PDA

View Full Version : After 20 years switched from 40 to 9mm (sort of)

Devildawg2531
09-05-13, 11:13
I have been die hard Glock and 40 shooter and CCW for about 20 years. Have used the combination of G22, G24 and G27 for CCW, HD, and competition exclusively. About a year ago I got my 1st 9 a G34 as a pure competition gun due to the lower cost of ammo and continued with carrying and using 40 for the important stuff. I lost my G27 in a kayaking accident. I began running drill's testing 9 vs 40 in the various Glock sizes. In measuring my split times shooting 9 vs 40 running drill's I was frequently .04 to .05 longer with 40 vs 9; the differences were most evident in the small G26 vs G27 size. G17 and 22 and above were neglible. So I replaced my lost G27 with a new G26 Gen4 OD Green yesterday. I find both 40 and 9 pleasant to shoot but my wife finds the 9 more pleasant. So I am making the G34 my HD gun with the Surefire X400 mounted and will begin primarily carrying my G26. I am keeping my G22 gen 4 as I have lots of mags and ammo and this will give me another ammo optoin if in an ammo crunch. Question the gun store had a special for fiber optic Tru Glo tritium night bright sights regularly $99.99 but installed for $50 with the purchase of the gun. I had these installed TruGlo installed to replace the Glock OEM sights but I normally use AmeriClo Hackathorn sights on my Glock's. Anybody had any issies / feedback with the TRuGlo fiber optic tritium bright sights?

ericl
09-05-13, 11:40
The TFOs are prone to rusting if you are in a humid environment. The price at your LGS is great though. I have always found the front sight to be too fat, but that is totally personal preference. I think the Trijicon HDs, 10-8s, Warrens might be a better quality sight, but the quality difference is minimal.

Noodles
09-05-13, 11:41
The TFOs are prone to rusting if you are in a humid environment. The price at your LGS is great though. I have always found the front sight to be too fat, but that is totally personal preference. I think the Trijicon HDs, 10-8s, Warrens might be a better quality sight, but the quality difference is minimal.

Any idea how wide the TFO fronts are?

ericl
09-05-13, 11:45
Add Heinie to the great sight list. I love the "ledge" sights. What home defense ammo are you using in 9mm? 124 gr? 147? I have been leaning toward going "all 9mm" for some time. All my research (reading studies as well as witnessing a few tests by manufacturers) shows the terminal performance of quality defense loads in 9mm vs .40 doesn't show much advantage to the .40 at all. It seems the additional capacity one gets in a 9mm, as well as the increased speed of follow up shots tips the scales (for me, my opinion only) in the direction of the 9mm these days.

Alaskapopo
09-05-13, 12:17
I have been die hard Glock and 40 shooter and CCW for about 20 years. Have used the combination of G22, G24 and G27 for CCW, HD, and competition exclusively. About a year ago I got my 1st 9 a G34 as a pure competition gun due to the lower cost of ammo and continued with carrying and using 40 for the important stuff. I lost my G27 in a kayaking accident. I began running drill's testing 9 vs 40 in the various Glock sizes. In measuring my split times shooting 9 vs 40 running drill's I was frequently .04 to .05 longer with 40 vs 9; the differences were most evident in the small G26 vs G27 size. G17 and 22 and above were neglible. So I replaced my lost G27 with a new G26 Gen4 OD Green yesterday. I find both 40 and 9 pleasant to shoot but my wife finds the 9 more pleasant. So I am making the G34 my HD gun with the Surefire X400 mounted and will begin primarily carrying my G26. I am keeping my G22 gen 4 as I have lots of mags and ammo and this will give me another ammo optoin if in an ammo crunch. Question the gun store had a special for fiber optic Tru Glo tritium night bright sights regularly $99.99 but installed for $50 with the purchase of the gun. I had these installed TruGlo installed to replace the Glock OEM sights but I normally use AmeriClo Hackathorn sights on my Glock's. Anybody had any issies / feedback with the TRuGlo fiber optic tritium bright sights?

I love Truglo fiber optic sights. I use them on both my duty Glock 17 and my Glock 19 back up and off duty gun. I also have them installed an a Kimber I own. Best sights out there in my opinion. I work on the coast. Rust has not been much of an issue. I find the TFO's very fast and I have used them to win at LEO three gun matches and pistol matches over the last few years.
Pat

Devildawg2531
09-05-13, 14:02
I love Truglo fiber optic sights. I use them on both my duty Glock 17 and my Glock 19 back up and off duty gun. I also have them installed an a Kimber I own. Best sights out there in my opinion. I work on the coast. Rust has not been much of an issue. I find the TFO's very fast and I have used them to win at LEO three gun matches and pistol matches over the last few years.
Pat

I shot with them last night for the 1st time to strat breaking in the G26 and they are BRIGHT in the sun and brighter than my AmeriGlo in sun and at night. For $50 installed it was no risk as I would be locked in on replacing the Glock OEM sights - this way I have usable sights and can replace if they don't work out. Shooting steel last night I found them fast and accurate. No issues at all so far.

newyork
09-05-13, 16:02
I've never had them but my friend has a Gen 3 19 and 21SF, both with Tru-Glo sights and loves them. No rust for him.

Devildawg2531
09-05-13, 20:13
Coming home from eating Mexican tonight the Glock 26 got it's 1st confirmed kill. Had about a 2 1/2 foot copperhead in my front yard. 147 grain Speer Gold Dot gave a really impressive performance with a neck shot. :smile:

Just a cosmetic thing but I'm really liking the OD green Glock's.

chadb
09-05-13, 22:27
Coming home from eating Mexican tonight the Glock 26 got it's 1st confirmed kill. Had about a 2 1/2 foot copperhead in my front yard. 147 grain Speer Gold Dot gave a really impressive performance with a neck shot. :smile:

Just a cosmetic thing but I'm really liking the OD green Glock's.
You didn't have to walk on target did you Marine? LOL

Devildawg2531
09-06-13, 12:14
No didn't walk on the target, got a nice nice shot from about 7 yards away (not a big fan of poisnous snakes in yard as our kiddo's are outside a lot). non poisonous are left untouched. The copperheads and rattlesnakes get a swift execution:eek:

The TruGlo sights were highly visible at dusk. Liking them so far.

walkin' trails
09-06-13, 22:58
I also got rid of my 40s and replaced them with 9s, including a 26 Gen IV. I find that a box of 180 grain 40s seemed to cause arthritis in my shooting hand flair up as much as 300 thru my M&P 45. The 26 has better manners. It's going to get a ser of Heinie Ledge Straight 8s. Good job breaking it in on the copper head.