PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK G19 g3. Cut it or sell it and get a g4?

danpass
09-29-13, 17:00
For the first time I was able to shoot a G19g4 and it fit my hand much better than my g3.

On a sidenote I put in a 30274 ejector last night, fired today and it was much improved. I think the apex extractor will make it perfect.

I've begun building my semiauto setup around the g19 so I'd like to stick with that.

RIGPIG
09-29-13, 17:40
Are you asking about a grip reduction on your Gen3 versus selling and buying a Gen4? The Gen4 grip is alot smaller, and you can tailor it to fit your grip somewhat with backstraps. It becomes a question of whether you have the skills and know-how to do the grip reduction yourself, and how much you can recoup by selling it and then spending the higher retail price on the Gen4. A used Gen3 G19 typically sells for $425-450, while a new Gen4 will cost an average of $579.

13MPG
09-29-13, 20:44
If the Gen4 fits you better get it. The cost difference between what you can expect to get for your Gen3 and a new Gen4 is less that what you'll pay to have the work done.

While I still plan on having some grip work done down the road switching to Gen4's for my carry guns has worked out well for me.

theblackknight
09-29-13, 23:56
Havent you heard? Gen4's will throw brass through your eye pro and eat your 1st born.

gun71530
09-30-13, 00:21
Havent you heard? Gen4's will throw brass through your eye pro and eat your 1st born.

LOL, I heard that they were made by Satan himself.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ericl
09-30-13, 00:29
I would say sell the Gen3 and get the Gen4. If the Gen4 feels the way you want, that is the way to go. There are people out there doing great grip mods/texturing on Gen3s, but the money you will spend having that done (done well, by a reputable person) will far exceed the cost of switching to the Gen4. In addition, the second you do a grip mod, no more warrantee work from Glock. Try to get a Gen4 that was produced very recently. Even if you end up with ejection issues, the fix is inexpensive and easy to do. Good luck and enjoy whichever choice you make.....after all, it is your $$$ and you can't go wrong either way!

NYH1
09-30-13, 00:38
danpass, to bad we're so far away from one another. I might be in the market for a Gen 3 G19 shortly.

NYH1.

RIGPIG
09-30-13, 07:36
In addition, the second you do a grip mod, no more warrantee work from Glock.

As if Glock has a warranty worth worrying about. It's a one year limited warranty. If you take your Glock down past field stripping it, you voided your warranty. It's one of the shittiest warranties in the industry, I wouldn't worry about it, because chances are, you'll never need it. Issues with Glock can be remedied by the least experienced of shooters. Know how to push a pin out of a hole? You can fix a Glock. Like I said, if you can sell and recoup your money on the gen3, it'd almost be a wash v. sending in your frame to have it reduced. Zev and Taran Tactical both charge around $140 IIRC.

danpass
09-30-13, 09:26
danpass, to bad we're so far away from one another. I might be in the market for a Gen 3 G19 shortly.

NYH1.
If you're really interested I'll leave the new Heine Straight 8 tritium night sights on there :D.

Cylinder Head
09-30-13, 10:41

I shot one and it took my soul, then the slide flew off the gun and impaled my fiancée in the forehead like like the movie Phantasm.

Psalms144.1
09-30-13, 10:52
Dan - I think it's a wash, cost wise. What you'll lose on the sale of your 3rd Gen, and the difference in purchase cost of a Gen4, is more than likely going to be more than the cost of sending your pistol out to a quality smith and having the grip customized to your liking.

If you think you have a reliable, fully functioning 3rd Gen G19, I would send it out for a reduction and stippling, rather than gambling on getting a Gen4 that works. If, on the other hand, your 3rd Gen ISN'T reliable (and it sounds like your tinkering indicates that it's not), you might be better served by starting over fresh.

For me, the Gen4 grip is "better" enough that all my current Glocks are Gen4s; after sanding off the fingergrooves of Satan and a light stipple where they used to be, the grip is VERY useable.

Regards,

Kevin

Jaysop
09-30-13, 10:53
As if Glock has a warranty worth worrying about. It's a one year limited warranty. If you take your Glock down past field stripping it, you voided your warranty. It's one of the shittiest warranties in the industry.

What are you talking about? Glock has excellent customer service, I've called them many times and talked to quite a few different people. All of which were very nice and patient and helpful. Some people don't realize that the way you talk to people in the CS department will dictate how they treat you.
FWIW, I sent a Gen3 G19 back that was more than a year old with aftermarket parts in it. Parts that required a full disassembly to install, and they replaced it with a brand new Gen4 with all new mags plus 3 extra in about 2 weeks.
I will say the shittiest CS so far has to be KAC

brickboy240
09-30-13, 10:55
The 30274 and the Apex units alone cured my 3rd gen G19.

Seriously....I have around 2000 rounds through it now and am considering using it as a carry piece now.

No brass anywhere near my face...not even close. The little bastard runs like a Swiss watch.

Yeah...you could very well be totally cured with the Apex unit. Worth a try.

-brickboy240

jondoe297
09-30-13, 11:15
Get a Gen4 if that's what you feel will fit your needs.

13MPG
09-30-13, 11:50
What are you talking about? Glock has excellent customer service, I've called them many times and talked to quite a few different people. All of which were very nice and patient and helpful. Some people don't realize that the way you talk to people in the CS department will dictate how they treat you.

I agree. Years past I had a G19 that had changed hands several times. One day I noticed the frame had a crack in it by the mag well, Glock replaced the frame with no hassles.

1911-A1
09-30-13, 13:36
I have a Gen3 and a Gen4 G19, and the Gen4 is hands down a better fit for me. No contest.

That being said, I'm looking at getting a Gen4 G17 and cutting the grip down to accept G19 mags.

Gen4s brought me back to the Glock camp, big time. The larger mag release was another huge bonus. It's a big deal if you have medium to small hands.

falnovice
09-30-13, 16:56
In no way am I trying to be a wiseguy here, but are the Gen 4's finally good to go?
I have looked at a Gen4 G19 a couple of times, but every time I am about to pick one up there seems to be another thunderstorm of issues reported.....so I hold off.

RIGPIG
09-30-13, 17:44
FWIW, I sent a Gen3 G19 back that was more than a year old with aftermarket parts in it. Parts that required a full disassembly to install, and they replaced it with a brand new Gen4 with all new mags plus 3 extra in about 2 weeks.
I will say the shittiest CS so far has to be KAC

You completely misrepresented my post. Notice I said "warranty" and not "customer service". You even quoted my post as a reference. A 1yr warranty is bullshit. On no surface of this planet is that a good warranty. Their customer service may be A1, I've never used it. I was commenting on their WARRANTY.

No then, I've had a Gen4 17, 19, and 34. I have big hands and I did not like the add-on backstraps. I sold them and bought Gen3s. The Gen3s feel better to me. I like what Kevin posted, have the grip reduced on the Gen3 if the gun functions well. In the long run you'll save money having the grip reduced and you'll still have a gun that functions as it should (assuming you have no problems now), opposed to selling the Gen3 and gambling on a new Gen4, only for the potential of that grip not suiting you either.

AKDoug
10-01-13, 02:02
My new production Gen3 19 had BTF several times in the first 500 rounds. An Apex extractor and the 30274 ejector cured it.

I made the mistake of shooting a Gen 4 19 and I was amazed at the better feel for me without any of the back straps. My Gen 3 19just sits in the safe now. I also have a grip reduced Gen3 17 that I do not shoot as well as the Gen 4 19.

danpass
10-01-13, 10:22
My new production Gen3 19 had BTF several times in the first 500 rounds. An Apex extractor and the 30274 ejector cured it.

I made the mistake of shooting a Gen 4 19 and I was amazed at the better feel for me without any of the back straps. My Gen 3 19just sits in the safe now. I also have a grip reduced Gen3 17 that I do not shoot as well as the Gen 4 19.
that's how I felt about it when I shot it this past weekend lol

Ok, G19g3 for sale and money will go toward G19g4 :)

Now .... do I keep the night sights for the g4 .... hmmm

RHINOWSO
10-01-13, 13:34
I've seen and shot two different Gen4s which consistently spat brass to the face of my friend and his brother.

Glock messed with perfection and still has its head in the sand about this issue.

NYH1
10-01-13, 23:18
If you're really interested I'll leave the new Heine Straight 8 tritium night sights on there :D.
That'd be great. However, I'm really not sure when I'm going to be ready to get one. We have a lot of really big things going on right now. It's going to be a while.

NYH1.