PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore (M.D.) County PD just adopted FNS-40LS

Miami_JBT
09-04-13, 08:56
Baltimore County PD just adopted 2000 FNS-40 LS with Warren-Sevigny Carry Night Sights. They are the second agency to my knowledge to adopt the FNS series of handguns after Columbia S.C. PD adopted the standard FNS-9 as their service pistol.

I see some agencies are going with the weird and odd. FNs and one adopting the Tavor.

Sensei
09-04-13, 09:11
I can understand their choice of a FNS. It's a reasonably priced and reliable pistol. What I don't understand is why did they go with the 5" long slide version? This makes no sense.

Gary1911A1
09-04-13, 09:15
I have a FNS9 and like it. One thing it has above the Glock and Walther is steel night sights that I can see. Why they went to the Warren-Sevigny is beyond me.:confused:

ericl
09-04-13, 12:11
Good to see a large agency taking a leap outside of Glock and the M&P line. Since the FNS came out, I have been waiting to see how it will do in the long run. Not so much in performance (I assume it will endure), but in the availability of things like magazines. Great pistol or not, I need to be able to get magazines and aftermarket sights (if desired). It doesn't need a complete line of aftermarket parts to customize, but magazines and sights have to be readily available.

williejc
09-04-13, 14:27
Will FN allow cop armorers to repair their pistols? Everybody else has had to return the fnp line to FN or Browning for repair. I hope their mag issues have been corrected.

okie john
09-04-13, 15:33
I hope it means that the 5" versions will be out to the rest of us sooner rather than later.

Also, FN has pretty significant logistical resources in South Carolina, so maybe getting guns fixed won't be that tough.

Okie John

RiflemanBobcat
09-04-13, 16:12
I can understand their choice of a FNS. It's a reasonably priced and reliable pistol. What I don't understand is why did they go with the 5" long slide version? This makes no sense.

My guess, and it's just that, a guess, knowing no more than what I've read in the press release/article, is that someone decided the longer barrel and sight radius would be easier to shoot well.

Lord knows, I saw enough co-workers develop flinches from a 4.5" barreled .40 (though it was the factory-ported Glock 22C barrel) that I'd have been in favor of issuing them a blue-label 35. Falls under the category of "will it make it easier for them to get hits?"

At least, that's my guessing and why I guessed it.

plouffedaddy
09-05-13, 19:48
My FNS 9 HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXm9rZa3XQU)

I really like my FNS9. Outside of a slightly heavy trigger (breaks around 6.5lbs) the ergos are great, accuracy is good, and reliability is 100%.

I'm surprised more agencies haven't opted for them. Maybe FN needs to do some Glock LE pricing :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9498/jmcd.jpg

chadb
09-05-13, 22:56
One of the best things about cops changing service weapons is you can buy old service weapons at a good price if you can find the right stores.

John Hearne
09-06-13, 00:55
What's really amazing about this story is how long that department was a hard core Sig Sauer agency. I believe they've run Sig for multiple decades.....

Redbeardsong
09-06-13, 06:30
That is amazing, given how low Sig has been bidding contracts to get their guns into agencies.

jnc36rcpd
09-07-13, 23:45
John is correct that BCoPD was a long-term SigSauer agency, having carried SIG's since their transition from revolvers. As I recall, they originally carried 9mm 226's and then transitioned to the SigPro in .40 although I did hear from one of their troops that 226's and 229's were in inventory. Their SWAT team had significant problems with their 226 Elite pistols. I understand that SWAT and canine are now packing Glocks since those units need the most reliable pistol available (not saying Glock is, just what I was told).

Interesting move to an FN pistol. We're currently evaluating if the 226 and 239 .40 DA/SA pistols are still the best choice for our department. I understand we are due to get some FN pistols to T&E.

jpmuscle
09-08-13, 02:08
I understand that SWAT and canine are now packing Glocks since those units need the most reliable pistol available (not saying Glock is, just what I was told).

That is something that I always chuckle hard at. Not necessarily the need for a separate set of operational requirements for the more high speed guys but the notion that the latter needs to have of firearm that is more reliable than what the regular road guys have. I mean really?? :eek:

I mean if one has to hold court in the street ones equipment really needs to function right then lol

theblackknight
09-08-13, 03:04
I have a FNS9 and like it. One thing it has above the Glock and Walther is steel night sights that I can see. Why they went to the Warren-Sevigny is beyond me.:confused:

Ever used the Sevigny's ? They are the reason the stock FNS has the rear notch that it does.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

DanjojoUSMC
09-08-13, 08:32
That is something that I always chuckle hard at. Not necessarily the need for a separate set of operational requirements for the more high speed guys but the notion that the latter needs to have of firearm that is more reliable than what the regular road guys have. I mean really?? :eek:

I mean if one has to hold court in the street ones equipment really needs to function right then lol

You could use his quote for MARSOC as well...it's never the people who really know what's what that get to make decisions. "I would rather get issued a Glock because Glocks don't jam" is said in all the wrong places.

Gary1911A1
09-08-13, 10:00
Ever used the Sevigny's ? They are the reason the stock FNS has the rear notch that it does.

Yes I have them on a pistol. The factory stock FN Sight seems as good to me.

Armati
09-08-13, 10:30

I know a guy who works for that agency. Among his other talents is he was a SFAUC instructor. In the gunfighting community there is a body of thought that believes all fighting handguns should have 5" bbls - especially if this is your primary weapon. This is an old tradition as borne out by the 1911 and M9 pistols. Many agencies have adopted the Glock 34/35 for the same reason.

Without a doubt these FNs will be vastly better than the Sig Pro they are replacing.

theblackknight
09-08-13, 13:52
Yes I have them on a pistol. The factory stock FN Sight seems as good to me.

Sure but if the client can get the sights they want already on the gun, seems like a good deal to me. I do like the stock ones too.

jpmuscle
09-08-13, 13:56
This thread I'm thinking is further validation that I need some FN goodness in my life.

Gary1911A1
09-09-13, 08:48
Mine is an early one with the same trigger problem plouffedaddy identified in his video review. I need to call FN and see if they will fix it.

ericl
09-10-13, 01:04
Has FNH or anyone else come out with an extended safety for the FNS? I love the Sevigney sights, have run them on many Glocks. The FNS I saw also had great sights from the factory. Personal preference but the FNS with 3 mags and good sights out of the box is a great deal!

Apricotshot
09-10-13, 07:34
I have had the FNS-9 for about 3 weeks now with about 100 rounds through. Put another 50 rounds through it last night.

Accuracy: very good. Doing my part I can make quarter sized groups at 15 yards. Haven't gone to 25 yet.
ergos: Flexible you can have the "hump" Back strap or the straight 1911-esk one.
Sights: U shaped notch in the rear like the Trijicon HDs that I like so much. Its euorpean style POA/POI so you must cover the front sight on your target.
Trigger: One of its two negatives as it is a little too heavy for my tastes.
Safety: The other negative is the manual ambi, tiny safety similar in setup to a 1911 (Up safe, down fire.). I would rather there be no manual safety at all like the Glock, XD, M&P family of pistols.
Grip: Great texture for sweaty, bloody conditions. Has the grip length of a Glock 17 and the slide length of a Glock 19.
Accesory Rail: Fits my Surefire X300s fine.

TurretGunner
09-11-13, 14:22
This is what happens when you are given free guns and procurement is done by non weapons folk.

Anyone want to take the over/under that these are replaced in 5 years with Glocks?

Alaskapopo
09-11-13, 15:06

Actually It make a lot of sense. In a patrol duty pistol it does not really matter if its 4 inches or 5 inches you are not concealing it. The longer barrel makes shooting easier. Just as its easier to shoot a Glock 34 vs a 17.
Pat

High Tower
09-11-13, 17:13
[QUOTE=plouffedaddy;1739745I'm surprised more agencies haven't opted for them. Maybe FN needs to do some Glock LE pricing :D

[/QUOTE]

They do have an LE program. The trick is finding an authorized dealer. The pricing is (or was last year anyway) very similar and perhaps a little better than Glock.

I'm also surprised more agencies have not gone with them.

Mate
09-11-13, 17:32
Holy crap, does anyone here have any extensive time behind one of these? I'm seeing a lot of negativity about a gun that a lot of people havent even handled. I'm normally an M&P guy. I own a Glock and grew up shooting them. I like a lot of the features on the FNS. I like the ambi controls. I like the steel sights. I like that mags are prolific and available. I can order 1500 of them through my sources. I like the backstraps and the forward cocking serrations. Reliability has been great so far (2,000 rounds). Granted, that's a small number, but how many Glocks have been having issues lately? I like the fact that it fits in my M&P holsters, even the kydex ones. I like the fact that it comes with three mags, instead of one or two. MIL/LE pricing is great and it even comes with night sights and no safety.

This place is starting to bug me.

Edit, before anyone thinks I'm mad because someone told me my baby is ugly. I own and have owned various guns. I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. If the gun sucks and you have multiple cases stating the same, well then I want to hear it. But I have first hand info against speculation. I already sold the gun to a friend because I needed the cash. I'm not emotionally attached to the thing.

TurretGunner
09-11-13, 21:34
It Brings nothing to the table that a glock does not already.
Glock also has decades of proof that it is the most reliable pistol, so there is no reason to use something else.
M&P's have too many issues and are still coming from the factory defective, so I put them in the crap pile as well.

There is no reason for a dept not to use glocks. It is what most officers are trained on, it is what most use as a sidearm, They can be abused and not maintained and still shoot. Parts are everywhere. What happens when a part breaks in your FN? Wait a week for a new one to come in, when I can go to most decent gun stores and buy glock parts.

Most agencies are so poorly trained by our standards, brining a new weapon into the mix just complicates it. Stick with a known standard and let them shoot.

Another consideration is off-duty/practice guns. What if the cop already has a compact version or the same as his duty (or a couple)... Now he has to go out and replace all that shit so his manual of arms is the same.

Holy crap, does anyone here have any extensive time behind one of these? I'm seeing a lot of negativity about a gun that a lot of people havent even handled. I'm normally an M&P guy. I own a Glock and grew up shooting them. I like a lot of the features on the FNS. I like the ambi controls. I like the steel sights. I like that mags are prolific and available. I can order 1500 of them through my sources. I like the backstraps and the forward cocking serrations. Reliability has been great so far (2,000 rounds). Granted, that's a small number, but how many Glocks have been having issues lately? I like the fact that it fits in my M&P holsters, even the kydex ones. I like the fact that it comes with three mags, instead of one or two. MIL/LE pricing is great and it even comes with night sights and no safety.

This place is starting to bug me.

Edit, before anyone thinks I'm mad because someone told me my baby is ugly. I own and have owned various guns. I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. If the gun sucks and you have multiple cases stating the same, well then I want to hear it. But I have first hand info against speculation. I already sold the gun to a friend because I needed the cash. I'm not emotionally attached to the thing.

High Tower
09-11-13, 21:47
Glock also has decades of proof that it is the most reliable pistol, so there is no reason to use something else.
M&P's have too many issues and are still coming from the factory defective, so I put them in the crap pile as well.

There is no reason for a dept not to use glocks. It is what most officers are trained on, it is what most use as a sidearm, They can be abused and not maintained and still shoot. Parts are everywhere. What happens when a part breaks in your FN? Wait a week for a new one to come in, when I can go to most decent gun stores and buy glock parts.

It does bring something to the table. Glocks are fine for people with small to medium size hands. The FNS does not draw blood for people with large hands. This is a huge issue to me since if a LEO has to use his sidearm, he will most likely have to go hands on with the recipient. I would not want to be unnecesarily bleeding and having to handle someone else who is bleeding.

Glock has had its fair share of issues recently. Pretty much every company has - not just FN or S&W.

Most departments do not keep spare parts on hand for any model so that is a non-issue.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not saying Glocks suck balls. They work quite well for a large majority of people and that's awesome. But they are not a one stop shop for every human being past, present, and future.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-12-13, 02:04

Most agencies are so poorly trained by our standards, brining a new weapon into the mix just complicates it. Stick with a known standard and let them shoot.

Another consideration is off-duty/practice guns. What if the cop already has a compact version or the same as his duty (or a couple)... Now he has to go out and replace all that shit so his manual of arms is the same.

It does bring something to the table that Glocks don't have, and in fact, it's something they haven't had since 2010: out of the box reliability.

It also comes with vastly superior sights out of the box, a manual safety, and ambidextrous controls, all for the same or cheaper price than a Glock. It brings a lot to the table that a Glock can't, in fact. No need to get all huffy about it.

TurretGunner
09-12-13, 07:01
It does bring something to the table that Glocks don't have, and in fact, it's something they haven't had since 2010: out of the box reliability.

It also comes with vastly superior sights out of the box, a manual safety, and ambidextrous controls, all for the same or cheaper price than a Glock. It brings a lot to the table that a Glock can't, in fact. No need to get all huffy about it.

Amazingly all my glocks don't have this problem...
Most people own pre-gen3 dual recoil spring glocks.
The main problem with them in not malfunctions, its the way they spit the brass out.

Sights are getting replaced with night sights anyway, so its a moot point.

Manual safteys have no place on pistols used in LEO work or Carry. One more step to miss when your life is on the line. Takes a stupid ammount of training to develop the MM to be effective with it, and even then its slower than normal draw with a glock or other pistol with no manual saftey.

There is a reason competent, turned on agencies use good gear.
Then there are reasons that shitty depts (Like Bmore County) end up shooting something like this.

rauchman
09-12-13, 09:33
The main problem with them in not malfunctions, its the way they spit the brass out.

Manual safteys have no place on pistols used in LEO work or Carry. One more step to miss when your life is on the line. Takes a stupid ammount of training to develop the MM to be effective with it, and even then its slower than normal draw with a glock or other pistol with no manual saftey.

Then there are reasons that shitty depts (Like Bmore County) end up shooting something like this.

Aside from the mini Glocks, I don't know of any dual recoil spring pre Gen3 Glocks. Mine are all single spring setups.

I would venture to guess that any PD looking to get new Glocks would not be getting old or used Gen2 or older Gen3 models. They would be getting current manufacture Gen3 or Gen4 models. Although I haven't experienced any issues on my recent purchase Glocks, there are plenty of folks on this site and others who have. I would also venture to guess that a savvy PD purchaser would be aware of these issues and would be on the lookout for other options.

I don't disagree that Glocks are a great pistol. However, they are not the only option.

KalashniKEV
09-12-13, 10:54
I love my FNS-9 and am also really surprised they haven't been adopted by more agencies.

I do agree that Glock is still king, but M&P has been working their way into more and more duty belts by coupling the pistol with deals on patrol carbines plus support packages.

It seems like FN could do the same and easily scoop S&W if they spent a little time crafting the right package and marketing it to the right folks... with a better pistol and a better rifle to boot.

jpmuscle
09-12-13, 11:02
Times change and tools evolve. I see no problem with embracing new providing the appropriate due diligence is done beforehand to ensure an informed decision is rendered and the appropriate level of sustainment effort is put forth to keep things ticking along.

Glock may be king but other quality options is never a bad thing.

Mate
09-12-13, 11:11
TurretGunner, it seems to me that you are replying based on emotions instead of facts. Please refrain from commenting further as it adds nothing constructive to the conversation at hand.

Thanks,
Mate

Andrewsky
09-12-13, 11:16

Glocks aren't that great.

When I hold a Glock with sweaty hands I feel like I am holding a wet bar of soap.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-12-13, 11:37

C'mon. Stop being such a petulant, emotional troll and start talking facts. That's what this forum is about. You've got no evidence for all of your claims, and get a lot wrong (dual-recoil spring Gen-3s? what?).

Why are FNSs bad pistols? Why is the BCPD a shitty department? Why is there no need for a manual safety as a cop? Why does that matter when the FNS, unlike Glocks, can be equipped with or without a safety, allowing departments to choose what they find most helpful? Why are you in such a tiff over a quality pistol getting chosen by a police department that has nothing to do with you? What evidence do you have for ANY of this?

Fact is, the FNS offers a lot over the Glock: better sights (and they can come with night sights from the factory), ambidextrous controls, manual safeties (if desired), less problems out of the box, same-or-lesser price. This is the general consensus on both this board and on most others (not that it's better than a Glock, but that at the very least, it offers more options and is a quality gun). You're going to have to provide us with a lot more than your stubborn temper tantrums to overturn common wisdom.

Doubt you can, though. Looks like you're just weirdly, obsessively upset about your favorite pistol not getting chosen by some police department.

TurretGunner
09-12-13, 12:55
TurretGunner, it seems to me that you are replying based on emotions instead of facts. Please refrain from commenting further as it adds nothing constructive to the conversation at hand.

Thanks,
Mate

What are you even talking about? I just laid out the facts and potenial reasons why depts would be better of sticking with a known platform, that their officers are already trained on, has proven reliable over decades and gives up nothing to the other modern service pistols.

It seems to me, your post is nothing more than inflamatory and you have added nothing to the technical discussion. Stick to the topic at hand and leave your baseless assertations for PM's, Twitter or facebook.

TurretGunner
09-12-13, 13:04
Glocks aren't that great.

When I hold a Glock with sweaty hands I feel like I am holding a wet bar of soap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718382/decal-grip-tape-glock-29-30-36-short-frame-sand-black

There you go. Every glock I own, wears them and they kick ass. For $10 you cannot beat it.

Most handguns have slippery grips when wet/sweaty. Thats what gloves and griptape are for.

TurretGunner
09-12-13, 13:22
C'mon. Stop being such a petulant, emotional troll and start talking facts. That's what this forum is about. You've got no evidence for all of your claims, and get a lot wrong (dual-recoil spring Gen-3s? what?).

Why are FNSs bad pistols? Why is the BCPD a shitty department? Why is there no need for a manual safety as a cop? Why does that matter when the FNS, unlike Glocks, can be equipped with or without a safety, allowing departments to choose what they find most helpful? Why are you in such a tiff over a quality pistol getting chosen by a police department that has nothing to do with you? What evidence do you have for ANY of this?

Fact is, the FNS offers a lot over the Glock: better sights (and they can come with night sights from the factory), ambidextrous controls, manual safeties (if desired), less problems out of the box, same-or-lesser price. This is the general consensus on both this board and on most others (not that it's better than a Glock, but that at the very least, it offers more options and is a quality gun). You're going to have to provide us with a lot more than your stubborn temper tantrums to overturn common wisdom.

Doubt you can, though. Looks like you're just weirdly, obsessively upset about your favorite pistol not getting chosen by some police department.

Who is trolling? You don't like facts? The Gen 4's use dual recoil springs (and the compact guns like my 26). The 3rd gen issues are mostly from adding cheap MIM parts, poor QC and some changing in the manufacturing process that resulted in defective shit leaving the factory. It has since been fixed.

I have a good ammount of time on just about every major pistol platform, with a TON of time on glocks, sigs, Berretas and Smiths.

The FNS is a striker fired FNX/FNP. They shoot ok, but like I said before, bring nothing to the table that warrants a switch from a proven platform.

I grew up in Baltimore City. I spent all of my time in the area and lived in the county as well for a while. Most of my family and friends still live there. Many friends and family are cops in the area for various agencies. One of my best friends is City Police. My Uncle in AA County. My cousin is Bcounty. The Police in that area are nothing like the rest of the country. Maryland sets a low when it comes to corruption and abuse (BCity,PG,ect) and on the other end of total JBT's (Any MD state agency along with counties/cities like Moco, Howard, Annpolis). They choose firearms like they chose personal........And that is pathetically. If you saw the kind of trash that goes into the Baltimore City/County Cadet schools, you would think they get out of Jessup or Cumberland Corrections on friday and start as Police on Monday.

-Sights are replaced with night sights.
-Police issued guns comes with night sights installed Already
-Price is irrelevent as most PD's get discount or trade ins.
-I would Bet my left nut that they got these guns bassicaly free so FN could tout the "XXX uses out guns" like most of the smaller companies do.
-FN build these guns origionaly to compete for the Military trials for the next gen service pistol. Like most of the shit they make, it never gets any serious gov contracts (outside of machine gun and Scar contracts that the gov already subsidized). They are recouping their cost and trying to break even. Commercial always comes last in priorities for FN. If anything they want to help leverage that into a future military or govy sale somewhere else.
-Police are already trained on glocks
-Police already have manual of arms for glocks down
-Police alreay have accsessories and off-duty guns compatable with glocks
-Police can find glock parts ANYWHERE
-Glocks have proven reliable over 30 years, besides the small recent issues that have since been fixed.

I could personaly care less what the police carry. If it was up to me, they would be carrying water pistols and single shot muskets.

The best choice for them, and what they choose however, are rarley one in the same. Money, politics, ignorance, power.........take your pick.

John Hearne
09-12-13, 16:46
There is no reason for a dept not to use glocks.

Glocks are a good solid pistol but they are not perfect - especially as a standardized agency issue weapon. Realistically both the FN and M&P are good efforts to look at the shortcomings of the Glock and fix them for agencies.

First issue - hand size. Even with its swappable backstraps, the Glock is a big pistol for someone with small hands to shoot well. The M&P family will fit a larger range of hand sizes.

Second issue - releasing the striker to strip. A great number of the law enforcement ND's we see are associated with the requirement to pull the trigger the strip the gun. Yes, this is a training/competency issue but most departments are unwilling to train their people to a reasonable level of competence and/or recruit/hire suitable people.

Third issue - ambidextrous. Sorry but the M&P totally smokes the Glock in this department. The M&P is far more lefty friendly than the Glock ever will be.

Fourth issue - manual safety. The option to have an ERGONOMIC manual safety is a potential selling point to some folks. My personal druthers for a uniform duty pistol would include an ERGONOMIC safety as added insurance against gun takeaways.

Sensei
09-12-13, 17:04
Actually It make a lot of sense. In a patrol duty pistol it does not really matter if its 4 inches or 5 inches you are not concealing it. The longer barrel makes shooting easier. Just as its easier to shoot a Glock 34 vs a 17.
Pat

Actually, most officers in my jurisdiction do carry their issue (M&P40 for CMPD and M&P357 for NCHP) concealed when off-duty. Carrying a 5" IWB can be a pain in the ass depending on one's frame.

TurretGunner
09-12-13, 17:04
Glocks are a good solid pistol but they are not perfect - especially as a standardized agency issue weapon. Realistically both the FN and M&P are good efforts to look at the shortcomings of the Glock and fix them for agencies.

First issue - hand size. Even with its swappable backstraps, the Glock is a big pistol for someone with small hands to shoot well. The M&P family will fit a larger range of hand sizes.

Second issue - releasing the striker to strip. A great number of the law enforcement ND's we see are associated with the requirement to pull the trigger the strip the gun. Yes, this is a training/competency issue but most departments are unwilling to train their people to a reasonable level of competence and/or recruit/hire suitable people.

Third issue - ambidextrous. Sorry but the M&P totally smokes the Glock in this department. The M&P is far more lefty friendly than the Glock ever will be.

Fourth issue - manual safety. The option to have an ERGONOMIC manual safety is a potential selling point to some folks. My personal druthers for a uniform duty pistol would include an ERGONOMIC safety as added insurance against gun takeaways.

Bottom line is glocks go bang everytime. I have yet to meet someone who cannot shoot one. If the 17's and 22's are too big, thats what the 19 and 23 are for. If someone cannot shoot any of those 4 weapons, then they have no business being a police officer in the first place. Alot of agencies now even require weapon and slide manipulation as a part of pre-hiring testing. If you cannot rack a slide with 1 hand, you have no business being a Police.

I teach little 5'1' girls who weight 90 pounds soaking wet how to shoot and none of them have problems running my 19's or 26's. The grip size is a bullshit excuse.

Plenty of leftys shoot fine. My cousin (hes a member here) is a southpaw and shoots glocks better than I do. If the person is defective from the factory (lefty) then they need to train to make up for it.

Police do not get enough training to instil the muscle memory nor the stress to run it effectivley durring a bad situation.

Someone pulls weapon or is shooting at a Cop and they go to pull their weapon, present and fire and nothing happens. They MIGHT realize its the saftey engaged , or the might freeze up.

Manual safetys are idiotic on a combat handgun.

So what you saying is, cops don't get enough training or time on their weapons as is........But switching to a different platform when they are already familiar with the glock, that is more complicated, not the same manual of arms, not proven as reliable and under stress may not fire (saftey) due to lack of said training............

Just want to make sure I'm following you here.

Mate
09-12-13, 17:39
You are seriously damaging my calm.

Dude,

-There's not a lot of difference between the Glock trigger and the FNS trigger. If you can shoot a Glock well, the FNS will follow.
-What needs to be retrained? If anything, the FNS will be easier to use since it's ambi. The Glock, being for rightys only, will be harder to train and use effectively because of this.
-I work at a shooting range. I've seen thousands of guns come and go. I see WITH MY OWN EYES that newer Glocks are fraught with problems.
-Hand size - Who the hell are you to judge someone based on handsize. "If they cant handle a Glock then they shouldnt be a cop". ARE YOU SERIOUS? I cant even think of a rational response to this. Beat your face.

Way to take a discussion and turn it into something else. Nice dude. You get a gold star.

Alaskapopo
09-12-13, 17:48
Actually, most officers in my jurisdiction do carry their issue (M&P40 for CMPD and M&P357 for NCHP) concealed when off-duty. Carrying a 5" IWB can be a pain in the ass depending on one's frame.

That is fine for them. Personally I would much rather have a larger gun that holds more bullets and is slightly easier to shoot and has more velocity on duty and carry a smaller gun off duty or when concealment is needed. I did carry a full size 1911 for the majority of my time in the drug unit in a inside the wasteband rig so its not that hard with a good holster. No reason to sacrafice performance on duty for convenience off duty. Get the right tool for the job.
Pat

Alaskapopo
09-12-13, 17:51
You are seriously damaging my calm.

Dude,

-There's not a lot of difference between the Glock trigger and the FNS trigger. If you can shoot a Glock well, the FNS will follow.
-What needs to be retrained? If anything, the FNS will be easier to use since it's ambi. The Glock, being for rightys only, will be harder to train and use effectively because of this.
-I work at a shooting range. I've seen thousands of guns come and go. I see WITH MY OWN EYES that newer Glocks are fraught with problems.
-Hand size - Who the hell are you to judge someone based on handsize. "If they cant handle a Glock then they shouldnt be a cop". ARE YOU SERIOUS? I cant even think of a rational response to this. Beat your face.

Way to take a discussion and turn it into something else. Nice dude. You get a gold star.

I have had some small officers handle a Glock 17 just fine. Seriously if there hands are so small they can't wrap them around a gen 4 Glock 19 or 17 then how are they going to grab onto a felons arms and take them down.
Pat

Gutshot John
09-12-13, 17:53
I have yet to meet someone who cannot shoot one.

Sorry that's abject and demonstrable nonsense.

I like Glocks, and I carry Glocks (though I prefer the M&P), but I know TONS of people who can't shoot them.

My wife among others don't have hands big enough for them. She picks up a single stack 9mm and she can shoot just fine.

And no the grip size is not a bullshit excuse, whoever told you that is crap ton full of it. If the tip of your finger can barely reach the corner of the trigger...it's too big, if you have to overgrip (rotate the muzzle of the gun towards the back of your hand) in order to get a good purchase on the trigger...it's too big.

Some tiny girls have big hands, and some big huge men, have tiny hands. It's not the size of the shooter, it's the size of the hand.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-12-13, 20:35
Who is trolling? You don't like facts? The Gen 4's use dual recoil springs (and the compact guns like my 26). The 3rd gen issues are mostly from adding cheap MIM parts, poor QC and some changing in the manufacturing process that resulted in defective shit leaving the factory. It has since been fixed.

1. You said Gen 3 with regards to dual recoil springs, not 4. Check the quote.

2. You're talking out of your ass and have absolutely no evidence to back up your claim. Go ahead, provide a link or admission from Glock. I'll wait. On the other hand, I just bought a G17 2 months ago (production date of June) that still suffered from the crappy ejection and stovepipes common in post-2010 Glocks of both generations. The problems were so bad that the only solution was Randy Lee at Apex Tactical lowering the ejection port and hand-fitting an Apex GFRE to the gun, all because Glock couldn't fix the problem and wouldn't admit it even existed after 3 trips back to the factory. Glock most definitely has not fixed the issue, and you'd still see it popping up on a ton of guns if your head weren't so abjectly buried in the sand.

And you have yet to provide any evidence of claims against the FNS or really any of the questions asked of you in my original post, just a bunch of hot air on personal opinions. BCPD bought a quality pistol. It wasn't your favorite pistol. Get over it.

Sensei
09-12-13, 21:54
That is fine for them. Personally I would much rather have a larger gun that holds more bullets and is slightly easier to shoot and has more velocity on duty and carry a smaller gun off duty or when concealment is needed. I did carry a full size 1911 for the majority of my time in the drug unit in a inside the wasteband rig so its not that hard with a good holster. No reason to sacrafice performance on duty for convenience off duty. Get the right tool for the job.
Pat

I'm not familiar with the FNS-40 series, but I do not believe that the LS gives the shooter any extra capacity. As for added terminal performance, you will be getting about 25-50 FPS in added velocity with the 5" barrel in 40SW. As for it being any easier to shoot, that remains to be seen but seems a logical assumption based on similar 5" handguns.

From what I can tell, the FNS-40 LS is a competition model that has not even hit the market or been produced. Does anybody on this forum have experience with this version of the FNS-40? Thus, Baltimore County PD is taking a big leap of faith using a pistol from an up-and-coming manufacturer of polymer handguns, and using a model that has yet to be in widespread use (or even production?).

BoringGuy45
09-12-13, 23:12
The fact that a large agency that was dedicated to Sig for so many years is going to FN rather than Glock I don't think is an indictment of Glock being of lesser quality as much as it speaks volumes as to the quality of FN's FNS line.

The fact of the matter is that the striker fired pistol is a great idea that caught on for very good reason. The thing is, a lot of people were saying, "I love Glocks, but I just wish that they would..." A, B, and C. So, S&W, Springfield (well, HS Produkt), Walther, FN, and others came up with striker fired pistols that included improvements in all the areas that people didn't like about Glocks. I know the Glockaphiles* still have the mindset that Gaston knows better than you, or anyone else for that matter, and if you don't like his gun, perhaps you don't have brains enough to be trusted with a gun and need to go back to Call of Duty and leave shooting to the professionals. But the truth is that there's a lot of good choices out there. This can only be good for the handgun market IMO. Companies are going to have to figure out how to balance innovation, quality, and cost if they want to get contracts. Lot's of low cost, high quality choices on the market for LE/military and civilian users. I think the days of Glock getting contracts left and right simply by undercutting the competition are gone. Capitalism at it's finest.

(*I say "Glockaphile" meaning guys who think the two types of handguns available are Glocks and pieces of shit, not the majority of people who choose Glock simply because they like them and Glocks work for them).

Alaskapopo
09-13-13, 00:25
I'm not familiar with the FNS-40 series, but I do not believe that the LS gives the shooter any extra capacity. As for added terminal performance, you will be getting about 25-50 FPS in added velocity with the 5" barrel in 40SW. As for it being any easier to shoot, that remains to be seen but seems a logical assumption based on similar 5" handguns.

From what I can tell, the FNS-40 LS is a competition model that has not even hit the market or been produced. Does anybody on this forum have experience with this version of the FNS-40? Thus, Baltimore County PD is taking a big leap of faith using a pistol from an up-and-coming manufacturer of polymer handguns, and using a model that has yet to be in widespread use (or even production?).
I like every edge I can get and if concealment is not a requirement I don't mind a larger gun. Not knocking your choice. There is advantages to using a smaller Glock 19 sized gun for everything its cheaper and its the exact same gun. But personally and for my department I will pick to have the best sidearm for the job and not compromise on size.
Pat

Sensei
09-13-13, 00:59
I like every edge I can get and if concealment is not a requirement I don't mind a larger gun. Not knocking your choice. There is advantages to using a smaller Glock 19 sized gun for everything its cheaper and its the exact same gun. But personally and for my department I will pick to have the best sidearm for the job and not compromise on size.
Pat

I have no particular choice since standard size offerings from SW, Glock, Sig, HK, FN, and even Beretta would have been reasonable. I'm just a little perplexed as to why they chose an long-slide version of a pistol that has not been released or even produced in any significant quantity. After all, the FNS-9 LS is marketed as a competition pistol.:confused:

Alaskapopo
09-13-13, 01:17
I have no particular choice since standard size offerings from SW, Glock, Sig, HK, FN, and even Beretta would have been reasonable. I'm just a little perplexed as to why they chose an long-slide version of a pistol that has not been released or even produced in any significant quantity. After all, the FNS-9 LS is marketed as a competition pistol.:confused:

I understand the testing thing. But I am not against using a long slide competition pistol for a duty weapon so long as its reliable and accurate. I know plenty of cops who carry Glock 34's and 35's.
Pat

thopkins22
09-13-13, 01:28
As someone who feels firmly entrenched with Glock(holsters, training, competition, magazines, spare guns...)I'm actually quite content with other companies getting these big contracts right now.

A few things like this may be what's needed to get them to fire the gentleman who took over QC coincidentally around the time that the world went to hell.

TurretGunner
09-14-13, 10:43
Someone named nitroflopper , who just joined this month, has no posts, and when I click on their name, says I dont have accses (HRM thats not weird at all) sent me this in a pm:

"The guns were not free, they paid full LE price for them, distributed by AmChar Wholesale. The Sig 2340's that they have now were free from Sig 13 years ago. The FNs (both standard and LS) have been very reliable in testing with no weapons related malfunctions. Some weapons are over 16,000 rounds in testing with no problems. No GLOCKS in the forecast for them. By the way, BCoPD is one of the nations premier LE agencies. You should do more homework before you post."

I just find it ironic that someone created an account and now that account either does not exist or some asmin is blocking accses. Its also funny considering I know people who work in the very deptartment, who disagree with everything this clown said.

And the real gem.. BCoPD is one of the nations premier LE agencies? HAHAHA, that made my day.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2011/02/baltimore_officers_arrested_in.html
http://www.baltimorenewsjournal.com/2013/05/31/baltimore-police-officer-faces-corruption-charges-for-protecting-drug-dealers/

Both recent. Not as Bad as city police, but you get the picture.

Back to the thread: Everything I said still stands. Its a waste of resources

graffex
09-14-13, 11:35
BCoPD being one of the premier agencys is definitely hilarious...

John Hearne
09-14-13, 12:54
Bottom line is glocks go bang everytime. I have yet to meet someone who cannot shoot one. If the 17's and 22's are too big, thats what the 19 and 23 are for. If someone cannot shoot any of those 4 weapons, then they have no business being a police officer in the first place.

I'm not sure soundly argued logical arguments are going to sway you but I'll take a last shot.

First, the hand size issue with Glocks has nothing to do with the length of the grip. The issue with size that is relevant is the circumference of the grip and the very square butt profile. Because Glock decided to use plastic body magazines, the grip on a Glock will always have to be larger than a competitor that uses a metal body magazine.

People with smaller hands tend to have shorter fingers. If the trigger finger drags on the frame while manipulating the trigger, a shooter will struggle to shoot that pistol well. As far as hand size and Glocks go, allowing a grip reduction from a quality gunsmith makes a lot of sense.

Your statement about having not business being a police officer flies in the face of every court decision and employment law that is out there. If an agency mandates a gun that a shooter cannot shoot well but can qualify with another gun, and the shooter sues, the agency will lose. This is established case law going back to the revolver days.

I teach little 5'1' girls who weight 90 pounds soaking wet how to shoot and none of them have problems running my 19's or 26's. The grip size is a bullshit excuse.

Teach them to what standard. I know of no LE qualification course that test the officer to a level of skill sufficient to reliably test for enough skill to be safe on the street. I really don't care whether someone can pass a qualification, I care about whether their gear limits them from shooting to their best. Finally, a pistol with a larger grip will be more difficult to retain in a struggle.

Plenty of leftys shoot fine. My cousin (hes a member here) is a southpaw and shoots glocks better than I do. If the person is defective from the factory (lefty) then they need to train to make up for it.

Doesn't really matter, see the comments above about current employment law and the need to accommodate employees.

Manual safetys are idiotic on a combat handgun.

Lots of fairly competent people disagree with you. I think that a manual safety is a great idea if it is ergonomic. If you're shooting a well-designed safety, it's removal is automatic with the draw stroke. It isn't hard to deactivate but can really save you ass in the case of a gun takeaway.

not proven as reliable
While Glocks are a good pistol and I would carry one if given the option, they are not perfect. Want to shoot a 3rd Gen Glock 22 (40 S&W) with a weapon mounted light? How about the problems NYPD had with their Glock 19's. Given enough rounds, all guns break, it's just a matter of how reliable they are and how durable they are.

jnc36rcpd
09-14-13, 17:42
I'm not sure why articles on the Baltimore City Police are relevant to an opinion on the Baltimore County Police Department.

ggammell
09-14-13, 18:28
First, the hand size issue with Glocks has nothing to do with the length of the grip. The issue with size that is relevant is the circumference of the grip and the very square butt profile. Because Glock decided to use plastic body magazines, the grip on a Glock will always have to be larger than a competitor that uses a metal body magazine.

People with smaller hands tend to have shorter fingers. If the trigger finger drags on the frame while manipulating the trigger, a shooter will struggle to shoot that pistol well. As far as hand size and Glocks go, allowing a grip reduction from a quality gunsmith makes a lot of sense.

It seems to me, and I haven't measured, but I feel that the finger grooves in the full size models are bigger between groves than the groves on the compact series. I am issued a 23 and can't stand the groves. I shot a 22 for the first time the other day and didn't even notice them. That is a significant comfort issue.

rlb0311
09-21-13, 21:28
TurretGunner,
1st I'd like to thank you for your comment about how shitty Baltimore county is. I'm sure being a former resident of the city and having family on the job gives you a lot of input into the quality of the men and women that make up the agency I work for. I guess my prior service as a Marine with combat deployments as an 0311 help me fit into the droves of corrupt jack booted thugs you see roving the streets of Baltimore county. Always good to be stereotyped!

I understand your love for glocks and the Cool aid they have injected into you. That doesn't mean other gun manufacturers are useless paperweights.

I think glock makes a great combat pistol and would be more then happy to carry one at work. That doesn't mean FN makes a crap gun.
I don't know what they paid for them, nor do I care. I know a 3 month testing process was carried out with glock, smith & weason, Springfield armory, another sig, and the fn's. The testing was done by our range cadre and officers were invited to come up from all the precincts to evaluate them before we decided to go with the fn.

As far as your hatred for Baltimore county police, or md law enforcement in general, your certainly entitled to your opinions, But giving links to news articles of another agency doesn't really help me understand why you hate the county so much.

ggammell
09-21-13, 21:33
Game. set. Match.

RiflemanBobcat
09-21-13, 21:46
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Forum%20images/citizenkane_clapping.gif

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 23:07
TurretGunner,
1st I'd like to thank you for your comment about how shitty Baltimore county is. I'm sure being a former resident of the city and having family on the job gives you a lot of input into the quality of the men and women that make up the agency I work for. I guess my prior service as a Marine with combat deployments as an 0311 help me fit into the droves of corrupt jack booted thugs you see roving the streets of Baltimore county. Always good to be stereotyped!

I understand your love for glocks and the Cool aid they have injected into you. That doesn't mean other gun manufacturers are useless paperweights.

I think glock makes a great combat pistol and would be more then happy to carry one at work. That doesn't mean FN makes a crap gun.
I don't know what they paid for them, nor do I care. I know a 3 month testing process was carried out with glock, smith & weason, Springfield armory, another sig, and the fn's. The testing was done by our range cadre and officers were invited to come up from all the precincts to evaluate them before we decided to go with the fn.

As far as your hatred for Baltimore county police, or md law enforcement in general, your certainly entitled to your opinions, But giving links to news articles of another agency doesn't really help me understand why you hate the county so much.

Nice troll account. You only been here 2.5 years and this is your first post?

Ive owned a bunch of FN products over the years, In fact I bought a 17s yesterday. They are a fine outfit, but most of their products are tailored or designed for government sales. If a product doesn't work out or get contracts, then they pawn it off on the commercial market to recoup their costs. Their pistols leave something to be desired.

The glock is still a better weapon for police work. It's a better weapon for just about everything in fact.

I would love to see the test parameters and data from said "testing process". What type of endurance testing, round counts, sample size, shooting after being submerged and corrosion resistance.

You can take a look around the country and see what some ageny's and deptartments select for their service pistols. Many of them end up shitcanning them after they realize it was a poor choice. Has happened a few times in MD recently in fact. Remember how wonderfull the PX4 was for the MSP.

BCoPD is different beacuse?
Oh yea I forgot, " BCoPD is one of the nations premier LE agencies in the country".

I still cannot stop laughing from that one! LOL

rlb0311
09-21-13, 23:20
Troll account... Right I made this 2.5 years ago just in case I had to troll in 2013... This certainly wasn't meant as a troll post and I will gladly identify myself. I'm not involved in any decisions that get made, I'm just a beat cop carrying a sub standard service weapon because it's not a glock. There is no disputing that glock is the favored weapon by the majority of law enforcement agencies. I would be very pleased to carry a glock. I'm not the one that said bcopd was a premier law enforcement agency... But I can promise you it's not filled with the clueless, jack booted thugs that your so adamant it is. It has it's share of issues as does any law enforcement agency of its size.

Just because it's not a glock doesn't mean it's going to fail, suck, and not work. And for my sake, and the sake of the other 1,914 officers that work for such a shitty department, I hope our new shitty guns don't stop working or crumble to dust because they're not glocks..

Tzintzuntzan
09-21-13, 23:34
I know a 3 month testing process was carried out with glock, smith & weason, Springfield armory, another sig, and the fn's. The testing was done by our range cadre and officers were invited to come up from all the precincts to evaluate them before we decided to go with the fn

So HK and Walther weren't invited to the party? I am also curious as to what exactly was the reasoning behind choosing the FNS, not because I doubt the system is able to meet department standards. Personally I find it interesting that S&W didn't win the contract.

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 23:37
No one said they would crumble.

Did you even read the reasons why I stated the glock is a better choice?

Cheaper
Weapons are cheaper up front.
Police already trained on them, or shot them in academy - cheaper
Armorers already know system - cheaper
Parts are plentifull, everywhere and CHEAPER
Nylon and Leather gear already owned - Cheaper
Officers already own compatable backup weapons -CHEAPER

In a world where budgets are getting cut beacuse tax revenue has dropped or will drop. O'malley is already hell bent on taxing everything under the sun to support his communist utopia and keep his corrupt buddies flush with cash.

Would you rather them spend more budget on gear and accesories or on training and range time?

Most cops can't shoot for shit as it is. They need all the range time they can get.

rlb0311
09-21-13, 23:37
I'm not sure why smith and wesson wasn't chosen. I know all the guns that they tested performed very well and that's that why they were all contenders for the bid. I personally carry a M&P 40c off duty, and carried a g27 before that

Tzintzuntzan
09-21-13, 23:43
Any issues with these pistols not firing after being left in hot sunlight? I know that was an issue with one of the FNH pistol lines but can't remember which.

rlb0311
09-21-13, 23:43
You seem to be confusing us with the city... Baltimore County has been carrying sig's since they went away from revolvers... We don't have any glock trained armorers, not trained on them, and are duty gear is not for glocks... As far as back up weapons... We're not authorized to carry a back up gun while working, and off duty it can be any gun you want, as long as it's not SAO, doesn't have an external safety, and is certain calibers. I believe 9mm, 40cal, 45, .38, and 357.sig...
Our current(soon to be retired gun is a sig pro 2340

Cheaper

In a world where budgets are getting cut beacuse tax revenue has dropped or will drop. O'malley is already hell bent on taxing everything under the sun to support his communist utopia and keep his corrupt buddies flush with cash.

Would you rather them spend more budget on gear and accesories or on training and range time?

Most cops can't shoot for shit as it is. They need all the range time they can get.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-21-13, 23:57
Give it up already. You've made your point hundreds of times. No one cares if you keep restating it. Baltimore County bought a good pistol. It wasn't your favorite. Build a bridge.

Cheaper

TurretGunner
09-22-13, 00:05
I'm not sure why smith and wesson wasn't chosen. I know all the guns that they tested performed very well and that's that why they were all contenders for the bid. I personally carry a M&P 40c off duty, and carried a g27 before that

Smiths still come defective from the factory. Bad design all around. Barrel Lockup issues, Bad Accuracy and a trigger that is downright bad.

Most modern pistols are decent. Its when you actually get down to using them, and shooting more than a few mags a year/month that it becomes clearer.

TurretGunner
09-22-13, 00:06
Give it up already. You've made your point hundreds of times. No one cares if you keep restating it. Baltimore County bought a good pistol. It wasn't your favorite. Build a bridge.

WTF are you even talking about. Glock is not even my favorate pistol, but nice try guy.

This is about what is best for the agency and its officers.

They chose poorly.

Tzintzuntzan
09-22-13, 00:07
DreadPirateMoyer,

I know you were unconvinced about striker guns like the current Glock and M&P but have you seen better results with the FNH line? I'm kind of a sucker for buying new toys and I'm wondering if this is a decent buy or not.

rlb0311
09-22-13, 00:10
Damn dude I guess the rest of us our screwed when shtf... Hey at least I got my glock sweat shirt to keep me warm, I must have gotten super lucky that the 3 smith and wessons haven't locked up or fallen apart. And I'm glad you told us all about the trigger and accuracy, here I was thinking I couldn't hit anything because you told us cops can't shoot.. Thank god it's the gun! Now if I can just get my hands on a glock...
Smiths still come defective from the factory. Bad design all around. Barrel Lockup issues, Bad Accuracy and a trigger that is downright bad.

Most modern pistols are decent. Its when you actually get down to using them, and shooting more than a few mags a year/month that it becomes clearer.

Tzintzuntzan
09-22-13, 00:14
I'm curious as to how your M&Ps are holding up. I was initially a bit hesitant to try out an M&P due to all of the issues with previous generations. Now that these seem to have been taken care of I am trying to decide whether it should be added to the pile or not.

rlb0311
09-22-13, 00:20
I've never had any issue with any of them. My off duty I bought back in 09 and have about 4,000 rounds through it with it.
I'm curious as to how your M&Ps are holding up. I was initially a bit hesitant to try out an M&P due to all of the issues with previous generations. Now that these seem to have been taken care of I am trying to decide whether it should be added to the pile or not.

Tzintzuntzan
09-22-13, 00:25
Were those rounds all relatively close together, say same 5 months, or spread out over the years?

rlb0311
09-22-13, 00:28
Spread out since I bought it. I'd say 1,000-1,500 the first 6 months-year

Tzintzuntzan
09-22-13, 00:35
Interesting. Let us know how the FNS holds up once it starts getting put into usage, hopefully it won't get derailed again.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-22-13, 00:42
WTF are you even talking about. Glock is not even my favorate pistol, but nice try guy.

This is about what is best for the agency and its officers.

They chose poorly.

We get it. Most of us disagree.

DreadPirateMoyer,

I know you were unconvinced about striker guns like the current Glock and M&P but have you seen better results with the FNH line? I'm kind of a sucker for buying new toys and I'm wondering if this is a decent buy or not.

I actually like striker fired and hammer fired guns. :) I just don't buy all the fanboyism that striker fired is the only viable choice on the market today. My main sourings with M&Ps and Glocks are with issues that are present in those guns and have persisted unremedied for years, namely accuracy and ejection problems, respectively. It's tough to justify buying either one for their consistent trigger pull when both have what I consider to be debilitating issues, especially post-2010 Glocks of either generation. I've had such miserable experiences with 5 total post-2010 Glocks (with many thousands of rounds through each) that I'll never be buying one again. There's something rotten in Smyrna/Austria.

With regards to the new FNS line, I think they show a lot of promise. They seem to remedy both issues present in Glocks and M&Ps. They seem to be more accurate than M&Ps and don't seem to start stovepiping and kicking brass into your eyes like Glocks at 500-3,000 rounds, all while maintaining the simple and seemingly-rugged design features one would expect from a quality striker fired gun. I haven't been able to put one through the same paces as my other guns (don't even own one yet), but the bit that I have shot them was great. They weren't dinging me in the face and I was making good shots at 25 yards.

I'm glad they're on the market. Maybe it'll get the designers at S&W/Glock to pull their heads out of their asses and fix their lineup, and if not, then hopefully the FNS9 will be the next Glock 19. :) BCPD picking the FNS is good news for all of us, I think, especially BCPD.

If you do grab one, maybe do a review for us and let us known what you think?

Tzintzuntzan
09-22-13, 00:49
Hmm, I might take you up on that offer but it'll be a while before I can get to that. Not to mention my skill level and credentials aren't really all that developed. I might just do a running review of it at a later date.

When I made my initial post I didn't mean to sound like you were opposed to the striker fired mechanics just that you didn't seem to be enthralled with some of the current pistols.

jnc36rcpd
09-23-13, 01:24
TurretGunner, we're actually in the process of evaluating handguns to determine if our SIG 226/239 pistols are still the best option for our agency. We are just a few miles south of Baltimore County. FN is currently on the list for evaluation. Do you have any interest in participating in our evaluation program?

Jumper
09-24-13, 18:24
It`s cool to see an agency step out of the box; Some agency`s had to do the same thing when the Glocks first appeared on the market .

They sound like a very progressive agency/range staff. Nice Job!!

RHINOWSO
09-25-13, 13:44
The Glock cool aid is strong in that one...

Interesting to see FNs out there. I hope the officers are happy with them, regardless if they aren't as perfect a Glocks are in Turretgunners mind...

jnc36rcpd
10-08-13, 23:58
We currently have the FNX-40 and FNS-40 in for evaluation. Most officers who have fired the pistols seem to like the FNS. The FNX, not so much. I felt it had a very heavy double action trigger pull. While I did not notice this, some officers felt the single action pull was extremely light.

While my impression of the FNX is that it seems to be a well-executed DA/SA pistol with a manual safety, I think that particular ship has sailed. I cannot see transitioning to a new pistol with a DA/SA action.