PDA

View Full Version : Your HK P2000 experiences

Crow Hunter
09-16-13, 08:25
I have been itching to get a new gun. :D

I have been leaning towards getting a DA gun with a hammer to try out for a while now. (I used to have several years ago but none now) I am looking for something near to the size of my Glock 19.

The HK P2000 is in the lead right now the the Beretta 92F Compact a close second.

HK P2000s are pretty rare around my parts and I don't know anyone who owns one or even where one might be for me to fondle but I know some of you guys do and I would like your experiences with it.

What do you like about it?

What do not like about it?

If I get the LEM and don't like it, is it user convertible to DA/SA or vice versa?

Have you had any issues with the integrated lock?

Can it be removed or permanently disabled if not removed?

Any issue finding magazines?

How does it carry for you?

Thanks for your time.

ralph
09-16-13, 11:04
I've had one for some time..(light LEM) No, a lem gun cannot be converted to DA/SA (frames are different) Mags are reasonable, Grant, for example has them usually they're around $30-35, HKUSA is also a good place to get mags and parts, usually they're much cheaper than say, HKparts.net.. I really don't have any complaints with it. I would recommend installing a HK45 mag release on it as it's larger, interchanges, easier to use. I'm considering having Trijicon HD's installed I have them on my P-30, and I do like them. Size wise it's about like a G19,and is easy to carry. It's no slouch in the accuracy dept either, I think you'll like it. I've never had a issue with the lock, It'd been unlocked from day one, and has never been a problem, as to whether or not it could be disabled I don't know. I haven't had a issue with it so, I don't see any reason to.

Psalms144.1
09-16-13, 11:52
Crow Hunter - I have a P2000 with "standard" LEM that I lightened a little by adding the reduced power FPB spring (a job that took all of 10 minutes and one punch to accomplish). I bought the pistol to replace the G19(s) I had been shooting almost exclusively for the six years prior to making the switch. I've been shooting it pretty much exclusively (less required semi-annual quals with my issued P229, my P30 and G19), and these are my thoughts:

- Reliability - I have several thousand rounds of various types of 9mm through this pistol to date, and I bought it used, so I can't vouch for the age of its internals. It has fed, fired, and ejected everything I've fed it without a single bauble, even when I "limp wrist" it
- Accuracy - this was my biggest worry before buying the pistol, given it's fairly short barrel and sight radius. All I can say is that this little thing outshoots every Glock I've ever owned, including some G34s. With my Glocks, I would REALLY have to work hard at the 25 yard line, especially doing accuracy intensive drills like "the Humbler." With the P2000, I can now confidently take and make shots on "low probability" targets that would have made me all twitterpaited with a Glock. When I miss with my P2000, I can ALWAYS call the miss, and usually predict within an inch or where I threw it...
- Ergonomics - the P2000 frame "feels" good in my hand, and the grip angle is such that it points very naturally, unlike the G19. The grip isn't as "comfy" as the P30's "spiderman" grip, but I have no trouble with it either, and it doesn't suffer from any assinine "finger grooves" that need to be dremeled off.

Neutral:
- Size - the pistol is very compact, while still offering plenty of space for all of my fat fingers to maintain contact with the grip. Using the "finger" floorplate on the magazines gives a very nice "shelf" for my pinky to rest on, but I prefer the flat base magazines. Unfortunately, this size package comes at a reduction in magazine capacity over the G19 - 13 rounds versus 15
- Weight - a little heavier than my G19, especially with the metal (vice polymer) magazine - but definitely not a chore to carry all day every day, even in shorts
- Trigger - The LEM is NOT as fast as the Glock's safe action, when going for raw speed. My "splits" with my G19, at the peak of my training, were in the .15-18 range, while maintaining decent accuracy (all rounds on a 5" circle at 5-7 yards). HOWEVER, my "splits" with the LEM are in the .18-.21 range, while maintaining the same accuracy - so this is a "price" I'm willing to pay for vastly improved accuracy in deliberate shooting. Also, I'm in full agreement with Nyeti's assessment that the LEM is possibly the best "street" trigger for LE types, like myself, who spend a lot more time pointing guns at people that shooting guns at people...
- Magazines - as stated above, capacity is lower than competitively sized pistols, and the magazines are "more expensive" than Glock magazines - but certainly not outrageous. I'm paying about $30-35/magazine on the open market for P2000 mags - or about $5/mag more than "retail" on Glock magazines. P2000 magazines are harder to find, and seem to hit shelves in "waves," so when they're available, I tend to jump on several at a time.

Dislikes:
- Accessories - the P2000, despite having been the "co-winner" of the DHS competition years ago, is the "red headed step child" of the HK line. There are a limited number of companies making NS for it, even Meprolight, who offers a variety of color combinations for the P30 and USP, only offers "one size fits all (green-green 3-dot) for the P2000. Trijicon is now marketing the HDs, but Ameriglo won't even discuss making sights for it (they address the USP only for some reason). Likewise, holsters can be a little tough - even though most people make holsters for the USP or the P30/HK45 family, for some reason, the P2000 gets little love...
- Parts - not specific to the P2000, all HK repair/replacement parts are SPENDY. Be prepared to drop a bunch of money when you have to do routine spring replacement. Some parts are also hard to find, and HKUSA simply doesn't seem to have much control (or visibility) over when parts will be available.

As Ralph pointed out, unlike the USP and HK45 series of pistols, trigger groups are not interchangeable on the P2000/P30 series, so if you buy a LEM, you're stuck with it. You CAN have the DA/SA converted to LEM, but this conversion is, IIRC, not officially condoned by HK.

All in all, I'm VERY fond of the P2000 LEM, and I doubt you'll be disappointed as long as you're willing to take the time to learn the trigger system...

Regards,

Kevin

Crow Hunter
09-16-13, 13:16
Thanks guys, very helpful.

So it looks like I would need to go LEM or DA/SA from the start. I have owned several DA/SA guns over the years and I don't really have a problem with them although I do much prefer a Glock trigger with the NY1 modification to a DA/SA with Sig being the one I am most familiar with.

Can you/do you decock the LEM?

Does it even have a decocker?

Is there even a notch in the hammer to hold it at full cock or does it follow back down to the "semi-cocked" position and the "un-cocked" position being a standard DA pull?

Will it damage the mechanism to thumb the hammer back, if that is even possible? (I assume not on both:D)

Kevin, since you have A LOT of experience with both Glock/Sig and now the HK. Do you prefer the LEM to the Sig DA/SA transition? I have less volume than you but I am similar in that I am mostly a Glock shooter that learned to shoot automatics on a Taurus/Beretta DA then moved to Sig and finally Glock. I still have access to and regularly dryfire/shoot a Sig P226.

Since I will have to pick one or the other (and probably order sight unseen), do you think it is better to go DA/SA, which I am familiar with, or jump right into the LEM? If so, which version?

I did used to own a USP40 back in the late 1990s. I didn't really have a complaint with it. I found the trigger to have a strange spongy "boingy" feeling versus my Sigs that I had at the time and because it was so big, I didn't shoot it that much. But not really any more distracting than the "sproing" of a Glock.:D

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Psalms144.1
09-16-13, 14:23
Crow Hunter - the LEM is "self decocking," and there is no manner to "cock" it manually. It's similar to a double action only trigger in that the hammer follows the slide forward after each shot. However, it's also like a SAO trigger in that the hammer is "pre-loaded" with most of the spring tension required to make it operate by the action of the slide - so all of the trigger action prior to the break is basically pulling against "slack." That's a horribly inelegant explanation, but it's a system that is truly unique.

My gut would normally tell me to have you stick with what you know, and go DA/SA. However, in this case there are two reasons I'm hesitant to do so. First and foremost, the DA trigger on the P2000 (like almost every other HK DA trigger) sucks hairy monkey balls. The DA on my HK45CT was in excess of 14 pounds, and gritty; I literally could not shoot WHO double action for more than about 50 rounds before my forearm and hands would start to cramp up. I doubt that the P2000's DA is that bad, but it might be, and you'd likely be pretty darned disappointed, especially coming from Sig. Second, the P-series decockers are small "nubs" on the back of the frame along the back face of the slide - and, as such, are unique from any other decocker you've likely worked with before. Not an insurmountable training obstacle, but something you need to think about going in.

Soooo - I hate to say it, but, since the HK is such a large financial investment, I REALLY think you should find a place where you can at least dry fire the pistol to get a feel for the different trigger characteristics. I came from Glock and DAK Sigs, so the consistent trigger on the LEM "works" better for me - but there was a learning curve to get to the point where I could run it well. Of the two options, I prefer the LEM. From a financial perspective, IF you get the LEM, I'd get the "V1" (light) LEM, which seems to have a much bigger market if you decide you can't live with it.

Regards,

Kevin

ralph
09-16-13, 14:25
It's hard to describe a LEM trigger on the 'net.. While considered a DA only set up, the reality is, it's a different animal.. No, the LEM doesn't have a decocker, you simply let the trigger forward and the hammer also goes forward.. the pistol can't fire unless the trigger is pulled, much like a Glock.The LEM hammer is actually a two piece affair, In reality when the slide is racked the "hammer" is cocked, when the trigger is pulled back the visible part of the hammer goes back, and when the trigger is pulled the hammer will go forward under pressure from the second part of the hammer within the frame..as I said it's hard for me to explain The LEM hammer is bobbed, so "thumbing" it back is difficult, what I do for dry fire practice is to pull the trigger enough to get my thumb on the hammer, and pull the hammer back and get the pistol in LEM mode, as far as I know, it doesn't hurt anything. There is no notch to hold the hammer back after the trigger is pulled, unlike a DA/SA trigger, the visible part hammer will go forward to I guess what you could call "uncocked" position, if the trigger is released, however the hammer is still cocked, even though it looks "uncocked". Because the hammer is cocked, the trigger pull is long, but very light, until it gets to the back of it's stroke and hits a wall, at that point, about 4.5 lbs of pull will trip the hammer, I hope I didn't confuse you more, The light LEM is a good setup I have it in my P-2000, P-30, and last week switched my HK45ct over to light LEM..I will say this, The LEM isn't for everyone, some people hate'em and some (like myself) take awhile to master it I think it's worth the effort..

Crow Hunter
09-16-13, 15:07
Thanks guys. I am definitely leaning towards the LEM option right now. But I will try my best to find both around here or at least the LEM. Most of the shops around here carry Sig, S&W and Glock with a smattering of Beretta here and there (usually if they carry Beretta shotguns). I know the owner of one up the road a ways. I can probably get him to order me one. But I hate not to buy it if I get him to go to the trouble of ordering it.

If you dryfire the LEM, can you pull the trigger a 2nd time or does it require you to reset the hammer like you have to reset the striker on the Glock?

Thanks again for helping me out.

rathos
09-16-13, 15:58
Had a DA/SA in .40. Didn't care for a round, loved the gun. The double action pull was extremely heavy. Single action was great. Extremely accurate. Mags were super easy to find as they are the same ones the USP compacts use. High thumb or thumbs forward can be a bit of a pain due to the long slide releases on the gun. The P2000 also has quite a bit more holsters available as it was adopted by some major federal agencies.

I like the LEM trigger quite a bit more though it throws some off at first. When you shoot LEM the first cocked shot is much like a single action pull. If you don't cycle the slide the shots become very heavy like a double action, so you do have a second strike capability.

ralph
09-16-13, 18:28
Thanks guys. I am definitely leaning towards the LEM option right now. But I will try my best to find both around here or at least the LEM. Most of the shops around here carry Sig, S&W and Glock with a smattering of Beretta here and there (usually if they carry Beretta shotguns). I know the owner of one up the road a ways. I can probably get him to order me one. But I hate not to buy it if I get him to go to the trouble of ordering it.

If you dryfire the LEM, can you pull the trigger a 2nd time or does it require you to reset the hammer like you have to reset the striker on the Glock?

Thanks again for helping me out.

You have to reset the hammer to put it in LEM mode when dry firing.. The heavy DA pull is there to keep the gun running in case something breaks and disables the LEM function.. Think of it as a backup system...

HKGuns
09-16-13, 19:12
My P2000SK 9mm alternates carry duty with my Smith model 60 and a couple of other pistols, depending on where I am going and what I am doing. I can add nothing that hasn't already been said and agree with most all of what has been said. Mine too is dead nuts reliable and an accurate little bugger too. I converted mine from LEM to light LEM with around $15 worth of parts and far more time to get the trigger return spring installed than I'd care to admit.

From 7 yards this wont win any bullseye competition, but is an example. There are a ton of folks who shoot better than I and some worse. This was my second trip to the range with mine.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v50/p2061126514-5.jpg

Amur
09-16-13, 19:26
It's my favorite all around handgun. I I could only have one it would be this.

Not the best shooter of all time, but 12rnd of 40 and pretty easy to carry. Havin owned G19/sig p229 etc I thi k it carries better than both.

Dead nuts reliable like most HK's.

I love LEM. Love the simplicity. No deck level, no Saftey, consistent trigger. Again the not the best shooting trigger ever, but very smooth and usable. It's great 40 trigger also as I don't feel like it needs a great single action as much as 9mm. (Not sure that makes sense. As in the split second difference between rounds is less relevent to slight higher recoil of 40)

I like my P30 better for pure shooting, my P2000sk for carry, but the P2000 is just an excellent all around hand gun.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-16-13, 20:29
Amazing general purpose pistol. Totally reliable.

loupav
09-17-13, 09:14
It's a great little pistol!!!

20,000 rounds and counting!

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/170871-break-my-p2000-lives.html

I love mine.

newyork
09-17-13, 09:20
It's a great little pistol!!!

20,000 rounds and counting!

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/170871-break-my-p2000-lives.html

I love mine.

I am definitely going to need a pic brotha.

jondoe297
09-17-13, 10:36
I had one about 5 years back, and it's at the top of the list of guns that I regret selling. It was incredibly accurate for having a short barrel.

Tomahawk_Ghost
09-17-13, 10:48
I got a new one in a trade a few years back. It's a DA/SA 40S&W. At my first range session my thoughts were.

"Wow this thing is accurate."

It is small enough to carry but big enough that you can grab it in a hurry. I still have the factory sights on the thing because there is not a Hackathorn type sight setup made for it. Still have my glocks but this gun is a cut above.

Up1911fan
09-17-13, 10:51
I got a new one in a trade a few years back. It's a DA/SA 40S&W. At my first range session my thoughts were.

"Wow this thing is accurate."

It is small enough to carry but big enough that you can grab it in a hurry. I still have the factory sights on the thing because there is not a Hackathorn type sight setup made for it. Still have my glocks but this gun is a cut above.

Trijicon has HD's for the P2000.

PSBT4117
09-17-13, 20:32
I have a .40 S&W P2000 in the "standard" LEM. Its the only .40 I own but it is one of my favorite H&K's. It handles the snappy round well. The LEM will take some training to get used to. The pistol conceals very very well with the right holster.

It has also been completely reliable for me with no issues. Holsters are out there as are sights. You just will need to do some digging online. It maybe the lesser known H&K but I think it is one of their best.

Gutshot John
09-17-13, 20:41
I'll never understand why HK doesn't make some of its old favorites.

I would soooo totally buy a P7 if they brought it back as something close to a reasonable price.

mrvip27
09-17-13, 21:57

I would soooo totally buy a P7 if they brought it back as something close to a reasonable price.

As much as I hear about those, that alone makes me want one.

kgwld1
09-18-13, 06:53
I own the p2000sk and wow lots of good points above really about what I would say. Mine has about 7500 rounds through it and is a very nice shooter.

Can't go wrong with p2000.

mrvip27
09-18-13, 14:23
I own the p2000sk and wow lots of good points above really about what I would say. Mine has about 7500 rounds through it and is a very nice shooter.

Can't go wrong with p2000.

Lem or v3?

HCM
09-18-13, 16:08

Cost vs market share - They could bring back the P7 but the cost would be ridiculous. It is one of the things that killed off the p7 in the first place.

HCM
09-18-13, 16:36
Crowhunter,

I recommend the P2000 LEM.

I carried the HK USP Compact 40 with V2 LEM as my duty and carry weapon for 8 years and put approximately 18k rounds of full power 155grain duty ammo through a pair of them. My Agency swapped out the first weapon at 10k rounds per policy. I had only one issue, a broken firing pin at about 6 -7k rounds. HK has since re-designed the FP and I had no issues with the second weapon. I held onto it as long as I could during my Agency's transition to SIGs but it would up going home with a co-worker after an OIS resulted in his issued HK being tied up as evidence.

I now have a personaly owned P2000 40 V2 LEM with about 2k through it.The P2000 addressed and improved the two issues I had with the USPC - the grip and the light rail. Conversion to V1 and a set of Trijicon HD "old man" sights for it are on my to do list.

I have a P30 LEM v1 as well but the P2000 carries better than the P-30for CCW - more like a G19.

gunnut284
09-18-13, 20:04
I have a P2000 .40 standard LEM and my experience mirrors much of that already stated by others. Good useful size, perfect reliability, excellent accuracy, good recoil characteristics. I was skeptical of the LEM, having disliked the Sig DAK I was stuck with for several years, but it has grown on me. It's easy to stage for accurate shots and a better first pull than a DA/SA.

kgwld1
09-18-13, 21:08
Mines the heavier LEM. In 40 off duty carry

mrvip27
09-18-13, 21:09
All this LEM talk makes me want to try out a P2000sk light lem.

RioGrandeGreen
09-21-13, 00:51
My recoil spring just broke on my P2000 after about 10K rounds. Good thing we have replacements. We have seen return trigger springs breaking at a regular rate on 6 year old guns.

Mauser KAR98K
09-21-13, 01:17
My recoil spring just broke on my P2000 after about 10K rounds. Good thing we have replacements. We have seen return trigger springs breaking at a regular rate on 6 year old guns.

What is considered as a "regular rate?"

RioGrandeGreen
09-21-13, 01:21
3-4 guns every 4 months during quals for the past 2-3 years. I did some preventative maintenance and replaced the return trigger spring but my recoil assembly broke! Wow! I have never seen one break. Just get some spare parts I guess. Just recently I did shoot a good amount of rounds though it.

gtmtnbiker98
09-21-13, 16:22
The TRS on the 'P' Series HK's should be replaced at ~6,500 rounds and/or dry fires. Cheap part, relatively easy to replace if you know what you are doing.

xray 99
09-21-13, 18:45
My P2000 9mm has become my favorite pistol. I love the size. The grip with a finger rest magazine is a touch longer than a G19. I can swap mags without pinching my palm. I think the LEM is a great action for self-defense. I found the .40 P2000 a bit much.

djegators
09-21-13, 20:13
I really like my P2000 (V2)...but sadly I don't care much for .40...so I going to find it a new home....

Great gun, accurate, easy to shoot, reliable, and not a bad trigger.

Magic_Salad0892
09-21-13, 23:49
My girlfriend carried one for like 3 years. V3. Great gun. I've shot it quite a bit. And my only complaints are aftermarket support, and lack of factory threaded barrel.

She went to the USP9C-V1. Happy with the transition.

Crow Hunter
09-23-13, 09:48
I went out this weekend to see if I could source one locally.

Nada, zilch.

I only saw one full size USP, unknown caliber and I think it was used, they also had one Beretta. Most of the rest of the "black guns" were Glock, M&P, Sig, Ruger and Taurus. They did have a couple of FNS's for $750 each...:eek:

I will have to widen my search. I might make a trip to a larger store this weekend and look around.

There just aren't very many HK's out there.

Just for fun I looked on Gunbroker.

Searching for HK I got 591 results for semi-auto pistols with 26 of them related to P2000 (there were 3X as many for USP)...

Same thing for just Glock 19 and I get 553 hits...:eek:

and 3646 hits for Glock and Semi-auto.

That definitely explains the dearth of options available in my little podunk town.

xjustintimex
09-23-13, 18:03
The trigger was very hard for me. IF I sandbagged my p2000 it was more accurate than my g19, but running drills like the humbler I just could not perform as well with it for some reason. I could not find or afford to get a ton of magazines, and finding sights that I liked was even harder. Eventually I would like to take another stab at the platform as it is an excellent pistol

Jupiter
09-23-13, 20:06
I found ken226s comments about the .40 caliber P-2000 interesting.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3650045333/p/3

jyo
09-26-13, 01:07
I've had an HK P2000 9mm (DA/SA) for several years now---bought used but mint so no real idea how many rds thru it. The pistol has been 100% reliable---very accurate---no parts breakage---carries nicely in an OWB Galco "Concealable" model holster---nice and tight to the body---grip is great---the trigger is really not as bad as you would think after reading reviews---DA is long but smooth and not so heavy---SA has a bit of take-up, but is overall very usable (OK, it's NOT a 1911)---It has become one of my very favorite pistols. If I had any issues, it would be a lack of an "S" model---ambi safety like my P30S 9mm. :cool:

TCB
09-26-13, 05:40
I'll put in my .02. My agency issues these (large Fed 21,000+ agents) and I've been carrying mine daily for the past year or so. Some background, I shoot a Wilson 1911 for USPSA and have had lots of trigger time with Glock, XD & M&P.

Pros:The P2000 .40cal (ours have the LEM) carries very good concealed, is very accurate, and has been stupidly reliable (1 FTF on the last round of a mag over 4600 rounds, no other mafunctions). These guns get handled rough by us and I don't really ever hear of issues with them. Holsters have bee pretty easy to find for me I run a Safariland SLS/ALS w X300U on duty and have a Crossbreed, a Xfer, a kydex holster from Contact!consealment, and a Galco bellyband for it so far.

Cons: Magazine capacity and sight radius for a duty gun leaves something to be desired. The LEM trigger takes some getting used to (the light version would be better or help with this?) it hits a wall before it breaks so for groups or at distance it is not ideal for me, for running at speed I don't really notice it at all. The magazine release also takes getting used to (I have and like it now) but the paddle is kind of small and sucks with gloves on.

Overall if I had to carry an H&K on duty and could choose which one it would be I'd choose the P30L with the LEM light trigger. This would address all the shortcomings of the P2000 I have with it as a duty weapon. As an off duty/consealed gun I'd swap out the mag paddle for the P30's run the LEM light trigger and be pretty happy with the P2000....unfortunately this is not an option for us.

But if I could run anything on duty it would be an M&P full size with APEX internals and a hand fitted match barrel....and the same in a compact off duty.

Crow Hunter
09-26-13, 07:08
Thanks guys for the link and the first hand info.

I am still looking around for one.

I am going to try to actually shoot one though before buying it and I will be going for the LEM as well.

I will be making a trip to Atlanta later in October, I am hoping they will be more likely to have a rental range that has either a P2000 or P30 that I can try out that LEM with.

I have also somewhat expanded my scope to include either a P30 or a USP 9C with LEM. Maybe I will be able to find one to try out.

Psalms144.1
09-26-13, 07:30
I just got my box from HK USA in the mail, and took about 2.5 minutes to install reduced power FPBS and hammer spring in my P2000 - to get the "V4 Todd Green" configuration (not a configuration offered or endorsed by HK, BTW). This is a middle ground between the standard LEM (which can be heavy) and the light LEM - while retaining a nice positive trigger reset (and not requiring 3 hands and a kabuki dance to replace the Trigger Return Spring). In terms of pull weight, it's much closer to the Light LEM than the standard, so a very nice compromise, IMHO. Overall, I have to say I'm VERY pleased with the result - best $5 I ever spent on a pistol!

I also bought the paddle magazine release and spring for a HK45C, and replaced the smaller paddle release that's standard on the P2000. Without a major increase in the dimensions of the pistol, it gives a much more positive and fast "target" to hit for getting an empty out of the gun... Also strongly recommended, and takes about 2 minutes, one punch, and one small-bladed flat screwdriver to install.

Regards,

Kevin

RHINOWSO
09-26-13, 08:14
I like my P2000SK Light LEM, 9MM. Not a huge round count, maybe 1600-1700 or so. I got it lightly used with 400 RDS already down the barrel.

HK45C mag release is an easy upgrade and this pistol carries & shoots extremely well.

P30 mags as reloads

Scrubber3
09-26-13, 09:07
I'm very fond of my P2000 V3 .40. It's of factory configuration and is heads and shoulders above many manufacturers offerings. I'm not a fan of LEM, but I've not put that much time into learning the trigger. I just prefer the DA/SA or striker.

As far as .40 goes, I can shoot the H&K easier than other .40 offerings.

Salamander
09-26-13, 22:54
The P2000 is my favorite pistol. Mine is LEM (v2 with the light FPBS), and I prefer that over the DA/SA.

Positives:

Fits my hand perfectly.
100% reliable through the first few thousand rounds, including 750+ without cleaning at a two day LAV pistol class.
The tapered slide makes concealment easy
Light enough to carry all day without discomfort
Accurate

I've come to prefer the HK mag release, although I did install the larger 45c version which is much easier to use quickly. It's in my opinion the only essential mod ($24 and three minutes), except for night sights which came on mine.

If I could only have one pistol this would be it. I just carried it on a 16-mile hike through the Trinity Alps Wilderness last weekend, the last part of it in the rain, with total confidence and it was comfortable to wear the entire time.

The slightly lesser mag capacity is a non-issue in this 10-round max state. I haven't had much difficulty finding mags, they're the same as for the USPc and there's at least one LGS in the region that almost always has a few. I tend to keep a flat baseplate on one or two mags because it's easier to conceal the gun that way.

Salamander
09-26-13, 23:18
Thanks guys for the link and the first hand info.

I am still looking around for one.

I am going to try to actually shoot one though before buying it and I will be going for the LEM as well.

I will be making a trip to Atlanta later in October, I am hoping they will be more likely to have a rental range that has either a P2000 or P30 that I can try out that LEM with.

I have also somewhat expanded my scope to include either a P30 or a USP 9C with LEM. Maybe I will be able to find one to try out.

Looks like Grant has one, but it's v3: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=709203-A5

I'm looking for a second one but it needs to be 9mm LEM with low-cap mags, so I'll need to be patient for a while.

williejc
09-26-13, 23:33
I have the P2000 in 357 Sig and standard lem. Also I have a factory 40 S&W barrel that works perfectly in this pistol. So far, no cons.

arcticlightfighter
09-27-13, 07:55
As I evolve professionally, I'm finding that the mid size pistols are the best choice for me over the full size offerings. I tend to shoot them as well as the full size pistols and concealment, drawing from the holster is easier for me.

I recently purchased a P30 9mm LEM LITE that I am wringing out for plainclothes and uniformed role, with a USP 9C for off duty. The P30 grip is a bit large for concealment however it is doable. I like the grip of the P2000 better than the USPC.

My next purchase will be a 45C just to have a .45 in my stable, but a P2000 9mm and .40 will probably be on the way. I like the fact that they use the same mags as the P30 and USPC's.

MH64
09-27-13, 21:48
I have a v3 9mm with around 2400rds thru it. I do love the pistol but am wondering if it can be converted to a LEM variant?
Is this conversion possible?

montrala
09-28-13, 06:56
I have a v3 9mm with around 2400rds thru it. I do love the pistol but am wondering if it can be converted to a LEM variant?
Is this conversion possible?

Conversion is not advised or supported by HK USA but it is doable. Actually I converted my P30 V3 to V0 LEM and my P30L V3 to V4.1 LEM. Parts kit to do conversion from V3 to V4.1 came from Oberndorf and was tailored to do this conversion (I sent them serial number of my P30L V3). I posted part numbers for this conversion on my blog.

Basically there are 2 ways to convert V3 to LEM.

In easier way you need to leave de-cocking button in place and just replace SA/DA hammer with LEM hammer, LEM cocking piece (goes inside hammer) and LEM hammer elbow spring. Then you basically got equivalent of V0 LEM. Difference is that V0 LEM uses hammer that is spurred (like SA/DA hammer).

In other way you replace also V3 sear (that is one piece with de-cocking button) and install LEM sear. In this case you will have small open slot to the left of hammer, when de-cocking button strut used to be. You can fill this slot with epoxy or just leave it. It does not affect function, nor allows any more debris to go inside gun, than it already can go around hammer. I can take some pictures to show how it looks.

Good thing about converting V3 to LEM is ability to go back to SA/DA any time, while LEM pistols can not be converted to SA/DA without modifications to pistol frame (OK they,can, but it will be SA/DA without de-cocker or safety - not best option to have, except maybe of target shooting).

jc000
09-28-13, 09:42
I just got my box from HK USA in the mail, and took about 2.5 minutes to install reduced power FPBS and hammer spring in my P2000 - to get the "V4 Todd Green" configuration (not a configuration offered or endorsed by HK, BTW). This is a middle ground between the standard LEM (which can be heavy) and the light LEM - while retaining a nice positive trigger reset (and not requiring 3 hands and a kabuki dance to replace the Trigger Return Spring). In terms of pull weight, it's much closer to the Light LEM than the standard, so a very nice compromise, IMHO. Overall, I have to say I'm VERY pleased with the result - best $5 I ever spent on a pistol!

I also bought the paddle magazine release and spring for a HK45C, and replaced the smaller paddle release that's standard on the P2000. Without a major increase in the dimensions of the pistol, it gives a much more positive and fast "target" to hit for getting an empty out of the gun... Also strongly recommended, and takes about 2 minutes, one punch, and one small-bladed flat screwdriver to install.

Regards,

Kevin

I'm running the V4 LEM as well (down from the V2). It's a subtle but noticeable improvement.

I definitely do not shoot the LEM well, but that's only because it doesn't mask my issues with poor trigger control. Other than that, as mentioned, the gun is sized well and accurate. And mine has been 100% dead nuts reliable. Finding mags for <$35 should not be a problem.

Mr blasty
09-28-13, 10:33
Does the V4.1 improve the reset at all to or are you able to improve the reset after doing the 4.1 conversion at all?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

jc000
09-28-13, 15:18
Does the V4.1 improve the reset at all to or are you able to improve the reset after doing the 4.1 conversion at all?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

4.1 only effects pre-travel, not reset.

MH64
09-28-13, 23:48
So was looking at the USP LEM conversion kit and it is said that it is not for the P2000 pistol.
However, is this where I would get the parts for my P2000 v3 to convert to LEM?

montrala
09-29-13, 09:27
So was looking at the USP LEM conversion kit and it is said that it is not for the P2000 pistol.
However, is this where I would get the parts for my P2000 v3 to convert to LEM?

You need to use P2000 or P30 parts NOT parts for USP. There are LEM kits for P30 on HKParts.net. But you really just need 3 parts I mentioned.

V4.1 does not reduce reset, but there are reduced reset packages done by some gunsmith avaliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psalms144.1
09-29-13, 10:02
You need to use P2000 or P30 parts NOT parts for USP. There are LEM kits for P30 on HKParts.net. But you really just need 3 parts I mentioned.

V4.1 does not reduce reset, but there are reduced reset packages done by some gunsmith avaliable.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'll add that the best (and most affordable) bet is to figure out precisely what parts you need, then call and place and order with HK USA Customer Service. They're very helpful and friendly, and their prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower on most parts and springs than any on-line source I've used.

Regards,

Kevin

youreacrab
10-01-13, 13:01
with flat baseplates its a solid ccw choice (probably the best in the hk lineup)

Crow Hunter
10-05-13, 22:07
Got to fondle a P2000 and a P30S today at the "local" Gander Mtn. (45 min away)

The P2000 was a DA/SA in .40. No 9mm an no LEMs. I really liked its size and the way it felt in my hand and I really didn't mind the DA trigger at all. Not really that bad. Still had the HK "Sproing" but I did not notice it as bad as my old USP 40 from the 90's.

Surprisingly, I really didn't like the P30. After everything I have read online about it, I was fully expecting to fall instantly in love and have to buy it without ever taking my hands off of it. Something about it felt "off" to me. But I am a little odd.:D

I will be scratching the P30 off the list but I am going to keep looking for a P2000 in LEM to try out. However, unless the LEM is some type of a significant improvement, I really thought the HK DA was quite nice and I didn't mind the decocker next to the hammer. I could see myself pressing it as the gun was holstered.

SkiDevil
10-06-13, 02:20
I would also check-out the HK USP 9mm Compact.

I tried the P2000 and ended up going with the 9C instead (better trigger, aggressive stippling on grip, and standard decocker).

If you are after a DA/SA alternative to the G19 either would serve you well.

These pistols are very accurate even with the short 3.5 barrel. And I would agree with comment posted that the P2000/ USP 9C are much more accurate than any Glock Gen 2 or 3 that I have shot.

P.S. I would definitely agree that finding a rental range and shooting them before you purchase a pistol is money and time well spent.

Psalms144.1
10-06-13, 09:45
Crow Hunter - if you're coming from a DA/SA background, then I wouldn't kill yourself looking for a LEM. In fact, if my options were a P2000 DA/SA, or a G19, I still think I'd opt for the P2000... I had no difficulty "mastering" the DA/SA trigger on my Sigs, don't know why the HK would be different...

Regards,

Kevin

YVK
10-06-13, 10:51
.. I had no difficulty "mastering" the DA/SA trigger on my Sigs, don't know why the HK would be different...

The former are nearly a gold standard for a service DA/SA trigger quality, especially with SRT. The latter makes me go WTF...

The above statement is not a fact, but simply an opinion based on shooting several samples of each. In fairness, I do know of one guy who shoots DA/SA P30 very well.

Psalms144.1
10-06-13, 16:35
The former are nearly a gold standard for a service DA/SA trigger quality, especially with SRT. The latter makes me go WTF...All my time behind a Sig was before the SRT was a twinkle in your daddy's eye - but I have seen my fair share of HORRIBLE DA pulls on HKs, so I hear you on the latter point...

YVK
10-06-13, 18:15
All my time behind a Sig was before the SRT was a twinkle in your daddy's eye - but I have seen my fair share of HORRIBLE DA pulls on HKs, so I hear you on the latter point...

It is really unfortunate. I went a DA/SA route recently and I was fully set for a V3 P30, with plenty of holsters and mags from my P30 LEM. Luckily, local rental shops have P30 V3s available for try outs. Subsequently, I am shooting a Beretta now... A friend, who is a very proficient Sig shooter, has just bought a V3, shot it once, and is selling it.
I'd be absolutely happy if H&K released no new pistols in next 10 years and cleaned up triggers in existing models instead.

Psalms144.1
10-07-13, 08:56
It is really unfortunate. I went a DA/SA route recently and I was fully set for a V3 P30, with plenty of holsters and mags from my P30 LEM. Luckily, local rental shops have P30 V3s available for try outs. Subsequently, I am shooting a Beretta now... A friend, who is a very proficient Sig shooter, has just bought a V3, shot it once, and is selling it.
I'd be absolutely happy if H&K released no new pistols in next 10 years and cleaned up triggers in existing models instead.You might get your wish; if the rumored P30X (striker fired) and P30 match trigger parts really do hit the market next year...

Regards,

Kevin

SiGfever
10-07-13, 09:04
This is one that I had and was replaced by a 9mm model. It too is V2 which I might have converted to V1 (Light LEM). These little guys are tanks.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8576/img15642large.jpg

Gary1911A1
10-07-13, 12:58
I have a HK P2000 in 9MM I purchased to retire my older Sig 228 as I saw them as being compatibles in features I wanted to keep. I even put a lighter mainspring in the P2000 to improve the pull. Results, I purchased another newer Sig 228 which I shoot much better than the P2000.

Crow Hunter
10-07-13, 13:15
I have a HK P2000 in 9MM I purchased to retire my older Sig 228 as I saw them as being compatibles in features I wanted to keep. I even put a lighter mainspring in the P2000 to improve the pull. Results, I purchased another newer Sig 228 which I shoot much better than the P2000.

Could you expand on this?

Most of my recent experience shooting DA/SA guns is with a Sig P226 and I owned several Sigs years ago.

I haven't owned/shot a HK DA (mine was a USP 40 full size) since 2002 or so.

What I am really looking for is a DA/SA gun that shoots like my old Walther P5.:D

Gary1911A1
10-07-13, 13:42
Could you expand on this?

Most of my recent experience shooting DA/SA guns is with a Sig P226 and I owned several Sigs years ago.

I haven't owned/shot a HK DA (mine was a USP 40 full size) since 2002 or so.

What I am really looking for is a DA/SA gun that shoots like my old Walther P5.:D

Can't help you on a DA/SA that handles like a Walther P5 as a P38 is as close to a P5 as I have handled. Myself I find the DA on the HK P2000 to be heavier and a bit shorter in travel to Sig228 and 226. Hope that helps.

AJD
10-07-13, 19:49
For whatever reason I find the DA trigger's on HK's to be very good with the exception of the HK45 and HK45C both of which have mediocre DA pulls(both were gritty and would stack in my samples). It could be how they fit my hand or the general shape of the trigger/trigger reach but HK DA triggers are easier than many other DA guns to shoot(using the pad).

For me the biggest drawback with my P30 and P2000 (both V3) is the reset in SA is way to long. It's the longest reset I've ever seen on any handgun I've shot.

Overall I find the P2000 to be the best 9mm auto pistol HK offers all things considered. I used to LOVE the P30 and still really like it alot but that was before I got the P2000 and if I had to do it all over again I would opt for a P2000 over the P30.