PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 Sights for Walther PPQ... Best sights available

Noodles
09-05-13, 11:45
OK.... So I wrote up a really nice mini-article. Somewhere towards the end, my girl wanted to see what vinepeek was, so I pulled that up, had to restart firefox, lost the review. So, now until my article about the PPQs comes out, you get a smaller mini-review and I'll try and answer any questions I can, so please ask.

I've had between my P99s, PPQs and PPS, almost every sight available to Walther owners. Metal drift style, factory night sights, plastic P99, Walther fiber optic (La Chasse), Trijicon "bright and clear", Meprolight, XS Big Dot, Dawson Precision, and now finally.... 10-8 Sights.

I can without a doubt say that 10-8 has hit the nail on the head here. The achilles' heel of the Walther platform has always been aftermarket support, but with companies like 10-8 putting the time and money in this is changing. The PPQ is easily the most underrated handgun we have access to. It's light, it's reliable, I don't really even need to mention the trigger as everyone already knows it is excellent, ergonomic, accurate, and it makes about the most excellent "non-glock" / "non-M&P" I've come across. But... Up until this year the sights were pretty pathetic.

I'm by no means an expert handgun shooter. I will reluctantly rank myself at "intermediate" although I rarely meet people in person that will out shoot me so I guess I'm not all bad. I've taken the PPQs to 5 different classes now, and I'd estimate that I have roughly 12,000 rounds on between the Walther my PPQs, P99s, and a PPS.

I had NO IDEA what I was missing! Earlier this summer while waiting on the 10-8 sights, I picked up a set of Dawson Precision black rear and red fiber front. These made a massive difference for me and for a competition gun I think these are great. While I watched my accuracy improve greatly, one thing I wasn't crazy about was the rear sight on the Dawson, it's blocky and large. The 10-8 on the other hand...

This is it. The U-notch, the overall size and contoured shape... This is THE defensive sight for this platform. I can't say enough about it really. So just take a look at the pictures for now.

http://s8.postimg.org/p160ya1lh/DSC_1072e.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/qp56cxfh1/DSC_1037e.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/im701luvp/DSC_1061e.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/8aun8y36d/DSC_1056e.jpg

This is a serrated .125" U-notch rear sight, and 10-8's serrated brass-bead front sight. The fill flash wiped out the detail of the brass in the photos, but it's a well constructed in-set brass rod with a cone at the tip that does a really nice job at "collecting" light regardless of the source angle. Hilton Yam of 10-8 explained online this sight collects in low light sooner than fiber and that's very true, I'll have an update on this later. It's not as bright as a fiber in daylight of course, but it's stronger and not exposed for possible damage. I didn't expect to like the brass very much, but it's actually quite nice for being the lower cost option. I'm uncertain 10-8 will offer a Fiber front sight, the package is only marked for Brass Bead and Tritium.

NOTES:

1. These are worth the money! Some may find perference between these and Dawson. I like the rear on this a little better and might switch to a fiber front, but won't do so until I really run these out. Dawson makes a good product, but this is the rear I've been waiting for.

2. The brass bead is a lot nicer than I expected it to be. They are not joking about the low light properties of their cone shaped brass bead, it's not tritium, but it's excellent at low to medium light. When fiber blacks out, the bead is still clearly visible. I have 20/15 vision and I still like the fiber on merits of speed. Perhaps I'll look into some high-visability tritium (Trijicon HD, Ameriglo, TruGlo TFO), but I'd like to talk more with 10-8 before I do this. They obviously know what they are doing.

3. Drift adjustable. These do not used the Walther reverse threaded screw and plunger/spring system for click adjustment. This means these sights should work just fine on the PPQ, P99, P99c, SW990 or whatever that was called, the PPS, and the new PPX. You would think with so many handguns that use this squared-dovetail design it would be obvious for other sight manufacturers to support it.

4. The rear comes a little oversized, because of tolerance differences between the pistols. The click-adjustment sights are not held in by friction on the dovetail. This means you may need to file down the back edge (I recommend the back edge / muzzle side anyhow) of the rear sight's dovetail to get it to fit. WARNING however... 10-8 goes the extra mile on these and they are melonite coated. When I did the same work on the Dawson I simply filed down a bit and good to go. I forgot 10-8 told me these were melonite coated and proceeded to waste about 10 minutes an literally wearing a mark in my file. Melonite is some amazing stuff! I had to grind off the melonite (nitrocarbonizing) coating before my file would even scratch the material. Be careful because once the melonite is gone, the file works quickly.

5. Since these are using the dovetail for fiction like the Dawson and other sights, they have a set screw to provide vertical friction, loctite screws like this. In fact, any time you see any screw on any gun, loctite it.

6. I'm sold. These are absolutely good to go, and imo the best option for this excellent handgun. That said, the Dawsons are a good product too if you happen to have some reservation about the U-notch rear. Personally, for this gun I'd avoid the XS as I feel it removes some of the accuracy potential from the gun. Trijicon and Mep are about even, but for the cost 10-8 has it nailed. I can't wait to get more rounds down these!

EDIT: DON'T call/email/bug 10-8 just yet... I suspect these are almost in production with and I bet they will be on the website shortly. Just be patient.

HES
09-05-13, 17:27
Thanks for the review. The only thing that would make me be hesitant to jumping on these is the question of how easy it is to adjust the rear? Look I'm a strange duck. When it comes to windage my sights always have to be dialed in / drifted to the far right. How hard would it take to drift these into place?

Noodles
09-05-13, 18:13
Thanks for the review. The only thing that would make me be hesitant to jumping on these is the question of how easy it is to adjust the rear? Look I'm a strange duck. When it comes to windage my sights always have to be dialed in / drifted to the far right. How hard would it take to drift these into place?

Loosen the set screw, drift with a pusher tool as usual. Pretty easy.

Hmac
09-05-13, 18:21
Loosen the set screw, drift with a pusher tool as usual. Pretty easy.

Yep. Same as the Dawson Precision rear sight. Or the rear sight on the M&P for that matter. Don't forget the blue loc tite.

MistWolf
09-05-13, 18:35
When fitting an oversized dovetail, don't file the front or the back, file the base.

Does anyone make an all black sight for the PPQ?

Noodles
09-05-13, 18:46
When fitting an oversized dovetail, don't file the front or the back, file the base.

Does anyone make an all black sight for the PPQ?

.... Um... No offense... But you would have been filing a LONG time to get these to fit. Go look at the gun, it's not an angled dove tail. It's square and there is no amount of base filing that would have made these sights go on.

MistWolf
09-05-13, 18:54
I see that now. It's been a long day and you did call it a dove-tail:smile:

CFII
09-05-13, 20:10
I am a big fan of 10-8 sights. I have Dawsons on my PPQ right now, but would love some of those as well. Guess that means I need another PPQ.

mattexass
09-05-13, 20:14
Oh yes! I want one of these for my PPS.

bowietx
09-05-13, 20:28
Noodles,

Great review, having just had the greatest of experiences with the Redback One sights on my Glock I am definitely sold after your review on these for my PPQ. It has been hell finding them in stock with the brass bead, but I do think that after your review that I have to try this configuration. Hopefully they arrive on the scene very soon.

Noodles
09-06-13, 10:43
Noodles,

Great review, having just had the greatest of experiences with the Redback One sights on my Glock I am definitely sold after your review on these for my PPQ. It has been hell finding them in stock with the brass bead, but I do think that after your review that I have to try this configuration. Hopefully they arrive on the scene very soon.

It's funny just how much I'm liking the brass. I had gone in not expecting to like it because I didn't understand what it offered. But it is really visable in low light. Way more so than fiber and none of the concerns about fiber itself breaking. It's really a great middle ground between fiber and tritium.

Hmac
09-06-13, 10:48
It's funny just how much I'm liking the brass. I had gone in not expecting to like it because I didn't understand what it offered. But it is really visable in low light. Way more so than fiber and none of the concerns about fiber itself breaking. It's really a great middle ground between fiber and tritium.

What's the height of the 10-8 front sight? Would it work with the DP rear sight?

Noodles
09-06-13, 10:58
IIRC.... the sight height and width for 10-8 is .180 tall and .125 wide. Dawson has options from .125 and .110 wide iirc.

Honestly though, I have both, and this rear sight is pretty much entirely better. The only thing would be if you didn't "want" the U-notch. But until you try it, I'm not sure how you could really know what you "want".

The one extra that Dawson put in that might have some merit is they serrated the front of the rear sight for one-handed manipulation and while that's a nice touch. I so far have had no issues with working the 10-8 rear off of my belt and holster.

The other thing is I'm not entirely certain of the POI if you were to mix sights, should be plenty fine but you may want to investigate.

Hilton Yam
09-14-13, 15:43
Thank you everyone for your interest, and thanks for the review. Just wanted to pop in to let everyone know that the sights are finally up on our website. We hope you like them.

http://www.10-8performance.com/categories/Sights/

Army Chief
09-14-13, 16:00
Very good to see this, and I would not be at all surprised to see these emerge as the de facto standard for the PPQ over time. They've certainly piqued my interest.

AC

Hmac
09-14-13, 16:00
Just ordered a set.

skatz11
09-14-13, 16:11
May have to break down and get a PPQ now! I'm thinking hard about ordering these for my PPS as as well.

Vlobb
09-14-13, 16:49
This is a serrated .125" U-notch rear sight, and 10-8's serrated brass-bead front sight. The fill flash wiped out the detail of the brass in the photos, but it's a well constructed in-set brass rod with a cone at the tip that does a really nice job at "collecting" light regardless of the source angle. Hilton Yam of 10-8 explained online this sight collects in low light sooner than fiber and that's very true, I'll have an update on this later. It's not as bright as a fiber in daylight of course, but it's stronger and not exposed for possible damage. I didn't expect to like the brass very much, but it's actually quite nice for being the lower cost option. I'm uncertain 10-8 will offer a Fiber front sight, the package is only marked for Brass Bead and Tritium.

2. The brass bead is a lot nicer than I expected it to be. They are not joking about the low light properties of their cone shaped brass bead, it's not tritium, but it's excellent at low to medium light. When fiber blacks out, the bead is still clearly visible. I have 20/15 vision and I still like the fiber on merits of speed. Perhaps I'll look into some high-visability tritium (Trijicon HD, Ameriglo, TruGlo TFO), but I'd like to talk more with 10-8 before I do this. They obviously know what they are doing.

Noodles I have a question for you.... On your front sight, does the brass bead extend out slightly from the face of the front sight or is it even/flush with the front sight?

Hilton Yam
09-14-13, 16:50
Our beads protrude slightly from the serrated face of the sight.

Vlobb
09-14-13, 16:52
Thanks Hilton.... Would the same be true for GLOCK front sights? I just got one one delivered today and it's slightly different from all the pics I've seen, that's why I asked. It's dead even with the face of the sight maybe even recessed slightly.

Hilton Yam
09-14-13, 16:55
There is slight variation from sight to sight, as the brass beads are all manually inserted. Just because the sights worked out that way, the Glock sights tend to have their beads sit a bit deeper than all the others.

Vlobb
09-14-13, 16:57
Thanks Hilton!

Noodles
09-14-13, 17:27
I just put an order in for another sight for my other PPQ. And when I get a 5", it'll wear these too. Completely stoked with the set I have!

DrMark
09-14-13, 19:24
Those look great.

Does the tritium front sight option have a white ring around the tritium insert?

Hilton Yam
09-15-13, 09:09
The insert is plain green. If you visit our website, you'll see photos and info there.

DrMark
09-15-13, 09:13
The insert is plain green. If you visit our website, you'll see photos and info there.
Thanks.

Phillygunguy
09-15-13, 19:21
Those look awesome, great right up too

advan031
09-15-13, 21:38
Hilton,

Any plans on making a square notch for the rear?

eodinert
09-16-13, 06:37
I'm holding out for the second wave of PPQ M1s, but these look fantastic.

I really wish you would try these on a P99... If they fit, I'd get a set for that pistol as well.

MrTips
09-19-13, 22:01
Any plans for a .156" notched rear?

Noodles
09-19-13, 22:59
Any plans for a .156" notched rear?

For what front sight would you have in mind for that?

Medic218
09-20-13, 00:39
I'd been looking at the 10-8s for my PPQ and wondering exactly how the brass bead front would look.
Thanks for the visual and the review.

MrTips
09-20-13, 07:24
For what front sight would you have in mind for that?

10-8's.

HCrum87hc
09-25-13, 13:08
Great write up. I've been contemplating some new sights for my PPQ M1. I think I just decided on which ones to get. :D

Noodles
09-25-13, 17:38
Great write up. I've been contemplating some new sights for my PPQ M1. I think I just decided on which ones to get. :D

I've had almost everything out there and these are the ones I stuck with. Glad I could help!

skatz11
09-25-13, 22:27
I just installed a the 10-8 Plain Rear and Tritium front on my PPS. I had to do some more fitting than I expected. The PPS must have a different profile on the top/rear of the slide. I had to file a few lines of serrations off to get the sight to fit. I also had to file the front of the sight per 10-8's instructions.

Here are some pictures:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NVHhAi6Kcmk/UkOeHXPgBhI/AAAAAAAACR8/7ceGEa9NPuU/s720/IMG_1197.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t3sGlH4Ufx0/UkOeJ8Ap30I/AAAAAAAACSY/VTVIGD4-Fnw/s512/IMG_1201.JPG

Here's the problem area on the slide:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rfy-nRPT2ys/UkOeKyslx6I/AAAAAAAACSU/suYB2xTR014/s401/Slide_Detail.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wa4JjaJ_jfQ/UkOeLV549zI/AAAAAAAACSg/pt-vvzcNA-A/s547/Side_view_close_up.JPG

Here's a target shot from 7, 10, and 25 yards. 115gr CCI Blazer Brass
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q4pVPbrmntQ/UkOeEHmZoEI/AAAAAAAACRk/ahs_61GnC70/s512/IMG_1195.JPG
All of the shots out of the black circle were from 25 yards. I was having a hard time seeing the black shoot-n-see on the purple target. The first (5) shots @ 25 were low, with the one bad press(slap) in the lower right below the armpit area.

The sight picture is clear, and quick to acquire. The profile of the rear sight is much better than the stock rear for one hand manipulation. I was able to rack the slide easily on my belt.

I would prefer a wider notch or a more narrow front post. I'm used to running Warren 0.15" rears on my Glocks. I can't wait to get back to the range and run these at speed.

mattexass
09-25-13, 22:44
Skatz11,

Thanks for the update what does the stock height compare to the 10-8's my googlefu is weak and I seem to be having a harder time than usual time stock height for front and rear.

Medic218
09-26-13, 00:45
Skatz11 - Did you have to file any on your front sight or did it go on w/o incident?

skatz11
09-26-13, 06:49
Skatz11 - Did you have to file any on your front sight or did it go on w/o incident?

No filing on the front, I was able to gently tap it in place.

Magic_Salad0892
09-26-13, 10:04
Awesome. Simply awesome.

I wonder if it'd be worth switching from Glocks to the PPQ now.

Mr. Yam: (Here's hoping you have the availability to respond.)

Is it true that 10-8 is working on a Beretta sight?

t1tan
09-26-13, 10:29
Awesome. Simply awesome.

I wonder if it'd be worth switching from Glocks to the PPQ now.

Considering the exact same.

MrTips
09-26-13, 12:31
Here are some pictures:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NVHhAi6Kcmk/UkOeHXPgBhI/AAAAAAAACR8/7ceGEa9NPuU/s720/IMG_1197.JPG

So from the packaging slip, this pic suggests that there is or will be a .156" wide version of the rear site. Can someone from 10-8 clarify?

Noodles
09-26-13, 13:05
Considering the exact same.

IMO, the PPQ makes about the most excellent Non-Glock and Non-M&P you can get. For duty/carry, to me it beats out every Beretta, Sig, XD, practical 1911, HK, and etc.

BUT... I still have a use for Glock or M&P or Both. Even if Walther did EVERYTHING right and even got some contracts, there is just too much support for all things Glock/M&P to be a replacement. So I see Walther as a supplement item that I prefer shooting. All my rounds in 2013 were practically with Walther PPQ, but I won't sell my Glock/M&P (for me it's Glock but I don't fault anyone for M&P at all!)

Hmac
09-26-13, 14:56
I have a Glock, M&P, and PPQ. I found that I really have little use for the Glock or the M&P. I've got my LGS looking for another PPQ with paddle release. If he can't find one then I'll have to wait until they start importing them again. I've found the PPQ to be superior to the other two in virtually every way, with the possible exception of magazine availability (although I have 17 of them).

I put Dawson sights on mine and love them. I have some 10-8s that I just received just waiting or a little time in the shop. I've had no problem getting holsters that I like...BladeTech, RCS, and a nice leather DeSantis. I picked up a bunch of spare parts without any trouble (RSA, striker, extractor assy). I can't think what I would ever need from the aftermarket for this particular pistol.

t1tan
09-26-13, 15:32
So from the packaging slip, this pic suggests that there is or will be a .156" wide version of the rear site. Can someone from 10-8 clarify?

I'm interested as well, if it will be a while I may just order a tritium front to use for the time being on my PPS.

B Cart
01-09-14, 16:36
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I really want to get a pair of these sights for my PPQ, and the 10-8 site shows out of stock for 6-8 weeks. Is there anywhere else that carries these sights, or do I need to order them from 10-8 directly? Does anyone know if there is any way to get on a waiting list with them?

Thanks

js213
01-21-14, 21:29
I know Brownells and Rainier Arms sell 10-8 products, but neither seems to have these sights listed.

Are there other resellers?

t1tan
01-22-14, 10:01
They posted on Facebook announcing fronts are back in stock for various models, PPQ included

http://www.10-8performance.com/product-news/

m4brian
03-19-16, 18:14
So if you want to use a tritium front with this 10-8 rear - which one? Thanks.

JackFanToM
03-19-16, 19:20
I went with Dawson fo front coupled with the 10-8 rear, so I have no experience with the tritium ones available on the ppq. Having said that, it appears the trijicon hd are the recommended ones on the Walther forums

LDM
03-20-16, 09:26
A Glock front sight will work on a PPQ or P99. Much wider choice of sights and sight heights. I presently have Ameriglo ProGlo Glock sights on a P99 and PPQ with 10-8 rears.
To do this, you will need a #4 washer; I used a brass #4 from Lowes.
The channel in the Walther slide is slightly larger than the Glock sight base. Some have used epoxy to fill that space. However I have had no problem using just the #4 washer which seems to center the Glock sight in the Walther channel.

m4brian
03-20-16, 15:42
Gentlemen: thanks for the pertinent information. Does anyone think that any of the other steel rear sights that screw on can be trusted?

Also is the 10-8 rear fairly simple to install? I guess you need a diamond file.

crosseyedshooter
03-20-16, 16:39
Maybe this'll give you an idea on difficulty or maybe not. I used a sharpening stone to install my 10-8 rear sight and took me over an hour. Then again, I'm no gunsmith and don't even own a bench vise.

m4brian
03-20-16, 16:41
Do you have a pusher? (I do, but it is a 'general one'). I'm used to 20 min projects taking 1.5 hours...

crosseyedshooter
03-20-16, 17:16
The sight base isn't a dovetail, it's rectangular so it's not really a press fit. I sized the sight to tap into place and there's a set screw that keeps it there. For me, I didn't see any need for a sight pusher for this install.

balance
03-21-16, 14:11
Does anyone think that any of the other steel rear sights that screw on can be trusted?

Personally, my answer would be no.

It isn't the screw that is the issue, but the plunger that keeps the rear sight in place that holds on to the screw. The "ears" on the plunger can break if the rear sight is impacted against something hard enough, and then there is nothing to hold the rear sight in place.

I would only stick with sights made for the PPS, or any of the aftermarket options that are not click-adjustable.

m4brian
03-21-16, 14:38
I would only stick with sights made for the PPS, or any of the aftermarket options that are not click-adjustable.

Balance - thanks - good logic.

Are the PPS sights all good for the PPQ and P99?

JackFanToM
03-21-16, 15:08
I've used the 10-8 and Dawson sights on my ppq. Neither had any issues (Dawson ones just look odd when installed). I used a DMT diamond stone to fit mine. You can get a 2 sided (course/fine) 6" stone for around $40-50. Worthwhile to own the stone, as the offer a plethora of things you can use them for

balance
03-21-16, 15:35
Are the PPS sights all good for the PPQ and P99?

Yes.

All PPS sights will fit on a P99 or PPQ.

m4brian
03-23-16, 13:31
A Glock front sight will work on a PPQ or P99. Much wider choice of sights and sight heights. I presently have Ameriglo ProGlo Glock sights on a P99 and PPQ with 10-8 rears.
To do this, you will need a #4 washer; I used a brass #4 from Lowes.
The channel in the Walther slide is slightly larger than the Glock sight base. Some have used epoxy to fill that space. However I have had no problem using just the #4 washer which seems to center the Glock sight in the Walther channel.
How about POI/POA with this setup?

LDM
03-24-16, 07:29
How about POI/POA with this setup?

Ameriglo offers different sight heights, including 0.180 which I believe is factory. Depending on your preference, you could use a different sight height to get a different sight picture.
I have used this setup on a PPQ and a PPS for a couple of years and recently installed same on a P99. No problems.
However I recently saw and ordered Glock front sight screws that are just a bit longer. The washer used as a spacer means the standard screw does not have as much purchase into the threads. May be a non-issue, but for a few bucks I thought I'd try to do better. Good luck.

deleteyourselph
04-03-16, 18:38
Quality of the PPQ is amazing. Too bad the aftermarket support isn't...

JackFanToM
04-03-16, 23:38
I have found every item I wanted for the PPQ. What are you looking for that you have not found? The beauty of the PPQ is that it requires nearly no aftermarket support. Consider the weaknesses of other platforms - m&p has crap accuracy and a mushy trigger, so it needs aftermarket barrels, triggers, Sears, etc. the flock has terrible ergos and an average trigger. You can get good aftermarket sights, good holsters what else does it need?

prdubi
04-04-16, 00:34
Still haven't decided on a site for my PPQ m2 Navy

I'm really wanting suppressor nite sites.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

m4brian
07-08-16, 12:59
How does this stack up against the 10-8? https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-walther-pps-ppx-fixed-charger-black-rear-sights/

Anyone install these? I know you need to diamond file the 10-8.

OK - here is a thread, and it looks like you file to fit, but has anyone compared these head to head?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?112957-New-PPQ-sights-from-Dawson-Precision!/page3

JackFanToM
07-08-16, 13:02
I started with those, but switched the rears to 10-8's soon after (kept the FO Dawson fronts). I never liked the bulk of the Dawson rears nor felt they fit as securely as the 10-8s. They are better than the stock sights imo.

m4brian
07-08-16, 13:06
Thanks - that does it for me. I do think the 10-8s look a bit better.

Thinking about a Glock Tritium front OR FO. Any help here? I'll go 10-8 if FO.

Uprange41
07-08-16, 13:24
Thanks - that does it for me. I do think the 10-8s look a bit better.

Thinking about a Glock Tritium front OR FO. Any help here? I'll go 10-8 if FO.

I use 10-8's .100" front FO and .156" rears. It's been my favorite sight setup to-date.

I will always go FO over just tritium, but if you want a tritium front, go for it. Trijicon HD fronts also work well with 10-8 rears. Same height as 10-8's standard front, and the .156" rear is close enough to Trijicon's .169" to leave daylight on the sides when you look through your sight picture. Just an option.

BatteryOperated
07-08-16, 14:22
I use both Dawson and 10-8 on my PPQ 9mm. My first set-up was an Ameriglo Pro Orange HD front and a Dawson plain black rear. The one I run now is a Dawson Tritium front and a 10-8 rear. The 10-8 is clearly a better sight. The Dawsons have proved to be made of a softer metal that dents on the sharp corners, and shows wear on the finish easily. The 10-8 IMO is hardened a little better and I like the U-notch rear. I have no experience with the 10-8 front.

Noodles
07-08-16, 18:23
I use both Dawson and 10-8 on my PPQ 9mm. My first set-up was an Ameriglo Pro Orange HD front and a Dawson plain black rear. The one I run now is a Dawson Tritium front and a 10-8 rear. The 10-8 is clearly a better sight. The Dawsons have proved to be made of a softer metal that dents on the sharp corners, and shows wear on the finish easily. The 10-8 IMO is hardened a little better and I like the U-notch rear. I have no experience with the 10-8 front.

Similar experience. I didn't need to file the Dawsons but if I did it wouldn't have needed a diamond file at all. Do they make butter files? (joking)

My Dawsons started to rust right away however, no such issues with the 10-8 being melonite coated.

teutonicpolymer
07-08-16, 19:41
I have found every item I wanted for the PPQ. What are you looking for that you have not found? The beauty of the PPQ is that it requires nearly no aftermarket support. Consider the weaknesses of other platforms - m&p has crap accuracy and a mushy trigger, so it needs aftermarket barrels, triggers, Sears, etc. the flock has terrible ergos and an average trigger. You can get good aftermarket sights, good holsters what else does it need?

I wanted to love the PPQ because I agree the quality and trigger pull are great as are accuracy reports (I haven't personally grouped one), but there aren't guide rod options, recoil spring options, or mag release options.

The slide release levers are stupidly big, the bore axis is pretty high, the grip is a bit short (maybe this could be improved by undercutting the trigger guard and raising the beavertail), and the ergos are screwed up in some places like behind the mag release on the M2, higher on the frame in both, underneath the trigger guard on the M2, etc. Another fatal flaw is the grip texture. While it is better than some, it prevents the use of grip tape.

I do love all the features on the slide like the front serrations, top strap serrations, etc.- especially on the 5" which has small ports.

I would love it if Glock took all the good ppq features and used them for the gen 5.

JackFanToM
07-09-16, 09:23
I simply stippled my ppq, as I preferred it to the feel of talon grips (which work by the way). I have a steel guide rod in mine, so there are options for guide rods, the grip works perfect for me with the large backstrap, as for bore axis well I have timed it vs an m&p and I'm way faster back on target with the ppq. I find it easily controllable and incredibly accurate and easy to shoot ymmv.

BatteryOperated
07-09-16, 10:51
I wanted to love the PPQ because I agree the quality and trigger pull are great as are accuracy reports (I haven't personally grouped one), but there aren't guide rod options, recoil spring options, or mag release options.

Yes, guide rods are available but they will cost you. I am waiting for the OEM plastic to break before investing in a aftermarket rod.

http://btguiderods.com/category/walther/p99-ppq/

http://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/

m4brian
07-09-16, 14:04
I went ahead and ordered the 10-8 rear and tritium front. My son has a similar setup on a G19. Have a diamond stone on the way too.

BatteryOperated
07-09-16, 15:37
I went ahead and ordered the 10-8 rear and tritium front. My son has a similar setup on a G19. Have a diamond stone on the way too.

Did you get the 10-8 tritium front? The lack of a color ring around the tritium vial drove me away.

m4brian
07-10-16, 08:54
Yes. I'll try it. My son (who is LE) likes it.

pinzgauer
07-10-16, 11:06

"I've not shot one, but I've decided I don't like it because aftermarket stuff made to address problems with my favorite platform do not exist, even though the PPQ/P99 has not demonstrated need for said items..."

Though I do agree, I do not like the M2 release. But the M1 PPQ & p99as rocks! Multiple Glock fans immediately bought PPQ after shooting mine.

I shoot Tula steel to hot stuff. P99 and PPQ just works, no need for aftermarket extractor, guide rods, trigger packs. No limp writing or weak ammo excuses for males or bad ejection patterns

teutonicpolymer
07-10-16, 11:08
"I've not shot one, but I've decided I don't like it because aftermarket stuff made to address problems with my favorite platform do not exist, even though the PPQ/P99 has not demonstrated need for said items..."

Though I do agree, I do not like the M2 release. But the M1 PPQ & p99as rocks! Multiple Glock fans immediately bought PPQ after shooting mine.

I shoot Tula steel to hot stuff. P99 and PPQ just works, no need for aftermarket extractor, guide rods, trigger packs. No limp writing or weak ammo excuses for males or bad ejection patterns

Have shot it... I know what works for me and what doesnt

Uprange41
07-10-16, 11:33

Except Glocks don't need any of that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
07-10-16, 11:55
Have shot it... I know what works for me and what doesnt

Fair enough

Except Glocks don't need any of that either.

Some, including the comment I referenced, apparently think so. With some empirical evidence to support that need.

I might agree *some* glocks may not need them. (Gen 2? Early gen 3's, etc)

I personally know multiple folks who have had glocks have to go for service for issues.

Won't try to compare walthers, but of the ones I'm aware of none have had issues. But it's an admittedly smaller circle.

Glocks have the Chrysler minivan issue- Chrysler sold more minivans than all other mfgs combined early on. So you were statistically more likely to know someone who had a problem. Even if statistically they were not much less reliable than peers.

63Qcode
07-11-16, 15:37
Inebriated , you mentioned you were using the 10-8 front FO in a .100" width and their rear with a .156" notch . Just checked their website and they don`t list those sights ..... were they a custom order ??
My PPQ M1 currently has the .115" wide Dawson front FO and the 10-8 U notch rear ( # 12 -140 ) and I would love to change that .
I really wish 10-8 would bring back the brass bead insert for the front sight . I have the Wilson one on my G19 and love it .
Someone also mentioned they would like a steel rod for the RSA .... I just replaced the stock one with a Sprinco unit , which has a metal rod . Also , took the Talon grips off as they were dragging on my shirt with an IWB holster and my grip wasn`t consistent . Personal feeling here , they work for a range gun , but not for me on concealed carry .
Carole tried my PPQ today after trying my LAV G19 , a G36 and her XDS . She mentioned the high axis thing , but then proceeded to shoot better then with either of the other guns . The ergonomics of the PPQ are what sold me on that gun ..... and several HK owners now have a PPQ after firing my PPQ ...... the trigger did it for them .
IMHO , the gun only needs a good set of sights and it`s GTG . The stock Walther sights are plastic and just don`t work . Holsters ? Try JM Custom Kydex . Also , love the paddle mag release .
Admittedly , my round count is only about 2000 so far , but the just works with the 10-8 rear sight .

Uprange41
07-11-16, 15:58
Inebriated , you mentioned you were using the 10-8 front FO in a .100" width and their rear with a .156" notch . Just checked their website and they don`t list those sights ..... were they a custom order ??

My mistake, I was talking about Glock sights. When I first posted, all I read was "10-8 Sights" from the main forum page, and just replied to m4brian about the Glock sights specifically.

Some, including the comment I referenced, apparently think so. With some empirical evidence to support that need.
What might that empirical evidence be?

I might agree *some* glocks may not need them. (Gen 2? Early gen 3's, etc)
Based on what?

I personally know multiple folks who have had glocks have to go for service for issues.
Going in for issues like...? You're not making any actual points.

ETA - Actually, nevermind... this thread has nothing to do with Glock.

Street Survival
07-16-16, 03:15
Personally, I like 10-8 rear with Dawson Fiber optic front as it's much brighter than all other front optic sight. Get your self some extra fiber optic rod from Dawson it's very cheap by the foot.

m4brian
07-16-16, 08:02
http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-rear-sight/

About to install this. I may do so after shooting today. Any pointers? I have the diamond file, ad will use a small hobby vice to hold the sight, and evidently you only file the front bottom of the sight. Do I tap on with a brass hammer, or should I need to push on with a pusher? How tight is it supposed to be? Thanks.

JackFanToM
07-16-16, 08:38
Mine required full bottom filing, and I used a DMT fine grit diamond stone and finished with a spyderco UF stone to polish it. Tapped it in with the urethane side of my hammer

Hmac
07-16-16, 09:47
I've had my PPQ for several years. I have about 6000 rounds through it. I put a 10-8 U-rear with brass bead. They're OK. High quality but I find that I shoot better and faster with plain-old 3-dots. Personal preference. I've been switching my various pistols over to Meprolights.

In all the hard use I've put my PPQ through, I cannot for the life of me understand either the guide rod reservations or the concerns about the slide release. For my grip and preference, I find the slide release to be perfect, and after 6000 rounds on the same RSA, I am utterly indifferent to the desirability or necessity of a steel guide rod. I conclude that there's no accounting for taste. Personal preference rules in retail, I guess.

m4brian
07-16-16, 16:43
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/4f5353ebd0aefa5a04d29ef96f1be3b5a9d06cc.jpg

I only filed the front bottom of the sight. It went on fairly easily. I may have took off a tad too much metal. I was surprised how quick it went. I have a NICE cheap diamond stone I got on-line which worked really well. I also blued the front of the sight where I took metal off.

63Qcode
07-19-16, 08:27
m4brian .... I see you found out what I did on the 10-8 rear installation . I kept filing and testing and went from really tough to get in to slides right in with a light push . You really have to go slow on that last final fitting . The fit shouldn`t be a problem . Once I checked my zero , I just blue Locktited the set screw in and it hasn`t drifted yet ( about 500 rounds ) .

m4brian
01-02-17, 12:33
So I like the 10-8 complete set with tritium on P99(1). Have another, and am thinking of using a Meprolight front. However, I'm not certain how the sight picture will be and if it might be too low or too wide with the 10-8 rear. Anyone know? Thanks.