PDA

View Full Version : Glock problem help

Stubby
09-14-13, 19:20
Just purchesed a glock 17 gen 4 last week and took it out to shoot today, when I set up to shoot I did my normal trigger pull, slow, consistent to the breaking point and lone behold it shot 3 bullets out on one trigger pull, thinking maybe I was hasty with the trigger and accidentally bump fired it I repeatedly tried again, with the slow pull it did it every time, several magazines later I figured out that if I quickly jerk the trigger "improper I know" it will only fire once.. I'm at a loss here, I myself shot it, my father and a family friend who is a LEO shot it with the same results, I plan on calling glock this Monday to sort it out, has anyone else had this problem? And no it isn't over lubed and has no aftermarket modifications done to it. :help: :help:

Psalms144.1
09-14-13, 20:35
That's DEFINITELY in the "bad thing" category, and you need to send it back to Glock ASAP. Do NOT let them talk you into you paying for the shipping - not on an issue like this.

I'm going to assume you didn't do the ".25 cent" trigger job - I've seen people over polish parts to the point where metal was removed, sear engagement was out of spec, and the pistols would go automatic...

Regards,

Kevin

jerrysimons
09-14-13, 20:36
Uh, there is definitely something wrong. Send it back to Glock ASAP (and obviously do not lend it to anyone in the mean time).

fourXfour
09-14-13, 21:53
Pics of the internals of the frame and slide would be great. I'm curious to see what the "crucifix" on the trigger bar looks like.

sierra 223
09-14-13, 21:57
Keep us updated on how Glock handles it and what was the cause.

Good luck with it.

Guns-up.50
09-14-13, 22:16
And no it isn't over lubed . :help: :help:

This is a joke ...right

Glock will take care of it, if you have internal pic we may be able to give better pointers.

tinkerer
09-14-13, 22:23
And no it isn't over lubed

This may be a stupid question, but is it even possible to over lubricate a Glock?

JF1
09-14-13, 22:56
Check your firing pin safety. Push on it to see if it freely moves and is under spring tension to return to its original position. If the firing pin safety spring is not properly secured in the recess or the firing pin safety gets bound up, the firing pin will slam forward under recoil and with enough inertia impact the primer to cause the next round to fire while you are holding the trigger to the rear. This is not common, but has happened before.

09-14-13, 22:58
This may be a stupid question, but is it even possible to over lubricate a Glock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-527BroPGI

Stubby
09-15-13, 02:04
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/byzaruna.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/be7y3e5u.jpg
Pictures of the frame, and no I havnt touched anything internally at all, I will be contacting glock on Monday to sort this out.

09-15-13, 02:07
The rear portion of the trigger bar by the connector looks polished. You sure this was new?

Stubby
09-15-13, 02:11
The rear portion of the trigger bar by the connector looks polished. You sure this was new?

Brand new out of the box, could be the shitty lighting I have.

philpac33
09-15-13, 02:51
This comment won't help you with your problem but don't make it a habit to keep your finger on the trigger when not safely on target and prepared to put holes in stuff. I realize that nothing will happen with the slide off but it's a dangerous practice. Even more so with 3-round bursts. Keep us updated, very interested.

bluejackets92fs
09-15-13, 02:52
You may be getting too little contact on your striker. Unlikely with a new weapon but I suppose it is possible.

Crow Hunter
09-15-13, 09:32
Sounds like you don't have good good contact between the tail of the cruciform and the tail of the striker. It needs to have at least 75% contact, if not, it is possible for the striker to slip off and fire another round. The only easy way to check it is with an inspection plate.

I am not sure why it only happens when you pull the trigger slowly though. It should happen all the time.

You are 100% sure that you aren't "bump firing" it accidently when easing the trigger back by not pulling the trigger all the way to the rear not getting consistent follow through?

I have a friend that does that all the time. He keeps his finger stiff and just barely pulls the trigger and he often doubles/triples. I have to stay after him to follow through.

It is odd that it only happens when you pull the trigger slowly. Cruciform slipping or inertial firing because of a stuck firing pin block should happen every time you pull the trigger. :confused:

Stubby
09-15-13, 09:58
Today I am going to put it on another frame and see if it still occurs, I will keep you all updated.

Averageman
09-15-13, 10:47
Anxious to see how this works out for you.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the update.

walkin' trails
09-15-13, 15:03
I hears if it happening to one shooter with a G22 years ago. In this case as it went rock n roll for others, let Glock figure it out. I had an old 1911 national match do that to me once. Wasn't my gun, and I was trying to shoot one handed,so iI don't know if it was just me accidently bumping the trigger. Didn't do it for anyone else.

Phillygunguy
09-15-13, 17:05
You need to send it back to glock don't Eff around with it, the ATF will classify it as a machine gun and your looking at 20 years in Federal prison, theyre a bunch of Dicks and don't care if its a malfunction

Stubby
09-15-13, 17:22
UPDATE,
It still malfunctioned on the other g17 frame, contacting glock tomorrow.
I'm aware of the illegality of it and do not want this malfunctioning pistol, I want it out of my possession ASAP. Will be calling them in the AM I'll let you know how they handle it, I hear their customer service is good so that's what I'm expecting.

Singlestack Wonder
09-15-13, 17:30
Trigger bar definitely does not look stock.

T2C
09-15-13, 17:32
I suspected it might be a part in the slide when I first read about the problem you are experiencing.

Did anyone take the slide apart before you shot the pistol? If this was a well worn pistol, I would be looking at the firing pin spring and the lower part of the tail of the firing pin. A weak firing pin spring can cause this problem.

It being a brand new pistol, I would not tinker with and send it back to Glock ASAP.

Crow Hunter
09-15-13, 17:35
UPDATE,
It still malfunctioned on the other g17 frame, contacting glock tomorrow.
I'm aware of the illegality of it and do not want this malfunctioning pistol, I want it out of my possession ASAP. Will be calling them in the AM I'll let you know how they handle it, I hear their customer service is good so that's what I'm expecting.

If it did it again on another frame then it is either the operator or something wrong with the slide.

If you are sure it isn't the operator. That leaves the tail of the striker being damaged/too short, the firing pin safety sticking open (as mentioned before) or maybe some type of weird slide rails being too short making the slide sit too high.

Can you take pictures of the underside of your slide? Try pushing the little silver disk you see close to the breech cut out while holding the striker back (don't let the striker go). Does it stick down or move freely? Does the tail of the striker, the metal hook you see at the back of the slide, look damaged or broken?

Definitely give Glock a call. However, fi you know a local Glock Armorer you could take it to them and they could most likely fix it in 15 min or less and not have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for your gun to come back.

ETA:

In theory, it could also be the "bump" on the slide that shoves that pops the connector back into place. If it isn't machined right and not snapping the connector back over the edge of the cruciform, it could cause it to cycle again. When you look under the slide, you will see a asymetrical "bump" machined into the frame on the right hand side of the frame. Can you compare it to the other Glock you took the frame from?

Stubby
09-15-13, 17:44
I suspect this is my problem? Protruding firing pin while slide lock is open

Stubby
09-15-13, 17:48

T2C
09-15-13, 17:48
Slam fires are not good. Maybe there is debris causing the firing pin safety to stick. If you turn the slide over and push down on the firing pin safety with a pencil eraser, it should come back up without binding. With the firing pin in the position you show in the photograph, you should see the firing pin safety pop up when you push the tail of the firing pin to the rear with a pencil eraser.

Crow Hunter
09-15-13, 17:55

That is quite common. Mine do that all the time.

What T2C said is what you need to check.

If the little silver button doesn't go up and down freely, you have a problem.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check and clean the striker channel, but you need to disassemble the slide for that. Not hard to do at all, but don't do something you aren't comfortable with.

kantstudien
09-15-13, 17:57
Any Glock armorer should be able to diagnose the problem.

Firing pin sticking out is normal so long as the firing pin safety was pushed down. So the picture doesn't tell us anything abnormal. If it bypassed the firing pin safety, then it would be a problem.

Also the trigger bar looks polished, I know you said it is "brand new" but do you mean brand new to you or brand new in the box?

My guess is polishing the trigger bar and also polishing the firing pin caused a unsafe interface between the trigger bar and the firing pin.

If a Glock armorer has an orange slide cover plate they can diagnose this immediately.

Stubby
09-15-13, 19:03
Just got back from the gun range, local glock armorer there, along with the retired police officers that meet there after hours on Sunday, we ran another 6 mags through playing with it and then set off breaking it down, installed new striker set for good measure, he's taking it to work tomorrow, he is the armorer for the local PD, to see what's what tomorrow, I'll keep you all updated

buyforce
09-15-13, 19:45
It's funny, this is the first thread that popped up,when I entered this evening.
I had the same problem today, test firing a used 19 today. I bought it recently, and just got around to shooting it. I had ten rounds loaded, for the "test". The last two rounds doubled. Curious, I reloaded and tried again. I could run a string of 4 or 5 shots at will.

Upon dry firing, it would release the firing pin when I was releasing the trigger. I first swapped in a new trigger bar. No good. It barely made contact with the firing pin. I then put the old trigger back in, and replaced the connector. It worked perfectly through the next 50 rounds.

The connector was aftermarket, and the gun was used. I understand it is not the same circumstance, but it could be helpful none the less.

The old connector got trashed, btw.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

samuse
09-16-13, 10:10
It's funny, this is the first thread that popped up,when I entered this evening.
I had the same problem today, test firing a used 19 today. I bought it recently, and just got around to shooting it. I had ten rounds loaded, for the "test". The last two rounds doubled. Curious, I reloaded and tried again. I could run a string of 4 or 5 shots at will.

Upon dry firing, it would release the firing pin when I was releasing the trigger. I first swapped in a new trigger bar. No good. It barely made contact with the firing pin. I then put the old trigger back in, and replaced the connector. It worked perfectly through the next 50 rounds.

The connector was aftermarket, and the gun was used. I understand it is not the same circumstance, but it could be helpful none the less.

The old connector got trashed, btw.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I had the exact same thing with a Lone Wolf connector about 5 or 6 years ago.

PLCedeno
09-16-13, 11:24
That trigger bar looks polished and deformed. If it happened with another frame then something is up with the engagement portion of the striker.