PDA

View Full Version : Glock 24 purpose?

Devildawg2531
09-06-13, 16:17
I have recently transitioned from the 40's to 9 and my home gun has been the Glock 24 this role has been replaced by the G34. I am struggling to see a role competition or other that will be better served by the G24 over my G22 or G34. I am strongly considering selling the G24 to get a G17 which will allow holster compatibility with my G22.

I see that the G24 isn't on Glock's website is their any additional value if Glock isn't producing them?

Appreciate the input.

okie john
09-06-13, 16:24
Some competition shooters will take any advantage they can get, such as a slightly longer barrel to increase sight radius and muzzle velocity. Gun makers will build guns that offer these features if they think enough people will buy them.

At times the bodies who govern competitive shooting will change the rules, so the gunmakers change the guns to match and you get guns like the G24 being replaced by the G34.

This is why so many S&W revolvers come with 8 3/8" barrels. Back before WWI, the barrels were slightly longer, but the NRA changed the rules for pistol competition and the barrels got shorter.

Okie John

Devildawg2531
09-06-13, 16:35
Some competition shooters will take any advantage they can get, such as a slightly longer barrel to increase sight radius and muzzle velocity. Gun makers will build guns that offer these features if they think enough people will buy them.

At times the bodies who govern competitive shooting will change the rules, so the gunmakers change the guns to match and you get guns like the G24 being replaced by the G34.

This is why so many S&W revolvers come with 8 3/8" barrels. Back before WWI, the barrels were slightly longer, but the NRA changed the rules for pistol competition and the barrels got shorter.

Okie John
Yes I used to shoot the G24 in competition before I got the G34. I don't see any difference in my times between the 2 so I shoot the G34 as ammo is cheaper (at least for a wile I am still shooting up my $8 a box 9mm). Also the G24 I can't use in IDPA. It may be odd but I really like for each gun / caliber to have a role / purpose and don't see 1 for the G24. Want to make sure I'm not missing something before selling it.

El Cid
09-06-13, 17:53
You could always do what I did - get a 17L. It's my nightstand gun with an X300. I like the balance and the extra sight radius/velocity is not going to hurt. Of course... I also have a 34 that I would be more than okay using in the same role. But I love the 17L!

Glock makes the 24 and 17L on and off over the years.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/GLK17L.aspx

ericl
09-06-13, 22:00
I don't think you are missing anything at all. I agree with your thought process. I don't like having guns (pistols or rifles) to just "have" them. While the 17L and G24 are not super common, they are not "rare" in the sense they would be worth keeping for collecting purposes (the only Glocks I would keep around for collecting might be a Gen 1, but that is more for my personal "I think its cool factor" than monetary). As far as performance, my experience with the G34 is great. I have shot the 24 and any additional sight radius/muzzle velocity gained is overshadowed by it not feeling as good as the G34. While "feel" of a gun cannot be measured, it is a huge personal factor. I don't think you will have a problem selling the 24, as there are those that will be into that. In addition, I think if you get a 17 to replace it, the G17 might become your favorite! Post your comparison of the G17 and G34 performance when the time comes!

Devildawg2531
09-06-13, 22:04
I don't think you are missing anything at all. I agree with your thought process. I don't like having guns (pistols or rifles) to just "have" them. While the 17L and G24 are not super common, they are not "rare" in the sense they would be worth keeping for collecting purposes (the only Glocks I would keep around for collecting might be a Gen 1, but that is more for my personal "I think its cool factor" than monetary). As far as performance, my experience with the G34 is great. I have shot the 24 and any additional sight radius/muzzle velocity gained is overshadowed by it not feeling as good as the G34. While "feel" of a gun cannot be measured, it is a huge personal factor. I don't think you will have a problem selling the 24, as there are those that will be into that. In addition, I think if you get a 17 to replace it, the G17 might become your favorite! Post your comparison of the G17 and G34 performance when the time comes!

Agree with your thoughts, I am leaning heavily in this direction. Selling the G24 and getting the G17. I would CCW the G26 or G17 depending on situation and using the G34 for competitiion and as the night stand gun with X400 and keep the G22 in the safe just to have access to 40 if needed.

Robb Jensen
09-06-13, 22:40
Cheap USPSA Limited Major pistol.

dookie1481
09-08-13, 11:05
Cheap USPSA Limited Major pistol.

I was going to say this. Bob Vogel won Limited Nats a while back with a G24.