PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Hornandy Critical Defense

mysak
09-06-13, 16:34
Has any had any issues with Hornandy CD in a Glock 19? I haven't found any thing that says otherwise just curious. Thanks.

CougarBlue
09-06-13, 19:41
I have put somewhere in the range of 150 rounds of CD through my Glock 19 with no issues. It's a small data point and I have read about others having issues, but for me I haven't had any issues with my limited rounds.

ericl
09-06-13, 21:39
Are you looking for experience with the GEN 3 or the GEN 4? I am curious to see others' experience with various rounds as well. While you are looking to see how the CD/Glock 19 combination works, which of the two (ammo or pistol) are you most skeptical?

mysak
09-07-13, 00:44
Gen 3 19, I was just curious as I have some CD and I didn't know if I shoot some of it and carry it.

Averageman
09-07-13, 06:11
I carry that same ammo in my 17 and 26 for edc and in my nightstand gun.
I have never had an issue, but if someone knows of one I would like to hear about it.

TangoSierra
09-07-13, 06:14
I too am curious. I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19. It's between Gold Dots and Critical Defense for carry ammo.

Sent from my NSA Monitoring Device using Tapatalk 2.

C4IGrant
09-07-13, 07:39
The three best loads are typically HST, GD's and Ranger.

I don't know that I would deviate from these choices.

C4

ST911
09-07-13, 08:45
I know of some 9mm critical defense and critical duty that needs to be rotated. I can try it in 2/3/4gen Glocks. What should I look for?

Cylinder Head
09-07-13, 08:49
I am not a fan of Hornady CD. The .45 rounds are far too long, and will lock up even my HK45.

DocH
09-07-13, 08:52

C4

Good advice right here.

wahoo95
09-07-13, 08:54

C4

This.... I've never understood the fascination with CD outside of nifty marketing. There's a reason its not a popular choice for duty ammo with LE.

StrikerFired
09-07-13, 09:12
Critical Defense isn't meant or marketed to LE for Duty Ammo. Critical Duty is and it has been coming on line for 9mm, 40 and 45acp. I'm waiting to see any reports from use on humans/animals before I'll pass judgement on whether it works or not, just pointing out the difference.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-07-13, 10:03

C4

Truth.

This.... I've never understood the fascination with CD outside of nifty marketing. There's a reason its not a popular choice for duty ammo with LE.

I do know one thing about Critical Defense ammo. In my brief time working in a gun store I noticed that Fudd's would buy that stuff by the pallet load for their Ruger SR9's and Springfield XD's. One time we had a sale on Gold Dots, and the Critical Defense STILL sold out faster than the Gold Dots!:confused:

RBid
09-07-13, 11:35

C4

Answer 'E': 'strongly agree'.

Jaykayyy
09-07-13, 12:37
Answer 'E': 'strongly agree'.

Critical Duty would lock up my g26, but both of my g19s eat em with no problemos.

one
09-07-13, 16:32
Truth.

I do know one thing about Critical Defense ammo. In my brief time working in a gun store I noticed that Fudd's would buy that stuff by the pallet load for their Ruger SR9's and Springfield XD's. One time we had a sale on Gold Dots, and the Critical Defense STILL sold out faster than the Gold Dots!:confused:

That's because that stuff is marketed out the ass on tv and hyped in the various shooting shows on cable that Hornady is a major sponsor of.

The Ruger and XD products are the same situation.

mysak
09-07-13, 21:40
My main stays are hst and golden saber but I found some cd for less than 20 bucks otd so said what the heck and picked some up. Figured id see if anyone has had any luck with them ill probably just shoot em off.

rickmy
09-07-13, 21:51
I attended a gel shoot with Hornady Critical Duty and Gold Dot. Hornady performed better in terms of reliable expansion than our issued Gold Dot. If I remember correctly the Gold Dot did a nose dive through thin sheet metal and went out of the back of the gel. While Gold Dot is great it showed a higher propensity to over penetrate due to poor expansion (only through medium such as wood/sheet metal that I remember)

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-07-13, 22:13
That's because that stuff is marketed out the ass on tv and hyped in the various shooting shows on cable that Hornady is a major sponsor of.

The Ruger and XD products are the same situation.

Ironic isn't it?

denn1911
09-07-13, 22:20
Although I carry Speer GD in my 9mm pistols, I've run Hornady Critical Defense during some testing and random range sessions. My experience was flawless performance through 2 of my 17's and one 19. My CD experience is limited to less than 200 rounds so take that for what it's worth.

Wake27
09-07-13, 22:25

C4

I thought Hornady TAP was very popular as well?

SpeedRacer
09-08-13, 00:46
My basic rule of thumb: if it comes in 20rd boxes with holographics, glitter or the word "zombie" on it, you probably got ripped off.

Tomac
09-08-13, 05:27
Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary. All handguns are relatively poor "stoppers" regardless of caliber or bullet used.
Any quality JHP that's reliable, accurate & provides sufficient penetration should do fine, I doubt the BG would notice the difference. JMHO...
Tomac

Scrubber3
09-08-13, 08:44
Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary. All handguns are relatively poor "stoppers" regardless of caliber or bullet used.
Any quality JHP that's reliable, accurate & provides sufficient penetration should do fine, I doubt the BG would notice the difference. JMHO...
Tomac

Winner winner chicken dinner. Tomac, you nailed it.

ST911
09-08-13, 09:18
I thought Hornady TAP was very popular as well?

Popular, yes, prudent...perhaps not. Unless something has changed, the TAPs use the XTP. Superbly accurate bullets by nature, but older technology and not as consistent as others mentioned.

Abraham
09-08-13, 12:07
After reading this thread, I feel a bit more educated Hornady pistol and Speer Gold Dot rounds.

In my Glock 19, my self defense load: Speer Gold Dot, 124 grain, JHP +P.

Perhaps the +P is overkill...

Tomac
09-08-13, 12:13
After reading this thread, I feel a bit more educated Hornady pistol and Speer Gold Dot rounds.
In my Glock 19, my self defense load: Speer Gold Dot, 124 grain, JHP +P.
Perhaps the +P is overkill...

In my subcompact 9's, there's a significant difference in controllability for me between std pressure & +P loads so it's std pressure for me for faster & more accurate followup shots (YMMV).
Tomac

Abraham
09-09-13, 15:45
Tomac,

I agree.

My +P is not necessary.

I'm going back to standard.

If you've shot the +P round in a Glock 19, it's not that's noticable a difference from a standard round, but I don't want over-penetration if I need to defend myself or my loved ones...

chadb
09-11-13, 07:50
Your best bet is to buy a few different types of ammo that you are interested in and run them through you gun to see which works best. It can be a little costly but it may save your life one day so I suggest trying a few different types