PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something? FN Hi-Power

Gutshot John
09-10-13, 14:33
I've always had a yen for a hi-power but I've seen new ones (I think from FN but definitely Browning) for a lot less.

Does this seem like a reasonable price for a Hi-power with lots of holster wear?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=732&name=FN+%28Belgium%29+Hi+Power+9mm+w%2f+RARE+Alloy+Frame

Magsz
09-10-13, 14:50
Its an alloy framed hi power.

Yes, that is going rate, if not a good deal.

Gutshot John
09-10-13, 16:41
Good to know, it seems like not long ago that I had seen FN alloy frames for about $400 (cdnninvestments?), but it probably only seems that way.

Magsz
09-10-13, 17:27
You are correct but i believe that was two years ago.

400-500 was the going rate for an alloy HP.

alvincullumyork
09-11-13, 15:06
I thought I remembered a thread here about a guy who bought one off of gunbroker for around 4 something and there were a whole bunch left from the same seller. Fairly recently to.

Magsz
09-11-13, 17:42
I thought I remembered a thread here about a guy who bought one off of gunbroker for around 4 something and there were a whole bunch left from the same seller. Fairly recently to.

I am 99% sure those were steel framed guns.

brickboy240
09-12-13, 15:52
Many of the recent offered surplus Hi Powers have cast steel frames.

The cast steel frame is actually harder and more durable than the machined steel frames of old. The Israelis spec'd the cast frame when they adopted the Hi-Power as a side arm. The harder cast frame would stand up to their hotter IMI made 9mm ammo that they created to work in their Uzis. This ammo would beat an alloy framed 9mm to junk in a hurry.

FN decided to stick with the cast steel frame when they developed the 40SW caliber Hi-Power, so it must be pretty stout.

I read this on Steven camp's Hi-Power pages many years ago and it made sense.

I own a cast steel frame Izzy surplus HP and it is an exceptional shooter. Grab one and toss in a Cylinder & Slide hammer/sear/spring kit and you will love it. A reliable 9mm single action auto.

-brickboy240

C4IGrant
09-12-13, 16:11
Its an alloy framed hi power.

Yes, that is going rate, if not a good deal.

A VERY good deal and a VERY rare gun. I bought 4 of them and and now up to 6 total. :D

C4

40Arpent
09-12-13, 17:10

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=133199

40Arpent
09-12-13, 17:14
I've seen new ones (I think from FN but definitely Browning) for a lot less.

John, I'd like to know where you have seen new BHP's for even a little less than the Aim price.

Gutshot John
09-12-13, 17:18
John, I'd like to know where you have seen new BHP's for even a little less than the Aim price.

Answered above.

40Arpent
09-12-13, 17:20
Answered above.

Ah, thanks, sorry I missed it.

Gutshot John
09-12-13, 17:37
Is this a collector piece? Or a shooter?

DanTSX
09-13-13, 20:34
I haven't seen an inexpensive new high power from FN or Browning in years. Back in 2005 or so, CDNN had obtained a large quantity of 9mm and .40S&W hi powers in various finishes, and some even had the SFS hammer on them. They sold these for sometimes under $400 if I recall correctly. Once these cleared the market, the BHP has been on a steady march upwards in price. First it was $750, $850, and now MSRP is well over $1000 I think. The FN guns are no longer being imported, so Browning is the only new HP coming in. And they seem to only trickle in batches at that.

Personally, I would try to find a lightly used or LNIB MkIII at a local gun store. I've seen in the recent past a nice Practical with fixed sights and 5 mags for $650, and a regular matte blue MkIII for the same price across town. I was going to get one of the Coles guns off of gunbroker, but spent my wad on a 1911 instead:happy: In thinking it over and the refinishing that I would have to do, the used local guns seem to win out over the war horses coming in from Israel.

Not too much experience with the alloy hi power. I'm curious to how much weight they save. I feel that the alloy framed 1911 is a big difference over a steel 1911, but that is just me. I know that a lot of guys like to use the alloy HP as the base gun of a custom from Novak, C&S, etc. Some even break up two guns and use the top end off of the Argentinian "Detective" hi power (think commander sized BHP) to make a neat carry gun.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of the BHP and glad to see it discussed here. Quite easily my favorite metal pistol, even ahead of the 1911.