PDA

View Full Version : Trust in Smith and Wesson

NewLife2626
09-20-13, 10:50
If you had the option to pick up an m&pc 9mm brand spanking new right of the factory floor would you trust your life with it to preform when the time comes to use it without any hicups or failures. Basically I want to know if there will be any issuse that should stop me from picking one up giving talk about accurracy problems and other problems that come up from time to time.

militarymoron
09-20-13, 10:53
i wouldn't trust my life to ANY brand spanking new gun off the factory floor without putting a good number of rounds through it without hiccups. after i had done that, and i felt comfortable with its reliability and accuracy, the brand would be secondary.

Sry0fcr
09-20-13, 10:56
Anyone that trusts a gun right out of the box is an idiot IMO. I don't care who makes it, it's getting 500 through it before going into the holster. That said, my M&P runs like a top no accuracy issues reported from me but I'm not that good and don't shoot far enough out to notice. YMMV.

NewLife2626
09-20-13, 11:02
Yea I get what you guys are saying should have thought that through a little better, but anyway am I a fool to pick up and M&pc for ccw or maybe pick up a revolver giving recent semi problems.

wahoo95
09-20-13, 11:03
Sucks when they go tits up at round 501..LOL!

If the OP is trying to decide whether S&W is up to per quality wise the answer is yes, however like any gun you should properly inspect it and break it in to ensure it functions.

TBomb
09-20-13, 11:10
Yea I get what you guys are saying should have thought that through a little better, but anyway am I a fool to pick up and M&pc for ccw or maybe pick up a revolver giving recent semi problems.

Not a fool at all. The M&P C, or the M&P Shield either one would make a great CCW and thousands of people trust their lives to them for just such a purpose. As has already been mentioned, the key is to put a few hundred rounds downrange with it before you deploy it as your CCW to work out any issues that might be present, determine that there are no issues present, as well as get familiar with how the gun operates. For what it's worth, I love my full size M&P .40 :cool:

Kokopelli
09-20-13, 11:18
My M&P Shield has been as solid as any pistol I have. It points well and it runs. With the XS bigdot/express sights I can beat the tar out of a target at 15 yards. That's all I need it to do.. Cheers.. Ron

T2C
09-20-13, 11:30
I won't trust any pistol until I have fired 300 consecutive rounds through it without malfunction.

MegademiC
09-20-13, 13:37
there are plenty of discussions on m&p and other various pistols on this board. Many, many members here use m&ps (me included) and really like the reliability, ergonomics and accuracy they offer.

JSantoro
09-20-13, 13:56
but anyway am I a fool to pick up and M&pc for ccw or maybe pick up a revolver giving recent semi problems.

The dirty little secret nobody will ever tell you, because of their brand-name loyalties, is that ALL handguns suck. The differences lie in the way in which any given one sucks, and all any one of us ever do is select the set of complications we're able to best tolerate.

Having said that, the 9c is a pretty danged good little gun, and I wish I still had mine despite having benefitted from letting it go. In between the sizes of a G19 and a G26, good capacity for it's size, reliable, lots of options in terms of sights, holsters, other support equipment.

Rough summary of most-likely suckage, in descending order...

*You'll likely find the slide release difficult (perhaps even VERY difficult) to depress for the first few hundred rounds. I'd say give it as much as 700 rounds before fretting if it doesn't become more usable, though 3-400 is more common.

*The M&P9 line has had it's share of accuracy problems, though the level if incidence has never been nearly as present with the compact variant as with the others; probably even less so now that you'll find the 1:10 twist barrels in the 2013-made guns.

*Consider just going ahead and putting an Apex "duty" trigger mod kit in right from the start. S&W's made the M&P9 triggers better with a couple of little tweaks oer the years, and it's not like they're unusable or anything, but most folks seem to benefit from the swap to Apex parts. Perhaps an Apex RAM, as well, if one enjoys having a distinct tactile reset.

*A good practice with the 9c is to download your mags by one round; they can and have exhibited problems with allowing a full 12 round mag to secure when inserted on a closed slide. Like the stiff slide releases, generally a self-solving thing.

*This is a personal recommendation, not a gig on the gun, nor a requirement: Unless you have little dwarf hands that fit on the grip with a flat-baseplate magazine, get the angled baseplates, or magazine extensions. Personal choice, plenty of folks do fine with the flat-base mags. I have somewhat smaller than average size hands, the angled bases provided me better recoil control.

*17rd mags fit, so consider one or two of those (if you can find them, these days, check the "Where Can I Get It?" thread in AR GD for common sources) for use as your reload(s) if you carry. Also personal choice.

As stated, there are plenty of other threads with some form of "M&P" in the title, and you appear to have benefitted from them...they're worth a more detailed look for more, and more specific, info. There's also threads where folks discuss what are reasonable threasholds for reliability in a duty/carry gun.