PDA

View Full Version : Mini RDS choices for pistols...

K.L. Davis
09-23-13, 22:09
Help me with my homework... I need to find out what the two most popular/preferred mini RDS setups are for autoloaders. Do no worry about fit, how they mount, machining the slide or any of that... what are your druthers?

I am looking for the best choice in two categories:

1. Top end - the best choice for a sight regardless of price.

2. Best deal - the choice for a MRDS that is priced towards the lower end... but no compromise, no junk.

Thanks for your help!

EzGoingKev
09-23-13, 23:17
Are you on LF? There is a good thread over there with lots of info?

Ryno12
09-24-13, 06:15
Cat#1-Trijicon RMR or Leopold Deltapoint

Cat#2-Burris FastFire3

Sent via Tapatalk

DTakas
09-24-13, 06:27
- - - - -

Campbell
09-24-13, 06:33
Top end most toughest most rugged and probably the most popular would be the Trijicon RMR.

Best priced good quality alternative (in my personal opinion) is the old Trijicon Red Dot, still available from JP Enterprises as the JPoint. Not as rugged as the RMR but still a good quality sight. The Jpoint is much smaller and sleeker, and it has a notch built into the body below the glass which when properly milled into the slide acts like the rear sight notch (that actually matches the height of the factory sights) eliminating the need for a new rear sight dovetail and suppressor height sights.

^^^^ This is also my experience.

CFII
09-24-13, 11:01
I am partial to the T1 ATOM combo. It's bulletproof

Airborne Infantryman
09-25-13, 02:25
High End- Trijicon RMR
Low End - Fast Fire 3

However......"buy once, cry once".....I would not trust the FF3 on anything but a range toy. I had to return two of them before I said "screw it" and got a refund. The auto adjust on my first FF3 didn't work, and the auto-off didn't work on the second FF3 I had.

Moving on......I'm partial to the RMR.....particularly the 6.5 MOA RM02. No buttons to mess with, auto adjust works wonderfully......

Some of the older LED RMRs had issues.....however, if your RMR has a data matrix barcode on the right side, it's a newer model with the reinforced electronics and latest improvements.

If you hate batteries, go with the Dual Illuminated models...just be aware of their limitations. I have pistols with both, and prefer the LED so far.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/9929358774_553cbcb44b_o.jpg

EzGoingKev
09-25-13, 07:48
Moving on......I'm partial to the RMR.....particularly the 6.5 MOA RM02. No buttons to mess with, auto adjust works wonderfully......

You can lose the dot with the auto adjust and dual illuminated RMR's.

With the manual adjusted units you can crank up the dot brightness so you do not lose it.

MrMiller
09-25-13, 07:49
...if your RMR has a data matrix barcode on the right side, it's a newer model with the reinforced electronics and latest improvements.

There were also some shipped that had a sticker on top with that same barcode (2D barcode) before they got their laser engraver capability up and running.

montrala
09-25-13, 08:10
I recently did some testing for magazine article on mini RDS mounted on pistol slide. Tested were Docter Sight III, Burris FastFire III, Leupold Deltapoint, Aimpoint Micro T1, Vortex Razor Red Dot. Unfortunately Trijicon distributor was unable to provide mounting solution for Glock 17, so I did not test it, only "fondled". My findings from this selection are:

High End: Aimpoint MicroT1/H1 or Vortex Razor (Aimpoint is big and heavy, but bulletproof; Vortex is solid piece of work as well).

Low End: Burris FastFire III (but not poor sight by any means, only not as bulletproof as Aimpoint or Vortex - actually winner of test when price factor considered).

goteron
09-25-13, 14:05
Most of the Unity guys shoot RMR's, either the RM02 or RM06. But we also like the Micro's for some specific applications.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. The adjustable RMR's are great for working with WML's as are the Micros.

denn1911
09-25-13, 18:48
I have two RMR'd pistols. I have a Gen4 G17 with a RMR07 and an M&P45 with an RMR02. They're very robust, have held their zeros and make precision shots fast and easy. I'm hard on my gear, and these have held up well. I'm toying with adding another RMR (possibly another 07) to a G19. I had an M&P9 with a DeltaPoint, but it didn't impress me. I sold it, bought an RMR and never looked back.

El Cid
09-25-13, 19:13
My understanding from reading about the guys who push them hard (think Hilton Yam has a report at Modern Service Weapons) is that the technology isn't ready yet for slide mounted success. I seem to recall he had at least 5 RMR's fail.

If they worked, I'd want to use the Insight MRDS I have on a rifle. Small and light. The dot auto dims/brightens based on your environment. Battery life isn't at Aimpoint levels but its very good.

ETA: you can also change the battery on top w/o removal of the sight.

Mak8080
09-25-13, 20:48
Top of the heap would go to the Trijicon RMR (adjustable LED).

The affordable version would go to the old Trijicon Doctor (7 MOA?) or Red dot sights MS03 (I think it was 8 MOA). I personally liked the red dot version over the doctor. I have about 5 of them and all worked for years and years until the RMR came along.

yoni
09-27-13, 11:15
I have had great luck with the RMR's on my pistols. The RMR's have held up in Afrika, when I had a folding Cold steel knife stop working due to the conditions.

supplex
09-27-13, 21:41
You can lose the dot with the auto adjust and dual illuminated RMR's.

With the manual adjusted units you can crank up the dot brightness so you do not lose it.

I'm a fan of the RMR, especially in the adjustable field.

As a charging device, it's awesome. Think disabled off hand arm.

The way of the future, IMO. FN had it pegged, except for the fact that the FNX is a 2x4 in my hands

denn1911
09-27-13, 21:58
My understanding from reading about the guys who push them hard (think Hilton Yam has a report at Modern Service Weapons) is that the technology isn't ready yet for slide mounted success.

My personal experience and in reading the experiences of others are that the pistol mounted RMR's are performing well. I'm not doubting that Hilton had some RMR's not make it through his training and/or testing, but there are many guys who have had the opposite experience.