PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer P290RS

Trailrunner
09-21-13, 11:35
I am looking into the Sig Sauer P290RS for concealed carry (pocket, smart carry, aiwb or ankle depending on dress requirements) in NPE type places. This is the second gen of this pistol, which seems to have eliminated and prior issues - light primer strikes, etc.

In reviewing them at LGS, the fit and finish of this pistol is very well done. Comparable pistols in 9mm seem to have less QC but still nice pistols (Beretta Nano, Kahr pm/cm9 especially) I am not considering the S&W shield or G26 because of size. Though the G26 would be my pick if I wasnt restricted in dress/NPE. This pistol seems to in my opinion has Sig quality, as best it can be in the states and small enough to still fit all the above.

My questions for some help are:

1) Personal opinions/reviews of P290RS owners on daily carry use and function.

2a) What gunsmiths work on these? Thoughts of adjusting the length of pull and weight of trigger pull might be an option if quality smith can be found.

2b) Gunsmith who could mill out and extend the rear slide gripping/traction serrations/grooves used for cocking over the top of the slide to aid in purchase/grip, pushing/pulling slide back under stress, etc.

Thanks for the the help and information. I wanted to give a second try on posting for information, before moving on. This is a new platform for me and custom work as well.

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 14:49
Glock 26. Its all you need to know. Anything less is damn near unshootable and sure as hell is not as reliable.

Ive tried them all. Glock 26 is what you want.

BOOSTjunkie
09-21-13, 15:29
Glock 26. Its all you need to know. Anything less is damn near unshootable and sure as hell is not as reliable.

especially if you decide to run it as a backup you have compatibility with a g19 or g17 in terms of mags.

Sensei
09-21-13, 16:47

Agree - the G26 is the gold standard sub-compact 9mm. Other honorable mentions are the HKP2000sk, M&P shield (once you get past the recent recall), and Walther PPS.

Sig makes some great guns, but their best weapons are the P226 and P228.

Trailrunner
09-21-13, 18:20
The G26 is THE Subcompact pistol. I agree it has a proven rep and multiple reasons why many would mention it as a option for back up or small subcompact.

Unfortunately, I am looking at micro 9mm's that you can pocket carry as a starting point in NPE type places daily.

More specifically, help from those with personal experience with the P290rs and gunsmiths with specialize in Sig, trigger work and milling of slide serrations.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the G26 and compare them for my needs.

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 20:43
The G26 is THE Subcompact pistol. I agree it has a proven rep and multiple reasons why many would mention it as a option for back up or small subcompact.

Unfortunately, I am looking at micro 9mm's that you can pocket carry as a starting point in NPE type places daily.

More specifically, help from those with personal experience with the P290rs and gunsmiths with specialize in Sig, trigger work and milling of slide serrations.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the G26 and compare them for my needs.

I hear ya and thought the same way. The truth is, anything smaller is just un-shootable. Ive owned a bunch of the micros, and they are all shit. From horrible triggers to lack of grip, I would not trust them if I needed them. We all understand that a shitty gun is better than no gun at all.

If you cannot hide a G26, then the problem is on you. Hell I can put one on my front jean pocket and I'm only 5'8". Dress around the gun or get creative. The Haley strategic holster is great if u don't mind the gun being pointed at your dick.

You don't want to be fumbling around with some small toy gun when there is a threat present.

TurretGunner
09-21-13, 20:46
Two other issues:

1.Small guns usualy are unreliable. Sigs are known to be unreliable outside of the fullsize 220/226/228/229's.

2. Training. You need to be able to practice as smaller frame guns are much harder to aim and hit with. Even the LCP which is in .380 , is painfull to shoot. Imagine the same frame in a 9mm and your not going to be able to shoot much. The recoil is going to keep you from training effectivley.

Thats why I keep coming back to the 26. I swear, it shoots smoother and has less muzzle flip/recoil than my 19's or 17's.

BoringGuy45
09-21-13, 21:57
Shot the P290. Hated, hated, hated, hated that gun. Hated it. YMMV but did I mention I hated it? When they first came out, we couldn't keep them in stock because they were Sig friggin Sauer and every avid reader of Soldier of Fortune and Guns and Ammo thought "Sig=Navy SEALs must carry it." Now, we couldn't get rid of them if we paid someone to take it. Also, with Sig's customer service, if HK is "Because you suck and we hate you," Sig for the past eight years has been, "Because you are an absolutely worthless pile of dog shit and we hope your mother dies in a fire."

If you're looking for a 9mm subcompact, Glock 26, M&P 9 Compact, and HK P2000 SK are good options.

calviroman
09-21-13, 23:23
Have you considered the P938? It can be pocket carried with either a custom modified/sewn pocket or a thin pocket holster. I can appreciate the NPE thing. I personally prefer the custom sewn pocket as it gets the gun a bit deeper in the pocket and you don't get the extra thickness associated with a holster. Very comfortable sitting or bending and prints like a wallet.

The only way to carry a G26 in a real high-risk NPE is appendix or smartcarry which is effectively deep appendix. This will only work for certain body types in an office environment. IMHO you can't carry strongside IWB in a close quarters, indoors/office NPE environment where printing at all at any time could result in firing/arrest.

Magic_Salad0892
09-21-13, 23:26
Have you considered a J-Frame?

If the G26 isn't an option, then I'd recommend the Walther PPS.

Tomac
09-22-13, 13:56
I own two P290RS' w/over 500rds total through them (115/147gr FMJ, 115/135/147gr JHP, no +P's).

Pros: The DAO trigger isn't as difficult to shoot accurately at SD ranges as I'd feared and obviates the need for a manual safety. This same DAO trigger makes every shot deliberate when the adrenaline is flowing so less chance of an ND. 8rd mag w/extension provides a full 3-finger grip, factory night sights are decent, slide locks back after the last shot, usable slide release, surprisingly fast back on-target w/std-pressure loads, thin profile & short OAL enhance concealability, DAO trigger much easier to use w/LaserLyte training aids, w/6rd mag is small/light enough (barely) for pocket carry. Reliable w/every ammo load tested (w/the exception of the light strikes mentioned below). I carry AIWB and in a Remora clipless holster it's *very* comfortable for all-day carry, even bending over isn't bothersome.

Cons: I experienced 3 light strikes w/the first P290RS in the first 200rds (none since then) and 1 w/the second P290RS in the first 50rds (none since then). FTF's can happen if you don't seat cartridges fully to the rear of the mag when loading. Grip panels are aggressively checkered but this can be relieved w/a little light sanding (which I did only on the side that contacts my body when carrying) or a rubber grip sleeve, extra grip panels supposedly available but I haven't been able to locate any, short sight radius makes precision shots more difficult, short bbl reduces ballistics, mag release requires a positive push to use (mag release is lower than on the original P290 to prevent accidental mag drops), DAO trigger makes for slower followup shots than w/a std SA or DA/SA, 6rd mag makes for greater concealability but only allows a 2-finger hold so more difficult to shoot quickly/accurately, singlestack mag is slower/more difficult to insert in the magwell than a doublestack mag.

Despite the drawbacks of such a small pistol, Mozambique drills at 7yds are surprisingly fast/easy w/std-pressure loads, the P290RS conceals very well, I like not having to worry about my trigger finger becoming a "trigger pump" under stress, thx to the DAO trigger. While I would like to have the capacity of a doublestack, the P290RS w/a couple of 8rd reloads in a back pocket Recluse dual mag carrier should be enough for my civvie needs.

For the record, I've owned a G26 and find the P290RS suits my particular needs better (YMMV).
Tomac

ETA: Galloway Precision makes a performance spring set for the P290RS along w/a stainless guide rod & 22lb recoil spring and is supposedly working on a pretravel/overtravel adjustable trigger as well.

RHINOWSO
09-22-13, 15:42
If the P290 is "unshootable", the issue is the shooter not the pistol, period. Yes SIG has had issues but the gun itself is easy to shoot in my limited experience thus far.

I hear stories of people pocket carrying a G26 and it's either delusional or a 300+ lbs obese guy who wear a XXXXL t-shirt to his knees and would die of a heart attack before getting his pocket Glock out of his 60" waist 5.11 tactical cargo pants,

Some people live lives where a flat, subcompact / pocket 9MM is desirable - mainly because we want to enjoy life and a flat pistol allows us to dress / act like everyone else we hang out with, especially here in the hot south.

BOOSTjunkie
09-22-13, 17:10
Have you considered a J-Frame?

If the G26 isn't an option, then I'd recommend the Walther PPS.

another great options... i prefer the 340 or 360 myself

Rampy
11-03-13, 02:38
We have been looking around at pistols for HH6 and a daughter, they both like shooting the M&P9c and the wife can CCP that in a Raven Concealment holster OWB but it's a tad large for her & almost to large for the daughter.

Have narrowed the search down to the Shield and the 290rs & the one gun shop within 150 miles that rents pistols to shot does not have either one to rent.

Not shooting either one both HH6 and the daughter favor the P290rs so we are looking at getting a 290rs to try for them.

Jot sure of the holster, a Crossbreed Mini Tuck or possibly Texas Heritage IWB as the daughter is very petite & the smaller the holster the better for her... but the Southern Sidekick from R Grizzle Leather is a very interesting holster.

Mike169
11-03-13, 07:59
I'll get flamed for this..

If you're looking for a single stack 9, I'd go for the kahr. Yes there are some bad kahrs out there, but the majority are flawless after their 200 round break in (which is truly very important with this gun).. The trigger is smooth and responsive, the gun is very shootable, and it's quite concealable.

Although I'd definitely give a nod to the g26. With my MTAC holster I can easily conceal even when wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I think people vastly overestimate printing and whether or not it's noticed.

Tomac
11-03-13, 08:03
Wife and I both own Kahrs (although I EDC my P290RS). Great little pistol if size/weight are primary considerations.
However, the light weight can make recoil uncomfortable and the recoil springs are very stiff, requiring a good deal of strength to cycle manually.
Still worth checkin' out, though...
Tomac

SiGfever
11-03-13, 09:11
When I need smaller than my G26 the Kahr PM9 gets carried. It has been a very reliable pistol and the build quality is nice. When I pull the trigger it does "Bang". I recently sold my P2000SK in 9mm because I just couldn't warm up to the LEM trigger system, some people love it and I have tried V1 and V2 of the LEM and it was just not for me. Also like all HK pistols is was a little tank built to make it into the after life, but heavy to carry all day. just my $.015

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7789/img1013medium5zh.jpg

walkin' trails
11-03-13, 10:25
I am also a G26 fan for CCE, or a J-frame airweight being the absolute minimum to leave the house with. That said, I have also looked at these micro 9s in the role of BUG or really minimal summer dress (or work out) because they come in a fighting caliber. I do believe there is a place for them. I have handled a number if them, including the Shield, P290, the Kahrs, and the Rugers. I have fired the Kahrs and the Rugers. I still believe that anything smaller than the Shield has a trigger that needs to be re-thought at the factory engineering level. But that is my personal opinion.

I have handled the P290, and thought it was a nice sized pistol, but like the 938 better. I have read a number of reviews on these micro guns and all of them share one thing in common; the need for a thorough break-in in order to be considered reliable. They need proper lube and a good 300-500 rounds put thru them before they should be considered reliable for carry 50-100 of those rounds should be the hollow point defensive round the owner intends to rely on.

The triggers on these little guns require a lot of dry fire in order to master. I have run into a lot of folks experienced with Glock-type triggers who complain that the Js are so inaccurate or hard to shoot. While not PPC revolvers, they're not as bad you hear if the shooter works with them. I would say the same is true with the micro 9s.

BIGUGLY
11-03-13, 14:10
I use the Beretta Nano as my secondary weapon or bug. It is very shootable and I have not had any problems. I have to use the same qualification course as our issue firearms. I score the same with my Glock 22 as I do with my Nano, 50 shots on a Q target at 25 yards and in. I always shoot a perfect score unless goofing around or really trying to push for speed.

I was actually impressed with shooting from 25 yards. it was easy to put all the rounds on target.

Rampy
11-03-13, 17:48
See, the gun's not for me, my daily carry is a G19 in a Raven Concealment holster, she works great for me...or I grab the M&P 9mm...

The pistol is for HH6 and a daughter who is extremely petite...I'm not a fan of the Kahr as I've seen to many malfunctions...but I also know it's a good quality pistol unlike so many others. both HH6 and the girl child do not like them...just like the don't like the nano...it's all about what they like & enjoy shooting, they must pick the pistol with some guidance...must have a buy in of it...and they both can't stand Glock, the 19 or the 26...

Then the entire holster thing pops up as RC does not make a holster for the 290....

Flip side the price is such I can sell the 290 and not take a beating withit...but mags are stupid expensive if/when ya can find em...