PDA

View Full Version : FNH FNS 9 Review

plouffedaddy
09-11-13, 20:15
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3747/picture20q.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9498/jmcd.jpg

I've had the FNS since last November of last year and have been putting a good bit of rounds through it to date and here's what I've found.

Pros:
-100% reliable thus far
-Comes with 3x 17 round magazines
-I like the night sights with the wide "u" notch rear
-It's more accurate than I am
-Reasonably priced vs. its' competitors
-Low bore axis
-Cold hammer forged barrel
-Standard 1913 rail
-Ambi mag release and slide lock
-Great ergos
-Forward and rear cocking serrations
-Ease of maintenance
-Comes with interchangeable flat and arched backstraps
-Extractor doubles as a loaded chamber indicator like a Glock

Cons:
-I think the trigger's a little heavy (breaks between 6-7 pounds)
-FN seems to have fixed the initial trigger locking issues but the gun took a hit to its' reputation when it was released from this for sure
-The standard model has an external safety. The LE restricted model doesn't. I'd like to see them offer both to everyone as many folks do not want an external safety.
-Aftermarket magazine availability is an issue compared to its' competitors

Here's a video with a little shooting, a demonstration of how to break the gun down, a size comparison with a G17/1911 for those unfamiliar with it, and a discussion of the features of the gun:

FNS 9mm HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXm9rZa3XQU)

ericl
09-12-13, 06:33
Good to see someone with a long term eval of the FNS. What type of accuracy are you seeing (at 10, 15, 25 yds)? Also, the external safety isn't a total turnoff to me. Not that I see a need; however, not a deal breaker either way. I would like to see the safety be a bit bigger so one can positively disengage it. Have you seen any issues with this? Trouble disengaging with sweaty hands? While wearing gloves? Are you able to "ride" the safety like that of a 1911 when firing or do you find it so small that the shooting thumb comes off of it during recoil?

BBS
09-12-13, 07:47
Great videos as always mr gng

Briman1001
09-12-13, 12:50
To expound upon this I would like to add that the backstraps change the feel of the pistol considerably. One of them makes it ride like a 1911 in my hand and the other feels "normal".

Would also like to add that the stipling or grip texturing is very aggresive. I love it because you can get an excellent grip even wet, but it may not be for everyone. After 200 rounds you will probably have some hot spots on your hands.

I only have about 400 rounds through mine, but also flawless reliability.

VIP3R 237
09-12-13, 13:12
Great review as always.

My FNS 40 has been stellar through about 1500 rounds. Mine seems to have less recoil than most other 40 designs out there, in fact when one of my co workers who shoots Glock 9's exclusively shot my FNS he was surprised at the lack of recoil and asked if it was a 9.

plouffedaddy
09-13-13, 06:18
Great review as always.

My FNS 40 has been stellar through about 1500 rounds. Mine seems to have less recoil than most other 40 designs out there, in fact when one of my co workers who shoots Glock 9's exclusively shot my FNS he was surprised at the lack of recoil and asked if it was a 9.

Agreed. The low bore axis is great. My wife likes likes how soft it shoots in 9mm as well.

Cmm46
09-13-13, 09:52
Excellent review. None of my guns are 9mm and I've been looking at the FNS 9 to be my first.

okie john
09-13-13, 14:31
I test-fired one of these briefly a few weeks ago. Very impressive piece of kit, but the trigger pull could be lighter. I'd bet that spring kits are just a few months away...

Okie John

theblackknight
09-13-13, 17:40
With my hands and a high proper grip, when I push the ambi safety, it hits on the finger on the other side and mag dosent drop. No thanks.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/3y2ydy2e.jpg

sent from mah gun,using my sights

toddzilla36
09-19-13, 08:52
Nice review, have you had any trouble with the slide not locking back on the last round? I've had it happen with four different magazines, four different ammo types (all factory), and four different grips. Very random and just when I think it is not going to happen again it crops back up again.

Guess I need to find a gunsmith and see if something needs adjusting, but just wondering about your thoughts.

Apricotshot
09-19-13, 09:06
My FNS9 locks back everytime.

Pilot1
09-19-13, 09:35
Nice review as usual. These guns intrigue me, but I just don't need another semi compact 9MM right now.

plouffedaddy
09-19-13, 11:04
Mine locks back every time. Have you tried it while deliberately keeping your thumb from the slide lock?

djegators
09-19-13, 19:43
I've had my FNS 9 for quite sometime, and I remain impressed. Surprised these are not more popular.

PS: never had an issue with lock back.

Ark1443
09-19-13, 22:18
Would you prefer a FNS9 over a FNX9? If so, why? I've been eyeballing a FNX9 for a while locally but just haven't brought myself to take the plunge.

m1a_scoutguy
09-19-13, 23:53
Good review !! Don't know what the heck I have been up to,,I just saw this !! I have had a FNS 9 since early Summer & love it !!! I am fast approaching my first 1k rds through it. Gun has been great,,like stated,,very accurate & reliable !! I have a total of 5 FN mags and rotate them equally. I have had a few issues,,but I say its ammo related,,everything I shoot are reloads from a Dillon 650,,mixed brass,lead bullets. It is very accurate with my loads,,but get a bad piece of brass now & then,,but over all,,the pistol has been great !! I agree Mags are a WTF issue,,how can any manufacture,,put out pistols and NOT make 3 times as many mags as they do pistols,,come on guys !!! ;) I can live with there price,,$40 plus,,but ya gotta find them to buy them !! Anyways,,,its my main pistol for now,,giving my 1911s a rest for awhile,,,LOL I need a good holster for it & will be getting one in the next few weeks,,,there are some decent choices out there. Well,,I'll keep tabs on this thread and report anything out of the ordinary if it comes up,,but so far,,,its all good !!!

BoringGuy45
09-20-13, 00:17
It's got a nice feel to it. Honestly though, the safety is about as uncomfortable and difficult to use as a Hi-Point safety. Considering that it already has the standard striker fired trigger safety, I don't think I would ever feel the need to have it engaged if I carried the FNS. The nice thing is that it's small enough that it can be ignored (unlike, say, the M&P's thumb safety).

Also, the trigger is a bit heavy and is not as crisp as it could be. However, I've only handled it brand new and not with any number of rounds through it. If this gun gets really popular, I'm sure we'll see something from Apex or someone for it.

All in all, it's a nice addition to the market.

m1a_scoutguy
09-20-13, 00:32
It's got a nice feel to it. Honestly though, the safety is about as uncomfortable and difficult to use as a Hi-Point safety. Considering that it already has the standard striker fired trigger safety, I don't think I would ever feel the need to have it engaged if I carried the FNS. The nice thing is that it's small enough that it can be ignored (unlike, say, the M&P's thumb safety).

Also, the trigger is a bit heavy and is not as crisp as it could be. However, I've only handled it brand new and not with any number of rounds through it. If this gun gets really popular, I'm sure we'll see something from Apex or someone for it.

All in all, it's a nice addition to the market.

Yea,,I hear ya on the Safety,,but being a 1911 guy,,its pretty second nature for me to flick it off,,,but I have been leaving it Off at times depending on what I'm doing !! My trigger is getting better for sure,so that good !! I saw/read something on here about Apex "maybe" doing something for the FNS line,,so we will hope and see I guess !!!

theblackknight
09-20-13, 01:15
Grip and thumb safeties on safe action guns is like the male nipple. Yeah you can play with it and all, but it ultimately not needed.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-20-13, 07:20
Count me into the "wish it came without a manual safety for us civilians" group.

rauchman
09-20-13, 09:59
Grip and thumb safeties on safe action guns is like the male nipple. Yeah you can play with it and all, but it ultimately not needed.

Sigline material :lol:

m1a_scoutguy
09-20-13, 10:19

Count me into the "wish it came without a manual safety for us civilians" group.

Yea,,guys,,I agree,,but it wasn't a deal stopper for me. I have used this pistol for quite a few IDPA/USPSA matches and just leave it off and haven't had any issues,,last week I was working with some "New" shooters and letting them try some of my different pistols and I was making sure it was engaged then,,its just one of those things I guess.

Gramaton550
09-20-13, 10:47
Love my FNS:thumbup: I started with a 5.7, and since the price of ammo for that gun is rediculous I decided to go for a 9mm FN product, and I haven't been disappointed. I've been an FN fan since my Army days, and it's true this pistol, and brand doesn't get recognized as much as it should. Love this gun!!!

Prior Planning Prevents**** Poor Performance.

toddzilla36
09-20-13, 20:05
Thanks for the reply, yep tried several grips even the thumb under revolver. Guess I'll just keep shooting the hound out of it until I figure it out.:D

Ranger45
09-21-13, 08:56
Thanks for another outstanding review!

BrigandTwoFour
09-21-13, 10:55
Here's a pic of mine

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yg8JSAfnFFY/UKUMrdYucUI/AAAAAAAAAvE/zHqcrngShPs/w908-h664-no/IMG_0307.JPG

I do have one of the earlier ones. I'm currently TDY, but I believe I've logged between 1500 and 2000 rounds through it, zero malfunctions.

I can induce the "slide lock," but the circumstances for doing so would never happen in the real world. The only way to do it is to unload the weapon, squeeze the trigger, and then push the trigger forward all the way. This prevents the slide from being pulled back. The only way to fix this is to pull the trigger back to its normal uncocked setting. Obviously, this only matters for storage. If the gun is chambered, then the sear is cocked and I cannot induce slide lock.

In any case, it's been a fantastic pistol. I do have some issues transitioning back and forth between my Beretta 92A1 and the FNS because of differences in the required sight picture. But nothing that a few magazines doesn't shake out.

I also really like the FNX series, and I fully plan on getting a FNX-45 once I move back to a free state.

Cmm46
09-21-13, 14:34
I went to the gun store yesterday to try to finger bang one of these and they had sold them all. Everyone is buying everything up here in MD before the new laws take affect Oct 1.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-22-13, 09:13
I fondled one at Fred Meyer last night and have to say that it felt really good in the hands, very solidly built like everything else from FN, trigger seemed too heavy for a striker fired gun with a manual safety but I digress. It was selling for $640, not sure if that's a good deal or not.

BrigandTwoFour
09-22-13, 09:50
I fondled one at Fred Meyer last night and have to say that it felt really good in the hands, very solidly built like everything else from FN, trigger seemed too heavy for a striker fired gun with a manual safety but I digress. It was selling for $640, not sure if that's a good deal or not.

I think I paid about $600 when they first came out. The trigger does smooth out and lighten up over time, and putting some lube in the right spots.

KalashniKEV
09-22-13, 12:03
I think I paid about $600 when they first came out. The trigger does smooth out and lighten up over time, and putting some lube in the right spots.

Mine is an early one, with a fiber optic FS. The trigger did not smooth out to what I felt at the FN booth recently, so I'm thinking they revised the components.

It's still 100% and I really like it though:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/IMAG0068_zpsbdd926bc.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Pistols/IMAG0068_zpsbdd926bc.jpg.html)

Sikiguya
09-22-13, 12:33
Just picked up my FN FNS. Given what I read on the internet, resigned to this being a 3 mag gun. Then I went to my first gun show since last year...found 2 nib fns mags. Offered $55 for both and took them home. Yah me!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Apricotshot
09-23-13, 07:44
I just finished taking a Handgun Refesher Course with Randy Cain. I used my FNS9. We fired about 500 rounds in one day. Pistol functioned 100% and was very accurate, despite me behind the gun.

Apricotshot
09-30-13, 12:26

Your wish has been granted. Saw this yesterday at the shop.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac333/fontanillshj/photo2.jpg

okie john
09-30-13, 12:28
Your wish has been granted. Saw this yesterday at the shop.

I was really hoping this would be a shot of the 5" guns...

Okie John

Apricotshot
09-30-13, 14:54

Okie John

I'll keep an eye out.

Jumper
09-30-13, 18:53

Okie John

When I get the chance I`ll post a pic of my new gun, it will take care of your request.....:D

Jumper
09-30-13, 20:00
FNS 40 LS

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/giddswat/FNSLS002_zps94d67459.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/giddswat/FNSLS019_zpsee1aceef.jpg

Apricotshot
10-01-13, 07:10
Nice.

Pierced Armor
10-01-13, 07:29
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share.

I agree, FN should be more civilian friendly with their offerings.

PA

toddzilla36
10-01-13, 07:49
Alright Jumper, now you are just showing off. :)

I'm checking OMB daily for these guns and nothing yet.

Jumper
10-01-13, 08:05
Alright Jumper, now you are just showing off. :)

Just a little bit!

I'm checking OMB daily for these guns and nothing yet.

It should not be long before they hit the stores. I have a lot of rounds through this gun and it has been 100% reliable and is a tack driver.