PDA

View Full Version : If you are in a large LE Agency, What duty guns are issued?

RWH24
09-14-13, 20:59
Make, Model and Caliber...

Is there any adaptation for males/females. small hands with gripping a large weapon?
Any consideration to caliber and the ability to control recoil by smaller/less strong personnel?
Does your agency have practice range days or open range?
Agency provided or you must provide your own practice ammo?

Just some questions for answers over a broader geographical area.

Thank You
RWH24

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-14-13, 21:07
Medium to large agency. Issued gun is the M&P 9mm. However, Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Glock, HK, FN, and SW are allowed as long as they are double stack. 1911's must be approved personally by the agency armorer. Allowable calibers are 9, 40, and 45, and ammo is issued in those calibers to fill up three magazines.

We have mandatory day and night range sessions, and a very few open days. Mandatory range sessions are provided ammo. We also train with sims, active shooter, LTL munitions, etc.

09-14-13, 21:21
I'm not the guy in charge but we're the 5th largest agency in the US if I'm correct.
Right now we're limited to 40S&W unless you were grandfathered in before the standardization. There are current talks about allowing the 45ACP again only with certain handgun models. It's not open season.

Right now the choices are Glock 22, 23; M&P40 full size; Sig 229, 226. We have to buy our own weapon. Nothing is provided. I've been noticing officers with smaller hands going to the M&P. As far as women, it's split between the G23 and the M&P. Male officers are spread all over.

Cadets are allowed to demo the guns prior to making their choice in the academy. Afterwards officers can switch at will. All they have to do is re-qualify with their new choice.
We don't have open range sessions. Officers who want to "practice" have to show up at the qualification range at the appropriate times. You just pay a very small fee for ammo and shoot the course at the same time other officers are actually qualifying. That's our "practice". They leave it up to us to get real range time.
We are responsible for our own duty ammo.

sierra 223
09-14-13, 21:22
Large agency, we issue SIG 226 9mm. I think new recruits are getting the DAK.

If you were on in the late 80s when we were transitioning to auto you could buy your own SIG, Glock or Beretta in 9mm.

The Dept decided on SIG at that time and began issuing 226 in 9mm.
A few years ago 357 SIG was approved if you wanted to buy your own.

Recently officers have been approved to buy Glock in 9mm or 357.
A few guys who switched to the 357 have went back to 9mm.

Range is pretty much open during the day, you generally have to provide your own ammo except for dept training or Qs.

There is a program for poor performing shooters with dept provided ammo and instruction.

Qs are twice a year.

madisonsfinest
09-14-13, 21:33
We are a medium size dept. I guess. We were issued Glock 17 or 19's when I started in '99. Six years later they switched to Glock 22 or 23's as issue, however you could purchase a Glock in 9mm or 45 afterwards. This fall the academy is switching back to 9mm issue, however the above applies here as well.

I believe the change was based on the 9mm being easier to shoot for most people, and on the performance of current 9mm ammo.

We have qualifications 2 times a year. We also have numerous open shoot dates each month. We have our own range, and we also can use an outdoor county range on Mondays. There are a couple 100 yard ranges at the county range.

RWH24
09-14-13, 22:55
AS a retiree, I must maintain an annual qualification. It should be coming up next month as it is usually in October. Out of doors in the Texas Sun and Heat, Oct is better. Since time change has been moved not sure how they do it now. We tried to use the week after time fell forward and had night shoot later in the week. Start later in the day and continue to Midnight or so.

What kind of rifle "Q's" did you have? We had 20 rounds at 100 yds score of 90%.

Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/documents/rules_and_statutes/firearms_proficiency_changes.pdf

We did a basic qualification required shooting. Some Deputies were not "Gun Folks" and they had problems with their rig every time. We provided Safariland 200 holster, dbl mag pouch, Sig 226, 357 Sig DAK, 3 magazines and 1, 50 round box of Speer GDHP ammo for duty.
They forget to unsnap when drawing, forget to decock when we issued 226 DA/SA 9mm's, forget to snap up after re-holster.

Some folks are just about un-teachable in the use of peep sights.:help:

PD Sgt.
09-15-13, 09:46
I work for a relatively large agency. Patrol is issued .40 S&W M&P. Plain clothes may be issued a compact .40 or 9mm, or may use a personally owned pistol in an approved caliber (9mm, .40, .38, .45) and model (primarily Smith, Glock, HK, Sig).

We qualify three times yearly, shotguns, ARs, BUG/off dutys are worked in to these quals. Firing range is open three to four days a week, you can come in on or off duty. Officers are allotted 1 box of whatever you are issued per week, off calibers you provide the practice ammo. Tactical units get more, and officers with rifles get 50 rounds per week 5.56 as well when it is available.

glocktogo
09-15-13, 10:39
Tulsa Co. Sheriff's Office: Glock 21C with night sights. Deputies that can't qualify with the G-21C are allowed to qualify with and carry the G-22C as an alternate.

Cmm46
09-15-13, 12:18
Im on a medium sized dept. Glock 22s (.40) for patrol. 21's (.45) for SWAT. And some plain clothes guys have 23's(.40)

We do have some open range days. 2-4 days a month for about 3 hours and the department provides unlimited ammo. I take full advantage of this and will run through couple hundred rounds a visit.

rickmy
09-15-13, 13:02
Approx 1700 Officers. Issued S&W M&P .40. Must be carried while in uniform. Detectives, plain clothes, and specialized units can carry from a large list. .40 is provided by the Department for once a month training which is becoming mandatory. Qualify once a year.

Miami_JBT
09-15-13, 13:26
Smaller state wide agency. GLOCK Gen4 17 with 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT.

09-15-13, 13:52
Tulsa Co. Sheriff's Office: Glock 21C with night sights. Deputies that can't qualify with the G-21C are allowed to qualify with and carry the G-22C as an alternate.

I have nothing against the C models but I wonder why they went with it. I read Glock was going to discontinue them soon.

Voodoo_Man
09-15-13, 14:13
Fluctuates between G17's, G22's or G21's.

Depending on the stock level at the armory and the class coming out of the academy.

RWH24
09-15-13, 14:23
I am glad to see the agencies offering range time and ammo to practice with. WE always hope that day never comes
but must be prepared to do it right when the tome comes.

The fact that your agency is open minded enough to adapt gun to officer/job, than officer to gun. Just never understood.
Can't fit a size 12 foot into a size 10 shoe/boot or a size 6 narrow foot into a 13 EEE Danner.

RWH24
09-15-13, 14:25
Officers/Deputies/Troopers of smaller agencies please feel free to respond also.
Did not mean to leave anyone out of the loop.

glocktogo
09-15-13, 14:31
I have nothing against the C models but I wonder why they went with it. I read Glock was going to discontinue them soon.

I have no idea. Possibly because Glock was touting the reduced recoil of the C models to LE agencies at the time as an aid to improved qual scores (not taking into account that most flinch is because of the noise, not recoil). Also, the Tulsa Police Dept went with the 22C a year before TCSO went with the 21. We had the S&W 4506 prior to the 21C.

I purchased my own 21SF and had the frame further reduced & stippled. Once qualified with it, I've been allowed to carry it instead of the issued 21C. FWIW, TPD is now issuing new Gen 4 22's without ports. It should be a significant improvement.

09-15-13, 14:37
I have no idea. Possibly because Glock was touting the reduced recoil of the C models to LE agencies at the time as an aid to improved qual scores (not taking into account that most flinch is because of the noise, not recoil). Also, the Tulsa Police Dept went with the 22C a year before TCSO went with the 21. We had the S&W 4506 prior to the 21C.

I purchased my own 21SF and had the frame further reduced & stippled. Once qualified with it, I've been allowed to carry it instead of the issued 21C. FWIW, TPD is now issuing new Gen 4 22's without ports. It should be a significant improvement.

Our dept should hopefully be green lighting the 45ACP soon so that opens up the option of the G21, M&P45, HK45, HK USP45, and the Sig 227. I'm interested to see how those take off.

walkin' trails
09-15-13, 14:54
Larger agency. G22 is issued at the academy. Issue P229s available for those who don't care for Glocks. Also a handful of G23s, 27s, P239s, and USP/Cs out there. Personal handguns fro Glock, SIG, S&W, and H&K in 9, 40, and 45 if in the approved list. Qualification is quarterly with ammo provided.

gtmtnbiker98
09-15-13, 16:27
Small agency here. Issued sidearm P30 V1 9mm. All ammunition is provided, qualifications once a year. Reserve officers are all retired from the agency or former full-time with agency and they still carry the SIG P229R DAK .40. That was our previous sidearm.

Vulture38
09-15-13, 16:31
Medium sized agency. We operate off of an approval list (all the usual major manufacturers) and supply duty ammo.

jnc36rcpd
09-15-13, 16:55
Sixty officer municipal agency.

Duty weapon is SIG 226 or 226R in .40. Officers with smaller hands may opt for the 239. We have one officer who ordered the EE grips in the hope of going back to a 226.

We have standardized on .40. As we are examining different pistols to determine if the 226/239 is still best for our needs, I hope to encourage going back to 9mm.

If an officer agrees to shoot six times annually, we will purchase a membership at a private range. I believe we supply one box of fifty rounds every two months (down from fifty every month). We will also supply rifle ammunition.

penates
09-15-13, 18:58
I work for a large federal agency. Issued the H&K P2000 in .40 and currently using 180 gr Win Ranger ammo. We used to use the Safariland SLS holsters and Bianchi nylon gear. For the past three odd years the service has been handing out the POS Serpa duty holsters and Blackhawk nylon gear.

Weare138
09-15-13, 19:05
Small to medium federal dept. issued Gen4 23 and 22. 180g HST.

TactTeam
09-15-13, 19:07
Sig P229 DAK in .357.

Used to be a 10 mil but had problems from what Im told with smaller framed and guys with less of a grip.

Switched to SIG when they introduced the 357 sig round.

Detmongo
09-15-13, 19:58
Pretty large agency. We have a choice of three service guns to choose from, Glock 19,Sig 226 DAO and S&W 5946. Qual 2x a year,service off duty and a tact course of fire to the tune of about 300 rds a year. Members have the one range day a month thru out the city either at the outdoor range or several of the indoor ranges around the city. Members are issued 100 rds of service ammo to be fired at the range.

Psalms144.1
09-15-13, 20:10
Not a large agency (only about 1,100 full time armed personnel), but we issue Agent's choice of P229R or P239, both in .40 S&W, both with the DAK trigger.

The GOOD news is we have probably the most liberal personal weapons policy in law enforcement - IIRC, we can choose from about 13 different manufacturers, any model with a nominal 3" barrel in semis, 1 7/8" barrel in revolvers (yes, we can still carry round guns) in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .38 Special. Basically, if one of our agents can't find a pistol that "fits" him or her, one probably doesn't exist...

WRT firearms training, we have semi-annual qualification requirements (60 round course of fire), which are tied into optional additional training (if you want to stay and shoot, we facilitate and coach). Each agent is authorized 50 rounds of proficiency ammunition per month, and most offices are pretty good about covering the costs of range fees if you have to shoot on a commercial range.

Regards,

Kevin

Austin Millbarge
09-15-13, 20:58
Connecticut State Police. 1200 Troopers. Issued Sig P220R for uniformed Troopers. Tactcal Team members have Cerberus Tactical 1911's. Detectives and plainclothes assignments can carry any DA/SA, or striker fired pistols ( no SAO) in most major calibers.

We issue some patrol guys rifles ( currently Colt only, that may change) and some Mossberg 590's. You can have your own Colt rifle or any pump or semi auto shotgun in 12 gauge. We provide the ammo.

09-15-13, 21:13
I work for a medium sized county police department. ~850 sworn officers. We are issued the Sig 229R in .40. Duty rounds are 180grn Federal HST. The gun is fitted with 3 different grips, chosen by the officer. Small, which are the E2 grip, medium, which is the Hogue rubber grip, and large, which is the Hogue wrap around grip. I use the wrap around, as I have gorilla paws.

We have one "range day" per year, where you qual with duty and off duty guns. Average about 300 rounds on range day. We also shoot at each in service (2x year). The in service shooting is a joke. I wouldn't call it training.

Up until the great ammo shortage of 2013, we were given 100 rounds of range ammo per month. That stopped in April.

We allow personal rifles to be carried, and ammo is provided by the department. We carry Winchester Ranger 64grn bonded.

Gunfighter 9
09-16-13, 06:28

Is there any adaptation for males/females. small hands with gripping a large weapon?
Any consideration to caliber and the ability to control recoil by smaller/less strong personnel?

Thank You
RWH24

We have approximately 500 officers statewide. The department issues a Glock 23 but will allow officers to purchase at their own expense a Glock 27 to carry as a back up. We have no practice days, and no provided practice ammo. The only ammo provided is that which is used to qualify with and due to the ammo shortages and price increases we are given only two attempts.

MoCop
09-16-13, 07:45
840 sworn. Sig P229R. Issued to everyone. Nothing else.

silviacrazed
09-16-13, 08:40
Large municipal agency. Currently carry M&P full-size in 40S&W, but we are in the process of switching to Gen 4 Glock 22. Our open range is one day a week from 800-1530 and that's if there's nothing else scheduled that day. We get 100 rounds a month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Gadfly
09-16-13, 09:04
LARGE Fed agency.

Make, Model and Caliber... Primary issue is SIG 229 DAK .40. Very limited number of issued 226 DAK for shooters with larger hands. Issued 239 DAK .40, Glock 26, or J frame as back up. Personal Purchase Policy allows agents to buy Glock 17, 26 / SIG 229, 239, 226 in DA/SA .40 / H&K P2000sk .40 LEM / S&W J frame .38.

Issued ammo for duty and practice. Ammo is a mix of .40 155gr JHP (federal), .40 180gr JHP (Federal), 9mm 124gr +P JHP (Speer), 9mm 147gr JHP (Winchester), .38 +p (Speer). Ammo shipped out from HQ and the type we get varies every few years...

Is there any adaptation for males/females. small hands with gripping a large weapon? New SIG 229 has smaller grips for females. Smaller than the E2 grips, but a two piece screw on design. Females can personal purchase Glock 9mm if the SIG is too large.

Any consideration to caliber and the ability to control recoil by smaller/less strong personnel? Smaller Females can personal purchase a 9mm Glock if they are recoil sensitive.

Does your agency have practice range days or open range? We qual every quarter. One mandatory range day in the quarter. Usually 2 optional practice days where anyone can come out an train at their own pace.

Agency provides all ammo. Duty ammo used for practice. We have a pretty generous ammo budget.

alcante262
09-16-13, 17:27
Interesting post.Back in the day I took a survey on different kinds ,calibers,brands, O:cool:fficers on PDs were carrying.I always found it interesting the ones that carried the S&W 41 mags,some just carried what you qualified with as I did.

rathos
09-17-13, 00:56
Smaller county department. Glock 17 is the issue handgun, Colt 6520 with a surefire forend. We can carry any reputable company sidearm in 9mm, .357 sig, .40, .45 .357 mag or .38 special. Back up guns can be as small as .22 cal. Rifles can be .223-308 but no magnified optics unless sniper trained. No shotguns allowed unless you are a breacher.

You only get practice ammo if you carry a .223 rifle or a handgun in 9mm or .45 acp, same goes for duty ammo.

dpd229
09-17-13, 08:57
Small municipality metro ATL. Just transitioned to Gen 4 Glock 21 with tlr-1. Prior to that had gen 3 and prior to that had FN 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

jondoe297
09-17-13, 10:56
We have 165 sworn. Our issued weapon is the Glock 22 Gen4. We don't issue different weapons for problem shooters, but our personnel have the option to carry pretty much anything they want, if it's 9mm, 40, or 45, provided that they pass the qual course with it.
Our agency provides one 50-round box of practice ammo to each Deputy per month, if you ask for it. We don't have set "practice" days, but Deputies who want additional practice can show up on qualification days and shoot.

LtDave
09-20-13, 21:27
State agency in an arid western state.
Issue gun is SIG P226R DA/SA in .40. All uniformed members carry with mounted Streamlight TLR-1. P229s and P239s in .40 are also approved for duty and backups. Only railed guns approved for uniform use now as light is mandatory. Issue duty ammo is Speer 180 Gold Dot, practice ammo is Speer Lawman. Quals are twice yearly, and usually require about 200-300 pistol rounds. Backup gun quals are done annually. Issue long gun is a Colt M4 5.56 variant with railed forend. Duty ammo is Speer 64 grain Gold Dot.

jr1572
09-20-13, 21:48
I work for a large local sheriff's office and we are issued Beretta PX4 9mm in the F configuration.

JR1572

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 14:51
doube tap

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 14:58
No one carries a 10MM? I am dissapoint.

jb7304
09-21-13, 15:28
Large state agency in the process of transitioning from the Glock 37 45 GAP to the Gen4 Glock 21.

Wreckingball911
09-21-13, 17:20
Interned at a very small sheriffs office not too long ago. They carried G22s and hardly had the money to get 40 deputies qualified every year. They did not have their own range.

Recently graduated from BLET and start with an office of 250 deputies in approximately one week. Issued weapon is a G21 though I was told you can carry something from most reputable manufacturers. They have their own indoor range. That is all I know for now.

JeremyVG
09-23-13, 02:27
Very Small local agency.

Dept issued G17Gen4 w/TLR-1s for duty and a G26Gen4 for back up/off duty. That's it (though part time officers provide their own pistols most use Glock 9mm's as well). Interestingly enough, at our recent transition day, officers were allowed to test the different backstrap configurations. All but one chose the medium beavertail. That one chose the large beavertail (he has HUGE hands with long fingers).

Dept issued ammunition is 124 grain HST. Dept issued holsters are Safariland 6390's on duty and 6378's off.

We do not have any female officers, and I probably have the smallest hands on the dept (size medium glove) and the above works perfectly for me.

We have range days when the budget allows (we try for quarterly) and have to qualify at minimum once per year. Ammo for the day is provided, any extra is on the officer.

jvg

Big A
09-23-13, 09:50
Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Glock 22 Gen 3. Approved back up guns are Glocks in 9mm or .40S&W and S&W J-frames in 38/357.

J_B
09-23-13, 12:03
Mid-sized Sheriff's Department

Currently Issued: Sig P226R or P239

Caliber: 9mm or .40

Early 2014 we are going to Glocks in 9mm only. Will be Gen4 and have choice of 17 or 19.

We are authorized personal carry of Glocks now so I relinquished my 226 and am carrying my Gen4 19.

We can arrange for practice days but you have to bring your own ammo. Which I've done but for my rifle.

There was a time when we had scheduled practice days and ammo was provided but budget cuts.

Shawvez
09-24-13, 11:17
Large local agency. Everyone is being issued a gen 4 Glock 17. Before it was a mix of glocks in all calibers and 1911s. Quals are 2x yearly. But, there are numerous training class(low light, plain clothes, etc) which are free of cost and ammo is provided. I still like to shoot a couple times a month by myself. Duty ammo is provided and is ranger 127+p+ or 147gr.

TCB
09-24-13, 19:09
Large 21,000+ Fed agency, we all get a .40 H&K P2000.... I've seen a couple of P2000SK's but they are few and far between, we are allowed to run the L, M or small back straps depending on what feels best. We qual. quarterly with and are issued Federal JHP 180 Gr. for duty. There are 870's and M-4's (with happy switch!) available in the armory to check out for everyone and some of us have assigned rifles. Our boat patrol and supervisors also have access to .40 H&K UMP sub guns....

Symmetry
09-24-13, 19:36
Large federal agency. We are authorized to carry compact and full sized classic Sigs in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp. Subcompacts are only authorized for those with small hands, for plain clothes and off-duty carry, or BUG. DA/SA, DAO, or DAK triggers are authorized. The P232 .380 is also authorized for BUG carry.

For ammo, .380acp standard pressure only 80gr-105gr, 9mm standard pressure only 100gr-150gr, .40S&W 140gr-185gr, and .45acp standard pressure only 180gr-230gr.

I generally prefer to use the P228 9mm, or the P229 .40.

operator81
09-24-13, 23:43
Highway Patrol. Issued P229R in .357 Sig with 125 grain Speer Gold Dot. Cannot carry anything in lieu of. Back-up/off-duty can be anything you want. No tac lights allowed. We are issued the silly Safariland rapid light to switch between our pistol and rifle. 99% of us keep it on the rifle.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-24-13, 23:48
Highway Patrol. Issued P229R in .357 Sig with 125 grain Speer Gold Dot. Cannot carry anything in lieu of. Back-up/off-duty can be anything you want. No tac lights allowed. We are issued the silly Safariland rapid light to switch between our pistol and rifle. 99% of us keep it on the rifle.

Seriously? Its too bad people who know anything about anything do not get to make the choices.

RWH24
09-24-13, 23:57
Very good responses. Looks like the FED's have all the GOOD Toys! :sarcastic:

Really glad so many have replied. Very interesting read from small local city/towns to large city/state agencies and then the federal level.
The guns run from a Glock, Sig, S&W, H&K to several other makers.
Lots of 9mm carry and some soon to be carrying 9mm after a change from another current issue caliber. 40 S&W was well represented along with 45acp. Last was the 357Sig. 380acp came in as OD or BUG use.
Since I started back in the ancient times when we carried REVOLVERS and 38spec, 158gr lead round nose ammo, some may remember them. I always qualified with my revolver every year. Young guys would ask, What kind of sling shot is that gramps? I also qualified with my 5 shot 642 S&W with speedloaders.

Stay Sharp and Practice Trigger Control, Hitting the Target!

BAC
10-14-13, 17:46

Thank You
RWH24

Large agency. Smith & Wesson M&P 40, standard size. I don't know if any additional concessions are made for different hand sizes beyond the different backstraps that the M&P comes with. I have small-ish hands and have had no issues with the size of the handgun. I'm not "in the know" enough to know when the M&P became the agency standard or why. It seems we've got some shooters among the instructors and they're trying to push the issue for APEX trigger parts because of how poorly they all think of the M&P stock trigger. I hope that's a sooner-rather-than-later upgrade because I can't stand the M&P trigger.

Supposedly they'll provide ammo for open range days, but those are few and far between it seems (compounded by us not having our own range and borrowing the local SO's range). They do provide carry ammo for 9mm, .40 S&W, and 5.56x45. Handgun ammo is Speer Gold Dot, rifle unknown. Folks have no trouble getting duty ammo, but practice ammo's been tight and they've made no bones about it.

FriggetyFrak
10-16-13, 07:41
Large 21,000+ Fed agency, we all get a .40 H&K P2000.... I've seen a couple of P2000SK's but they are few and far between, we are allowed to run the L, M or small back straps depending on what feels best. We qual. quarterly with and are issued Federal JHP 180 Gr. for duty. There are 870's and M-4's (with happy switch!) available in the armory to check out for everyone and some of us have assigned rifles. Our boat patrol and supervisors also have access to .40 H&K UMP sub guns....

I was about to post up and read your post, so I'll piggy back here. If I'm reading you right, I'm in the other 21000+ side of the house, same pistols, but still stuck with 135 grain Winchester and Federal ammo depending on locality. Apparently some have moved to 180 grain. I got to fire the UMP once. Fun way to burn through ammo.

doughnut
10-16-13, 18:30
Small (26) municipal agency, issue Glock 22G4 w/TLR-1 in Safariland 6360s for duty and an issued 6378 for off-duty/court/plainclothes. RRA M4-geries w/ EOTech 512 and 870P long guns issued to each vehicle (fleet cars). Speer GDHP 180gr, Federal TRU 5.56 55gr. BTHP, and Federal FliteControl 00Buck.

BUGs strictly prohibited :rolleyes: and off duty can be anything .32 or larger approved by armorer and chief.

Qualifications twice a year including one night fire. Rifle and shotgun included. Additional range time is scheduled with an instructor and not on the clock. Practice ammo is on the officer but qualification, dept organized training and duty ammo is paid.

sndmn11
10-16-13, 23:35
Very small rural (11 sworn) municipal agency:
Issued Glock 22 as primary and Glock 27 or 23 as secondary if you make the request. Provided three magazines for each, and Ranger180gr to fill them. Additional ammo is issued if you buy your own magazines. No weapon lights for uniformed patrol.
We are required to have an issued shotgun in our patrol vehicle, mine is an 870. Ranger slugs and buckshot is issued.
Those who request and qualify have their choice between S&W Ar15s, Colt M-16s, HK MP5s, and a few have micro Galiels (spelling). I went the AR15 route. Ammunition is issued for those.
Off duty guns can be whatever you want to qualify with. Ranger ammunition is issued for those.
We have our own range, it's ranch land for pete's sake, and can use it anytime we want as long as we give a supervisor a head's up. Practice ammunition is provided within reason.
Qualifications take place every 4ish months.
My old agency was 9 sworn. We provided our own weapons, Speer Gold Dot was issued. Ammunition and range availability was the same.

PSBT4117
10-17-13, 20:41
Agency is about 50 sworn. We issue Gen 3 G22's and S&W M&P in .40 S&W. Office staff and detectives get a G27 and M&Pc if they want. No weapon lights yet, but we are hoping to get them issued in the near future.

crusher613
10-18-13, 19:23
medium size agency 350-375 sworn. Issued Glock 22 or 23 depending on hand size. Just started receiving Gen4's. Previously issued Hk USP 40's. They were older and starting to need updating. New Glocks were cheaper I guess.

We rent range space from the local college who runs our police academy. Semi annual training days and annual qualifications. Dept provides ammo which will sometimes equate to 50-100 rounds per trainee for the entire 10HRS day. Ammo shortages have hit my agency.

britishtq
10-18-13, 21:01
San Bernardino county sheriff gets mini 14's, Remington 870's, and glock 21 pistols.

RWH24
10-18-13, 23:23
I didn't originally ask, what rifle ammo are you issued for the 5.56/223?

We were issued Federal T223E 55 gr Sierra BTHP TRU. Practice was American Eagle AE223. Close enough performance, did not have to move sights much on some rifles.

crusher613
10-18-13, 23:28
We are issued the same rifle, both duty and practice. Enough for 4 mags of duty. County is issues Hornady TAP Urban. I think all agency in my county issue 55gr 5.56. Low recoil OO buck shot too(Remington)

TCB
10-19-13, 06:02
I was about to post up and read your post, so I'll piggy back here. If I'm reading you right, I'm in the other 21000+ side of the house, same pistols, but still stuck with 135 grain Winchester and Federal ammo depending on locality. Apparently some have moved to 180 grain. I got to fire the UMP once. Fun way to burn through ammo.

Ahh, my blue brother! Yes, the UMP is a lot of fun to dump a mag threw! Down here for the green machine in S. Texas it's all 180gr. Federal, not sure about the rest of the country. I've also has Federal & Winchester Bonded 155gr issued to me but that was up at the academy....I think they were trying to use I all up and the 180gr Federal is going to be our curren duty load.

Chameleox
10-19-13, 12:13
I didn't originally ask, what rifle ammo are you issued for the 5.56/223?

450 or so sworn. Mentioned by another poster on page 1. .223 duty ammo is Hornady 75gr TAP. Practice ammo is currently TAP 55gr practice, but we have a bunch of other stuff available, too. Everyone gets 2X18 round mags worth, but can supplement if they want to, or if assignment (SWAT) issues it.

ARs are all Colt, mix of personally owned and issued. We're considering expanding, but we're doing it by baby steps. Its already come a long way.

Psalms144.1
10-19-13, 16:57
Pistol answers provided before. For long guns, we have Mossberg M500s, MP5KNs, and Mk18s. Primary long guns available in the states are the Mossys only, and they're very restricted on operational use. Post WNY shooting, we (FIs) are once again pushing for more long guns in the field and readily available to agents; since 2005 I've been trying to start a pilot program where SMG/Carbine Instructors (a separate training course for us from basic FI training) be issued permanently MP5 and Mk18, or be allowed to purchase and carry on duty personally owned civilian-legal M4-family weapons.

To date, no joy, but I keep floating the idea every time someone asks for input from the field...

Regards,

Kevin

JHC
10-19-13, 19:55

Possible thread drift but re the UMP. Our local Sheriff's dept's SWAT has UMPs (I didn't catch the caliber). But is there anything a UMP can do that can't be done as well or better with a Mk18 type weapon? (They have Colt SBRs too.)

Psalms144.1
10-19-13, 20:19
Possible thread drift but re the UMP. Our local Sheriff's dept's SWAT has UMPs (I didn't catch the caliber). But is there anything a UMP can do that can't be done as well or better with a Mk18 type weapon? (They have Colt SBRs too.)JHC - not a direct response, but one thing that our MP5KNs can do is be folded up and carried discretely in a messenger back or backpack when you need to have firepower handy but have to be very low profile. Other than that, any subgun is a large, heavy pistol with a stock, some of which are very accurate, but still only delivering pistol performance from a small rifle package... Of course, a supressed SMG is also VERY quiet.

Tons of studies have shown that 5.56mm is actually a lot LESS likely to over penetrate or pass through interior and exterior walls, which, IMHO, makes it even mo' bettah for use inside houses.

Regards,

Kevin

Quiet
10-19-13, 21:07
(CA) San Bernardino County Sheriff Department (approx 2000 LEOs)
Deputies get a choice of being issued a 9x19mm Glock 17 or .45ACP Glock 21.

Other types of 9x19mm and .45ACP Glock pistols are also authorized for duty use.
(Glock 17Gen4, 19, 19Gen4, 26, 26Gen4, 21Gen4, 21SF, 30, 30Gen4, 30S, 30SF, 34, 34Gen4, 36)

A few years back, they looked into switching to .45GAP Glock pistols (as a way to standardize the sidearms/magazines/etc) but did not go through with it because of budgetary issues*. *Budgetary issues are also the reason why they still use Ruger Mini-14s (acquired during the 1980s-90s) as their standard issue rifle.

RWH24
10-19-13, 21:59
Winchester Mod 94's and M1 Carbines adorned many patrol vehicles till mid 1978 When Dennis and Lancaster escaped from McAlester Pen and went on a killing, escape and evade run. The end was the shooting of 2 OHP Troopers in Kenefic, Ok, then the deadly shootout in Caddo Okla.

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/19164179.html

I was involved in some of the manhunts and a lot of door to door.
Armed with an 870 shotgun and 38 spec revolver was armament of the day and no body armor.

policetested
10-19-13, 22:59
my former agency issued Beretta 92 DAOs with magazine disconnect..switched Sig 229s DAK, and 239s for investigators in 9mm.

range is quarterly...Remington ammo for duty and practice.

RWH24
10-20-13, 20:13
I actually liked the Sig 226 DAK in 357Sig. CID and Transport had 229 DAK in 357Sig.

Didn't care much for the caliber.

Bigun
10-21-13, 05:11
my former agency issued Beretta 92 DAOs with magazine disconnect..switched Sig 229s DAK, and 239s for investigators in 9mm.

range is quarterly...Remington ammo for duty and practice.

Same Federal agency. No rifles, no shotguns and no deviation or modifications to issued weapons. Bone stock one size fits most.:mad:

TCB
10-21-13, 15:10
Possible thread drift but re the UMP. Our local Sheriff's dept's SWAT has UMPs (I didn't catch the caliber). But is there anything a UMP can do that can't be done as well or better with a Mk18 type weapon? (They have Colt SBRs too.)

Not that I'm aware of....They are fun to shoot and are kind of a status symbol as us regular guys can't check them out. Personally I roll with an M-4 and have no desire to use a UMP out in the field. The trigger kind of sucks too....at least on the one example I've shot.

A short MK18 type rifle would be ideal for tight spaces or when moving threw the extremely thick brush we have down here in my AO. Sometimes I'll be down on my hands and knees crawling threw it and a shorter barrel would make that a lot easier. In that type of brush everything seems to get caught up in it....I've found twigs and vines tangled around just about all my gear, luckily it's never locked anything up that I needed to acces quickley.

ruchik
10-21-13, 17:07
To all the officers who are allowed to purchase or choose their own weapons:

I've always been curious. Are you allowed to modify your weapons in any manner, that permanently changes the way it functions? Such as trigger jobs, stippling, grip reductions, etc.?

Psalms144.1
10-21-13, 17:38
We can make modifications to our authorized personal weapons as long as they're not "competition specific" mods, like "excessively light triggers" or red dot sights (sigh - yes, our policy is a decade or so behind the times...)

Regards,

Kevin

kittyhawk
10-22-13, 11:56
Med sized fed agency, issued Sig 229 or 239 both in .357 sig loaded with 125gr gold dots. Off duty we can only but Sig 230-232 or 239. It sucks but been wispers of a new off duty policy that will allow a bunch of choices.....But time will tell.

I can tell that Sigs QC has gone to shit in the last few years!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newer production guns we getting are having trigger issues from SIG from the factory, they are Gritty with Horrible pulls. The parts looks like they are MIM or Pot metal not the Nice polished machined parts of years past. Shame on SIG for letting their QC go to hell to make some of the Crappiest and FUGLY guns for the Lay person and not keeping true to thier LE contracts.

kaltblitz
10-22-13, 13:48
160 sworn department in SF Bay Area, CA

We issue the S&W M&P 40

We authorize Glock, H&K, Beretta, Sig, Springfield Armory and select 1911's. Guns must be carried in a Safariland Level II or Level III with or without light. Select modifications to guns are allowed if approved by department armorers.

Caliber choice is 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP (Federal HST duty)

Right now I'd say the dept looks like this:
30% issue M&P
30% 1911
30% Glock
10% everything else (mostly H&K)

We have two quals per year and two mandatory training days per year (one day / one night). We do a yearly armorer inspection of all duty guns.

We also do various open range days with instructors present throughout the year and guys can come up and shoot on their own whenever they want.

Practice ammo is provided by the department (within reason).

chrisba
10-22-13, 14:02
Don't laugh, but our entire department is issued Beretta PX4's. We have about 1200 deputies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jwfuhrman
10-25-13, 11:57
Small Rural Department ERT Medic. Issue weapon is Sig P220 but there is a list of "approved" weapons our team can carry in 45ACP. For my duty weapon I use a FNX-45 our long guns are Colt 6933's and 6920's and we have free reign to put what ever we want on them. I'm running a Centurion Arms Carbine Cut Out, EOTech 512, Troy BUIS, B5 Bravo.

The FNX-45 wasn't on the list of approved until our Instructor shot my personal FNX-45. Now he is pushing for that to be standard issue.

Federal 230 HST 45ACP for Handgun
Hornady 60gr Tap for Rifles

I run the 6933 because I've got plenty of other shit to carry when we make entry.

HCM
10-26-13, 12:30

The short answer is no, there is nothing the UMP does better than a quality Mk18 type. Sticking with AR pattern guns also streamlines the training and qualification process, allowing development of a more proficient user.

I have some trigger time on the 40 cal UMP and have cam fired the 45. The UMP is not as smooth, user friendly or controllable as the MP5. Not nearly as durable or reliable either. Though very unlikely in domestic LE operations, the heat from high volume firing can compromise the polymer receiver.

It's a fun toy and better than no long gun at all but not > an M4 or Mk 18.

FriggetyFrak
11-12-13, 22:43
Ahh, my blue brother! Yes, the UMP is a lot of fun to dump a mag threw! Down here for the green machine in S. Texas it's all 180gr. Federal, not sure about the rest of the country. I've also has Federal & Winchester Bonded 155gr issued to me but that was up at the academy....I think they were trying to use I all up and the 180gr Federal is going to be our curren duty load.

I think the 180gr Federal is eventually going to be standard across the board. We've bounced from Winchester to Federal a few times. Our stock of 135gr seems to be pretty deep, but I'm in a relatively small port so we don't burn through it as fast. We're probably a year behind the bigger locations in going to the 180.

maddy345
11-13-13, 08:11
Med size police department. We can carry P226, P229, Glock 22 or 23, H&K USP or M&P. All in .40

Most qual twice per year but those of us in a special division or on SWAT qual quarterly with a harder course with patrol rifle and shotgun thrown in. Range day is an all day event. SWAT all carries Glock 22s so everyone's reloads match.

ZGXtreme
11-13-13, 12:24
Municipal Agency with 120+/- and currently in the process of replacing all department pistols. Issued as of now are Glock 21C's and Glock 31C's for those with smaller hands. Anytime within the next few months, we are replacing all pistols with Gen 4 21's.

aguila327
11-14-13, 00:15
125 officer Dept. Patrol: Sig 226/Rail .357 sig

Plain Clothe/Detectives: Sig 239 .357sig (optional)

coltm4223
11-14-13, 13:36
Med size Fed Agency, every agent issued a S&W M&P45 w/Surefire X300, Colt M4A1 and a PVS-14. The issue holster is a Kramer Verticle Scabbard and ammo for the .45 is Winchester 230gr +P SXT.

margo walters
11-14-13, 18:12
300+ agency, we're issued M&Ps in 40. We qualify 3x a year(2 day shoots, 1 night shoot) with both our M&Ps and our 870s. SWAT qualifies monthly with the M&P and their assigned long gun(UMP, AR-10, 870, or bolt gun). We also do yearly active shooter training using sims. All ammo is provided by the agency. We own our range but most of the other agencies in the county use it as well so time is limited. Ammo is provided at no cost as long as you are running 40 or 12 gauge. You can carry what ever you like off duty as long as you qualify with it yearly. If it's not in 40 then you must provide the ammo.

jhs1969
11-14-13, 23:09
G31, G33, .357 Sig

babypanther
11-17-13, 16:59
Large Federal Agency. HK P2000 LEM in .40 S&W. M4A1 or Remington 870 are available to check out if desired.

RWH24
11-17-13, 17:29
Lots of great response.:dance3:

zulu6
11-17-13, 19:30
205 Officer south Florida city dept. Had major, major problems with the Glock 22 with Streamlight TLR1's attached. A new Chief said enough with that. All officers now have the choice of SIG P226 Enhanced Elite or P229 Enhanced Elite all chambered in .357. Gold Dot duty ammo provided. So far so good. Quals are quarterly plus yearly in-service. Lots of shooting. Practice time is avail and ammo is generally provided on a limited basis. Oh, and Sig M400 11.5" AR's inbound to replace aging 16" Colt Hbars.

11-18-13, 03:27
Just to update my own reply we just added the M&P 45, G21, and Sig P227 to the approved list for uniformed officers.

I'm not the guy in charge but we're the 5th largest agency in the US if I'm correct.
Right now we're limited to 40S&W unless you were grandfathered in before the standardization. There are current talks about allowing the 45ACP again only with certain handgun models. It's not open season.

Right now the choices are Glock 22, 23; M&P40 full size; Sig 229, 226. We have to buy our own weapon. Nothing is provided. I've been noticing officers with smaller hands going to the M&P. As far as women, it's split between the G23 and the M&P. Male officers are spread all over.

Cadets are allowed to demo the guns prior to making their choice in the academy. Afterwards officers can switch at will. All they have to do is re-qualify with their new choice.
We don't have open range sessions. Officers who want to "practice" have to show up at the qualification range at the appropriate times. You just pay a very small fee for ammo and shoot the course at the same time other officers are actually qualifying. That's our "practice". They leave it up to us to get real range time.
We are responsible for our own duty ammo.

FriggetyFrak
11-18-13, 15:48
Large Federal Agency. HK P2000 LEM in .40 S&W. M4A1 or Remington 870 are available to check out if desired.

It seems there are at least 3 of us here. Green or blue, or maybe tan? (I'm blue BTW.)

sbn
11-19-13, 04:15
I dont know if this thread is for US agencys only?

Aprox. 3500 policeofficer.

The standard police issue gun is the HK USP compact 9mm - without a safetyswitch (stupid). Its a fine gun, but personally I think they should have choosen the Glock 17, Sig P226 or at least the standard USP 9mm.

I think they tried to find a gun what would "fit" you no matter who you are, male/female, big/small hands ect. They wanted a small gun. And I think they got the best deal with HK at the time. This gun was introduced to the danish police back in the mid 90'ties and we do not have the option for any other weapon. Too bad they didnt have the P30 back then.

RWH24
11-19-13, 13:08
I dont know if this thread is for US agencys only?
No, No not at all. Glad to hear from you. Open to any and all LEO's. Federal, National, State, County or City/Township,:meeting:

specopsscout
11-19-13, 13:38
NJ Dept of Corrections; Approximately 6500 Uniformed Sworn Officers, approximately 1000 Non Uniformed Sworn Officers.
Uniformed; HK USP .40 Call LEM with Mag Disconnect.
Non Uniformed: HK USP Compact .40 LEM.

penates
11-19-13, 20:52
It seems there are at least 3 of us here. Green or blue, or maybe tan? (I'm blue BTW.)

Green.

piedrarc
11-21-13, 01:02
Large State agency approx 7000 sworn. S&W 4006, 870's and a mix of Colts and Bushy M16/AR types being slowly replaced by new Sig M400's with 14.5 inch barrels.
On duty you shall carry the 4006, off duty whatever you want.

KenpoTex
11-21-13, 19:07
Small county (around 70 road deputies).

Issued sidearm is the G19 w/Streamlight TLR-1/1s. You're allowed to change the sights if you want. Duty ammo and training ammo are provided. (for quals and dept. mandated training only at this point).

Personal handguns can be carried provided they're either a Glock in 9, .40, or .45; or a 1911 off an approved list. If you carry anything except a 9mm, you provide your own ammo for duty use, qualification, and training. If you carry anything but a mid-size glock (19 or 23) you have to provide your own holster, mags, pouches, etc.

Long guns: 870 12-gauge and AR's are provided. AR's are currently Rock River although from what I've heard, they're ordering SIGs for the next batch. Personal long-guns are also allowed...shotguns off an approved list (Rem., Winchester, Mossberg, benelli, FN, etc.). Rifles must be an AR in 5.56/.223 from a "high quality manufacturer" (don't get me started).

theblackknight
11-21-13, 21:43
370+ dudes in a city PD.

M&P 45 with thumb safety in SL tripple retention holsters for uniformed.
SWAT get's g35's, other specialized get g23s or 36's.

Can't use personal guns what so ever for pistol.

Our patrol rifle program is actually pretty liberal and our armorers are squared away dudes.

Code3Patriot
11-21-13, 21:52
Recently retired (medical - service connected disability) from a large sheriff's office of 1,000+ sworn.

SIG P226R .357 with CT Grips is the standard issue, P229R/CT Grip .357 is optional for females and/or and those who choose the slightly smaller weapon. Various weapon lights are approved. Duty and training ammo is provided for service weapon.

Off-duty is anything between .380 to .45 that the deputy can qualify with. Training/carry ammo not provided.

johnson8228
11-21-13, 22:12
Large agency. Sig 226 in 9mm. Sig 239 bug in 9mm.

GYates
11-21-13, 22:24
Medium size municipal agency. All officers are issued Gen 4 Glock 17's. Officers who want them are issed 14 inch 870's also. Patrol rifles are authorized. They are private purchased. Most are Colt's, LMT's, DD's. There are a few other misc brands floating around. SWAT is isssued select fire LMT's MRP's with T-1's and AAC suppressors. Plain clothes guys mostly carry the 17's. 19's and 26's are authorized but not purchased. There is talk they are buying some of those to issue in the future. Qualification is 2 times per year. We will add a night/low light qual starting next year. Duty ammo is provided. No open range days. Practice ammo can be be had if you ask the right person. We also allow officers to buy ammo at the contract price when the Dept. ammo is purchased.

jpmuscle
11-21-13, 22:36
Ok quick aside because this is gnawing at me. For those of you in agencies/departments that seem to be more with the times when it comes to firearms/training AND allow the use of personally owned rifles for patrol use for the love of all things holy are any of you hiring?? All of the entities in my area are still operating in 1983 it seems lol.

But seriously pm me if you are.

Sent from my DROID X2

arcticlightfighter
11-22-13, 08:54
Smaller Minneapolis metro agency, we issue GLOCK 22 .40. We authorize 9mm, .40 and .45 duty weapons that I approve. Currently, GLOCK and M&P are the predominant models with .40 and 9mm being the most common. (I carry and HK P30 9mm LITE/LEM) and a couple of SIG classic thrown in. Off duty and BUG, I require a minimum caliber of .380.

Squad car carbine is a S&W AR15 16" with AIMPOINT M4 and Surefire 500 series forend lite (Cop proof optic and light) Im looking at replacing the barrels with 12" BCM BBL's when I can find it in the budget.
SWAT has LE6934 11.5" entry guns with AIMPOINT PRO's or approved EOTECH or Aimpoint. I fortunately am in a position that allows me to authorize accessories and optics for duty firearms.

I issue FEDERAL HST ammo. 147 gr. 9mm, 180 gr. .40 and 230 gr. .45

A-of-1
11-22-13, 17:45
400 Deputies. Glock B32 357 Sig

jhurt
11-22-13, 21:55
Semi-aside..the last time I went to the Glock armorer class the instructor was really pushing the 45 GAP..."Everyone is switching to it"..."We can't keep em in stock"..."It's the best thing since sliced bread" blah blah blah. Incidentally I don't know of ANY departments in my area (suburban Chicago) that use it and I've never seen one in person. Does anyone actually use one of these things?
And to follow along with the topic...(although we are small dept) Glock 22 for patrol and Glock 27 for detectives/admin. Rifles are a mix of RRA, Smith/Wesson M&P and DRMO Colt
M16A1 with semi selector installed. Personally owned rifles are approved along with most non-magnified optics and I am in a position to heavily influence whether a rifle is "good enough". I've seen some junk that ain't...

jpmuscle
11-22-13, 22:18
Semi-aside..the last time I went to the Glock armorer class the instructor was really pushing the 45 GAP..."Everyone is switching to it"..."We can't keep em in stock"..."It's the best thing since sliced bread" blah blah blah. Incidentally I don't know of ANY departments in my area (suburban Chicago) that use it and I've never seen one in person. Does anyone actually use one of these things?
And to follow along with the topic...(although we are small dept) Glock 22 for patrol and Glock 27 for detectives/admin. Rifles are a mix of RRA, Smith/Wesson M&P and DRMO Colt
M16A1 with semi selector installed. Personally owned rifles are approved along with most non-magnified optics and I am in a position to heavily influence whether a rifle is "good enough". I've seen some junk that ain't...

Aside from the NYSP I'm not aware of anyone but then again they pushed it's development because they wanted to be different (yawn..).

Sent from my DROID X2

Psalms144.1
11-22-13, 22:22
jhurt - there are several agencies issuing the .45 GAP - Florida Highway Patrol and New York State Police being two that come immediately to mind. I've spoken with a couple of people whom I trust implicitly, who seem to like the GAP for what it is - a .45 ACP performing caliber that can be squeezed into a human sized grip.

Personally, I see it as an answer to a question no one asked, but I tend to be a bit conservative on caliber selection - all my semis (except for my issued Sig) are 9mm or .45 ACP...

Regards,

Kevin

Psalms144.1
11-22-13, 22:23
Aside from the NYSP I'm not aware of anyone but then again they pushed it's development because they wanted to be different (yawn..).

Sent from my DROID X2And it was KILLING Gaston that there was a .40 "Smith & Wesson" and a .357 "Sig", but nothing with his name attached... I'll never forget the first time I went to the Glock Armorer's Course and had to sit through four hours of "why Gaston Glock is the savior of the firearms industry" history lesson. I've got a big ego, but that guy makes me look humble as Gandhi.

Regards,

Kevin

tusk212
11-23-13, 09:46

PA State Police did but recently switched to the Gen4 21.

naloxone
11-23-13, 12:14
Our state's major agency (1300 man) recently went from SIG P229 .40 to the P220R .45. With the caliber change, duty ammo shifted from 165gr Hydrashok to 230gr HST. Duty ammo is provided in small amounts, usually can't snag more than 2-3 boxes to keep around. Training ammo is provided at the range during annual qual, primarily reloads that the retiree volunteers at the range cook up. The only exception is the guys on the tac unit carry their locally made custom 1911's.

There is a short list of approved BUG's and you have to provide ammo for carry and qual if you want to carry one. Rifles or shotguns can be drawn from the barracks if there is one available to issue you. Short list of approved personally owned rifles or shotguns, again, providing your own ammo for carry and training, though if you qualify with a personal rifle, the range guys will usually throw you a few boxes of the dept issue 55gr Ranger PSP.

.45fmjoe
11-23-13, 19:38
Largest in the country, ~45,000 sworn agents and officers. We carry the HK P2000 LEM in .40 S&W.

.45fmjoe
11-23-13, 19:43

We switched to the 180 gr this year. ;)

Ironically, my pistol shit the bed the first time I qualified with the new ammo. Broken flat spring and they pulled it out of service, to be sent to Harpers Ferry. Sucks, that was a brand new firearm when it was issued to me at FLETC.

suffocation23
11-28-13, 23:14
Small agency, they issue Glock G22 (Gen4 is current issue), Colt LE6920 to SWAT and patrol Supervisors, Remington 870, and I have a Remington 700P. We have access to a local indoor range (indoor pistol & shotgun only). Our agency provides practice ammo.

tpevan
11-28-13, 23:36
Ok quick aside because this is gnawing at me. For those of you in agencies/departments that seem to be more with the times when it comes to firearms/training AND allow the use of personally owned rifles for patrol use for the love of all things holy are any of you hiring?? All of the entities in my area are still operating in 1983 it seems lol.

But seriously pm me if you are.

Sent from my DROID X2

My dept allows personally owned ARs...and is hiring steadily. ;)

To answer the main question at hand....

Large agency. Municipality. Approx 800 sworn.

Department issue is all Glock in Gen3 and Gen4 flavor...G17, G19, G21, G22, G23. Different calibers allowed based on what suits you.

We also allow some personals, among those are XDs and 1911s, subcompact Glocks, a few Sigs as well.

Department will provide duty ammunition for any department issued or personal firearm on the "approved" list so long as you maintain your qualification with it.

Department provides monthly allotment of ammunition for practice at our own range. The range is essentially a M-F operation...show up as you please and use whichever range is available. Also have four quarterly shoots per year.

As far as ARs go, you have to go through the patrol rifle school and shoot the AZPOST rifle qual. Department issues Colt LE6920s and LE6720s. You can also bring a personal, but it basically better have stock internal components, be from a "quality" manufacturer, and has to be approved by range personnel. Rails, lights, stocks, etc are up essentially up to you. SBRs are GTG. Must have Aimpoint and BUIS. Basically any quality USGI 30rd mag is approved as well as PMAGs. You must also complete the AZPOST qual with it.

Must also complete four quarterly shoots with your AR. Department has monthly allotments of ammunition for rifles and issues as many duty rounds as you can fit in mags....within reason.

dragonsfire311
12-08-13, 19:14
Glock 22 (gen 3 some gen 4's). Polk County Sheriffs Office, Polk County Fl

spencer_okc
12-08-13, 20:52
My hometown is a metro agency in SW United States, 1000+ officers.

Issue GEN 4 Glock 17.

Transitioned from S&W model 15s to Glock 17s about 25 years ago. Then about 13 years ago changed to Glock 22. Added weapon-mounted lights several years later, and after a couple years of recurring, unresolved failure-to-feed issues with WML equipped Glock 22s, the department switched back to Glock 17s. This is before the GEN4 release. Glock 22 and 23 were removed from approved weapons list, and all Glock 22 & 22 pistols were replaced by Glock. Officer's choice of Glock 17, 21, or 21SF.

Agency allows personally owned firearms in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP for primary carry (along with .38SPC & .357 Magnum). HK, Sig, Smith, Glock, Beretta, Ruger, and Springfield are approved, but no 1911 format pistols.

Rifle program is fairly new and limited, but there are hopes for expansion. Department issues nicely equipped Rock River rifles.

Tactical Unit team members are issued HK G36K rifles.

RWH24
12-09-13, 01:23
Your Agency seems to have a very progressive weapons policy/program. Thank you for sharing this information.

Roy
12-12-13, 15:17
not sure if this is what you are looking for but, My place has around 125 sworn officers, we buy our own guns

Glock hand gun 19,17, 23,22,21 all approved for duty use. 26/27/30 by special request for plain clothes. smith wheel guns also allowed
Remington 870 shotguns can be checked out or purchased
Colt 6920 carbines may be purchased 6933 issued to swat and some old SP1's are available to be checked out

fivestar51
12-13-13, 14:46
Department of approximately 60 deputies. Only handgun for duty is an issued G22 with 180gr Hydra-shok. Off duty is anything from .380 up, although only specified ammo can be used at our own cost. Patrol rifles include a few department owned Stag's, or personally owned rifles.

There is talk that our new boss may be switching to M&P 40's in the next year or so, but that now seems unlikely to me. We are just now in the process of getting replacement parts for our Glock's. These things are 15+ yrs old, and are constantly failing on the range. One of us is gonna get killed in a worst case scenario. Only God has kept us safe, but I fear even His patience is running thin...

tusk212
12-22-13, 22:43
We just switched to the gen4 Glock 21 loaded with 230 gr HST's. We also started issuing streamlight tlr-1 hl's.

NCPatrolAR
12-23-13, 06:53
1800 officers in the dept. full size M&Ps chambered in .40 for patrol and most detectives. SWAT has G21SFs in addition to their carbines and other tools. Only long gun carried by patrol is 14" 870s

austinN4
12-23-13, 08:50
Texas DPS to start issuing S&W M&P 9's: http://www.khou.com/news/national/237007441.html

believeraz
12-23-13, 10:25

Thank You
RWH24

Agency of over 1500 sworn in a large metro area.

Standard: Gen3 Glock 21 (.45acp)
Alternatives: 22 or 17.
Duty ammo is Speer GDHP. +p 200gr in .45, 165gr in .40, and 124+p in 9mm.

We have open range facilities are not in maintenance or use.

We provide a monthly training allowance of ammo. It has been seriously restricted for the past year due to market shortages. I believe current allowance is 5 buck/5 slug, 50 rds for duty pistol and an additional 50 for an off duty gun, and 30 5.56. Normal quantities were 100 per duty/off duty gun, 20 shotgun, 100 5.56, 50 for BUG. Hopefully we can return to normal soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

RWH24
12-23-13, 10:52
Very good info and glad your agency is pro on monthly allotment for practice.

Oh and THANKS for the info on Tx DPS making change to M&P 9mm.

The Gold Dot and Federal HST +p 124gr ammo is nearly identical to 357 Sig ballistics. for less money!

More bang for buck.

okie john
03-12-14, 18:30
I was talking with a buddy about which departments carry which pistols. Neither of us had a conclusive list, so I’m looking for information about what major agencies carry. Any ideas? Just need a rough idea, not detailed lists.

Los Angeles PD

Los Angeles County SD

San Francisco PD

New York PD

Baltimore PD

Philadelphia PD

Boston PD

Atlanta PD

Miami-Dade SO

Dallas PD

Thanks,

Okie John

RyanB
03-12-14, 18:56
Baltimore has Glocks in .40.

NYPD has 3rd Gen smiths, Glock 19s and Sig P226.

LAPD has Glocks, might still have some Berettas.

Voodoo_Man
03-12-14, 19:10
Philadelphia PD - Glock Gen3's, all 9mm's (except 34's), full size, compact and "practical tactical" .40 and fullsize compact .45's

sierra 223
03-12-14, 19:20
Dallas PD issues SIG 226 9mm, but also allows privately purchased Glock and SIG in 9 or .357.
Some Beretta 92 F models that were grandfathered during the transition from revolvers to autos are still around.

ST911
03-12-14, 19:26
Threads merged.

Pumpkinheaver
03-12-14, 21:07
My small town issues SIG P220s. Most agencies around here use Glock 22s.

walkin' trails
03-13-14, 06:52
Atlanta apparently issued M&P 40s as I see some Glock distributor had a bunch if them for sale. Think I heard they were going to Glocks.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

JeremyW
03-15-14, 14:29
I work for the Lansing (Michigan) Police Department. We have over two hundred Sworn Officers. Back in 1996 when I first started, we were issued Glock (9mm) 17 and 19 to everyone. Before that S&W 6 shot .357 (I don't recall the model). Then in 1999 we went to Glock (.40cal) 22 and 23. In 2010 we went to Glock 21sf (.45cal). Everyone carries the Glock 21sf, unless you are in the Detective Bureau or undercover unit (other options). S.T.A.R.T. also carries Glock 21sf. We are issued Safariland ALS Level III Retention Hi Gloss Holsters along with matching duty belt equipment. We can also opt for the Bianchi Nylon Web Gear which is also issued.

As far as the range goes, we can go shoot anytime there is a Range Officer present. We can shoot as much department practice ammo as we want. Duty ammo is also provided. We qualify twice a year with both duty pistol and Colt M4. Every month we are assigned to the range for various training regarding pistol skills and rifle skills.

Also, we can carry a weapon light mounted but have to qualify with it on. The only drawback is that we have to buy our own light/holster (Streamlight or Surefire +Safariland ALS Holster) to accommodate the weapon light mounted to our Glock 21sf. Not a big deal.

RWH24
03-15-14, 15:09
Very good info and agency equipment JeremyW. Thank You.

This thread has slowed down, but has lots of great information from a lot of different states, cities and counties. There is also a show of the FED agencies and differences in equipment issued from agency to agency.
Great that a one size does not fit all agents.

Gentleart
03-15-14, 16:32
Make, Model and Caliber? Choice of Glock 22/23 for patrol, Glock 27 for detectives. We just switched to GEN4's and we use Speer Gold Dots.

Is there any adaptation for males/females. small hands with gripping a large weapon?Other then the new GEN4 grip mods, no.
Any consideration to caliber and the ability to control recoil by smaller/less strong personnel? No
Does your agency have practice range days or open range?No range at all
Agency provided or you must provide your own practice ammo?Provide our own

We qualify twice a year, they provide the ammo for that. Small agency, small budget, it is what it is.

TurretGunner
03-15-14, 21:23
Baltimore has Glocks in .40.

NYPD has 3rd Gen smiths, Glock 19s and Sig P226.

LAPD has Glocks, might still have some Berettas.

My brother is going through BMORE City Accademy right now. .40 glocks with 8 pound connectors. All off duty guns (have to be a .40 glock so 23 or 27) have to have 8lb connector as well.

LoboTBL
03-16-14, 04:14
Houston PD does not issue. All weapons are personally owned. At one time we could carry whatever revolver/pistol we wanted after 1st year so long as it was >.38 or 9mm. Mid 90's went to .40 S&W only and from an approved list of models unless grandfathered. Recently added .45ACP back to approved list but alas, no 1911. Sig, Glock, S&W. I personally carried P229 first year, then P220 and recently went with Glock 21. Off duty carry is open to preference so long as caliber is >.380 and >5 round capacity.

TXinfidel
03-16-14, 08:03
Over 1500 sworn officers, Issue Gen4 G17s with Speer GoldDot 124+p, SWAT is shooting in Gen4 G35s with 180gr GoldDot.

Surf
03-16-14, 12:59
Major Metro PD of ~2000 sworn.

Make, Model and Caliber... Currently transitioning the Dept to the Gen4 G17. Duty ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124gr. Myself and 2 of my instructors have been hijacked, err tasked to assist with the transition for the next 6 months. We will be doing half of the dept while the training division does the other half. Two, 2 day courses per week so I see 40 new Gen4's per week.

Is there any adaptation for males/females. small hands with gripping a large weapon? The most current Gen4's with beavertail and standard backstrap options.

Any consideration to caliber and the ability to control recoil by smaller/less strong personnel? Yes, but I have no lack of confidence in modern 9mm ammo.

Does your agency have practice range days or open range? Yes. Range space available at our outdoor facility.

Agency provided or you must provide your own practice ammo? Minimal amounts of ammo is provided if available, but many need to bring their own.

My particular unit is switching over to the Gen4 G21 and 230gr Speer Gold Dot. 3 holsters, mag pouches and weapon lights are in. Pistols are about 6 weeks out. Ammo is another issue. Anyone here from ATK who can help me out, please PM me.

samuse
03-16-14, 13:39
Over 1500 sworn officers, Issue Gen4 G17s with Speer GoldDot 124+p, SWAT is shooting in Gen4 G35s with 180gr GoldDot.

Weren't ya'll using M&Ps a couple years ago?

TXinfidel
03-16-14, 13:44
Sheriff. APD is still using M&P40s

Weren't ya'll using M&Ps a couple years ago?

Voodoo_Man
03-16-14, 13:48
My particular unit is switching over to the Gen4 G21 and 230gr Speer Gold Dot. 3 holsters, mag pouches and weapon lights are in. Pistols are about 6 weeks out. Ammo is another issue. Anyone here from ATK who can help me out, please PM me.

Why to 21's?

I've carried a 21 for a few years and I'm going back to a 17 in a bit.

the puma
03-16-14, 13:52
930 sworn.
Glock 17 or 19. Glock 26 optional for command staff and non uniform assignments.