PDA

View Full Version : PPQ m2 mag release issue

Phillygunguy
09-12-13, 15:53
Just want some feedback, I shot my PPQ M2 Yesterday I took my friend with me, who's a petite female 5 foot, so I switched to the small backstrap making it easier for her to use When I shot it I didn't have issues till I shot a box of Speer gold dot. I had 3 instances where the mag fell out while shooting. I didn't have this issue with other ammo and neither did she. I figured my support hand was positioned in a way that what hitting the mag release, I even shot it strong hand only and worked fine. I swapped out the backstrap before going to the range and didn't have the others with me to replace. I am wondering if it was just the smaller backstrap forcing my support hand to hit the mag release ? Or is it something more? Anyone have any similar issues ?

whiterabbit05
09-12-13, 16:52
I have handled the PPQ M2 and the mag release button is very easily actuated, especially if trying to shoot one-handed. Reason why I will stick to the M1.

I'm sure this is what you are doing; hitting the mag release with the thinner back strap.

Hmac
09-12-13, 16:55
My guess is backstrap. On my PPQ, I found the smaller backstrap to be significantly the most comfortable, but there was no question that I shot it much better, faster and more accurately, with the medium backstrap. I think the backstrap changes the ergonomics of the pistol much more than one would think.

Phillygunguy
09-12-13, 17:27
Thanks for the input, that's kinda what I thought but it's still a new design sort of so I figured a few bugs may need to be worked out as with any new pistol. But this will probably replace my glock as my EDC This gun is accurate as all Hell and I love shooting it more and more each time

Phillygunguy
09-12-13, 17:56
Hmac, what sights are you running on your PPQ ? I'd like to get DP but they don't have then in stock was looking at trijicons

Hmac
09-12-13, 21:22
Hmac, what sights are you running on your PPQ ? I'd like to get DP but they don't have then in stock was looking at trijicons

I'm using DP...the charger rear and fiber optic front. I also have their tritium front sight that I haven't tried yet. Very pleased with the sights, but the fiberoptic front doesn't light up well for me at the indoor range where I shoot given the lighting. Someone here on M4C posted their experience with 10-8 sights on the PPQ and was quite enthusiastic with their brass-insert front.

HES
09-12-13, 22:19
I've got about 1.5k rounds through mine now and haven't experienced any problems. When firing my thumb doesn't even come close to the button release as I recall.

Phillygunguy
09-12-13, 23:43
I'm using DP...the charger rear and fiber optic front. I also have their tritium front sight that I haven't tried yet. Very pleased with the sights, but the fiberoptic front doesn't light up well for me at the indoor range where I shoot given the lighting. Someone here on M4C posted their experience with 10-8 sights on the PPQ and was quite enthusiastic with their brass-insert front.

cool I dont think ill go with the fiber optic as I heard they can break, Ill check the 10-8 sights though

Phillygunguy
09-12-13, 23:49
I've got about 1.5k rounds through mine now and haven't experienced any problems. When firing my thumb doesn't even come close to the button release as I recall.

I think I may be gripping it tighter with the smaller grip causing the mag to release So ill stick to the medium backstrap

HES
09-13-13, 21:24
I think I may be gripping it tighter with the smaller grip causing the mag to release So ill stick to the medium backstrap
Can you have someone take a picture of your grip. I just checked mine and my thumbs arent coming anywhere near the button release. Also I've heard good things about the 10-8s on the PPQ, but IIRC they are not in production yet. It was only a test for one user AFAIK. Check out the Walther Forums for more. Also thought I heard that Ameriglo is toying with the idea of making sights for the PPQ again

Phillygunguy
09-14-13, 12:48
Can you have someone take a picture of your grip. I just checked mine and my thumbs arent coming anywhere near the button release. Also I've heard good things about the 10-8s on the PPQ, but IIRC they are not in production yet. It was only a test for one user AFAIK. Check out the Walther Forums for more. Also thought I heard that Ameriglo is toying with the idea of making sights for the PPQ again
I'll see if I can get a picture next time I go to the range. Its not my thumb but my muscle of the thumb maybe I'm not explaining it right. FWIW I swapped out the small for medium and shot 150 rds yesterday without issues mag stayed in place. As far as sights I ordered a tritium front sight from Dawson they had like 2 in stock so I was real lucky

Phillygunguy
09-17-13, 14:49
deleted

Phillygunguy
09-17-13, 14:56
deleted

Fishbed77
09-17-13, 23:30
Walther should have never switched from the superior paddle release of the P99/PPQ M1.

Hmac
09-18-13, 04:04
Walther should have never switched from the superior paddle release of the P99/PPQ M1.

Walther Arms (sole US importer) has a rather poorly thought-out marketing strategy. I don't think one mag release is superior to the other, but they had a pistol that was selling well and getting increasing buzz, and they ditched it thereby alienating their existing base. I think their reasons for offering a button release in the US market are sound, but their timing and method were both bad. I have a PPQ with 18 hard-won magazines. Now, my only option for a follow-on piece is to wait for them to re-introduce the original-version PPQ. Stupid.

Fishbed77
09-18-13, 07:25
I have a PPQ with 18 hard-won magazines. Now, my only option for a follow-on piece is to wait for them to re-introduce the original-version PPQ. Stupid.

Well, you could always pick up a Walther P99AS, which can use the same mags as the 1st gen PPQ.

I have one, and in several ways I find it superior to the PPQ. It's Anti-Stress trigger may be the best DA/SA trigger out there. Certainly the best of all the polymer pistols. Trigger reset is the same as the PPQ, and the single action feel is even smoother and crisper than the PPQ.

Hmac
09-18-13, 10:18
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really interested in DA/SA. I would like to have another PPQ and a PPQ compact. No, I don't want the P99cAS either. I don't care what magazines or magazine release the PPQc uses, but I have no intention of starting over acquiring $50, impossible-to-find magazines for a different iteration of the PPQ.

Right now, it's the PPQ that has the juice. I applaud Walther bringing out a new version, but in the USA, where Walther Arms is located, they should have followed with the compact version, not the longer one. Another mis-read of the US market IMHO.

Reportedly, PPQ's will be imported again. I'll wait. I'll wait for the PPQc too.

Fishbed77
09-18-13, 10:40
I have no intention of starting over acquiring $50, impossible-to-find magazines for a different iteration of the PPQ.

Right now, it's the PPQ that has the juice. I applaud Walther bringing out a new version, but in the USA, where Walther Arms is located, they should have followed with the compact version, not the longer one. Another mis-read of the US market IMHO.

Reportedly, PPQ's will be imported again. I'll wait. I'll wait for the PPQc too.

Not sure if you were aware of this, but 1st gen PPQ mags can be had for under $25 (and could be backordered with a very short wait all through the panic):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598943/magnum-research-magazine-mr9-eagle-fast-action-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-black

These Mec-Gar manufactured magazines marketed for the Magnum Research MR9 (a P99 clone) are 100% identical to 1st-gen PPQ (and P99) mags (whose Walther-branded OEM mags are also produced by Mec-Gar), aside from the name stamped on the plastic baseplate and color of the follower. You can read more about them if you wish at waltherforums.com.

I have a number of these mags, and they are flawless. There is no need to spend outrageous Walther prices when the exact same product is available for half the price.

I agree that a compact PPQ (preferably with paddle mag release) should be Walther's top priority with respect to new models.

Phillygunguy
09-18-13, 22:15

There's nothing wrong with the mag release on the frame.
I might have bought one with a paddle release but there was damn near no PPQ's period and I lucked out finding a rare gun ( at the time ) and during the dry spell we had during the panic buying

Hmac
09-18-13, 22:49
Not sure if you were aware of this, but 1st gen PPQ mags can be had for under $25 (and could be backordered with a very short wait all through the panic):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598943/magnum-research-magazine-mr9-eagle-fast-action-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-black

These Mec-Gar manufactured magazines marketed for the Magnum Research MR9 (a P99 clone) are 100% identical to 1st-gen PPQ (and P99) mags (whose Walther-branded OEM mags are also produced by Mec-Gar), aside from the name stamped on the plastic baseplate and color of the follower. You can read more about them if you wish at waltherforums.com.

I have a number of these mags, and they are flawless. There is no need to spend outrageous Walther prices when the exact same product is available for half the price.

I agree that a compact PPQ (preferably with paddle mag release) should be Walther's top priority with respect to new models.

Yes, yes. Thanks but that's all old news. About half my magazines are MRs. No reason to go Walther, I agree. Back order wait times from Midway around the first of the year were running closer to 3 months for MR mags. I had better luck directly from MR.

Fishbed77
09-18-13, 23:26
Yes, yes. Thanks but that's all old news.

Just trying to help. You were complaining about $50 mags.

jerrysimons
09-19-13, 10:11

I have 4 MR mags for my PPQ they feed flawlessly but I will note that they are much harder the seat on a forward slide than the 3 Walther mags I have. The MR mags seat as well downloaded 1rd as the Walther mags do fully loaded.
I too would be interested a PPQc, preferably with the paddle release.

I am not against Walther bring a thumb button mag release to the market, their timing sucked but the concept is sound as long as they still make the paddle release. I am not sure I like their execution of it though. When I handled one at the gun store, the first thing I noticed was how easy the button depressed and how much it protruded, allowing for accidental activation. It is a training issue I know, but still it was way easier to accidentally depress that an M&P or Glock.

Hmac
09-19-13, 10:23
I have 4 MR mags for my PPQ they feed flawlessly but I will note that they are much harder the seat on a forward slide than the 3 Walther mags I have. The MR mags seat as well downloaded 1rd as the Walther mags do fully loaded.
I too would be interested a PPQc, preferably with the paddle release.

I have 8-10 MR mags. In my experience, all have functioned indistinguishably from the 8-10 Walther mags that I have, including use in a couple of contests and high round-count courses.

I'd buy a PPQc in a heartbeat no matter what kind of mag release it uses, although I too would prefer the paddle release.