PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 Question

tmwtrfwler
10-02-13, 20:53
I lurk on here a lot and typically don't post here. However, I've been reading / skimming the dozens of pages regarding the relatively new Glock ejection issues, etc.

I haven't seen anything regarding the 20's having these similar issues.

Are they good to go as opposed to the few other models?

I understand of the 100,000's of these made they can't be problem free but it was surprising to read.

Alaskapopo
10-02-13, 21:27
I don't shoot mine nearly as much as my other Glocks but its been reliable. Its a great woods gun.
Pat

tmwtrfwler
10-02-13, 21:30
I don't shoot mine nearly as much as my other Glocks but its been reliable. Its a great woods gun.
Pat

If I get one it'll be as a sidearm for camping, hiking, hunting. Perfect gun for it.

Guns-up.50
10-03-13, 02:18
Pats got it right

Mine has been great but i dont shoot it tons... it will serve you well on the trails.

Bello
10-03-13, 05:04
I have a gen 3 although I detest the gen 4 mine has served me well no issues! If your gonna roll nuke loads as I do I recommend a KKM barrel or other tight chamber

Shawvez
10-03-13, 11:05
My gen3 G20sf slings brass a good 20-30 ft with a 20lb recoil spring. Is been reliable, but it doesnt get shot as much as my 9mm glocks.

Sensei
10-03-13, 11:36
I lurk on here a lot and typically don't post here. However, I've been reading / skimming the dozens of pages regarding the relatively new Glock ejection issues, etc.

I haven't seen anything regarding the 20's having these similar issues.

Are they good to go as opposed to the few other models?

I understand of the 100,000's of these made they can't be problem free but it was surprising to read.

I have both Gen 3 and 4 versions as well as a Gen 4 G29. They are low volume shooters (less than 2000 rounds each) compared to my other Glocks but equally reliable.

Fly'nBuff
10-03-13, 22:04
Gen 4 Glock 20. Very happy with it. I prefer the grip texture over the SF guns. Like others, it doesn't get out much. No problems to report.

svtpwnz
10-04-13, 21:42
I have never had an issue with the G20 or my CCW G29sf. Honestly, I have never had any issues with any of my Glocks which have all been very reliable shooters.

kantstudien
10-05-13, 00:54
My G20SF is an awesome gun that I would shoot more if ammo wasn't so damn expensive.

Worth it to get a Bar-Sto or KKM barrel upgrade so you can shoot full-power 10mm loads.

Also get the Wolff stainless guide rod and heavier spring (20lb sounds right).

tmwtrfwler
10-05-13, 07:37
My G20SF is an awesome gun that I would shoot more if ammo wasn't so damn expensive.

Worth it to get a Bar-Sto or KKM barrel upgrade so you can shoot full-power 10mm loads.

Also get the Wolff stainless guide rod and heavier spring (20lb sounds right).

You're not the 1st I have heard that from. Seems like a no brainer to maximize the pistol's capabilities.

Thinking on getting the 6" kkm barrel .... why not right.

I am picking the gun up today.

Now how about holsters? I use a safariland for my m&P's and crossbreeds to CC with my PPS for EDC.

Thinking safariland for this too b/c it'll be OWB 90% of the time.

Corse
10-05-13, 08:03
I switched to a Jarvis barrel after I got my gen 3 years ago. Even factory loads were coming out if the stock barrel with a bulged case.

1_click_off
10-05-13, 09:33
If you want to just make noise and a huge fireball, pick up a 9X25 Dillon barrel from LWD too. I am pushing a 90gr FMJ at about 2000fps from a 6" barrel.

I run a stock spring for the 10mm loads and an uncaptured SS guide rod and 22lbs spring for the 9X25.

To answer your question,
Fired about 200 10mm loads and 200 9X25 Dillon reloads so far from my Gen3SF without an issue.

Dmaynor
10-05-13, 14:37
I have had a Gen4 20 and 29 for about 2 months now, 900+ rounds, not a single problem other than sore joints.

I want to get a 9x25 setup, I keep read about this round but have yet to see one.

yoni
10-05-13, 18:10
I am thinking of either a Glock 20 or a 21 converted to 460 Roland for my bush pistol in Afrika. With either pistol their is no ammo local to buy so that isn't in the mix I will carry my own ammo in. I am thinking with the 21 I can convert it back to 45acp to shoot since their is some of that available. But 9mm is my main pistol for in the city.

tmwtrfwler
10-05-13, 20:12
at what point / what loads from underwood, buffalo bore, etc. are the KKM barrels a must?

Alaskapopo
10-05-13, 20:45
at what point / what loads from underwood, buffalo bore, etc. are the KKM barrels a must?

Its mostly a must if you are reloading your brass. New brass can handle hot loads in a stock Glock barrel generally but its the 2nd and third time around with the same piece of brass where you could have a case failure. I run a Barsto barrel with hot loads. Nothing wrong with the KKM but I won a Barsto barrel certificate at a three gun match so I ordered a barrel for my Glock 20.
Pat

tmwtrfwler
10-05-13, 20:48
Its mostly a must if you are reloading your brass. New brass can handle hot loads in a stock Glock barrel generally but its the 2nd and third time around with the same piece of brass where you could have a case failure. I run a Barsto barrel with hot loads. Nothing wrong with the KKM but I won a Barsto barrel certificate at a three gun match so I ordered a barrel for my Glock 20.
Pat

So is it necessary if I plan on shooting underwood 135 gr noslers? when they get them back in stock?

Alaskapopo
10-05-13, 21:04
So is it necessary if I plan on shooting underwood 135 gr noslers? when they get them back in stock?

Never tried their ammo but I would imagine it is not necessary because they would be sued like crazy if their ammo blew up in standard guns.
Pat

Ryno12
10-05-13, 23:17

I love my Gen3 G20 & I've never had any reliability issues with the stock set up. I planned on taking it hunting so I purchased a 6" Storm Lake barrel. I did have some FTF problems initially but after some polishing of the feed ramp, that issue is gone. The SL chamber is tight. I don't mind since it's easy on brass. If you have issues with the price or availability of 10mm ammo, I strongly suggest you look into reloading.
If you plan to reload, I'd run your Underwood through an aftermarket barrel. If you don't get an aftermarket barrel, you should probably pick up a Lee Bulge Buster. You're gonna give your brass a workout which will ultimately shorten it's life but at least its salvageable. I've had near blow outs with BVAC ammo that only chrono'd at 1150 through the stock barrel. They were using Armscor brass at the time & ultimately ended up recalling that lot#. In comparison, the UW 135 chrono'd at 1550 fps & only ended up with the typical Glock "smiles" or slight bulges. UW uses Starline brass. I've chrono'd the 135s at 1702 fps through my 6" barrel & the brass is mint.
Ultimately, if I was you, I'd consider an aftermarket barrel & get set up to reload 10mm. Neither, though, are absolutely necessary, especially if you primarily run weaker factory loads.
Enjoy your 10mm.

Sent via Tapatalk

alcante262
10-05-13, 23:19
HAD A GLOCK 20 LOVED IT BUT GOT RID OF IT DUE TO AMMO SCARCITY AND I DONT RELOAD.

Ryno12
10-05-13, 23:24
HAD A GLOCK 20 LOVED IT BUT GOT RID OF IT DUE TO AMMO SCARCITY AND I DONT RELOAD.

No need to yell, we can hear you. ;) Turn your caps lock off.

Sent via Tapatalk

RagweedZulu
10-05-13, 23:44
No need to yell, we can hear you. ;) Turn your caps lock off.

Sent via Tapatalk

No kidding. That guy woke me up!

Corse
10-06-13, 07:25

If you run loads closer to 40s&w, or you don't want to reload, then the stock barrel is fine. I had bulges with winchester ammo.

Double3
10-06-13, 08:22
Just picked up a 20sf recently and have only had time to run a couple mags through it.

Can't wait to get out and shoot some more.

Horsehide
10-06-13, 08:50
A friend of mine lives higher up in the Rockies (read bear/mountain lion country) and I have had the opportunity to shoot his 20 and 29 quite a bit. Never an issue and accuracy and ease of shooting with Double Tap loads has surprised me.

tmwtrfwler
10-06-13, 20:45
Got it to the range today and was surprised. Shot well but had 2 FTF in 50 rounds. Loaded the standard 15 round mag with only 5 at a time. So I shot 10 groups. Shot slow to stay focused. Groups were tight at 15 yards. The last bullet on two occasions didn't feed and the slide locked open as if the mag was empty.

I was shooting PMC 200 GR target ammo.

Teat casing in the box is from 6/13

It's a 20 gen 4.

Any input?

1_click_off
10-07-13, 05:51
There are two ways a slide typically locks back. 1 your mag is empty and the follower pushes up on the slide lock and 2 your thumb accidentally hit the slide release on the recoil and pressed it up to lock it back.

What type of grip are you using? Thumbs forward?

Edit: 3rd thing to check, slide stop spring. Might be broken or installed incorrectly.

EricTheRed
10-08-13, 01:18
Just picked a gen 3 21sf up as a new woods gun (sick of carrying my heavy ass hand cannon .44). I don't plan on shooting this much so I'm not going to reload (at this point). Potential targets include mountain lion and black bear, possibly as backup for hogs- I'll still probably carry the .44 in grizz country.

Any thoughts/recommendations on good factory loads for this purpose? I was contemplating the double tap 200 and 230gn WFNGC. Only difference I see between the two is weight and velocity. Any thoughts on which would be better? Some other better load? Doesn't sound like I should have an issue with keeping the factory barrel or spring as long as I stick to factory loads?

(FWIW to whoever asked about holsters I'll be using an RCS phantom OWB. I love RCS for OWB, not my preference for IWB)

Double3
10-08-13, 05:53
Any thoughts/recommendations on good factory loads for this purpose? I was contemplating the double tap 200 and 230gn WFNGC. Only difference I see between the two is weight and velocity. Any thoughts on which would be better? Some other better load? Doesn't sound like I should have an issue with keeping the factory barrel or spring as long as I stick to factory loads?

In my quest for factory ammo it looked like Underwood was the way to go from all my searching.

Dmaynor
10-08-13, 11:37
In my quest for factory ammo it looked like Underwood was the way to go from all my searching.

I like Buffalo Bore 10mm 185gr

iveschrhis
10-08-13, 20:25
I'm on my second one, so here are some observations.

My first one - an older, pre-finger groove/no rail model - demonstrated a need for an aftermarket barrel from the first magazine. I already had two, custom Deltas so there was a variety of ammo in the cache.

Starting with 155gr XTPs (Hornady), I policed up brass each magazine. There were pressure blisters from about 5-7 o'clock. Oops. Not so much with Winchester brass, but an issue. I called Brownell's and got a drop-in Storm Lake barrel. That took care of the pressure/case support issues but didn't add to accuracy which was only average. That average accuracy led to this Glock going to Used Gun Rescue.

This summer I had the occasion to see lots of friends from SOF in Mon-by-God-tana. Everyone who didn't use a Glock 20 for a woods gun was looking for one (mountain lions were the primary concern, black bears a lesser one; wolves and griz tertiary ones, but this was at the north end of the Bitterroot Valley). I found a good used Gen III '20 and took the fall. "Hello, I'm Chris and I have a gun buying weakness...."

After some fam' fire, I put in a "-" connector and an aftermarket Wolff recoil guide rod and 20# spring. The second '20 purrs along dropping brass at 1600 in a nice pile. No pressure issues with any brass (including reloads; gasp) so far. Working up from 155gr'rs, I got to Winchester Silvertips that shot into one, ragged hole at 7 yards for a 10 round group (of course I have one box left and they're not for sale anywhere right now). Who knew?

Although some 10mm folks are quick to dismiss the Prvi Partisan 180gr load in 10mm, it it close in velocity/recoil/etc to the FBI Federal Hi Shok load (190gr JHP, modest velocities), it is a great training load and if I didn't have almost 1K of the FBI load put back, I'd use it as a carry load with little reservation.

One ammo question you will need to think about is whether or not you're trying to best .40 S&W or shoot a .41 Mag clone in a Glock. Both answers have their place.

The point of this ramble is that individual pistols seem to have different ammo preferences at different velocities, the miracle of modern manufacturing notwithstanding.

Do yourself a favor and prioritize your missions and do the same thing you'd do with a rifle: what ammo does it like, in what config', for what mission?

By way of illustration, my daily-carry Glock 21 shoots POA=POI with the HSTs I use in town and at 7 yards with the bear load I like for non-griz' country, the Buffalo Bore 250gr+P HC-TC. I change mags and chambered rounds between forest/mountains and town. I have a done similar things to this '21 as the '20 though with less of an increase of recoil spring weight.

Hope this helps. Of course, YMMV.