PDA

View Full Version : Glock barrel re-crown

kaltblitz
09-30-13, 07:50
Anyone know of a gunsmith out there that can/will re-crown a factory Glock barrel?

MarkG
09-30-13, 07:57
I'm going to say it shouldn't be done. That barrel is harder than a bulls balls and isn't going to play nice when you run a cutting tool up against it.

platoonDaddy
09-30-13, 08:08
Don't know of any, but I wouldn't get it done. Would purchase a barrel from LoneWolf.

okie john
09-30-13, 11:31
Why do you want to get it re-crowned?

Okie John

C4IGrant
09-30-13, 12:10
Anyone know of a gunsmith out there that can/will re-crown a factory Glock barrel?

I did it to a melonited M&P barrel (once). NEVER AGAIN. Basically ruins the cutter.

Buy a SS KKM barrel, send it to us and will crown and polish it for $30.

C4

C4IGrant
09-30-13, 12:12
Why do you want to get it re-crowned?

Okie John

Generally speaking, the barrel and breech face are not square and true (on most any mass produced firearm).

We square and true all barrels and then put an 11 degree crown on them. While I think it makes some difference on a pistol, it can make a WORLD of difference on a long gun.

C4

kaltblitz
09-30-13, 12:38
Generally speaking, the barrel and breech face are not square and true (on most any mass produced firearm).

C4

This.

I have a Glock 22 that could not group to save its life. I had a gunsmith (now deceased) crown the barrel and was able to hold 2" off hand at 15 yards.

I believe Glock does a crappy job (always have) of finishing on the barrel crowns. Since my gunsmith is no longer living I need to find someone willing to do the work.

okie john
09-30-13, 12:41

C4

Understood. I was more interested in knowing why the OP thinks a re-crown is in order.

Okie John

okie john
09-30-13, 12:44
This.

I have a Glock 22 that could not group to save its life. I had a gunsmith (now deceased) crown the barrel and was able to hold 2" off hand at 15 yards.

I believe Glock does a crappy job (always have) of finishing on the barrel crowns. Since my gunsmith is no longer living I need to find someone willing to do the work.

Why not just upgrade to a KKM or Wilson barrel? It won't cost much more, and you'll get far better groups than 2" at 15 yards...

Okie John

kaltblitz
09-30-13, 12:52
My old gunsmith charged $25 to crown Glock barrels. WAY cheaper than a KKM and provided very similar results in terms of accuracy without some of the reliability problems some of the aftermarket barrels sometimes create.

I honestly think Glock barrels are pretty good. They just do a crappy crown job.

kaltblitz
09-30-13, 12:55
Why not just upgrade to a KKM or Wilson barrel? It won't cost much more, and you'll get far better groups than 2" at 15 yards...

Okie John

If you're able to shoot better than 2" groups off hand at 15 yards you're doing pretty good. I can't do much better than 2" with a factory Glock trigger at that distance, especially without a rest!

okie john
09-30-13, 12:59
My old gunsmith charged $25 to crown Glock barrels. WAY cheaper than a KKM and provided very similar results in terms of accuracy without some of the reliability problems some of the aftermarket barrels sometimes create.

I honestly think Glock barrels are pretty good. They just do a crappy crown job.

Fair enough. Keep us posted. I'm a big fan of Wilson barrels, but if I can get the same results for a $25 recrown, then I'm all ears.

Okie John

okie john
09-30-13, 13:10
If you're able to shoot better than 2" groups off hand at 15 yards you're doing pretty good. I can't do much better than 2" with a factory Glock trigger at that distance, especially without a rest!

Thanks.

PM inbound.

Okie John

jandbj
09-30-13, 14:08
Pretty sure that Teddy Jacobson recrowns Glock barrels.
http://www.actionsbyt.com/index.htm