PDA

View Full Version : Meprolight VS Trijicon 3 Dot Night Sights

Killer Angel
09-19-13, 08:45
For those of you who may have any experiences wit both the Meprolight and Trijicon 3 Dot Night Sights,which one do you prefer?The reason for me asking this question is because the tritium night sights on my Sig P229 are getting dimmer already and I am debating between these 2 night sights on which to get.
Thanks in advance.

eng208
09-19-13, 08:50
I think the vials are the same. They are regulated under the DOE so I believe only one facility makes the tritium. I have had both Trijicon and Meprolight. Truthfully, I have never noticed a difference and have not drawn a preference. One has a smoother vial face than the other less prone to getting trapped dirt and that is the only difference I know of.

Psalms144.1
09-19-13, 09:02
Meprolights tend, in my experience, to have larger, easier to see white outlines around the tritium vials, and always seemed "brighter" in both full and reduced light, but that may just be a perceptual weirdness on my part. Of the two, I GENERALLY prefer Meps, especially if I can get the green front/orange rear combination.

Having said that, Trijicon's new HD sights might be a better (if MUCH more expensive) option. The VERY visible front sight mated to a U-notch rear is much faster to acquire in a variety of lighting situations, and worth a strong look.

HOWEVER, I really think the "pick of the litter" in NS right now is the Ameriglo "Pro" front (I prefer the orange outline) mated to an Operator rear with yellow vials, and, if I'm reading Ameriglo's site properly, that's a setup that could be ordered - if not offered as a "standard" option. Definitely worth a call to check - and use the coupon cope GSSF for a further discount...

Regards,

Kevin

BioLayne
09-19-13, 10:11
if you aren't married to the idea of a 3-dot, look into the Ameriglo i-dot pros. Fastest sight picture I've ever gotten, and front site absolutely jumps out at you. The front site is actually a trijicon HD site, but the ameriglo brand is much cheaper. You can find them on amazon for around ~$85. I found some at Lanbo's Armory for under $70! Also, in my experience the yellow front site is much better than the orange. YMMV

Javelin
09-19-13, 12:19
I have all 3 brands mentioned above and prefer Ameriglow. They are fantastic.

B Cart
09-19-13, 12:35
I had the Trijicon night sights on my PPQ and just switched to the Meprolights.

The Trijicon night sights had 2 of the night sight dots that completely went out after about 2 years. I picked up the Meps, and they seem much brighter than the trijicon's ever were, however the trijicon's were more 'low profile' and not as blocky.

Overall, I think the Meps are brighter and easier to pick up in sight picture, but the rear sight is a little more blocky than the trijicons.

Hope that helps

Javelin
09-19-13, 12:41
I had the Trijicon night sights on my PPQ and just switched to the Meprolights.

The Trijicon night sights had 2 of the night sight dots that completely went out after about 2 years. I picked up the Meps, and they seem much brighter than the trijicon's ever were, however the trijicon's were more 'low profile' and not as blocky.

Overall, I think the Meps are brighter and easier to pick up in sight picture, but the rear sight is a little more blocky than the trijicons.

Hope that helps

My first mepros were bought in 2002 and they are still on my Glock today. Of course they are pretty faint but still good enough. When I first got them I couldn't leave them on my bed stand facing me because the nightsights were so bright they reflected off my table!

Plumber237
09-19-13, 14:42
I've shot quite a bit with both, the glocks for my LE skills had Trijicon 3 dots on them, and my duty issued USP has the meprolights. It's been mentioned by others though, meps are blockier but brighter, trijicons were not as bright but more crisp IMO and more low profile. They are both good sights, but as others have mentioned there are some better set ups now days. 2 dots like the heinie straight 8's or ameriglo i-dots are really nice (I've personally had heinies on a handgun and loved them). I have Trijicon HD's on my personal glocks, mostly because I didn't want to send them off to heinie or buy a sight tool (local LE supply shops will install HD's for free, as they sell them in store). The HD's in daytime are black rear with a U notch and a bright Orange or Yellow dot up front, and at night are 3 dot tritium. I don't have personal experience with the Ameriglo's, but if I had someone who installs glock sights, for the price and quality I'd go with the I-dot pros (which is a trijicon HD front sight).