems to have more availability in my area. It been pretty reliable for me. I also shoot a lot of Remington disintigrator 9mm +P at my local range only because that's all my range offers and it beats from having to use my own. Its also more consistent as far as felt recoil with my carry ammo Winchester ranger +p . Downside is frangible ammo is $$$ and is hard to clean

Talon167
09-03-13, 07:21
Anything I can find. I mostly prefer Blazer Aluminum just because of the cost.

WillBrink
09-03-13, 08:07
I've looked but havent found any answers to my particular question, which is: What are you using for practice ammo and what do you find to be the most satisfactory and why? For instance, I shot a hodge podge of S&B, Rem UMC (plated), Win, and Federal 115gr FMJ and was all over the place. Do you find any particular brand, weight, etc to perform better than any other?

I am now exclusively shooting a PPQ M2. Since money is always an issue, I normally choose to practice with 115 FMJ. I felt that the Federal 115gr FMJ was giving the most consistent accuracy / groups.
Should I look at 124gr and / or JHP? Other brands? Or is this akin to hunting a unicorn?

Range/pinking/IDPA, ammo, what ever I can actually find at a price (almost) worth paying.

When I was shooting 1911s, I tended to be a bit more picky on ammo (always had good luck with Winchester white box, and spotty feeding with PMC for example) but after going to the M&P 9mm, it's been a garbage eater since day one.

samuse
09-03-13, 08:08
I shoot just about everything in competition. It's all the same. I like to use 147 or 124 grain, but 115 is fine too.

Federal American Eagle
S&B
WWB
NATO

C4IGrant
09-03-13, 08:54

Disclaimer: I used the search button and didn't find anything that really covered what I was looking for. Also it seems the Reloading & Ammunition forum is more orientated towards 5.56. Having said that, if the mods feel that this should be moved or closed, it's their board. If someones search-fu works better than mine, please post the links.

From a consistency, velocity, clean perspective, the Magtech line of ammo is about the best I have fired FOR THE MONEY.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MAGT_9A

C4

RD62
09-03-13, 09:04
For range use (practice and IDPA) I have been shooting mostly Blazer Brass and Federal Champion for the last year or more.

They are not only the most readily available in my area but are also reasonably priced and have proven both reliable and sufficiently accurate in my Glocks.

CAVDOC
09-03-13, 09:41
A couple years back I tested a large amount of ammo in my glock 19 best group (25 yards) was Winchester NATO ball at 2.25 inches, worst was 147 American eagle at a hair under 3 inches with all the bargain 115 falling between these extremes. If your gun is all o er with various 115's it is either a gun that hates 115's ( unlikely) or it is you. I have found every 115 load in the bargain variety to be pretty close as far as power and accuracy. I will however say I prefer the aluminum blazers ( so I don't have to feel bad about leaving behind a few cases on the ground) I do reload 9 and feel bad at a match where I can't recover my brass to use again

halmbarte
09-03-13, 09:58
I've mostly been using the Euro brands for matches and practice. I've got a Uzi and most the USA made ammo is just too weak to cycle the Uzi reliably.

S&B has been a favorite along with RUAG and the Magtech too. I just buy whatever is cheapest in bulk when I want to stock up.

H

Big A
09-03-13, 11:20
I shoot whatever I can find. Mostly Rem UMC and Winchester WB.

Before the shortage hit I would try to buy 124-147gr ammo as those are the weights of the Gold Dots I like to use for carry. Academy used to have the best selection of the various bullet weights but not so much anymore, at least not in my area.

But I'm not shooting matches for dead nuts accuracy. I'm shooting to hone and improve my skills. So any inherent variances between ammo brands is probably gonna wash out with me.

Frailer
09-03-13, 20:44
I'm partial to the Speer Lawman line. I was very fortunate to pick up quite a bit of it at $200-215/case last year.

While I haven't shot enough of it to give it a *ringing* endorsement, I've had very positive experiences with Independence. Federal bulk has worked well for me, too. I've never shot Magtech's 9mm, but I've shot a lot of their 38 Special with good results; ditto for S&B.

I haven't had much luck with WWB.

Kain
09-03-13, 21:08
Generally whatever I can find at somewhat reasonable prices. Anything over $14 and I leave it where it lies. Before the shit hit the fan when I could choose what I wanted I enjoyed S&B 115gr and 124gr, a little zippier and found it to be plenty accurate for my purposes. Other than that whatever is cheaper from Tula to WWB, UMC, or Federal.

opngrnd
09-03-13, 22:51
Delayed ignition has steered me away from WWB. I had a WWB round go off in a delayed fashion, peppering me with burning gun powder. It merely made me leery at first, but when my buddy had two rounds do the same to him within the same month or so, I stopped buying it.
Same buddy also had a Tula round squib, and the next shot blew both rounds out the barrel. It ruined the barrel, and he's lucky it didn't blow up in his hand.
Beyond that, anything brass cased should work fine for practice. I've never had a bad day shooting that I could honestly blame the ammo on. I once won a match with my 45, and went back and reshot the course with my 9mm shooting a free box of Wolf ammo, and did slightly better, point wise.

Swstock
09-03-13, 23:43
The only ammunition related issue that Ive had with my handguns was when running pmc 115gr through my hk p30l.

It would consistently FTE.

Ive used Speer, WWB, Remington, and Federal with no ammo-related issues. A

chadb
09-04-13, 05:06
I shoot a lot of Winchester 115 grain. Works fine for me at the distances I shoot.

Inuvik
09-04-13, 13:56
From a consistency, velocity, clean perspective, the Magtech line of ammo is about the best I have fired FOR THE MONEY.

C4

This. I am super cheap, and will put anything reasonable through my Glocks. However, the 2K rounds of 124 GR Magtech I bought last year was by far the most consitant and high quality ammo I have used.

However, it is hard to judge because of the lack of malfunctions from any ammo including the weird plastic covered bullets Cabelas was selling and lots of misc. reloads from a couple of local vendors.

Right now, I am exclusivelly shooting my own 124 grain reloads using Berry's Bullets and 3.9 grains of TiteGroup with range brass.

FloridaWoodsman
09-07-13, 15:31
The only practice ammo that has given me trouble was Blazer aluminum. After a few years storage, I got a lot of failures to fire.

SeriousStudent
09-07-13, 16:04
The only practice ammo that has given me trouble was Blazer aluminum. After a few years storage, I got a lot of failures to fire.

That's interesting. Was the ammo stored under climate-controlled conditions? Or in a garage or shed outdoors?

Not calling you out at all, just thinking about a couple of boxes of Blazer aluminum 9mm I have stashed that's probably 8 or 9 years old. I'm curious if they would also be affected by this.

Thanks.

FloridaWoodsman
09-07-13, 17:18
That's interesting. Was the ammo stored under climate-controlled conditions? Or in a garage or shed outdoors?

Not calling you out at all, just thinking about a couple of boxes of Blazer aluminum 9mm I have stashed that's probably 8 or 9 years old. I'm curious if they would also be affected by this.

Thanks.
Yes, the Blazer aluminum was in an air-conditioned house. It wasn't just a few misfires either - maybe a quarter of them weren't going off, or would fire on the second try. When the box was new, they worked OK. Unless your ammo is just for practice, I'd suggest you test some.

Ryno12
09-07-13, 18:05
Yes, the Blazer aluminum was in an air-conditioned house. It wasn't just a few misfires either - maybe a quarter of them weren't going off, or would fire on the second try. When the box was new, they worked OK. Unless your ammo is just for practice, I'd suggest you test some.

Weird... Just now I was just going through some of my ammo & came across some Blazer aluminum 10mm that was given to me years ago. I was thinking to myself, wondering if it's worth pulling them & reloading or should I just shoot it up. I think you answered my question. Thanks

Sent via Tapatalk

DanjojoUSMC
09-07-13, 18:20

What were you shooting them out of?

FloridaWoodsman
09-07-13, 19:23
Weird... Just now I was just going through some of my ammo & came across some Blazer aluminum 10mm that was given to me years ago. I was thinking to myself, wondering if it's worth pulling them & reloading or should I just shoot it up. I think you answered my question. Thanks

Sent via Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that reloading aluminum is a no-no.

FloridaWoodsman
09-07-13, 19:26
What were you shooting them out of?
Seems like a Beretta. Other ammo worked fine. Since I've started reloading, I only get brass-cased these days anyway.

Ryno12
09-07-13, 19:35
I'm pretty sure that reloading aluminum is a no-no.

I know... which is the reason why I was pulling the projos. I have no intentions of reusing the cases.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mac5.56
09-07-13, 19:41
Has anyone shot the Herter's polymer coated pistol training ammo?

I have been wondering if it is worth trying out or not.

Inkslinger
09-07-13, 19:49
I believe it's rebranded Tula sold as Cabelas house brand.

Mac5.56
09-07-13, 20:18
Tula does a bullet coated in polymer as opposed to copper? I didn't know that. I've shot like 80 Herter's 7.62 and I didn't have a negative opinion about it or a positive I just figured it was more russian bulk sold under a different name.

But when I saw them market the blue coated pistol training bullets (Herters) I was curious if it was worth using it as cheap training alternative.

Inkslinger
09-07-13, 20:25
I though you were talking about their FMJ. They do make a nylon jacketed as well. I picked those up once by mistake and put them back. I have no interest in shooting nylon projectiles through my pistol. The FMJ's are fine though.

Tula does a bullet coated in polymer as opposed to copper? I didn't know that. I've shot like 80 Herter's 7.62 and I didn't have a negative opinion about it or a positive I just figured it was more russian bulk sold under a different name.

But when I saw them market the blue coated pistol training bullets (Herters) I was curious if it was worth using it as cheap training alternative.

High Tower
09-07-13, 20:29

I shot about half a box through last November through a Gen 4 17. Worked fine, no issues or anything.

Inkslinger
09-07-13, 20:30
I though you were talking about their FMJ. They do make a nylon jacketed as well. I picked those up once by mistake and put them back. I have no interest in shooting nylon projectiles through my pistol. The FMJ's are fine though.

ETA: info I'm finding on the web says the TNJ's are made by CCI.

Mac5.56
09-07-13, 20:45

Just out of curiosity why do you have no interest in it?

Inkslinger
09-07-13, 20:48
Not based on any past experience. Just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Just out of curiosity why do you have no interest in it?

walkin' trails
09-07-13, 21:09
Pretty much all the 115/124 grain ball I've shot has more or less grouped abotbthe same thru my pistols, impacting point of aim.

denn1911
09-07-13, 23:16
American Eagle 124 gr. is my preferred FMJ ammo. S&B is good as well.

theblackknight
09-07-13, 23:29
My fav factory stuff is AEFP9 and Speer Lawman. Speer's casings are top brass for reloading too.

That pun just happened.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

EzGoingKev
02-01-14, 13:26

C4
I just finished off my second case and find this stuff to be good to go. It seems to much cleaner than some other ammo I have shot. Usually I get a few failure to fires (primer dented but no ignition) per case but did not get any in the two cases of Magtech from Grant.

The only issue I have is that it is out of stock!

RWH24
02-01-14, 15:56
Aguila 9mm 124grn FMJ, S&B or RWS,

G19A3
02-04-14, 07:19

This info is VERY interesting.

02-04-14, 07:50
For factory plinking ball whatever is cheapest/best deal. When I wanted accuracy in factory ammo I had good results with Hornady steel match. A Russian steel case loaded with US components including Hornady's crazy accurate HAP bullet.

G19A3
02-04-14, 08:23
Lots of WWB 9mm complaints all over the interwebs. Just sayin.

I try to stay away form aluminum or steel case, just because. Even if I have to pay a little bit more for brass-cased.

My preferred, for now, is American Eagle 115gr. Lowest recoil I've found so far, so excellent if a novice comes along to shoot at the last minute.

I would like to try PMC 115gr and compare if it has even lower recoil than the AE.

EzGoingKev
02-04-14, 08:33
At the beginning of the summer I picked up a case of WWB 115g 9mm aside from maybe 2 or 3 rounds that didn't go boom I had no issues.

It is funny because usually every case I have 2 or 3 rounds fail to fire but with the Magtech stuff I had zero in both cases.

Plumber237
02-04-14, 08:48
I'm pretty much not picky about practice ammo...as long as it is brass cased. My Glocks eat pretty much any weight and runs any cheap ammo (even the extremely weak Remington UMC). I'd say as long as there aren't serious issues you're seeing on targets (tumbling rounds, flyers, etc.) that you can't blame on your fundamentals, and no ammo induced malfunctions, then shoot whatever you can find/afford. I've lately been running mostly Freedom Munitions reloaded 9mm, both 115 & 124 grain, I've had no problems with either and it's regularily the cheapest brass 9mm on gunbot.

mak52580
02-04-14, 14:15
Since my 9mms are Glocks and M&Ps I run everything through them, including steel cased ammo. Never had any issues with anything.

SigFanM4
02-04-14, 15:05
For 9mm, i use 115gr fmj at the range. I've found S&B to be the most consistent and accurate, but really splitting hairs here. You can't expect match results out of bulk ammo, and pretty much all the bulk ammo I've tried (Blazer, wwb, Federal Champion, UMC, Freedom Munitions, PMC, American Eagle, etc) has been good to go for range use. I haven't come across a major brand that has caused me to say "never again".

G19A3
02-04-14, 17:43
At the beginning of the summer I picked up a case of WWB 115g 9mm aside from maybe 2 or 3 rounds that didn't go boom I had no issues.

It is funny because usually every case I have 2 or 3 rounds fail to fire but with the Magtech stuff I had zero in both cases.

That's my point. I get 100% from American Eagle 9mm, so far, case after case.

I might consider WWB (for the purpose of practice/training ONLY) if it was 1/2 or 2/3 the price of AE generic.

hatidua
02-04-14, 18:18
I mostly prefer Blazer Aluminum just because of the cost.

-that.

johnson
02-05-14, 01:27
I've never had any issue with any ammo and I've used Federal Champion, WWB, Speer Lawman, Blazer Aluminum, Blazer Brass, S&B, Aguila 124gr, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. If prices were all the same I'd put Speer Lawman and S&B at the top of the list. I wish 9mm plinking rounds would drop back down to ~$200 a case. Right now they're almost as expensive as .223.

voiceofreason
02-10-14, 20:20
I've learned to inspect each and every round before it goes into a mag or cylinder.

IME, Speer Lawman is the highest and most consistent quality ammo in 9mm over the last few years.

I really like American Eagle as well. No issues with Federal Champion, S&B.

I've found more than a few issues with Remington UMC & Winchester White Box, which I avoid if possible.

Never ever seen an issue with a single hollow point.

JonInWA
02-11-14, 12:28
I've tried most of the commonly available stuff. I'm noticing bullet reset during the feeding/chambering process in .45 ACP WWB and Federal Champion-which causes more feeding/chambering issues with 4.25" 1911s than 5" ones.

In 9mm, I much prefer Federal Champion over WWB-I've found it significantly more accurate. I avoid Tula, due to frequent variations in velocity in a box.

Remington UMC is on the weak side. I've had Blazer Aluminum have brass-to-head issues with Gen4 Glock G19s, Blazer Brass much less so. PMC Bronze tends to be an all-around good performer, as is American Eagle.

A solid .38 Special choice is Remington/UMC's 125 gr .38 Special +P SJHP, sold in 100 round boxes @ Walmart-It's a great analog practice/match load for my carry load of 125gr Remington Golden Saber JHP.

Best, Jon

ptmccain
02-11-14, 12:34
I've never had any problems with Freedom Ammo reloads. In fact, just got notice today they have 9mm back in stock, around 20 cents a round. Good stuff for training, practice, etc.