PDA

View Full Version : Glock Armorer question re Channel Liner

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 17:36
Let me premise this question by saying that i'm a Glock Armorer. I purchased a new G17 Gen4 4 today. Spent casing is dated Aug 15, 2013. Prior to shooting it I did what most of us do; replace the sights w/ something we prefer. Then detail strip and clean. This included taking out the striker assembly. As I took out the striker assembly the channel liner came out also. I slipped it back in and put everything back together. Took the striker out again and sure enough the channel liner came with it. This time I wiped the excess oil that came with the liner off and replaced it in the channel as deep as I could. When I took the striker out for a third time the liner stayed put. I don't remember anything about the liner being discussed at the class or have seen this happen in 20 years of handling dozens on Glocks. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm taking the gun to the GSSF match in Salt Lake City on Friday and wonder if this is something that should be mentioned or even addressed by the armorer who is there? Has anyone ever even had to replace a channel liner?

samuse
09-23-13, 17:56
You talkin' about the plastic cylinder shaped piece with the slot in it for the striker cruciform?

If so, all of mine came out with the striker when I pulled the slide apart. Usually 3 or 4 times a year on 3 or 4 Glocks for the past 10 years...

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 18:21
No. I'm referring to the striker liner inside the slide. Not to be rude but the question was intentionally directed at armorers. Its a part one should never have to see.

CoryCop25
09-23-13, 18:27
From what I can recall in my armorer's class in July, if the liner comes out, it's no big deal. Try to take a punch that fits in there and tap it in a little. Do not hit it too hard that it will deform the liner. If it bothers you too much, replace it (I probably would).

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 18:38
The part itself was in perfectly good condition though very oily. Seems to be in there tight now though I haven't shot the gun yet. I know there is a specific tool for its removal. Again has anyone ever dealt with this issue?

ST911
09-23-13, 19:29
Again has anyone ever dealt with this issue?

I've seen it several times over the years, various models and variants. No big deal.

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 19:41
[QUOTE=Skintop911;1755040]I've seen it several times over the years, various models and variants. No big deal.

Thank you. Is it normal for so much oil to around the plastic? Should I try to take it back out and degrease?

Chameleox
09-23-13, 20:09
Thank you. Is it normal for so much oil to around the plastic? Should I try to take it back out and degrease?

The oil part sounds unusual, especially for a part that's supposed to fit in a channel that's supposed to be pretty dry.

If its in there pretty solid now, though, I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe put a very thin patch down there to mop up any excess if its very oily, but if its staying put, I wouldn't try to force it out unless you have a spare handy. I'd pay close attention to the striker channel the next time you detail strip the slide.

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 20:16
Thank you.

C4IGrant
09-23-13, 20:18
Pretty normal on older guns (that are heavily worn) to see them come out. Don't know if I have seen a new gun exhibit this though.

No need for lube in the channel. So I would degrease it.

C4

StrikerFired
09-23-13, 20:20
I agree, it sounds like it was just over oiled when shipped. As long as it seems to be in place now and not peeking out don't worry about it. You may want to stop by the Armorer there, but as long the function test is OK I wouldn't sweat it.

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 20:24
It was as if it wasn't pushed in all the way to begin with. Thank you.

Breacher 217
09-23-13, 20:49
I remember in my class the instructor said to use a 5/16 bolt to partially thread into the sleeve before pulling the sleeve out to replace. I maintain 60 department Glocks and have never had one come out. If it comes out again I would degrease and reinsert or replace.

PLCedeno
09-23-13, 21:24
Just came out again. I degreased and replaced. Hopefully the armorer in Salt Lake City will have a spare just in case. Very irritating to see this before I even fire the gun.

ST911
09-23-13, 21:43
My most recent FP channel liner was on a gen4 G17 purchased late this summer with a few hundred rounds on it. Followed by a G23 that's a couple of years old.

Usually occurs in older guns, but not unseen in newer.

T2C
09-23-13, 21:49
Let me premise this question by saying that i'm a Glock Armorer. I purchased a new G17 Gen4 4 today. Spent casing is dated Aug 15, 2013. Prior to shooting it I did what most of us do; replace the sights w/ something we prefer. Then detail strip and clean. This included taking out the striker assembly. As I took out the striker assembly the channel liner came out also. I slipped it back in and put everything back together. Took the striker out again and sure enough the channel liner came with it. This time I wiped the excess oil that came with the liner off and replaced it in the channel as deep as I could. When I took the striker out for a third time the liner stayed put. I don't remember anything about the liner being discussed at the class or have seen this happen in 20 years of handling dozens on Glocks. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm taking the gun to the GSSF match in Salt Lake City on Friday and wonder if this is something that should be mentioned or even addressed by the armorer who is there? Has anyone ever even had to replace a channel liner?

It's nothing to worry about. If the liner is not chewed up, just slip it back into the slide and don't give it a second thought.

PLCedeno
09-24-13, 05:11
My most recent FP channel liner was on a gen4 G17 purchased late this summer with a few hundred rounds on it. Followed by a G23 that's a couple of years old.

Usually occurs in older guns, but not unseen in newer.

Hmm, my Gen 4 G17 is born on Aug 14th. Maybe someone in Smyrna likes oil in the wrong place.

PLCedeno
09-24-13, 05:14
It's nothing to worry about. If the liner is not chewed up, just slip it back into the slide and don't give it a second thought.

Thank you. Though I would tend to agree, not having seen it before gave me pause. BTW there is nothing in the Armorer's manual re this issue.

T2C
09-24-13, 05:51
Thank you. Though I would tend to agree, not having seen it before gave me pause. BTW there is nothing in the Armorer's manual re this issue.

The first time I attended a Glock armorer's course this topic was mentioned by the instructor. He told us that the firing pin channel liner comes out on it's own sometimes during disassembly and not to worry about it.

I have only seen it a few times on pistols I serviced during our annual firing pin check and it never caused any problems. It happened with service pistols issued to people who applied a lot of lube after cleaning. I would leave a note with the pistol stating "weapon clean, leaks oil".

Campbell
09-24-13, 06:45
I always remove them prior to re-finish...I have never had one come out on its own...but some will come out very easily, without damage. A new one is easily inserted dry, not sure why yours was super-lubed.

hotrodder636
09-24-13, 07:03
**Disclaimer**. I am not an armorer.
However I found this video to be fairly informational.
http://youtu.be/FihahR8mhCU

JonInWA
09-24-13, 07:26
I've had it occur on older Gen 2 Glocks I've serviced; never on a new one-but that said, it's not a big deal. Prior to re-inserting, clean/degrease the channel liner itself and its chamber in the slide. If there's indications of internal wear, replace it with a new one (the purpose of the channel liner is to provide a stable, smooth self-lubricating housing to ensure consistant striker centering on the cartridge's primer)-wear can lead to striker wobble/uncentered firing pin strikes. When replacing, remember that the end with the subtle beveling goes towards the muzzle of the gun.

Best, Jon

PLCedeno
09-24-13, 10:53
I spoke with CS this morning. A master armorer explained that most likely oil was inadvertently added to the channel liner. They are sending a new one. Interestingly enough I was transferred as soon as I requested a master armorer.

mayonaise
09-24-13, 17:25
Glock slides are oily inside and out from the manufacturing/finishing process. Always a good idea to field strip the slide and remove the oil and copper lube anyway.

The channel liner is designed to only go in, in one specific direction. There's a taper on one end that goes in first. If yours comes out, clean it, and clean the FP channel removing any oil and residue. Re-insert the liner taper end first. If you don't have the tool carefully push it into place.

It really doesn't matter if the liner comes out with the FP assembly. It IS important that the liner is used. The plastic spring cups need to ride inside the liner. If the liner isn't in place the striker is not likely to move freely inside the FP channel. A loose liner is mostly just an inconvenience.

If you have your slide refinished, the heat and chemicals will likely damage the liner and it will need to be replaced. Always a good idea to plug the channel anyway. As finishes like cerikote etc.. sometimes prevent the liner from staying put after the fact.

PLCedeno
09-25-13, 05:09
BTW even after full degrease the liner continues to slide out. I hope its just an out of spec liner.

T2C
09-25-13, 07:09
I would just put the pistol back together and shoot it.

kantstudien
09-25-13, 09:31
If it bothers you, just install a new one for $2.50.

I've never had one come out easily.

PLCedeno
09-25-13, 10:38
I'm going to shoot it all weekend. Hate to see this on a new gun but not a big deal I think. Hopefully a new one takes care of it and it's not an out of speck channel.

PLCedeno
09-28-13, 19:02
Update:
Took it to the armorer at the GSSF match at Salt Lake City. I explained the problem and received a speech about how I didn't let the channel liner get seated by shooting it first before detail stripping. I never heard that before but I figured it made sense plus I just wanted it fixed. He installed a new one and I fired 200 rounds at the match. No problems at the match. The brass flew out in a perfect pattern to the right. Cleaned the gun at the hotel and detailed stripped. The new liner comes out easier than the first! Not happy. Many of you will say not a big deal. I would probably say the same thing if it weren't my gun. Would any of you send it back to Smyrna if it were yours?

ST911
09-28-13, 19:05
Would any of you send it back to Smyrna if it were yours?

Nope.

PLCedeno
09-28-13, 19:20
Nope.

Meaning leave it as is?

ST911
09-28-13, 19:26
Meaning leave it as is?

Yup. Just reinstall and shoot it.

PLCedeno
09-28-13, 19:47
Huh. Looks like I may not have much of a choice. I think the channel is out of spec.

ST911
09-28-13, 19:51
Huh. Looks like I may not have much of a choice. I think the channel is out of spec.

Without having it in hand, I can only offer that anything is possible. However, if you have good striker travel, good FP protrusion and strikes, proper function otherwise, I wouldn't worry about. As I posted earlier, I've had guns with loose liners. It happens.

Firecop203
09-28-13, 20:55
When I went through the school 3 years ago, they told us that the striker should remain free and dry of grease and oil. Also, that to be removed, the channel would have to be removed with a tool and once removed, replaced due to the damage that the tool would cause.

brushy bill
09-29-13, 14:20
Update:
SNIP: Would any of you send it back to Smyrna if it were yours?

No. It is functioning fine. I would not worry about this in the least.

williejc
09-30-13, 18:20
The sleeves probably vary from lot to lot to a small degree. On a 3rd gen of mine, it falls out . I put it back.

williejc
09-30-13, 18:21
The liners probably vary from lot to lot to a small degree. On a 3rd gen of mine, it falls out . I put it back.

PLCedeno
09-30-13, 20:51
The liners probably vary from lot to lot to a small degree. On a 3rd gen of mine, it falls out . I put it back.

I believe you have the definitive answer. As I arrived from the airport there it was in a ground FedEx envelope. The channel liner I ordered from Smyrna when I first reported the problem. It fits real tight.

StrikerFired
09-30-13, 21:10
That makes the most amount of sense. I hope that fixes it for you and you just get to enjoy shooting that new Glock! My Gen 3 G17 is closing in on 10,000 rounds and is still chugging along.