PDA

View Full Version : Who should I have cut down a G4 G17 frame for G19 mags?

1911-A1
10-01-13, 15:20
I could do it myself, of course, but if there is someone who does a really kickass job at it, I'm willing to pay them to do it.

Also, feel free to post photos of similar work you've had done and who did it.

okie john
10-01-13, 15:49
I cut down a Gen3 on my own. It's not the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, but it works. Unless you just have to have a super-beautiful finish, I'd do it at home.

Okie John

1911-A1
10-01-13, 16:27
Unless you just have to have a super-beautiful finish, I'd do it at home.

I am not hung up on looks in the slightest. I'm more concerned with making the cut square on both sides, blending it properly, resetting the grip plug location, etc.

I'm also in the middle of moving, so all my tools are packed away.

okie john
10-01-13, 16:36
I am not hung up on looks in the slightest. I'm more concerned with making the cut square on both sides, blending it properly, resetting the grip plug location, etc.

I am also in the middle of moving, so all my tools are packed away.

You might be overthinking it--this is the kind of job you can eyeball with ease, and the only tools you need are a hacksaw with a fine blade and a rasp.

Use the hacksaw to make the first cut, leaving the frame slightly longer than you want in the finished product. Then cut it to the final length, flare the mag well, and dress up the edges with with the rasp. Blending is a little weird since the baseplate angles are different, so the best way to handle that is a light stippling job.

Okie John

Swag
10-01-13, 17:08
This is a DIY job all day long, bro. Just take it slow.

yoni
10-01-13, 17:23
just for what it is worth I did this on a 17 and now NEVER carry it.

I carry the 34 or 35 most of the time and don't see the need for this pistol as my EDC.