PDA

View Full Version : Standardizing: Should I sell my Sig?

jcshelto
09-20-13, 15:09
First, I've been a long time lurker here--this is an awesome forum with some very intelligent, insightful and experienced people.

I have been shooting for over twenty years between the civilian and Military world. I have finally started getting into competitive shooting, specifically IDPA and USPSA. Before I started shooting competititvely and training with specific objectives in mind (split times, holster to presentation, natural index, etc) I bought a Sig P226 and installed a threaded barrel and SRT with the ultimate objective of making it a suppressor host and range gun. I love the Sig--it is the easiest gun I own to shoot accurately; the trigger is easy, it indexes naturally, though front sight reacquisition is a little slow. It just really feels good to hold.

Fast forward to now. I shoot USPSA Production and IDPA SSP with a Glock 22 with powder puff rounds--it feels like a .22. I shoot limited with a Glock 35, but I am not done building my Glock 35 (It needs a few more features). My main defensive pistol is a Glock 20 with Underwood loads.

I recently had the opportunity of a lifetime to trade my Glock 26 Blue Label (carry gun) for a Glock 34 (red label) and some extras. I now need to replace my main carry gun, since I traded it.

My question is: As much as I like the Sig, I am afraid to shoot it extensively, because I focus most of my training on the Glock platform. Should I sell the Sig and turn my Glock 34 into the suppressor host/range toy? Am I being too sentimental? I could buy two blue label Glocks for the selling price of the Sig most likely.

Btw, I just took the Glock 34 to the range and although it is not as "ergonomic" as the Sig, I shoot the G34 like it was built for me.

jcshelto
09-20-13, 15:21
Here is a pic of my recent G34 target. This is 150 rounds of relatively fast fire--with several rapid mag dumps at 10 yards.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/9842316745_fee4409393.jpg

walkin' trails
09-20-13, 15:39
I would never recommend selling s gun unless it's just one you dome like and don't have any use for.

pat701
09-20-13, 16:49
Keep the Sig and learn to shoot that quality pistol, after all it is a Sig.

ra2bach
09-20-13, 17:01
I can only tell you what I have experienced and that is I have later regretted selling every gun I have ever sold.

If you have a good SIG, I consider them to be legacy guns. of all the SIGs, the 226 seems to be the most popular.

I consider my SIGs as carry and IDPA guns and M&Ps as my high round count, roll in the dirt guns. I do understand wanting to standardize on one system but I personally don't see a conflict having two fire systems for different purposes. ymmv...

Mak8080
09-20-13, 18:17
I'd definitely keep the Sig and just keep shooting it when you can. A Sig is always nice to have in the collection.:D

rickmy
09-20-13, 18:46
I would sell the Sig. I have been in your same boat and prefer to be standardized to all one platform. For me, firearms serve two purposes. 1st and foremost the gun is a lethal weapon which I depended on at work in LE and also off duty. In either situation, I cannot afford to miss. By miss I mean I cannot afford to miss 1 inch. I always need to hit exactly where I'm aiming act. I find this is done easier by using the same weapon across the board due to sight, grip angle, and other issues. I used to bounce back and forth between Glock and M&P but found the difference in grip between the two causes me to shoot the Glock high(when shooting fast) if I shoot the M&P alot.

My second use for handguns is competition(to become more proficient at use #1) and I don't want to be off there either. One spot on the prize table can mean alot.

Just my two cents. Important thing is that if you sell a gun buy at LEAST one more to replace it b

MegademiC
09-21-13, 00:00
If you are not tight on money - keep it.

I understand consolidating, and defense comes 1st, comps 2nd(training if same platform), and fun/range guns last. I was in a position to have 1 pistol so I traded basically. I suggest never selling a gun you like to and DO(emphasis here) shoot (or collectors items) if possible.

That said, just train with your main platform... I wouldn't start doing matches with the sig if it hurt your glock performance. Seems like you know this, just stating for others.

As for your carry gun, I'd sell the 20 and get a 19, money used to train with it will pay for itself pretty quick. In human targets the 9mm usually performs better than 10mm IIRC, especially with loads by that company and similar ones.

HKGuns
09-21-13, 08:58
How boring it would be to own only one kind of pistol.

I never sell guns as a general rule. I can understand your thinking, I don't agree with it, but understand it....I find it far more useful to be versatile and enjoy shooting all sorts of different rifles and pistols.

jcshelto
09-21-13, 09:04
Y'alls posts have helped me a lot.

I am not tight on money per se, but the "chief financial officer" of the house is a little tired of the constant purchases.

I love the Sig and should probably keep it. I had wanted once since I was 16.

I'll probably start saving for a Glock 19, which shouldn't take long given they are only 398.

1oldgrunt
09-21-13, 09:18
I'll be a "dissenter"....sell the SIG. Since you love the Glocks , they fit you well, you shoot them well.....why deal with another platform. the Sig has a completely different action, feel, etc.
I've shot competitively over 30 years, ex mil, LE, etc., only saying that to say I've been around a lot or "serious" shooters, and I've seen good shooters fail to be great shooters because they switch their platform around too much.
I can shoot a 1911 with the best of them , but if I start shooting my glocks a bunch, once I correct for the Glock hump, if i grab a 1911 and don't think about what I'm doing (shooting) I shoot low for a bit.
Now make that middle of the night, there's a noise, I'm tired, dis-oriented, what have I got in my hands.?!

You already stated the Glock fits you, stick with it and sell the Sig and buy another Glock and X400 light from the proceeds:cool:

To those who "NEVER" sell any gun they own, good for you but I'm not into emotional attachment unless they're female..... And since I'm happily married my days of trading up are long gone ;)Sticking with this one platform, and it fits me well:D

Hemoglobin
09-21-13, 09:24
I would say keep it until after you have purchased the one you consider it's replacement. Then see if you still have the urge to get rid of it. If you can come up with more reasons to replace it then you probably really won't enjoy it.

I went through a tradefest right after college. So I get it but the above helped me be more realistic.

1_click_off
09-21-13, 09:25
I'll probably start saving for a Glock 19, which shouldn't take long given they are only 398.

Man, at that price I almost want to become a LEO!

Keep it. It is nice to have something besides vanilla ice cream once in awhile.

chuckman
09-21-13, 09:33
I consolidated to all-Glock, selling a W German SIG 226, a 239 in 9mm and a 239 in .40. I regret selling them, and I imagine you would, too.

BOOSTjunkie
09-21-13, 10:04
Is money tight for you right now? If not keep the SIG as a range toy. I am sentimental myself and even though I shoot mostly glock 9mm now I still am holding on to my orginal W German P220.

Tomahawk_Ghost
09-21-13, 10:55
Don't sell. It is always a good thing to learn multiple triggers. You never know what you might be stuck with.

On top of that I am not one to standardize to one caliber either.

SteveS
09-21-13, 12:10
Keep the Sig and learn to shoot that quality pistol, after all it is a Sig. I am not a Sig lover type of person and I like the idea of standardization but ,,, if you have mags and ammo in stock It wouldn't hurt to keep the Sig.

JimmyB62
09-21-13, 12:12
At one time I had LOTS of guns. I chose to get serious about my shooting and ended selling almost everything except for my dedicated "serious use" guns. Eventually I started to miss some of the guns I sold and realized that some of the fun factor was gone. I now have my serious use guns which get 95% of my shooting time but I also have re-acquired some of the fun stuff for goofing off once in a while.

Examine your priorities and decide for yourself what matters. For me, having some occasional plinking time is well worth the cost of keeping my fun guns.

MAUSER202
09-23-13, 18:27
I sold a 229 in 40 to get my second ppq and to consolidate to 9mm. At first I didn't miss the sig, but now I do. I shot very well with it and it's not bad to have a second caliber. I regret most of the guns I sold over the years especially the quality ones. YMMV.