PDA

View Full Version : School me on the Glock 17L & 34.

Straight Shooter
09-25-13, 09:48
Gents..I HAVE used the search button here, and elsewhere. If Ive missed it, please forgive.
My questions today concern the 17L & 34 Glocks. Never seen a 17L, and only handled a 34. Ill just list my questions numerically, and yall can answer any of them you can. And I really appreciate your help/info.
1. What parts are "extended" on either gun? Mag release, slide lock, ect.
2. Either have a mag funnel/guide on magwell?
3. Trigger pull on either gun...the same or lighter than a standard 17/19?
4. What night sights would yall recommend for defense/target/completion shooting?
5. What is the ballistic advantage of either over a G17?
6.Are the recoil spring guide rods poly or steel?
7. What spring rates are recommended for either?
8.Does one model have an advantage/dis-advantage over the other?
9. What mods are commonly done to either, besides sights?
10. Do either model suffer from the current maladies some Glocks are experiencing, like my 17, poor ejection/extraction ect?
11. Do they still make either in Gen 3 or are they all Gen 4 now?
I may have more questions soon, but for now this is all. All answers appreciated!!

Palmguy
09-25-13, 10:18
Frames are identical to G17 (no extended funnel, etc).
G34 comes with extended slide stop/release and extended mag release.
Gen3 G34 comes with either the standard connector or the minus connector. Most commercial guns (non blue label) should have the minus connector (lighter trigger pull).
Gen3 guns have the same poly guide rod/recoil spring that the G17 uses.

sadmin
09-25-13, 10:20
I own both, I answered what I could below your questions.

Gents..I HAVE used the search button here, and elsewhere. If Ive missed it, please forgive.
My questions today concern the 17L & 34 Glocks. Never seen a 17L, and only handled a 34. Ill just list my questions numerically, and yall can answer any of them you can. And I really appreciate your help/info.
1. What parts are "extended" on either gun? Mag release, slide lock, ect.
2. Either have a mag funnel/guide on magwell?
no
3. Trigger pull on either gun...the same or lighter than a standard 17/19?
3.5 I think, ill confirm when I get home; which is lighter than 17&19 I own both
4. What night sights would yall recommend for defense/target/completion shooting?
I like a fiber front for comp. and some sort of black rear with a trij. front
5. What is the ballistic advantage of either over a G17?
Not sure here, though the 17&34 difference is pretty minimal
6.Are the recoil spring guide rods poly or steel?
poly
7. What spring rates are recommended for either?
8.Does one model have an advantage/dis-advantage over the other?
17L wont work for IDPA, its too long. Its really just a hobby gun IMO. The 34 would be the choice.
9. What mods are commonly done to either, besides sights?
on 34, grip tape. done.
10. Do either model suffer from the current maladies some Glocks are experiencing, like my 17, poor ejection/extraction ect?
Not on either of my gen3s.
11. Do they still make either in Gen 3 or are they all Gen 4 now?
I think 17L is gen 3 only.
I may have more questions soon, but for now this is all. All answers appreciated!!

Straight Shooter
09-25-13, 10:36
WOW... great answers right off the bat. THANKS! Keep em coming please.

samuse
09-25-13, 11:30
I've gone back and forth between a 17 and 34 in competition and outshot myself every time with a 19.

I had a new 17L in '09 and it was BTF one. We didn't realize it then, but it definitely suffered from all of the current problems.

Straight Shooter
09-25-13, 11:36
samuse-
If you HAD to pick one..which would it be and why?

Big A
09-25-13, 12:34
They are both the same except for barrel/slide length. The 34 complies with the rules for IDPA and the 17L does not. They both have the "-" connector.

Back around July I was at my LGS and I asked about a Gen4 34 and they said they got one in and sold it that same day so I didn't actually see it to confirm they exsist. They do a ton of business and move a lot of Glocks

I have a 17L that I have yet to shoot because I've been using my ammo and range time with my 19 and 17 to focus on my skills and not just plinking. Had it about a year and a half. I bought it because I had never seen one and heard they were really rare. A few weeks after the same store had about twelve 17L's and 24's in their case.

sadmin
09-25-13, 12:38
Ill answer that question as well just for another data point.

If I had zero glocks and wanted one to carry & compete with, IDPA in my situation as USPSA isnt close proximity wise, it would be a 19.

If I had a 19 and was choosing between a 17 & 34 to compete with and use as a HD/all around hip gun; I would choose a 17.

If I wanted to take IDPA seriously and money was a non-issue, I would get the 34.

Thats my rookie .02. FWIW, I shoot my 19 more than anything and enjoy using it in IDPA as well.

Straight Shooter
09-25-13, 12:44
sadmin-
You don't sound like no rookie to me...thank you much for the info!
The 19...Ive some time with them, and do like them, but all my life Ive loved full sized, or long barreled guns. LOVE my 17, it aint going nowhere. Im just itching for a long Glock, hell I cant explain it no better than that.

sadmin
09-25-13, 13:08
Understand completely, Im the same way. Definately the 34 then, tons more holster options. I wear mine when im at my folks ranch where the meth labs are tucked deep in the east texas woods.

Gutshot John
09-25-13, 16:08
My G34 is a thing of beauty, shoots like a freaking laser and it's noticeably quieter (not hearing safe) with the longer barrel, much less concussion.

It's almost cheating.

My little girl hands required a grip reduction/texturing/groove removal, half moon cutouts at the mag well, and had some trigger work and competition pro-sights put on it.

Do I CCW it?

No.

JBecker 72
09-25-13, 16:17
I've gone back and forth between a 17 and 34 in competition and outshot myself every time with a 19.

I'm the same way, I shoot better with my 19 than my 34. Have no idea why that is either.

El Cid
09-25-13, 18:44
According to the Glock website the triggers are 5.5lb for the 17/19, 4.5 for the 34, and 3.5 for the 17L. That matches the feel of my pistols. They get progressively lighter.

I love my 17L but it stays in my nightstand. It's too long for practical carry and if that's a concern, the choice in holsters is much more for a 34. The only thing I'd change about my 17L is to make it a Gen 4 but that isn't an option.

I use the 10-8 sights with brass bead but am planning to change the front to a Trijicon HD orange. The balance when shooting it is great! I don't expect there is much advantage for most of us shooters.

If you do want a 17L they can be tough to locate as they don't produce them all the time. Currently DSG Arms has them.

rathos
09-25-13, 22:33
the 17L is producted every other year from my understanding just like the .40 call G24.

My experience is the 17L is harder to get holsters for and is super long. Great triggers for a glock, pretty light.

The 34 has much more accessory support and is a great compromise if you want a longer pistol but still want to be able to support it. It has one of the only stock glock triggers that doesn't require me to practice for a few hundred rounds to get back on target with it. (never been great with glocks).

I have a recent Glock 34, so far I haven't had any BTF issues but I have only put around 600 rounds through it and about 50 of those were Speer 124 grain +P

Straight Shooter
09-25-13, 22:36
I really appreciate yalls feedback. Any holster recs. for owb carry, and whats the "go to" holster for competition these days?
Also...what load do most of you shoot for comp? Really leaning towards the 34.

theblackknight
09-25-13, 22:56
I'll share this.

I just basically "traded" my long kept M&P FS and 9 Pro 5" for a g19 and g17.

I didnt think that the extra inch of slide really gains you much tangible besides maybe a couple FPS. This is being said after shooting a 17L also.

rathos
09-26-13, 00:04
mine seems to like the heavy stuff. I have been shooting a lot of 124 grain Geco brand and 147 grain federal american eagle (issued practice ammo). I haven't done any bench testing for accuracy but they both seem to go where I am aiming. 115s seem to be harder to group. I also replaced my sights with Heinie straight 8s.

samuse
09-26-13, 05:47
samuse-
If you HAD to pick one..which would it be and why?

Between a 17L & 34?

34 hands down. I like to shoot matches and the only place a 17L can play is in open. A 34 can shoot in Production or Limited Minor if you really want to load the mags...

RIGPIG
09-26-13, 21:37
Gen4 Glock 34s are plentiful in this area, all my LGS have them in stock. They come with the beavertail backstraps and the regular backstraps. I've been looking for a 17L for awhile, and gave up and am building my own from a stripped frame. Years ago, before the 34, IPSC banned the 17L because it was dominating the competitions. As others posted, it doesn't fit in the IDPA box either. You could probably get away with it at a local match, but not at sanctioned matches. The 34 was designed to take the place of the 17L, yet fit in the regulation boxes. There was enough demand for the 17L that Glock produces 1k or so every 2-3 years. If you find one, don't pass it up.

RIGPIG
09-26-13, 21:44
1. What parts are "extended" on either gun? Mag release, slide release, slide, barrel
2. Either have a mag funnel/guide on magwell? No
3. Trigger pull on either gun...the same or lighter than a standard 17/19? Lighter, 4.5lb connectors (used to be called 3.5lb) v. 5.5lb connector in 17/19
4. What night sights would yall recommend for defense/target/completion shooting? Trijicon HD
5. What is the ballistic advantage of either over a G17? Longer barrel, longer sight radius
6.Are the recoil spring guide rods poly or steel? Poly
7. What spring rates are recommended for either? Factory is 16lb, light loads function well with 13lb
8.Does one model have an advantage/dis-advantage over the other? 34 is legal for all shooting sports, 17L is good for 3gun and USPSA Limited
9. What mods are commonly done to either, besides sights? Magwell, extended base pads, stippling, KKM barrel, lightened trigger, lightened slide
10. Do either model suffer from the current maladies some Glocks are experiencing, like my 17, poor ejection/extraction ect? Haven't heard/read as many as with the 19
11. Do they still make either in Gen 3 or are they all Gen 4 now? 17L is gen3, 34 they have started making in gen4

Straight Shooter
09-27-13, 06:46
Thanks to all yall who responded, excellent info. Handled one yesterday at my lgs and love. I see one coming home with soon!
I appreciate all the answers.

RIGPIG
09-27-13, 07:52
Thanks to all yall who responded, excellent info. Handled one yesterday at my lgs and love. I see one coming home with soon!
I appreciate all the answers.

What did you handle?

Straight Shooter
09-27-13, 08:26
Sorry...I handled a G34 for several minutes. Like it a lot. No 17L's to be found, of course. But, Ive decided on the 34 anyhow.

yoni
09-27-13, 10:56
Glock 34 or 35 in .357 sig are my favorite Glocks.

I carry a 34 every day when I am in afrika and when back in the USA I tend to carry the model 35 in .357 sig.

I have ground off the finger grooves and made the pistol fit my hand as best as I can. It is not a Hi Power which is the best feeling pistol in my hand but it works.

I looked at a Glock 17L but passed on it as I like the looks of the slide on the 34/35 better.

givo08
09-27-13, 11:01
Like others have said here, I shoot my 19 as well as my 34 at close range inside 15 yards, but when you push the distance to 25-50 yards under any kind of time pressure, that longer sight radius is going to be much more forgiving on the 34.

Most shots in idpa are too easy to really see the difference between the two.

ptmccain
09-27-13, 12:18
Here's my Glock 34 "recipe"

Glock 34 Gen 4
Replace sights with MePros.
Remove finger grooves.
Dremel trigger guard a bit.
Stipple handle.
Replace springs and trigger with Zev-Tech trigger, etc.
Put mags extensions on stock mags, 20 round total capacity.

Enjoy the awesomeness.

RIGPIG
09-27-13, 15:59
Here's my Glock 34 "recipe"

Glock 34 Gen 4
Replace sights with MePros.
Remove finger grooves.
Dremel trigger guard a bit.
Stipple handle.
Replace springs and trigger with Zev-Tech trigger, etc.
Put mags extensions on stock mags, 20 round total capacity.

Enjoy the awesomeness.

Meprolights are, eh, alright for carry guns, but the 34 is more of a competition/target pistol. Dawson Precision adjustable rear and F/O front is a much better choice. If you want to get good with your pistol, ditch the 3 dot sight system. They teach you to be lazy about getting a good sight picture. I blackout the dots on my M&Ps with my wife's nail polish. Also, if you're adding mag extensions, get some DP or TTI 140mm extensions, will let your 17rd mag hold 23.

kaltesherz
09-29-13, 20:39
Just got a Blue Label G34, threw on some Trijicon's, Vickers mag release and slide stop, and a grip plug and after shooting it for the first time today love this thing. My GF even told me it's her new fav gun of mine, shoots like a dream and feels great with my X300U on it. With +2 baseplates it gives me 19+1 as my nightstand gun.

PS- None of the issues I keep hearing about recent Glocks- 100% reliable and not a single casing to the face.

NYH1
09-30-13, 00:53
I really like my G34. I put the standard trigger connector in it that most of the Glock's use. I shoot it really well. I just have to have some Trijicons put on it and it'll make a good carry gun for the next 6 months.

NYH1.

RIGPIG
09-30-13, 07:20
Just got a Blue Label G34, threw on some Trijicon's, Vickers mag release and slide stop, and a grip plug and after shooting it for the first time today love this thing. My GF even told me it's her new fav gun of mine, shoots like a dream and feels great with my X300U on it. With +2 baseplates it gives me 19+1 as my nightstand gun.

PS- None of the issues I keep hearing about recent Glocks- 100% reliable and not a single casing to the face.

I'm curious as to how long ago you ordered that Blue Label G34. I ordered one back in April and still haven't gotten it in yet.

yoni
09-30-13, 10:11
I forgot to say that all my Glocks now sport the DOT connector which I think is a much better way to go than any of the other connectors.

kaltesherz
09-30-13, 11:15
I'm curious as to how long ago you ordered that Blue Label G34. I ordered one back in April and still haven't gotten it in yet.

What is this "ordered it" thing you speak of... I looked up all the Blue Label dealers in my area, called till I found one in stock at $509 and bought it. Had fixed polymer sights and I think the standard 5.5 connector (which is what I wanted), so a few simple mods and done.

I had heard they were hard to find, I guess I just lucked out.