PDA

View Full Version : Hi Power issue- hammer goes to half cock sometimes

kaltesherz
10-03-13, 18:57
I have a FN made Mk III that had some work done on it by a very well known Hi Power gunsmith. Every now and then, when I release the slide sometimes the hammer falls to the half-cock position. What could be the issue?

DanjojoUSMC
10-03-13, 19:03
Too much polishing of hammer/sear engagement, hardness of those parts or angles are off, depth of notch is too shallow.

JPB
10-03-13, 21:56
I had a MK III HP that would do that if I released the slide on an empty chamber.

kaltesherz
10-03-13, 21:57
It did it on a live round at the range the other day, and it wasn't the first time. Should I send it back to the 'smith?

JPB
10-03-13, 23:24
It did it on a live round at the range the other day, and it wasn't the first time. Should I send it back to the 'smith?

Yes. And quick.

kaltesherz
10-03-13, 23:42
Thanks, will do.

youreacrab
10-04-13, 16:03
depending on how recently the work was done, i'd consider sending to another smith. this isnt supposed to happen on a new trigger job. you might also want to consider using a c&s matched tool steel sear/hammer.

okie john
10-04-13, 16:21
Yes. And quick.

This. It could start doubling (or worse) which could put subsequent rounds over the berm. I've had that happen with a 1911 and it's no fun.

Okie John

youreacrab
10-04-13, 16:30
This. It could start doubling (or worse) which could put subsequent rounds over the berm. I've had that happen with a 1911 and it's no fun.

Okie John

I think this would actually be impossible on a MkIII with an FP block. After the slide cycles, you'd need to reset the trigger before the FP block can be moved.

okie john
10-04-13, 16:32
I think this would actually be impossible on a MkIII with an FP block. After the slide cycles, you'd need to reset the trigger before the FP block can be moved.

You may be right. But technically, you need to reset the trigger on a 1911 before it can fire, too.

Okie John

youreacrab
10-04-13, 16:36
depending on how recently the work was done, i'd consider sending to another smith. this isnt supposed to happen on a new trigger job. you might also want to consider using a c&s matched tool steel sear/hammer.

also, if the 'smith installed a weaker sear spring (or bent the sear spring) that could cause this problem as well.

6Actual
10-04-13, 21:59
Could also be Improperly tensioned Sear spring, on older BHPs this could possibly cause 3 round bursts or accidental full auto. I would try a different smith.

SteveS
10-04-13, 23:12
I have a FN made Mk III that had some work done on it by a very well known Hi Power gunsmith. Every now and then, when I release the slide sometimes the hammer falls to the half-cock position. What could be the issue?Needs to go back to the smith. 1911s do the same thing for the same reason.

dwhitehorne
10-05-13, 08:36
Could also be Improperly tensioned Sear spring, on older BHPs this could possibly cause 3 round bursts or accidental full auto. I would try a different smith.

I say the sear spring tension is the first thing I would look at. Smiths try and change the bow in the spring to lighten trigger pull. It is a very fine line. I have a co-worker last year have his FN tuned by a "well know smith" his words and he never said who. I will say the trigger pull and reset were the best I have ever felt on a hipower, but the hammer would fall to half cock when you dropped the slide on an empty chamber. I put my sear spring from my unmodified mkIII in his weapon and it immediately stopped falling to half cock. The trigger pull went up 2 pounds with the change back to the factory spring. Good luck. David

brickboy240
10-07-13, 13:56
Very dangerous!

Mine did that at first, then it doubled. After that...I was hitting the slide stop after inserting a loaded mag and the thing went off (!!!).

Luckily, I had it pointed down range and I was all by myself shooting at the ranch.

Don't shoot it anymore and have it looked at. The dumbest thing I have ever done with a pistol was to keep shooting my old HP when that happened.

-brickboy240

kaltesherz
10-08-13, 20:01
Thanks guys, I'm sending it back to the 'smith on his dime and he'll make it right.

I appreciate everyone's input on this, I'll update when I get it back

AFshirt
10-10-13, 04:24
I had one bone stock do the same thing after a few K rounds. Sold it for my fiirst 1911.