PDA

View Full Version : Interesting debate....

SinnFéinM1911
08-28-06, 10:08
I had a interesting weekend, I overheard a debate that I refused to get involved with, but I’d like to hear everyone’s opinion…..

This is how it went, and I’m not sure how it started.

It was over what’s so different and what makes one country occupation worse than others, and these are the examples given.

US Colonists v American Indians
British Control v US Colonist

British Control Over Ireland (now Northern Ireland)

The State of Israel over Palestine
Israel v Egypt and Syria (back when they occupied that land that is now Israel)

British Occupation over Taiwan
British Occupation over South Africa

Iraq’s occupation into Kuwait

I think that was about it, I will update if I can remember more. Anyway the argument got pretty heated, from religious freedom to shear control and power….. Then again the question, why is one worse than the other, and who really has claim to that land ?

LukeMacGillie
08-28-06, 15:55
Well Native/Euro relations in the mid to late 18th Century is my area of expertise. Mostly dealing with the NY and Ohio Country Frontiers.

Ive always thought that our dealings with the world in the mid to late 20th century and on up to today is that we are trying to prevent some of the mistakes we made "Growing up"

But anyway I see more of a common ground between the euro conquest of North America with the current Hispanic conquest of North America.

Patrick Aherne
08-28-06, 23:47
Nothing like a nice, light-hearted discussion:cool: . Are you out of your mind, man? These kinds of conversations over a beer are likely to wind up in fisticuffs.

No offense, but this is too third-rail dangerous, incendiary even, to have a polite discussion about who is right and who is wrong. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

SinnFéinM1911
08-29-06, 08:18
This is why I stayed far far away form it.

baffle Stack
08-29-06, 12:18
Nothing like a nice, light-hearted discussion:cool: . Are you out of your mind, man? These kinds of conversations over a beer are likely to wind up in fisticuffs.

No offense, but this is too third-rail dangerous, incendiary even, to have a polite discussion about who is right and who is wrong. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Simple fix is the mods lock it if it gets ugly.

SinnFéinM1911
08-29-06, 12:50
well, we will see if it even gets off the ground floor before they lock it ..