PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen 1 vs Gen 2 differences. Help!?

steyrman13
10-01-13, 13:37
I did a search but most are people asking the cosmetic differences. I am awaiting my Armorers class right now. So....

What if any mechanical differences are there in the gen 1 and 2? I have a Gen 1 17 that needs the internal crossbar upgrades etc. I have a new RSA in it already. Is there any safety upgrades that are needed?

I know here everyone seeks a gen 2 19, but why not gen 1 19?

223to45
10-01-13, 17:52
I did a search but most are people asking the cosmetic differences. I am awaiting my Armorers class right now. So....

What if any mechanical differences are there in the gen 1 and 2? I have a Gen 1 17 that needs the internal crossbar upgrades etc. I have a new RSA in it already. Is there any safety upgrades that are needed?

I know here everyone seeks a gen 2 19, but why not gen 1 19?

Becuase there is about a dozen Gen1 19's.

Are you sure you have a Gen 1 17 ?? There are more of them , but not very great in number.

steyrman13
10-01-13, 18:18
Becuase there is about a dozen Gen1 19's.

Are you sure you have a Gen 1 17 ?? There are more of them , but not very great in number.

I figured it was just due to limited availability on the 19. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quite positive. It is AZxxx serial number, pebelgrip. I know the physical differences in them, just wondering if they actually upgraded any internals in gen two. I know the 2 got the stipple on the front and back strap, later got the nickel treated cruciform, but wasn't sure if the rails, block or other parts were different.

Well it did have the pebelgrip, but GASP, I stippled it. It is much easier to control in my hands now due to sweaty grip and smooth plastic. I'll try and upload some pics.

PatrioticDisorder
10-01-13, 21:56
I figured it was just due to limited availability on the 19. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quite positive. It is AZxxx serial number, pebelgrip. I know the physical differences in them, just wondering if they actually upgraded any internals in gen two. I know the 2 got the stipple on the front and back strap, later got the nickel treated crucifix, but wasn't sure if the rails, block or other parts were different.

Well it did have the pebelgrip, but GASP, I stippled it. It is much easier to control in my hands now due to sweaty grip and smooth plastic. I'll try and upload some pics.

In all honesty I'd just buy another G17, gen 2, 3 or 4 whatever you prefer and leave the gen1 alone. The gen 1 shouldn't be considered a weapon anymore, it's an antique, a collector's item. Wait another 2-3 decades it will be worth some significant cash. I'd render it a safe queen if it were my gun, but that's just me.

steyrman13
10-01-13, 22:58
In all honesty I'd just buy another G17, gen 2, 3 or 4 whatever you prefer and leave the gen1 alone. The gen 1 shouldn't be considered a weapon anymore, it's an antique, a collector's item. Wait another 2-3 decades it will be worth some significant cash. I'd render it a safe queen if it were my gun, but that's just me.

It's already been modified so not much of a collector anymore, plus I don't have the tubberware box etc.

Really more curious to find out if Glock changed any internals for safety, reliability, or other reasons. Not just cosmetic grip changes from 1st to 2nd gen models

Semi_auto
10-02-13, 21:14
Gen 1 and Gen 2 were two pin frames. Gen 3 had 3 pins. I was told by an armorer that gen 1 (gen 2?) slide had the old style extractor (90 degree vs 15 degree) and both the slide and the extractor could be upgraded by Glock.

Maybe someone else can verify...

walkin' trails
10-03-13, 19:15
I have a Gen I 17 and have been to three armorers courses since 1995. Other than the upgrade kit Glock came out with in the early 90s and some minor magazine changes, I don't think there was much difference internally. BTW, I got to handle a pebble grip 19 at a federal academy at Quantico about 18 years ago. Don't know which of the two agencies that train there that it belonged to. At the time, I was under the impression that a limited number had been made available for commercial sales, but that might have been hype the gun mags wrote. Nevertheless they are rare. I liked the way it felt.

steyrman13
10-03-13, 19:52
I have a Gen I 17 and have been to three armorers courses since 1995. Other than the upgrade kit Glock came out with in the early 90s and some minor magazine changes, I don't think there was much difference internally. BTW, I got to handle a pebble grip 19 at a federal academy at Quantico about 18 years ago. Don't know which of the two agencies that train there that it belonged to. At the time, I was under the impression that a limited number had been made available for commercial sales, but that might have been hype the gun mags wrote. Nevertheless they are rare. I liked the way it felt.

That is on the books to order the "upgrade" kit once I am certified. Kind of a little "project" for it. I read one article here:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

BUT it seems to be either partly false or misleading to me. I cannot tell a difference in the width of any of the frame rails. I have measured with a caliper. Also, I have never seen the slide pop off of the rails when thrown like a Frisbee. I have seen Glocks gen 1 and 2 both fall from tree stands banging on the last ladder rung, off of buildings a couple stories up, etc and NEVER seen this. Some of the information is assumption and misleading, while some of it is true. I just wanted to confirm that the only difference other than the drop free mags, 6 part upgrade and stippling on the grip/Lanyard hole are the differences between the 1 and 2

grantoga
10-05-13, 10:36
I have a gen 1 g17 prefix DC and a gen 2 g17 prefix BFA that have both had the trigger parts upgrade, and visually the parts look identical. Of course, there could be differences that Im not seeing. I can confirm that the trigger cruciform assembly will fit in both frames (dont ask how I know:D )So take that fwiw.

ETA- I just disassembled both and compared the two. The locking blocks between my gen 1 and gen 2 seem slightly different. Also, the slide stops are different. They both have the limiter spike, but the part that engages the mag follower is longer and thinner on my gen 1.

Shadow1198
10-13-13, 14:38
For anyone that's interested, I have an actual gen 1 Glock 19. All the research I've done and knowledgeable sources I've talked to generally seemed to be in the same ball park of roughly ~24 gen 1 19's imported in 1988, and after making there way into one or a few LE agency armories, that there are now likely only ~12-16 surviving in private hands. Rare to say the least. It's too bad they didn't just stick with this grip profile, as it feels great and feels like a good reduction over a gen 2, or substantial difference from a gen 3.

This one had the parts upgrade done. The only substantial difference I've noticed in components is the ejector tip looks just a bit different from the standard 336. It looks like it is a slightly "unfinished" shape as opposed to the standard angled and square edge of the 336. Just for fun, I've swapped a bunch of parts back and forth between it, my gen 2 17, and some of the aftermarket components I have. This includes a factory 3.5 connector with stiffer return spring, factory 3.5 with NY1 spring, White Sound HRED, both production versions of the Apex Tactical G-FRE extractor (gen 4, as well as the gen 3 with shell limiter). Here's a few pics of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dillodynamics/sets/72157629871838820/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7195939284_2854cd8591_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dillodynamics/7195939284/)
tn_IMG_1094 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dillodynamics/7195939284/) by Dillo Dynamics (http://www.flickr.com/people/dillodynamics/), on Flickr