PDA

View Full Version : Glock trigger differences

PalmettoPrecision
10-01-13, 11:44
Lately, I have had a good bit of hands on experience with a multitude of different Glock handguns. I own two, a Gen 3 17 and a Gen 4 34, but have handled and shot my father's, friends, and handled close to all of the ones that are for sale at my work. All of them have differentiating triggers, even ones that are the same exact model. Some of them differ slightly, while others are either VERY heavy, or very smooth and much lighter. I have noticed this in both gen3 and gen4 models. I understand that connector differences can produce different trigger pulls, and have accounted for that in my observations. For instance, my g17 has a heavier trigger pull than new gen 3 guns at my work, even after 3000 rounds of "break in". My glock 34 gen 4 has a completely different feel in the break (with a dot connector) than a good friends glock 23 gen 4 which is much crisper and slightly lighter.

I am trying to figure out why... what internal parts are subject to differences in tolerances to produce such results?

EzGoingKev
10-01-13, 12:33
Tolerances I would guess.

I have a G17, G19, and a G23. All of them have the exact same parts installed. I changed all the springs at the beginning of the year. The parts have roughly the same round count on them.

The G17 and G23 triggers feel about the same pull wise but the G19 is a little heavier. The G17 makes a "springy" sound when the trigger is pulled.

yoni
10-01-13, 17:45
I have noticed the same thing.

The one thing that I changed on all my Glocks was to put DOT connectors in them.

BOOSTjunkie
10-01-13, 20:04
between my glock 17,19,22 and 23, my 23 has the smoothest lightest pull even though i switched out all the components for identical ones. the 23 though has a slightly mushy pull while the full sized ones have a more pronounced break

Psalms144.1
10-02-13, 07:39
I've owned or been issued literally dozens of Glocks over the years, and I will say that while Glocks are great for what they are, consistency is not the strong suit of the line. Trigger pulls, fitment, finish, and accuracy can and do vary wildly across various examples of the same model, even those whose serial numbers are close together...

Regards,

Kevin

bullittmcqueen
10-02-13, 08:37
Glock triggers are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates if you get my drift.

FWIW, on my competition Gen 3 G34 I have spent at least a couple hundred bucks on parts, and numerous hours stoning the contact points on the trigger group. What I've ended up with is a pretty nice Glock trigger.

On the other hand, I recently got a gen 4 G17 that all I have done is drop a 3.5 connector in, and I honestly like the feel of that trigger better than the one I've spent hours and $$$ perfecting.

It's a crap shoot.

Abraham
10-03-13, 15:51
An LEO friend, who's also a Glock armorer, was kind enough to install a Glock 3.5 connector, that I was lucky enough to find and buy. I didn't want any other brand after market connectors.

With the 3.5 connector there's a much crisper feel than the stock trigger, which wasn't all that bad, but the new one is better.

Trajan
10-03-13, 15:59
I'm going to guess it's how rough the parts are.

Keep in mind that the Gen 3 and Gen 4 trigger bars are different (the hump).

Gen 3 with minus feels lighter, but creepy. Gen 4 with minus is slightly heavier, but had a nice crisp break.

Absolutely hated the Gen 4 trigger with dot connector combo. Never bothered playing with the dot connector along with a gen 3 trigger bar.

GunBugBit
10-03-13, 16:05
A 3.5 trigger connector and heavier (yes heavier) trigger spring can make the pull weight quite a bit lighter. I don't bother with the 25-cent procedure but I've heard it makes a bit of a difference for an out-of-the-box Glock. If a Glock has been shot a lot, the metal trigger parts that rub on each other are already naturally polished, in just the right spots.

glocktogo
10-03-13, 17:16
It really is a crap shoot. One thing that makes a difference in how "crisp" the trigger feels is barrel/slide/frame fit. If you watch the rear of the slide where it meets the frame as you pull through the trigger, you'll see the rear of the slide dip down towards the frame before the trigger breaks. Drop in a match grade barrel (I use a Bar-Sto) and a lot of that is eliminated. If it's skanky out of the box, the .25 cent fluff & buff does help. As GunBugBit states, so does a lot of shooting and dry fire. :)

Austin Millbarge
10-03-13, 17:19
I have a late 80's vintage Glock 19. Even with the NY trigger it is still smoother and crisper than my brand new Glock 21 Gen 4. I did just swap a glocktriggers.com Guardian trigger into the 21, really nice.

opmike
10-03-13, 23:37
With the 3.5 connector there's a much crisper feel than the stock trigger, which wasn't all that bad, but the new one is better.

This hasn't been my experience. I notice a lighter but longer and more "mushy" or "rolling" break of the trigger than with the stock connector in both of my Glocks. It's especially apparent when you swap the stock one back in.

TyGuy
10-04-13, 00:47
IDK about pull, but some of the non full size Glocks have a serrated facet hat hurts my delicate fingers. Thankfully switching out the trigger is easy enough.

samuse
10-04-13, 08:04
The trigger bar is a stamped part.

The sheared off face of the cut is the surface that engages the striker cruciform and connector, so your trigger pull is gonna be as smooth as that unfinished piece of sheet metal.

There's really nothing to talk about. It is what it is and it's always been this way.

Abraham
10-04-13, 14:35
opmike,

Is your connector a Glock OEM?

If not, I've heard of mixed results on non-Glock connecters.

britishtq
10-13-13, 04:13
I threw a ghost 3.5 ultimate kit in mine and love it. My only complaint is the competition spring isn't strong enough to reset the trigger safety if you start to pull the trigger and change your mind. Or if something brushed against the trigger. This being a safety issue I put the heavier spring in but it's a lot smoother and now has a clean break. I can elaborate on the trigger safety problem if need be.

punkey71
10-13-13, 05:54
I'm assuming you put the three enhanced springs in. Lighter striker spring, lighter striker block spring and heavier trigger spring.

Which did you put back to OEM? Trigger or striker?

In my experience the two combined from the kit cause the trigger safety to not reset. Replacing either of those two with OEM should solve the problem but I prefer the OEM striker with the heavier trigger spring as opposed to the opposite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AFshirt
10-13-13, 22:13
I put the ghost 5.0 kit in my Gen 4 17. Heavier trigger, heavier striker, lighter striker block and then it has the overtravel stop that needs to be fit in. It is no where near as nice and clean breaking as my Wilson Combat 1911 but still more linear with a consistent pull without as far of reset travel than stock. Actual trigger weight feels about the same but totally subjective since I don't have access to scales.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 06:47
i have a gen 4 26 and gen 4 23, both completely stock... The trigger on my 26 is lighter then my 23 by 1lb and cracks nicely, i'm guessing its just "luck of the draw" in terms of consistency but all within manuf tolerances.

I am debating on upgrading them both though, and stippling my grips/grip points

EzGoingKev
10-14-13, 09:38
i have a gen 4 26 and gen 4 23, both completely stock... The trigger on my 26 is lighter then my 23 by 1lb and cracks nicely, i'm guessing its just "luck of the draw" in terms of consistency but all within manuf tolerances.

Do you know when each of them were produced?

IIRC Glock released the Gen4 and it had a slightly heavier trigger pull than the Gen3's. A large agency complained and the dot connector was developed. The dot connector dropped the trigger pull some and was then used in all Gen4's going forward.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 09:39
i will check the boxes when I get home, I have the 23 on me now if there's a way to check the firearm itself i can do that...

punkey71
10-14-13, 09:46
Take the connector out to check.

There is literally a little raised dot on the back of the small arm of the connector.

i will check the boxes when I get home, I have the 23 on me now if there's a way to check the firearm itself i can do that...

dcnyli
10-14-13, 09:53
oh, it's not like visible easier. I can't just whip out and start stripping the weapon in the office, my coworkers would be "uncomfortable" to say the least. tonight at home i will check'em

Heavy Metal
10-14-13, 11:05
Take the connector out to check.

There is literally a little raised dot on the back of the small arm of the connector.

You should be able to see connector markings with the connector in the frame.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 11:27
all i see is one small dimple on it, and it's in need of a cleaning...:ph34r:

Heavy Metal
10-14-13, 11:28
The dimple is the dot.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 11:30
dimple or dot, same, and it's what i got....

punkey71
10-14-13, 16:57
100% correct.

Just thought it would be easier to identify if removed as he wasn't sure what he was looking for.

Of course he saw it and proved me wrong. :)

Best
Harold

You should be able to see connector markings with the connector in the frame.

EzGoingKev
10-14-13, 17:03
Either way, I like the dot connector.

Currently I am running:
- OE dot connector
- OE trigger return spring
- Wolff XP firing pin spring
- Wolff reduced power firing pin safety plunger spring

I like this the best for carry/HD.

PalmettoPrecision
10-15-13, 13:38
I am surprised a company like apex (or other) has yet to produce a drop in replacement machined factory spec trigger kit. Imagine a machined (and polished) trigger bar, connector, and striker block built to glock factory specs.

I'd fork out a bill.

EzGoingKev
12-30-13, 22:31
Some learning occurred on my end. I had previously posted that while my G17 and G19 had all the same parts installed the triggers were different.

Over the weekend I polished the trigger bar, connector, and firing pin safety on both pistols and the difference in feel/pull weight is hardly noticeable.