PDA

View Full Version : TR Graham Match Grade Slide Lock (for Glock)

tinkerer
09-10-13, 18:35
Are there any reports, reviews, or impressions on the Match Grade Slide Lock by TR Graham?

It seems he stopped production last year because the Slide Lock was causing chipping on barrels. He has restarted production with a newer variant; however I cannot find any information on whether this newer variant is as good/reliable as the old and what type of reliability in general to expect from this part. Is the increase in accuracy worth the reliability risk that going to an aftermarket part like this entails? Thanks.

Kilo 1-1
09-11-13, 02:07
In short, no.

Definitely not worth putting into Duty/HD guns.

And for competition guns, I don't know of anyone shooting limited or open division Glock guns with aftermarket slide locks.

Psalms144.1
09-11-13, 09:57
I tried one of the original versions. Turned a PERFECTLY reliable 2005ish 3rd Gen G19 into a malfunction clearnace training device instantly. When the pistol shot, I did not see any appreciable increase in accuracy. Took it out, gun went back to being perfectly reliable, accuracy didn't suffer.

Interestingly, it was this "improvement" that taught me the mantra to just stick with OEM for Glock parts (less night sights, of course). At this point, the only non-stock part on any of my Glocks is a Vickers' mag release and some Vickers' baseplates on my G23 mags to make them easy to distinguish by feel from G19 mags. If I was seriously looking for a way to make my G19 more accurate, I would invest in a quality barrel, and send it off to someone competent to install.

Regards,

Kevin

newyork
09-11-13, 11:28
Match grade slide lock just sounds ridiculous to me.

tinkerer
09-11-13, 11:49
I tried one of the original versions. Turned a PERFECTLY reliable 2005ish 3rd Gen G19 into a malfunction clearnace training device instantly. When the pistol shot, I did not see any appreciable increase in accuracy. Took it out, gun went back to being perfectly reliable, accuracy didn't suffer.

Interestingly, it was this "improvement" that taught me the mantra to just stick with OEM for Glock parts (less night sights, of course). At this point, the only non-stock part on any of my Glocks is a Vickers' mag release and some Vickers' baseplates on my G23 mags to make them easy to distinguish by feel from G19 mags. If I was seriously looking for a way to make my G19 more accurate, I would invest in a quality barrel, and send it off to someone competent to install.

Regards,

Kevin

Thank you. Will stay clear.

theblackknight
09-11-13, 12:50
Of all the part to change on a g-lock, why .......

tinkerer
09-11-13, 13:10
Of all the part to change on a g-lock, why .......

It has been suggested here, and elsewhere, that this part will help increase accuracy in a Glock. The "concept" behind it, as I understand, is that the barrel will lock up tighter with this part. Thus the "cone" of fire will be smaller because the barrel has less slop and movement. Plenty of people seemed happy with the old version. Not much information with the new. In general I was weary of replacing a Glock OEM part, so I wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion of the part.

dewatters
09-11-13, 14:16
I'm still surprised that no one has offered an aftermarket locking block for use with standard Glock barrels.

Magsz
09-11-13, 23:12
It has been suggested here, and elsewhere, that this part will help increase accuracy in a Glock. The "concept" behind it, as I understand, is that the barrel will lock up tighter with this part. Thus the "cone" of fire will be smaller because the barrel has less slop and movement. Plenty of people seemed happy with the old version. Not much information with the new. In general I was weary of replacing a Glock OEM part, so I wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion of the part.

Why not just fit a barrel? A properly fit barrel is fitted in three places on a Glock, all of which improve lockup about as good as you can make it...

thopkins22
09-11-13, 23:23
TR is an awesome guy, very nice, and very knowledgeable about Glocks.

He built this part for guys that wanted to shoot bullseye competitions with Glocks. It's not a part for action shooting and certainly not designed to stake your life on, and I'm confident that he would say the same.

In his video "Making Glocks Rock" when discussing his own damn part as well as fitting barrels to Glocks, he states
"But always remember, the tighter your tolerances are in any firearm, the more chance there is that the gun will malfunction. So pick and choose carefully, especially if you're going to use the pistol as a personal defense or duty gun."

ETA: So in case I wasn't clear...leave it the hell alone. Get a qualified gunsmith to fit a barrel for you if you can actually quantify any lost accuracy.

theblackknight
09-12-13, 01:15
I'm still surprised that no one has offered an aftermarket locking block for use with standard Glock barrels.

Quick, grab some a2 stock and a cnc. I'll order the cocaine.

Also:needs "combat" in the name.

glocktogo
09-12-13, 07:53

This is a P.T. Barnum device. Seriously. I will tell you this, a properly fitted match grade barrel such as the Bar-Sto will make the Glock significantly more accurate and reliability with in spec ammo will be unchanged. I regularly go 700-800 rouds between cleaning on mine, I just add lube. Due to the tighter lockup it also takes some of the mush out of the trigger because the slide doesn't dip down on the frame rails at the rear as much during the trigger pull.

JimmyB62
09-12-13, 12:09
He built this part for guys that wanted to shoot bullseye competitions with Glocks.

That must be a mighty small market. I've been shooting bullseye a long time and have yet to see a Glock in competition.

dewatters
09-12-13, 13:22
That must be a mighty small market. I've been shooting bullseye a long time and have yet to see a Glock in competition.

I can imagine a masochist trying to use a Glock in PPC Distinguished Pistol before Bullseye.

thopkins22
09-12-13, 13:55

I'm sure it is. Like I said, parts like this(and for that matter bullseye stuff in general) make me cringe.

I imagine far more people are using it that have no idea what they're doing and just want to stick parts on the gun...but I'm just relaying it as I heard TR say it.

Magic_Salad0892
09-12-13, 22:33
I used three of them with success. They're not on my carry pistol.

They did improve accuracy. For me. No issues were caused.

Are there any carbon steel match barrels for Glocks?

glocktogo
09-12-13, 23:32
I used three of them with success. They're not on my carry pistol.

They did improve accuracy. For me. No issues were caused.

Is there a market for a carbon steel match barrel?

Magic_Salad0892
09-13-13, 03:39
Is there a market for a carbon steel match barrel?

I prefer carbon steel over stainless because it accepts Nitride treatments way better from what I understand. In general, everything I've learned about different steels makes me prefer high carbon content steels over SS.

Straight Shooter
09-13-13, 05:07
Ive had one on my 2005 G21 for about 4 years now, MANY thousands of rounds downrange, NO reliability issues at all, and IMO, the gun is more accurate now than before.
But...that's my opinion.

SPDGG
09-13-13, 12:46
^ This has been mentioned for a several years here/there. I was also going to get one machined out for the "hack" of it, $#!ts & giggles years back, BUT gots reality smacked = still a factory barrel . . . . All the effort of "putting lipstick on a pig": blocks, welding up the stock, this/that, spec differences are wasted time imho.

If your going to do anything, do it right.
Better off buying an Oversized "Fitment needed" Quality Match Barrel = Bar-Sto; KKM; Storm-Lake; etc. & Have it fit properly. Solves most all "wants" in one part instead of maybe one to two with the above mentioned.

This is a P.T. Barnum device. Seriously. I will tell you this, a properly fitted match grade barrel such as the Bar-Sto will make the Glock significantly more accurate and reliability with in spec ammo will be unchanged. I regularly go 700-800 rouds between cleaning on mine, I just add lube. Due to the tighter lockup it also takes some of the mush out of the trigger because the slide doesn't dip down on the frame rails at the rear as much during the trigger pull.
+1 Agree, This

^ I wish there was an option, say: KART . . . . please:D

* No issues with any SS Match Fitted barrels I have, but if KART offered a carbon replacement with good specs: Hood/Lug/Chamber/Bore, I'm buying :)

theblackknight
09-13-13, 13:28
This is a member's pic. I've yet to group my 17, but I'll take that with a stock barrel and save money for ammo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7782223568/in/photostream/

SPDGG
09-13-13, 13:30
This is a member's pic. I've yet to group my 17, but I'll take that with a stock barrel and save money for ammo.

+1 Agree with ^ . . . Wish they all shot like that

jmlshooter
09-13-13, 20:44
It works.

It worked so well on my 19 that they're on all my Glocks. No reliability issues for me.

It works.

Fire
09-14-13, 01:50
Are there any reports, reviews, or impressions on the Match Grade Slide Lock by TR Graham?

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59278

vigilant2
09-14-13, 04:33
It works.

It worked so well on my 19 that they're on all my Glocks. No reliability issues for me.

It works.

I have to echo this, I tried the new version , no reliability problems thus far ( I shoot 250 to 900 rnds per week). Small but noticeable improvement in accuracy, not Bar Sto territory but there non the less.
Its on most of my glocks now.

tinkerer
09-14-13, 18:12
So some people are recommending the part, while others say stay away...

Interesting. Might buy the part and see if what kind of accuracy it can provide. Worst comes to worst I toss the Glock OEM part back in.

Voodoo_Man
03-08-14, 18:30
I think I'm gana order one...

hatidua
03-08-14, 21:26

Voodoo_Man
03-13-14, 17:27
http://i.imgur.com/SBDjcL6.jpg

C4IGrant
03-13-14, 17:29
http://i.imgur.com/SBDjcL6.jpg

Well, what do ya think?

C4

Voodoo_Man
03-13-14, 17:33
Well, what do ya think?

C4

Both are thicker, I understand why they would do what they do.

I am going to put a few hundred rounds in each and see what happens.

Since I shoot 25y on the regular I will see if there is an improvement - while right away there should not be, since I have read these things require a break in period.

okie john
03-13-14, 21:36

Hmmm. Wonder if that pistol shoots that way all the time or if he just got lucky...

Better ammo is the fastest was to improve Glock accuracy. But accuracy adds up--shooting better ammo through a better barrel will give better results than just a better barrel or just better ammo.

Okie John