PDA

View Full Version : Custom pistol for EDC

yoni
10-07-13, 20:58
My usual EDC is a Glock 34 0r 35 0r Glock 17 with threaded barrel and a can in my bag in Afrika,with a Streamight TLR1.

Today I went into my safe for something and saw my full house Cylinder and Slide Hi Power, it was calling my name.

So today I carried it. I must add this is in the USA where if I were to be in a shooting all the rules would apply and my pistol would go into evidence even in a good shooting.

So by the end of the day I got thinking about the following, am I being dumb by using such a good pistol for carry?

Or just figure having to get it refinished is the cost of staying alive if I ever had to use it for real.

LightningFast
10-07-13, 21:04
What's more valuable: your tools or your life?

youreacrab
10-07-13, 21:27
My usual EDC is a Glock 34 0r 35 0r Glock 17 with threaded barrel and a can in my bag in Afrika,with a Streamight TLR1.

Today I went into my safe for something and saw my full house Cylinder and Slide Hi Power, it was calling my name.

So today I carried it. I must add this is in the USA where if I were to be in a shooting all the rules would apply and my pistol would go into evidence even in a good shooting.

So by the end of the day I got thinking about the following, am I being dumb by using such a good pistol for carry?

Or just figure having to get it refinished is the cost of staying alive if I ever had to use it for real.

id be more concerned about whether the custom features were suited to carry. i sold a custom hi power bc the disconnect removal slowed the reset and i ended up short stroking in rapid fire.

RHINOWSO
10-07-13, 21:52
Agree completely.

yoni
10-08-13, 00:10
price of the pistol would never keep me from using it, to defend my life.

This pistol is great I carried an issued Hi Power for years and it is a great pistol.

Michael2007
10-08-13, 00:21
You SHOULD get your firearm back after the investigation is concluded so I say carry whatever your most effective with and if god forbid you have to use it then buy a replacement.

opmike
10-08-13, 00:24
The cost of replacement is probably the last thing on my mind when it comes to choosing a CCW.

Pick something that will be reliable, pick something that you're proficient with, pick something that you WILL actually carry.

NYH1
10-08-13, 01:21
Agree completely.
Me too!

NYH1.

ruchik
10-08-13, 02:31
This is the reason why some recommend having two pistols that are set up exactly the same way. One is used exclusively for carry, and the other is used exclusively for training and backup. If one goes down for whatever reason, you can still use the other one. That's why I have two M&P's.

Psalms144.1
10-08-13, 08:32
yoni - of all the factors that I consider when determining what pistol to carry, price is not one of them. Is it reliable, accurate, powerful enough, with sufficient capacity? Does it carry well? Are you confident that you can use it to end a fight for your life?

If the answer to all of the above is "yes," then go for it. If there are issues that any of those questions raise, then I'd say stick with what you "normally" use - the Glock.

Regards,

Kevin

okie john
10-08-13, 12:00

I would not worry about carrying an expensive custom pistol as an EDC.

I would worry about switching from a striker-fired design to one with a thumb safety without several range trips for transition training.

I carried a 1911 for 16 years before switching to a Glock three years ago. I now shoot my 1911 almost entirely with a .22 conversion kit. A few days ago, I decided to remove the conversion kit and fire a few rounds with the .45 ACP slide and barrel. I removed the magazine, racked the slide, dropped the hammer, then held the slide slightly out of battery with my right hand while I reached under the frame with my left hand to pull the slide lock down and take the slide off of the...

That's when I remembered I wasn't field stripping a Glock.

No matter how nice that BHP is, I'd be concerned about drawing it in the heat of a fight and forgetting to take the safety off. Stick to Glocks if that's what you carry most of the time.

Okie John

yoni
10-08-13, 12:07
okie John

I have the same concern, which is why once the Hi Power is snug and secure in it's holster, I lower the safety. So it is draw and fire just like the Glock.

DanTSX
10-08-13, 19:52
As much as I like the BHP, and am envious of your C&S Custom BHP, I think that the Glock will make a much better carry piece. The BHP will always be the more accurate and better feeling gun in my hand out of the two, but those two factors are low on the priority pole when it comes to CCW selection. As long as I can get fast COM hits out to 25 yards, accuracy isn't a big deal to me. I have very accurate guns for when I want to make cloverleafs in paper. For CCW, I place priority on reliability, commonality, weight, capacity, and my ability to adapt to the gun's trigger (this is where Glock's trigger is a HUGE help). Cost is never a factor, but there are steeply diminishing returns in handguns once you pass the $1000 pricepoint. I would carry a Glock if it cost $400 or $800.

As you noted, the BHP has a trigger that is not ideal for quick follow-up shots compared to a Glock (although you can practice through that). But your familiarity with the Glock, and the simplicity, light weight, higher capacity, and larger assortment of holsters really makes the Glock the winner unless you simply want to carry the BHP.

To your last point about carrying the BHP with safety disengaged, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that myself for two reasons....1. Reholstering. While a Glock does not have a manual safety either, their triggers must be pulled deliberately from the center, and there is still more resistance than any BHP I've owned or handled. And, 2. possibility of knocking the safety back on. Train and practice one way. If you have a frame mounted safety, you should practice using it and riding it to keep it disengaged when presented.

Either way there are no bad choices here as it sounds like you have plenty of experience with both guns, and both guns are EXCELENT. I have carried my HP a few times and never felt under gunned, but I did feel like my pants were going to come off despite the reinforced leather gun belt. I felt that I would never make a habit of carrying the BHP. I will stick to my 9mm or .45ACP Glocks for carry. Above all, even with good leather, the Glocks are simply more comfortable with no hammers, no sharp corners on magazine baseplates or muzzles, and smooth edges on sights. I can carry them close and under light clothing and never feel uncomfortable. Glocks will typically not rust even in the worst conditions. Hi powers will rust quite easily unless you stay on top of them near daily, or have specifically obtained a non-corrosive finish.

Also, you mentioned carrying a suppressor for your pistols in Africa? Could you offer some insight? Just for the curiosity of learning about handgun defense and concealed carry in other parts of the world. PM is fine if you do not want to deviate from topic at hand.

48J
10-08-13, 20:08
If you decide to carry the Hi Power, you will need some serious practice time on and off the range. You are now attuned to the Glock and only repetition in practice will reprogram your current muscle memory.

I carry an HP so would say carry it and don't worry about it.

As an historical tidbit, the key members of the Baader-Meinhoff gang carried Hi Powers with the chamber loaded and the safety off.

ruchik
10-08-13, 23:03
The answer is simple. Get yourself another BHP, maybe used. Use that one only for training. If you ever do get your custom BHP taken for evidence, you've got another one to hold you over until you get the custom one back.

yoni
10-09-13, 00:16
In Afrika I carry only Glocks. As I have found Afrika can cause even something as simple as a folding knife to fail, just by carrying it.

I always carry a suppressor in Afrika, I feel being as covert as possible is the way to approach things. One of my big fears in Afrika is to be the intended target of muggers and shoot my attackers, only to attract a large crowd of natives and me be the lone white guy standing over one or more people that have more in common with the now forming mob than me.

Talon167
10-09-13, 10:51
I would think the cost of your gun would be the least of your worries if you need to shoot someone, even if it's fully justified.

Itzik
10-14-13, 20:04
Carry what ever you shoot best and is 100% reliable the rest does not matter.

CAVDOC
10-15-13, 09:15
I am carrying my les Baer 45 today if I had to use it to save a life I would just pony up the two k or so for a replacement. No biggie

yoni
10-15-13, 11:48
I have made up my mind and I am now shopping for a couple more custom Hi Powers.

Problem solved.

ridesontheclouds
10-17-13, 21:14
If money isn't an issue, carry away whatever you want too.

However I know more than a few cops who if a custom HP or other high end gun showed up while an investigation was underway they would authorize agency usage of it. Chances that you'll have to shoot someone are probably not very high, so worrying about police officers taking your gun for a spin shouldn't be to big of a worry if any at all.

samuse
10-18-13, 10:11
If your trigger is sluggish after a mag disco removal you need a stronger trigger return spring. Not a Glock.