PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 West German Questions

DontCome2MyHouse
09-15-13, 15:24
I've always wanted a P226 and I recently came across an almost new in the box P226 West German manufactured in 1989. No holster wear marks. All parts are matching all original mags. Box has everything still in it including the original test target from the factory. Original owner.

Asking price $575 cash.

The only concern I have is I noticed it has an internal extractor. I'm not a huge fan of internal extractors. What's your guys opinion? Reliability wise I go for external extractors every time, but it's hard to resist this W. GERMANY marking.

Do all West German made P226 have internal extractors? What year did Sig switch over to the external design?

Also, besides the extractor, how different internally is this 1989 P226 vs new ones made today?

Sent from my Droid MAXX

sierra 223
09-15-13, 15:34
Not sure what a good price would be, but those are great guns.

Don't give the internal extractor a 2nd thought.

aguila327
09-15-13, 15:59
There are a few differences.

Milled slide on new P series pistols vs. rolled on the. West German pistols.

As you discovered, internal extractors. As far as I know none of the west german pistols have external extractors.

Stainless steel slide vs non stainless on the West German weapons.

Do the changes make a difference? In my opinion not much. I own both and have shot extensively with each. My first duty issue was a P226 9mm in 1989. West German manufacture. Besides having to keep an eye out for rust on the slide, especially after wet weather I only had one major malfunction. That was a broken roll pin holding the breech block in the slide.

I had about 7, 000 rounds through the weapon when it crapped out but it was an easy fix and showed me how important it is to follow a goid maintenance schedule.

On my newer US made 226, it is chambered in 357sig. We had two malfunctions since we got them in 2001. It appeared that the trigger bars had some kind of metallurgical issues. Sig jumped on it and they sent a rep over and we changed everyone of them (130 weapons). No rusting issues on the new slides.

Overall I have found the QC on the newer sigs hit & miss. While the West german guns seemed to be consistent down to the last detail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DontCome2MyHouse
09-15-13, 16:05
If I did buy it would it be a good idea to send it to Sig for inspection and parts replacement (if needed)? Does Sig USA still offer internal extractor parts for older pistols?

Sent from my Droid MAXX

sierra 223
09-15-13, 16:28
Agree with everything aguila 327 said.

The only improvements on the new ones as far as I am concerned is that the finish holds up better on the new ones and they don't rust as much.

I like the grip on the new ones better also, but other wise the old ones are better quality in my opinion of carrying both for years.

aguila327
09-15-13, 17:03
If I did buy it would it be a good idea to send it to Sig for inspection and parts replacement (if needed)? Does Sig USA still offer internal extractor parts for older pistols?

Sent from my Droid MAXX

Sig still services the West German weapons. If you check out their website they frequently offer an armorer inspection and parts replacement package. Usually about $125 if I remember correctly.

I would check my local gunsmiths to see if they can offer similar work for less $$.

aguila327
09-15-13, 17:04
Agree with everything aguila 327 said.

The only improvements on the new ones as far as I am concerned is that the finish holds up better on the new ones and they don't rust as much.

I like the grip on the new ones better also, but other wise the old ones are better quality in my opinion of carrying both for years.

Thanks. I forgot about the newer grip options.

Grand58742
09-16-13, 03:10
Sig will work on the older internal extractors no problem. I bought a W German marked one (an oddity, will get to that in a moment) and had the Sig Service Package done and put on the E2 grip. Here's the list of price options:

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/CUSTOMSHOP_pricelist_April13.pdf

Any older West German marked gun can be done with the "modern" enhancements like the SRT and E2 grip installation.

The older West German/German marked guns will have the proof marks under the front of the slide which will tell you year of production:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262

I have an odd one that's marked "Made in W Germany" with the internal extractor but the proof marks (KF) indicate it was made in 1995, well after reunification. Even the Custom Shop guys at Sig said "that's not possible" until they saw it and scratched their heads. But still did the service package without question.

$575 is a good price for a good condition German marked Sig. I'd probably snag it up at that price.

brickboy240
09-16-13, 11:02
From my experiences with three W. German SIG pistols...I would not worry. You probably will not be having much "work" done on them.

My P228 is probably the most trouble free pistol I own next to my 2nd gen G17. My P228 was made in 1991 and the thing flat out runs.

Buy with confidence...

-brickboy240

DontCome2MyHouse
09-16-13, 17:22
Sig will work on the older internal extractors no problem. I bought a W German marked one (an oddity, will get to that in a moment) and had the Sig Service Package done and put on the E2 grip. Here's the list of price options:

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/CUSTOMSHOP_pricelist_April13.pdf

Any older West German marked gun can be done with the "modern" enhancements like the SRT and E2 grip installation.

The older West German/German marked guns will have the proof marks under the front of the slide which will tell you year of production:

I have an odd one that's marked "Made in W Germany" with the internal extractor but the proof marks (KF) indicate it was made in 1995, well after reunification. Even the Custom Shop guys at Sig said "that's not possible" until they saw it and scratched their heads. But still did the service package without question.

$575 is a good price for a good condition German marked Sig. I'd probably snag it up at that price.

I'm not really sure (if I purchase) what direction I want to go with the pistol...old-school original safe queen or a carry pistol. I already have a Walther PPQ which is outright amazing.

If I do enhancements like the SRT, E2 Grip, and a new durable rust-proof coating....how much will that hurt the value?

What about if I were to just get it re-coated?

Grand58742
09-16-13, 19:45
I'm not really sure (if I purchase) what direction I want to go with the pistol...old-school original safe queen or a carry pistol. I already have a Walther PPQ which is outright amazing.

If I do enhancements like the SRT, E2 Grip, and a new durable rust-proof coating....how much will that hurt the value?

What about if I were to just get it re-coated?

I'm not sure how much it will up the resale value if much. Maybe another $100 on top at most if its factory installed is what I might pay. Certainly won't hurt the value.

Maverick07
09-16-13, 21:32
When I broke in LE the Sig was all the rage and for several years I carried either the P226 and P228 with the stamped slides and internal extractors. Our department made available individual officer purchases and most of our department carried Sigs before we switched wholesale to Glocks. The switch to Glocks at that time was not a popular choice, and it was due to factors other than weapon performance and durability.

The internal extractor was and is a non-issue in terms of reliability. It is a well vetted design. We put thousands of rounds down range and had few issues of any kind with the West German pistols. I do recall a few surface rusting complaints and night sight ampule burn outs, but that was about it.

If I recall any issues with Sigs began to surface with the switch to the American made stainless steel slides with external extractors, as well as the philosophy changes in the recent years. The West German weapons were and are still outstanding side arms. If your potential purchase has been a safe queen then I doubt you will have any issues of significance. Have it inspected and then shoot the hell out it like it was intended.

LMT Shooter
09-17-13, 00:04
I don't know what old 226's are currently going for, but it sounds like a steal to me. You will not be dissapointed in the gun, compared to a current one, I have both & prefer the older ones.

The external extractor is a plus to some, but that's beyond my scope of knowledge. Allegedly, it it more durable.

You can get a parts kit from SIG with (I think) all springs & the roll pins for the breechblock. Easy to install yourself or have a local gunsmith do it for you. Other than that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

bigmerv
09-17-13, 12:27
A LNIB W German 226 for 575 is a damn good price as those are bulletproof, I have one.

jonbondave
09-17-13, 13:17

Germany reunified in 1990. But Sig had lots of slides already made, so until about 1995 (KF) they still said W. Germany on them. Some of the P220 line had the W. stamped over with the Sauer emblem. I think 1996 and late 95 guns were probably the first to say Made in Germany. Every gun between 1990 and 1994 said W. Germany.

Grand58742
09-17-13, 14:45
Germany reunified in 1990. But Sig had lots of slides already made, so until about 1995 (KF) they still said W. Germany on them. Some of the P220 line had the W. stamped over with the Sauer emblem. I think 1996 and late 95 guns were probably the first to say Made in Germany. Every gun between 1990 and 1994 said W. Germany.

So they made the slides and later proof marked them?

Interesting.

jonbondave
09-17-13, 14:55
So they made the slides and later proof marked them?

Interesting.

Correct, pretty standard procedure, manufacturer builds a batch of major components in anticipation of an order needing fullfillment, etc. The guns don't get proofed until final assembly once they are assembled they are sent to the proof house in Kiel for proofing, then I imagine they are finished, test fired for factory target and greased up and placed in boxes for their trip over the atlantic.

rauchman
09-17-13, 16:18

I believe this is true, as mine is a '96 and says Germany, not W Germany. My buddy purchased his in '94 and it says W Germany.