PDA

View Full Version : HK USA Customer Service

Psalms144.1
09-17-13, 13:13
I switched from Glock to HKs a little more than a year ago. Both of my HKs (a P2000 and P30) have the standard LEM, which is a little on the heavy side, though not horrible. Also, my P2000, which I bought new, has an AE (2004) manufacturing date, and appears to still have the original RSA, so I figured that was in need of addressing...

After much reading of opinions from people I trust, I decided I want to try the "light" LEM version on both of these pistols. Anyone who's gone down this trail will know that the hardest part of this conversion is figuring out what the heck parts you need (seriously, it's just three springs, but figuring out which three springs you need is a nightmare!).

I THOUGHT I had it all figured out, so I was ready to go to an on-line HK parts supplier and make an order. But, several folks advised calling HK USA for the parts. GASP! Call someone? And talk to them? Egads - I'd MUCH rather let my electrons do the talking...

Anyway, since I wasn't 100% sure I had identified what six springs I really needed, today I bit the bullet and called down. Of course, there was more than one automated option on the message system, so, former Infantryman that I am, I ended up at the wrong extension. But, the very polite gentleman who answered told me what extension I needed to dial, and how to shortcut the automated prompts to get right to CS.

After a couple minutes on hold, I got Jeff on the line, and braced to be told I suck, and he hated me. Imagine my surprise when he was personable, easy to talk to and helpful. I asked my questions, and he corrected my assumptions on a couple of things, and made sure I got EXACTLY the parts I needed.

Now the best part - everything (except the replacement RSA for my P2000) was 1/2-1/3 the price of any on-line place, and the shipping is very reasonable. What would have cost me about $175 on-line was under $100, shipped, with the require NYS tax. Color me impressed! So - maybe we don't suck as bad as we thought, or they don't hate us as much anymore...

Regards,

Kevin

Javelin
09-17-13, 13:16
It's fun to poke at Hk as it is now Internet legend that their customer service is so bad. I like my HKs and I even poke fun at them but they are really not so bad from those that have had their weapons repaired. It's just not the same as Taurus where you turn in your crappy gun for a free fix and then receive same crappy gun.

Glad it went well :)

ralph
09-17-13, 17:12
I'll give you guys a very recent story about HK's CS... I recently bought a HK45ct..hated the DA/SA trigger.. and so bought a LEM kit from HKUSA. Well, got it installed and noticed the hammer was leaning to the left, I called HK, and was told to send pics, which I did. I didn't hear anything for a couple days, so, I called..I don't know who I talked to but he explained they had been very busy, but looked my E-mail up and promised to get the repair guys to look at it. About a hour later I got a E-mail from HKUSA's CS, Sam Bass. He explained that the leaning LEM hammer was not uncommon, and would not affect the function of the pistol. He gave me the option of A. sending it in. B. Have him send new hammer. C. Accept it as it was. I opted for B. and explained I could install, shipping costs are outrageous, and I really don't trust either UPS or FedEx to send it in.. Later I got another Email from Sam, explaining he'd send a new hammer, but, if in case that didn't solve the problem, He'd send a shipping tag out, and HK would pay for shipping both ways!! Just got another Email today, Hammer is in transit, and I should receive it by Thursday!!!
Fellas, HK does NOT hate us and They don't think we suck.. I don't know about anyone else, But it looks like they are bending over backwards to help me out here,...And I can't thank them enough.

Auto426
09-17-13, 17:40
I've been around gun forums for a while, and while the "you suck and we hate you" thing is pretty damn funny, it doesn't seem to be holding up in recent years. All the more recent reports I have seen of forum goers who used HK's customer service has been very satisfied with the responses that they have gotten.

This is however hearsay and I have no personal experience with HK's customer service.

ralph
09-17-13, 18:07
I've been around gun forums for a while, and while the "you suck and we hate you" thing is pretty damn funny, it doesn't seem to be holding up in recent years. All the more recent reports I have seen of forum goers who used HK's customer service has been very satisfied with the responses that they have gotten.

This is however hearsay and I have no personal experience with HK's customer service.

You'd be surprised how many people still believe that.. Case in point, in this months Shotgun News, there's a article about buying a polymer framed pistol, and the author goes on to bash HK by stating their pistols have a high bore axis, long trigger reach, and HK customer service is known to be so bad that It's commonly known as "you suck and we hate you" The same idiot also recommends XD's to people used to a 1911, stating that the grip angle is the same :rolleyes:

High Tower
09-17-13, 18:10
I have dealt with several of the folks at HK by phone, email, and in person and never once have I had a negative experience. I'm glad everything worked out for you OP.

merican
09-17-13, 19:53
My buddy's P2000 went down during a Chris Costa class several months back (~16000+ rds at failure). I believe he said the sear broke - the pistol still fired but only in DA. This all went unnoticed until my friend realized the hammer wouldn't return to the SA position.

The pistol was sent out to HK the Monday after the weekend class. An HK rep calls mid-week to inform my friend that it would be an easy fix, and that it would be bumped up to the top of their repair schedule. The P2000 was repaired, shipped and back home the following Monday.

"Buy once, cry once" comes to mind.

Tzook
09-17-13, 19:53
Good that he was helpful!!! He still hates you though..... But only because you suck so much

HKGuns
09-17-13, 20:16
I've never had an issue with any of my HK products. Calls to CS for minor things like the above have always been handled very professionally. This is one of the reasons I continue to buy them.

Don't believe everything you read in magazines or on the net.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-17-13, 20:49
Back in the 90s they had a guy, I think his name was Sean, now he sucked and I hated him. If HK had a time machine they should use it to go back in time and make that guy get a job at the DMV like God intended. I swear 99% of their troubles started with that jackass. Since then they have been excellent in my experience.

C4IGrant
09-17-13, 20:56
I deal with HK on a regular basis. No issues. I also know that they are trying hard to improve their CS.

C4

Psalms144.1
09-18-13, 09:49
I'm sort of the "bad luck Schleprock" of the firearms community. I've owned, and broken (my team mates overseas called me "Paws" because I once broke a screwdriver - don't ask...) WAY more than my share of firearms over the years. Fortunately, this makes me a VERY knowledgable source on firearms CS. My experiences:

1. S&W - absolutely top notch, especially for those of us lucky enough to be in LE. Their "911" service for duty weapons is incredible, the three times I called them, I had a shipping label in my e-mail before I hung up the phone, and the LONGEST they had one of my guns was 7 days, including shipping and a weekend. Unbelievable. The service I got on the "civilian" side was excellent as well - my M&P-15-22 was up & back in under 10 days, and pretty well completely rebuilt when it came home.

2. HK - as noted above, excellent service for parts. Haven't needed any HK I've ever owned worked on, so can't speak to that aspect.

3. Glock - good, once you break through the initial "stiff arm" barrier of limp-wristing-weak-ammo BS. Once you get to the second echelon, they really will try to make things work for you. Of course, unless you're LE, they're also going to try to make you pay the shipping to get your pistol to Smyrna, which I consider pretty poor

4. Sig - horrible. Most of the people I've called were rude and unhelpful. Getting parts or repairs was close to impossible, and I am a factory certified armorer calling for parts/repairs on issued duty guns. Spent hours on hold waiting to talk to a human, then usually got shunted to a voice mail system and never got a call back. This CS is one of the reasons why I just don't buy Sig anymore.

5. Mossberg - worse than horrible. I won't get into the details - story is too long - but, they LOST a shotgun I shipped them for warranty repair, AFTER it arrived at their repair center. To this date, I have no idea what happened to that weapon - but I have the documentation that they "took possession" of it, and the serial number to track the replacements they sent. Of course, the replacement was no better than the original gun, so it got sold at a loss. Again, not a company I'll do business with in the future.

6. Robinson Arms - again, when I contact a manufacturer because they've created a weapon that is out of spec to the point it won't work, I don't expect to be told to go to the hardware store, get a torque wrench and files, and start performing surgery on the new rifle. A shame, because I really like their design, but, forget about support...

Regards,

Kevin

BH321
09-18-13, 16:02
I'm sort of the "bad luck Schleprock" of the firearms community. I've owned, and broken (my team mates overseas called me "Paws" because I once broke a screwdriver - don't ask...) WAY more than my share of firearms over the years. Fortunately, this makes me a VERY knowledgable source on firearms CS. My experiences:

5. Mossberg - worse than horrible. I won't get into the details - story is too long - but, they LOST a shotgun I shipped them for warranty repair, AFTER it arrived at their repair center. To this date, I have no idea what happened to that weapon - but I have the documentation that they "took possession" of it, and the serial number to track the replacements they sent. Of course, the replacement was no better than the original gun, so it got sold at a loss. Again, not a company I'll do business with in the future.

6. Robinson Arms - again, when I contact a manufacturer because they've created a weapon that is out of spec to the point it won't work, I don't expect to be told to go to the hardware store, get a torque wrench and files, and start performing surgery on the new rifle. A shame, because I really like their design, but, forget about support...

Regards,

Kevin

Wait, what? You have got to expand upon these two stories as the first one leaves me shaking my head and the second has me in disbelief. They actually told you to go take a file to a new rifle?

Psalms144.1
09-18-13, 18:29
BH - after sending in a 930 SPX that wouldn't pattern within 18" of POA with any load (and after the second barrel replacement with no improvement), I was directed to ship the whole shotgun back for replacement. Did so, as directed, shipped FEDEX on their dime, with tracking number and got a "received by" receipt electronically. About 6 weeks later, I call, asking status, and am told they have no record of my shotgun. I dug up the FEDEX record, got the scan of the digitally signed receipt, and sent it to them. About a week later, they agreed they must have "misplaced" the shotgun and sent a replacement...

The Robarms story I'm loath to tell, as the CS person I was dealing with was just following directions from her higher, and has subsequently (as I understand) left the company. But, yes, I was given plenty of "hints" on things I might want to try to fix the rifle myself before they agreed to take it back - and some of them involved "massaging" metal to metal fit in places...

Regards,

Kevin

BT2012
09-23-13, 09:29
I had to get my USP updated and modified because the LEM trigger kit wouldn't fit properly so I was in touch with H&K and spoke with Jeff 2 weeks ago. A few days later, on the same day it was received at H&K, I got a call from Jeff and we discussed about the modification and trigger weight I wanted. Less than 10 mins later, Jeff called me back to let me know it was completed and ready to ship back to me. It was a pleasant, quick and easy experience.

The only thing that is lacking with H&K is there are not enough dealers that carry the parts and they are slow to ship parts to the U.S.

loupav
09-23-13, 10:13
I shoot the crap outta my HKs and earlier this year my P2000 sear spring broke. I really didn't wanna send it in and have them keep it for so long to fix it. They had it back to me with in two days! Gave me a bunch of HK stickers too! Shipping both ways on their dime. I couldn't be happier.

HK has always taken care of me.

Hogsgunwild
09-24-13, 05:28
I have contacted H&K several times in the last few years for information and ordering parts. They were always on top of things.
Very helpful customer service.