PDA

View Full Version : Glock shooters: has your grip customization shows positive results?

sadmin
10-04-13, 09:18
Im trying to decide if I want to have one of those fancy grip jobs done to one of my pistols. Removing the hump, figer grooves, sanding down the factory "raised dots" (gen4) and grooved trigger guard. Im interested if anyone has seen better shooting after having this done. Better shooting by way of accuracy, not really time to positive purchase. I guess my problem is I dont know what I dont know...Ive never held a customized frame and my fingers seemingly fit into the grooves fine. Grip tape is usually my goto for sweaty hands but the aggressive stippling seems like it works.

So, from my ramble: can anyone say, Yes, I can now shoot more accurately at distance because my gun fits my hand better and I can mitigate recoil better due solely to the framework?

okie john
10-04-13, 09:38
I've owned a Gen3 G19 and a Gen3 G23 that had most of the work you described, I've cut two Gen 3 G17 frames to take G19 mags and stippled them, and I have close to 20k rounds downrange between the four guns.

I feel like external mods tend to improve speed and handling while internal mods tend to improve accuracy, if that makes sense.

Okie John

Guns-up.50
10-04-13, 09:55
All my glocks are sanded and stippled with the trigger guard undercut. I don't feel that you must do this, however it does improve handling as well as recoil management. The undercut eliminates the glock knuckle as well as helping gain a higher purchase. If you go this route I always have the finger grooves taken down, and the whole grip sanded before stipple. I do not have any with reductions of any kind. As far as the trigger guard (ridge removal) thats for looks, I have one done but the rest are left alone.
In summary its worth it, I felt the same way you did at first, now I wont have a glock any other way...

Hope this helps

beschatten
10-04-13, 11:12
Save your money. Here is what I did to reduce the 'hump' and have an angle that resembles my 1911s.

http://i.imgur.com/SHNSWRC.jpg

A grip force adapter (large), with a Pachmayer rubber sleeve. The Grip force adapter fills in the 'hump', and the Pachmayer sleeve fills in the finger grooves.

It fits my hand like a glove. Try a medium GFA if you have smaller hands. Mine are huge.

All for a whopping 33 dollars.

sadmin
10-04-13, 11:18
I tried the GFA but the pin walked out of one side at least 6 times during 500rd session.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, just wish I could handle some various flavors of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

beschatten
10-04-13, 11:24
I tried the GFA but the pin walked out of one side at least 6 times during 500rd session.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, just wish I could handle some various flavors of the process.

That's odd. I had to use the wood end of my hammer to get the thing in. Try a little loctite maybe?

Edit: The sleeve actually covers the trigger housing pin used by GFA.

http://i.imgur.com/pldAbR7.jpg

AKDoug
10-04-13, 11:29
I fix my pins on my GFA on my Gen3 by lightly flaring them with a soldering iron.

My Gen4 without any back straps feels just as small as my modified Gen3. If I tried beschatten's method I doubt I'd be able to reach the trigger.

I like my stippled guns, but it absolutely kills resale value unless the guy you are selling to knows the gunsmith that did the work...and likes it. I understand not caring about resale, but I have sold a lot of guns I swore I'd never sell.

I'd love to see Glock make a Gen 5 with a re-design from the ground up. Take care of the quality issues and take some lessons from just about every other polymer gun maker on ergonomics.

Wake27
10-04-13, 11:29

Huh, mine have been solid. The GFA was the biggest single factor in shooting better for me, due to it giving me a more comfortable and natural grip. Not a direct effect, but a prominent indirect one. One of mine has an undercut trigger guard (bought that way) and it is also increases the comfort for me greatly. I am debating the groove removal thing. They never really bother me but I shoot better with my 1911 (like most people) so I doubt getting rid of them would hurt. I am about 90% set on stippling the frame. I did the GFA to test it out after my support hand slid all over the place when they were sweaty and I didn't have gloves. It was much more uncomfortable to carry, but did not bother my hands at all while firing and seemed to help (though it probably didn't do much in reality). If I could get it done professionally I would have already, but I don't want to pay that much for stuff that I could potentially do well myself.

okie john
10-04-13, 13:43
Huh, mine have been solid. The GFA was the biggest single factor in shooting better for me, due to it giving me a more comfortable and natural grip. Not a direct effect, but a prominent indirect one. One of mine has an undercut trigger guard (bought that way) and it is also increases the comfort for me greatly. I am debating the groove removal thing. They never really bother me but I shoot better with my 1911 (like most people) so I doubt getting rid of them would hurt. I am about 90% set on stippling the frame. I did the GFA to test it out after my support hand slid all over the place when they were sweaty and I didn't have gloves. It was much more uncomfortable to carry, but did not bother my hands at all while firing and seemed to help (though it probably didn't do much in reality). If I could get it done professionally I would have already, but I don't want to pay that much for stuff that I could potentially do well myself.

Lots of folks get great results with the GFA. I tried one for 1k-ish rounds and saw no measurable improvement, but I'd be willing to give it another try on a different set of tests. On the other hand, I shoot a Gen3 Glock with finger grooves slightly faster/better than one that's had the finger grooves removed. I guess I'm just weird that way...

Aside from shooting better ammo, the best way I've found to improve pure accuracy has been increasing grip strength and upper-body strength.

Okie John

Texaspoff
10-04-13, 13:45
Take this for what it's worth....No, I cannot shoot my custom Glocks better than a stock Glock. Do I prefer them this way, of course, they are more comfortable for me in their modified configuration.

There are people that probably do shoot better with a modified Glock compared to a stock one. Glocks fit some people, some people they don't. Sometimes custom work can help a Glock fit a person, sometime it doesn't help. I have had tons of customers say they shoot better with their pistols after the work, but again this is subjective.

If your fairly new to Glocks, my advice is to buy lots of ammo, and shoot the crap out of them and become proficient with them in an OEM configuration.

After that, modify away until your heart is content.

TXPO

Here is the way I prefer my Glocks.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0307-1_zpsd0cb1be9.jpg

okie john
10-04-13, 13:51
Take this for what it's worth....No, I cannot shoot my custom Glocks better than a stock Glock. Do I prefer them this way, of course, they are more comfortable for me in their modified configuration.

There are people that probably do shoot better with a modified Glock compared to a stock one. Glocks fit some people, some people they don't. Sometimes custom work can help a Glock fit a person, sometime it doesn't help. I have had tons of customers say they shoot better with their pistols after the work, but again this is subjective.

If your fairly new to Glocks, my advice is to buy lots of ammo, and shoot the crap out of them and become proficient with them in an OEM configuration.

TXPO

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0307-1_zpsd0cb1be9.jpg

Good advice.

Sweet-looking G19 as well. My G23 grip was set up just like that, but the work was done by Robar.

Okie John

sadmin
10-04-13, 13:59
I fix my pins on my GFA on my Gen3 by lightly flaring them with a soldering iron.

My Gen4 without any back straps feels just as small as my modified Gen3. .

Cool, ill try that. I actually really like the way the Gen4 feels in hand naked with no backstraps on it.

beschatten
10-04-13, 14:00
Aside from shooting better ammo, the best way I've found to improve pure accuracy has been increasing grip strength and upper-body strength.

Okie John

Pretty much this. Practice, practice, practice and focus on those bench presses and barbell shoulder presses lol. Having a stronger grip, more isometric tension, and stronger shoulders certainly helps with everything...

sadmin
10-04-13, 14:06

TXPO

That looks fantastic. Ive only shot Glocks, ever. I guess thats part of the problem in that I have grown to like them stock but I also liked cheap tequila until I had Patron if you know what I mean. Guess I should just go for it. Is your waiting list long at the moment?

sadmin
10-04-13, 14:09
Pretty much this. Practice, practice, practice and focus on those bench presses and barbell shoulder presses lol. Having a stronger grip, more isometric tension, and stronger shoulders certainly helps with everything...

Agree, I purchased those captain of crush grippers and incorporated those into my workout routing along with deadhangs once I read about that benefit and started to shoot competition. It has made a big difference; that and some of Surf's recommended trigger manipulation.

jpeezy
10-04-13, 14:47
I believe the single best after market grip accessory is the grip force adapter. I've shot thousands of rounds with my G21 and never had an issue. My advice is before dropping $500 plus on a grip package, such as those offered by Robar, you need to go to the business and handle the gun with the package you desire. I've had a few co workers get the work done without handling it who didn't like the end result. I like a grip reduction and beaver tail job on a G21 for my small hands. Also, improving grip strength has been one of the single biggest factors in taking my shooting to the next level. Good luck.

Abraham
10-04-13, 15:00
I can definitely say yes for my wife.

Dale Hunnicut did a huge grip reduction and stippling job. It made all the difference.

Before the reduction she kept having stove pipes and she wasn't limp wristing, but she has very small hands and the reduction allowed her to grip the grip properly. Prior to the reduction she could barely reach the trigger.

Now, she never stop pipes, but does have to deal with BTF, but that's a different story...

Wake27
10-04-13, 16:31
Dead lifts would seem to be a much better exercise for grip strength than bench.

Abraham
10-05-13, 16:11
I meant to say she never "STOVEPIPES" with the new grip reduction.

My proofreading obviously blows....sorry.

yoni
10-05-13, 18:05
I am not sure I shoot any better with the grip reduction. But it feels better in my hands than the stock Glock does.

I have never sent one of my glocks out to get a reduction, it has always been me, the frame, and a dremel. Grind off the material until it feels good. Which for my hand has alsways been remove the finger grooves and the checkering front and back.

philcam
10-05-13, 18:34
That looks fantastic. Ive only shot Glocks, ever. I guess thats part of the problem in that I have grown to like them stock but I also liked cheap tequila until I had Patron if you know what I mean. Guess I should just go for it. Is your waiting list long at the moment?

I had Lane texture the finger grooves, back strap and undercut the trigger guard on my daily carry G-26 a few months back.

The work was done very quickly, and since I have big hands, the gun is much easier for me to shoot. Accuracy is about the same, but the old trigger guard was uncomfortable on my middle finger.

Highly recommended.

britishtq
10-13-13, 04:06
I stopped making PERMANENT modifications to my firearms awhile back, once it's done, you're stuck, just something to think about. I always thought about doing the stippling but couldn't commit. Everyone I talk to that has had nothing bad to say about it though.

Jumper
10-13-13, 06:34
Taran Tactical Glock 35
The grip work made a huge difference for me.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/giddswat/TaranGlock35009_zpsc631d024.jpg

wrcpete
10-15-13, 00:33
I stopped making PERMANENT modifications to my firearms awhile back, once it's done, you're stuck, just something to think about. I always thought about doing the stippling but couldn't commit. Everyone I talk to that has had nothing bad to say about it though.
I decided to go for it and make a few modifications after nearly talking my way out of it. I made very small changes till it was just the way I like it. I was conservative, I didn't attempt a grip reduction but did shave the finger grooves and under cut the trigger guard, and textured the grip. It's now more comfortable and grippy that's about all it did for me. How I held the pistol seems to have been the best improvement over modifying the gun itself. Not sure if I will do it again though.

Kilo 1-1
10-15-13, 01:13
It did for me, especially the texturing. As for grip angles on Glocks, I found using the GFA made grip re-profiling more optional for me.
My personal G17 I did texturing and grip reduction and sporting a GFA.
http://imageshack.us/a/img200/9387/egv4.jpg

As for performance, nothing replaces good fundamentals. I'm hitting at a C-zone steel target at a little over 100 yards, as denoted by the red arrow in the pic:
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/2124/casing17e.jpg

Surf
10-15-13, 01:23
Yes, I do without a doubt. However some will notice lesser or greater benefits to varying degrees dependent on shooter, type of shooting and skill level.

My choice in modifications increase comfort, improve hand placement, provide better grip and traction on the pistol, improve reloading, more efficient trigger operation, improved sighting option. All benefits that especially when combined provide me increased performance overall with the pistol.

walkin' trails
10-15-13, 08:54
A grip modification may enhance a shooter's gun handling and manipulation skills, but improving accuracy depends on the shooter's proper application of the fundamentals. That said, having a pistol that fits one's hand may aid ones ability to apply the fundamentals consistently. As you train, be sure that the modification would, indeed help you. Once I had a good shooter show up to qualify and his rounds were all going way to the side of the target. He asked me about a sight adjustment. I asked him if he had recently bumped his rear sights, he hadn't, but had recently put on a grip sleeve. I asked him if he needed it - if it helped him. He said no, and took it off. He was back to hitting the target where he intended.

I like the 1911 grip and sometimes think that it would enhance my gun handling skills. Others may believe the same thing. I am hoping that someone will come up with a grip insert for the M&P that mimics the grip angle the way the GFA does for Glocks, as I'm not quite ready to have a stick gun modified at this time. My cousin got a Robar modified G22 and claims to shoot better with a stick pistol.

Austin Millbarge
10-15-13, 20:30
I had Dale at gripreductions.com do my Glock 21. Fantastic job. Made it point much more naturally for me. I like the grippier texture as well.

JB13
10-15-13, 21:22
I personally never had issues with my Gen3 G17 such as finger grooves, hump on the back ect. My only issue was sweaty hands. I was going to send it off but decided I knew what was best for me. I pretty much just roughed it up taking my time and periodically picking up and dry firing until I had the grip how I wanted it.

Bearded_Brometheus
10-16-13, 04:20
While I could get a good grip & shoot well with regular glock grips, I feel a stipple job provided my smaller hands with a far superior purchase. I was always fairly neutral in my feelings towards a Glock grip, but when I first wrapped my paws around the stippled grip I was blown away. The grip I was able to get was blatantly superior (particularly when drawing from a holster), and if you shoot without gloves it helps if things get wet/sweaty.

I had my M&P stippled as well, & the difference wasn't nearly as noticeable as with my Glock.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5507/9651438810_7509bcf8f5_b.jpg

I'd recommend finding someone in your area with a stippled grip & seeing if it tickles your fancy.