PDA

View Full Version : SOF Handgun Selection

Unkle Kurt
09-22-13, 17:09
My original post to the SME asked a lot of questions in reference to how weapons are chosen for different missions the Special Operations Forces (SOF) are deployed on. However, I did not get the response I had hoped for and righteously so.

I decided to bring my original question here. With a pretty much unlimited arsenal at the disposal of the SOF, what is/are the deciding factors that may warrant the use of a 45 over a 9mm being carried into combat or vice versa? Why would you take the Mk25 over the Mk24? In what circumstances would the selection be the opposite?

I ask this because in an interview, former Navy Seal Richard Machowicz put it this way "The mission dictates the target, the target dictates the weapons and the weapons dictate how they're used".

RHINOWSO
09-22-13, 18:06
Need to suppress and personal preference.

You're over thinking it.

ST911
09-22-13, 20:14
For the benefit of all, your question to LAV and his response is here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=135951

I ask this because in an interview, former Navy Seal Richard Machowicz put it this way "The mission dictates the target, the target dictates the weapons and the weapons dictate how they're used".

I think your post above answers your own question. Mission drives the gear. Anyone that's capable of answering in detail probably isn't going to in an open forum.