PDA

View Full Version : Apex FSS for carry?

PatrioticDisorder
09-17-13, 11:04
So I've been having an internal debate as to which Apex trigger to put into my M&Ps, all of which I carry. I'm really leaning towards the FSS (vs. Apex Sear, USB & AEK), but it seems most people don't use the FSS on a carry gun. So my question is, does anyone have an M&P with the FSS installed that is used as a carry gun?

wahoo95
09-17-13, 11:27
I run the FSS on a MP9 and MP45. I prefer it and the lighter weight doesn't bother me. To me its no different than carrying a single action pistol where the safety comes off when it comes out of the holster. If you have poor trigger discipline its probably not for you.

I really prefer the 1911ish trigger feel it gives me over the long take up two stage feel of the factory and DAEK triggers.

Hogsgunwild
09-17-13, 11:43
Four of them. I do not carry my M&Ps anymore, though.

Are you going to carry a model with a thumb safety?

Do you trust your trigger discipline?

If yes to both of those questions, then go for it.

In hindsight, I really did not need the FSS and trigger kit.
Great trigger but I just don't need or prefer a trigger that light anymore to be accurate.

C4IGrant
09-17-13, 11:53
So I've been having an internal debate as to which Apex trigger to put into my M&Ps, all of which I carry. I'm really leaning towards the FSS (vs. Apex Sear, USB & AEK), but it seems most people don't use the FSS on a carry gun. So my question is, does anyone have an M&P with the FSS installed that is used as a carry gun?

Without knowing your skill level, I would say pass.

Go with the AEK, DCAEK and a polish job. Will be around 4.10LBS and feel awesome.

C4

PatrioticDisorder
09-17-13, 17:28
Without knowing your skill level, I would say pass.

Go with the AEK, DCAEK and a polish job. Will be around 4.10LBS and feel awesome.

C4

Skill level I'm mediocre, way better than many of the clowns I see at the range but not near the level of a decent competition shooter. Safety level is I never let myself become complacent and always maintain a healthy respect of firearms & gun safety.

Do you not believe the FSS to be a safe system to carry? Issues with reholstering the firearm? (I'd be using Kydex, NOT leather)

wahoo95
09-17-13, 18:05
Any bone head move that would set off a FSS trigger would more than likely set off a standard trigger as well.

C4IGrant
09-17-13, 20:46
Skill level I'm mediocre, way better than many of the clowns I see at the range but not near the level of a decent competition shooter. Safety level is I never let myself become complacent and always maintain a healthy respect of firearms & gun safety.

Do you not believe the FSS to be a safe system to carry? Issues with reholstering the firearm? (I'd be using Kydex, NOT leather)

I generally prefer to see folks with limited training stick to 5lbs triggers.

C4

PatrioticDisorder
09-17-13, 20:57
I generally prefer to see folks with limited training stick to 5lbs triggers.

C4

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the FSS come with the "green spring" making FSS possible with a 5lbs trigger pull... Or is this more an issue of keeping pre-travel in place and less about actual trigger weight?

In a perfect world I'd be able to try both at the range and come to my own conclusion based on my experience and level of comfort, but unfortunately I can't so I'm deferring to those on the forum with experience with these triggers... And in case it matters, none of my M&Ps outside of my Shield have a thumb safety (which I don't use), because I'm the safety.

C4IGrant
09-17-13, 21:02
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the FSS come with the "green spring" making FSS possible with a 5lbs trigger pull... Or is this more an issue of keeping pre-travel in place and less about actual trigger weight?

Unless they changed something recently, no.

In a perfect world I'd be able to try both at the range and come to my own conclusion based on my experience and level of comfort, but unfortunately I can't so I'm deferring to those on the forum with experience with these triggers... And in case it matters, none of my M&Ps outside of my Shield have a thumb safety (which I don't use), because I'm the safety.

A good clean 5LBS trigger pull is just fine for defensive use. So follow the parts list I listed.

C4

BoringGuy45
09-17-13, 22:03
Unless they changed something recently, no.

A good clean 5LBS trigger pull is just fine for defensive use. So follow the parts list I listed.

C4

Their website says they have a 5.5lb spring standard with their polymer FSS kits. https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid70.html. Unless they discontinued that and are just offering the competition spring now.

1911-A1
09-18-13, 04:25
I put a FSS-T in my carry gun, a full-size M&P9 with a thumb safety.

It brought my trigger down to somewhere in the 3.5lb range. It's VERY light and requires a lot of dry fire and range time to acclimate to it. I would only recommend it if you are an experienced shooter.

C4IGrant
09-18-13, 07:58
Their website says they have a 5.5lb spring standard with their polymer FSS kits. https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid70.html. Unless they discontinued that and are just offering the competition spring now.

I honestly haven't messed with the polymer FSS kits so I don't know.

C4

PatrioticDisorder
09-18-13, 10:07
I honestly haven't messed with the polymer FSS kits so I don't know.

C4

According to Apex's website, the green trigger return spring (5-5.5lbs) comes with both aluminum & polymer FSS.

Littlehendrick
09-18-13, 11:25
I have both the duty kit and polymer FSS kit. The FSS kit is in my full size, and has the green heavier spring in it. My compact has the duty kit and RAM.

Though the heavier spring in the FSS kit puts it close to the duty kit, they feel pretty different. The huge reduction in pre travel is most noticeable at first. Now that doesn't rule it out as a carry gun, but you could in theory have a higher risk of ND'ing the pistol. This could be something as simple as catching your shirt in the holster as you re holster. Combine that with no thumb safety, and you have less room for error/ time to catch the issue.

I only have about 600-700 rounds on the new trigger, and an ok amount of dryfire practice on it. Do I like the trigger? Heck yes. But if I were to do it over again though, I would go with a second duty kit, and get the polymer trigger for it.

If you are located down by Columbus, GA/ Auburn area, you are more than welcome to try both triggers.

Dave Williams
09-19-13, 10:30
I put around 50 rds through a nice stippled 9mm M&P with the FSS. Really nice, very light. All my press outs were right on the money. If you're willing to train with it why not?

PatrioticDisorder
09-19-13, 11:48
I put around 50 rds through a nice stippled 9mm M&P with the FSS. Really nice, very light. All my press outs were right on the money. If you're willing to train with it why not?

Couldn't agree more, I'll be going with the FSS on all my M&Ps except my shield which doesn't have an FSS kit available.

Alex V
09-19-13, 11:52
I decided to install the Alum. FSS on an M&P9 that I bought a few weeks ago.

I love it! I am by no means a pistol expert, and I had a lot of reservations about its safety. Having installed it and fired the gun (only about 250 rounds so far) I feel that it is no less safe than the original setup on the gun.

I live behind enemy lines so I can not carry, but if I could I would not hesitate to carry an M&P with the FSS Trigger.

Sensei
09-19-13, 13:17
I use it in my M&P45 full and mid size guns. Both weapons have thumb safeties as I was trying to replicate a 1911 feel in a polymer pistol.

Having said that, I would not recommend the FSS on a carry pistol that lacks a thumb safety just like I would not carry a 1911 without a thumb safety.