PDA

View Full Version : Taking Cash to the Gun Show?

Submariner
08-26-06, 13:45
Federal Appeals Court: Driving With Money is a Crime

Eighth Circuit Appeals Court ruling says police may seize cash from motorists even in the absence of any evidence that a crime has been committed.

A federal appeals court ruled yesterday that if a motorist is carrying large sums of money, it is automatically subject to confiscation. In the case entitled, "United States of America v. $124,700 in U.S. Currency," the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit took that amount of cash away from Emiliano Gomez Gonzolez, a man with a "lack of significant criminal history" neither accused nor convicted of any crime.

On May 28, 2003, a Nebraska state trooper signaled Gonzolez to pull over his rented Ford Taurus on Interstate 80. The trooper intended to issue a speeding ticket, but noticed the Gonzolez's name was not on the rental contract. The trooper then proceeded to question Gonzolez -- who did not speak English well -- and search the car. The trooper found a cooler containing $124,700 in cash, which he confiscated. A trained drug sniffing dog barked at the rental car and the cash. For the police, this was all the evidence needed to establish a drug crime that allows the force to keep the seized money.

Associates of Gonzolez testified in court that they had pooled their life savings to purchase a refrigerated truck to start a produce business. Gonzolez flew on a one-way ticket to Chicago to buy a truck, but it had sold by the time he had arrived. Without a credit card of his own, he had a third-party rent one for him. Gonzolez hid the money in a cooler to keep it from being noticed and stolen. He was scared when the troopers began questioning him about it. There was no evidence disputing Gonzolez's story.

Yesterday the Eighth Circuit summarily dismissed Gonzolez's story. It overturned a lower court ruling that had found no evidence of drug activity, stating, "We respectfully disagree and reach a different conclusion... Possession of a large sum of cash is 'strong evidence' of a connection to drug activity."

Judge Donald Lay found the majority's reasoning faulty and issued a strong dissent.

"Notwithstanding the fact that claimants seemingly suspicious activities were reasoned away with plausible, and thus presumptively trustworthy, explanations which the government failed to contradict or rebut, I note that no drugs, drug paraphernalia, or drug records were recovered in connection with the seized money," Judge Lay wrote. "There is no evidence claimants were ever convicted of any drug-related crime, nor is there any indication the manner in which the currency was bundled was indicative of drug use or distribution."

"Finally, the mere fact that the canine alerted officers to the presence of drug residue in a rental [emphasis in original] car, no doubt driven by dozens, perhaps scores, of patrons during the course of a given year, coupled with the fact that the alert came from the same location where the currency was discovered, does little to connect the money to a controlled substance offense," Judge Lay Concluded.

The full text of the ruling is available in a 36k PDF file at the source link below.

Source: US v. $124,700 (US Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 8/19/2006) (http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2006/moneyseize.pdf)

Nitrox
08-26-06, 13:55
But if they returned the money they wouldn't be able to keep it. :rolleyes:

QuietShootr
08-26-06, 13:59

JLM
08-27-06, 13:41
I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked :rolleyes:

Paul, don't you know you are supposed to carry your biometric credit card?

Seriously thou, this is FUBAR. The State should have to meet the burden of proof
that money/assets are involved in criminal activity before grabbing people's coin.

QuietShootr
08-27-06, 18:21
Why did someone edit my post? This is the second time my shit has been ****ed with on here with no explanation. If one of the staff members has a personal problem with me, how about letting me know who and what it is.

RyanB
08-27-06, 19:27
Unbelievable. I'm so angry right now I probably shouldn't say what I am thinking.

Boom
08-27-06, 19:37
Why did someone edit my post? This is the second time my shit has been ****ed with on here with no explanation. If one of the staff members has a personal problem with me, how about letting me know who and what it is.

I don't know who it is, but if your are posting like that, I can understand why.

QuietShootr
08-27-06, 19:42
Posting like what?

Thors ~ Hammer
08-27-06, 20:29

Watch the foul comments, I'll look into it for you.

persona non grata
08-27-06, 22:24
At least the judges & the troopers all went home safely.

DrMark
08-28-06, 11:08
That ruling does seem unjustifiable.

atrum
08-29-06, 14:35
:mad: thats bullshit...

SinnFéinM1911
08-29-06, 14:44
:mad: thats bullshit...

What happened ?

CoastieN70
08-29-06, 18:50
So, why didn't he fly home? I would have to guess that there is a whole lot more to this than what is being reported...

Hydguy
08-30-06, 00:56
I love how they name the case: United States of America v. $124,700

SO, did the officers read the money it's rights? Did they give it a court appointed attorney?

WHat were the exact charges against the money? Was it acting in a suspicious manner? Did it fail a FST?

What total bullshit. All thanks to the war on SOME drugs...:rolleyes:

TigerStripe
08-30-06, 02:35
Unbelievable...

TS

Submariner
08-30-06, 08:29
I love how they name the case: United States of America v. $124,700

SO, did the officers read the money it's rights? Did they give it a court appointed attorney?

WHat were the exact charges against the money? Was it acting in a suspicious manner? Did it fail a FST?

What total bullshit. All thanks to the war on SOME drugs...:rolleyes:

Money is not a person with rights. Nevertheless, one might think it would be protected from unreasonable search and seizure because it is the "effects" of a person (one of the "people") with that right. WRONG-O!:mad:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Fourth Amendment, US Constitution

I know, it's reasonable for the State to take the money. Mao had it right, "Power comes out of the barrel of a gun." For this I went to law school?:confused:

Hydguy
08-30-06, 15:10
Money is not a person with rights. Nevertheless, one might think it would be protected from unreasonable search and seizure because it is the "effects" of a person (one of the "people") with that right. WRONG-O!:mad:

I know, it's reasonable for the State to take the money. Mao had it right, "Power comes out of the barrel of a gun." For this I went to law school?:confused:

Of course money isn't a person, and because of that, the government cannot really bring charges against it. Inanimate objects are not capable of committing crimes, but thanks to seizure laws, the gov't can now charge the property with a crime.

If someone gets charged with a crime, they have certain rights, and it should stand that if property is being charged with a crime, it should be entitled to the same benifits as people charged with a crime.

HALO 20
08-30-06, 15:41
i do not like that at all. not one bit:mad: