PDA

View Full Version : Changing/Rotating Your Carry Setup

Father of 3
10-09-13, 20:42
For some, your carry setup never changes from day to day, year to year, etc.

However others may alter their carry setup for a variety of factors. The most common I think is summer/winter carry. I'm interested to see what factors come into play that affect what you strap on to defend you life.

Don't just stop with the reasons you change your carry setup, include what you carry for those situations.

I carry a G17 OWB in the winter and a G19 IWB in the summer.

ST911
10-09-13, 21:10
In shorts, I don't wear ankle holsters. It was functional, but people look at me funny.

ptmccain
10-09-13, 21:13
I tried wearing a belly band holster with my Speedo when swimming.

Didn't work.

orionz06
10-09-13, 21:15
G17 AIWB year round unless clothing requirements dictate a Shield in a SmartCarry. I see no reason to have a new gun each season.

Texaspoff
10-09-13, 21:26
PPQ or G19 in combination with an LCP, all year long. I dress around what I carry rather than try and fit a weapon around what I am wearing. YMMV

TXPO

Pork Chop
10-09-13, 21:28
I carry an officer sized 1911 IWB at the 3-4 o'clock most of the time. Like 98% of the time.

For extremely warm weather or occasions where IWB won't work for whatever reason, I carry a j frame either in an ankle holster or a pocket setup.

KiloSierra
10-09-13, 21:44
Normal carry is a M&P 9 full size with a Surefire X300 in a Safariland 6280 with a two spare mags, Asp baton, two pair of handcuffs, Surefire G2L, Taser and disposable gloves. People look at me and expect me to solve all their problems that they caused do to their laziness and indifference even when I'm off and wearing all that so when I'm off it's either the M&P in a Safariland ALS paddle holster, Kahr CW9 in a shoulder or IWB holster, snub nose .38 in a pocket or ankle holster or a S&W Model 66 .357 in a pancake holster. Also carried is at least one spare reload for any weapon carried.

sierra 223
10-09-13, 22:55
G-17 95% of time, usually in a Glock Combat holster sometimes in Blade Tech IWB. Other 5% is a G-19 same holsters.

Hmac
10-10-13, 00:13
I tried an inside-the-shoe holster, but was disappointed. I carry a PPQ in an OWB Raven, or a PPS in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard depending on summer/winter. Lately I've been experimenting with IWB using an Alien Gear holster. Sheesh, at $30 its tough to fault that holster. The clips, maybe. I'll probably replace them with some loops.

https://aliengearholsters.com/

https://aliengearholsters.com/media/wysiwyg/professional2.png

Vandal
10-10-13, 00:17
G19, IWB Phantom. Always at the 4:00, reload in my pocket. I dress around the gun I'm carrying.

I do, on occasion, carry my 1911 OWB and plan my wardrobe around that fact so I do have 1911 clothes and G19 clothes if that makes any sense.

RWH24
10-10-13, 00:41
Always carry my Kahr P380 rt frt pocket. Cooler/Colder I add a Shield or a Sig 239, both 9mm.
I have been known to carry my XDm 4.5 9mm also.

Rule #9, Always carry a knife.:agree:

NYH1
10-10-13, 01:04
I carry my G26 more often in a IWB holster in the warmer months because it's easier to conceal. Some times I'll wear a loose shirt and go with my larger Glock's. Every once in a while my 1911.

When it's colder and concealing isn't that hard I usually always go with my larger Glock's.

I've been known to carry a S&W BG380 in a pocket holster once in a while.

Other then getting the BG380 a year or so ago, I haven't change this much.

NYH1.

beschatten
10-10-13, 03:49
1911 OWB pancake style holster w/ jacket in winter.
1911 IWB 8 o clock in summer.
Maybe a Glock 17 here and there.

Avoid skinny jeans. It ain't good for your jewels to wear those.

arcticlightfighter
10-10-13, 07:08
Im going back and forth between a 9mm and .45.

Right now, USP FS and Compact and P30 9mm. HK 45C

Talon167
10-10-13, 07:23
I don’t see a big deal with changing things up every once in a while. For me, summer is basically always a G27 OWB. In the winter it’s either a G23 or P30 V1 OWB. I am proficient with both platforms.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-10-13, 07:27
S&W SD9 at 3 o'clock either in a Raven copy OWB or in a Galco Triton IWB.

Arik
10-10-13, 07:36
G19 IWB all year round. Only time I change that is when I take my dog for a walk. Than I just throw a S&W m36 38spl snubby in my pocket. Or when clothing requirements dictate a change.....but thats almost never

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Psalms144.1
10-10-13, 09:16
I never used to buy into the "summer/winter" rotation because, IMHO, too many people use it as an excuse to carry a less capable firearms because it's "easier to conceal." Seriously - is there less crime in the summer? You need fewer rounds, or a pistol that doesn't shoot as well for you, because the temperatures are up? FWIW, I carry a "compact" 9mm all year - used to be the G19, currently the HK P2000. Day-to-day work, it's OWB in a Alessi CQC; off-duty in shorts/casual shirt it's IWB in a FIST #1K.

Now that I live in a communist territory (NY), where they have actual seasons, and threats adjust their garments accordingly, I can see SOME argument to carrying a "better penetrating" caliber in cold weather - especially since my agency is still mandating carry of issued 9mm JHP that's 1980s technology.

Problem for me is I simply haven't found a .40 that I can run anywhere near as well as I can my 9mms - because our issued .40 S&W is probably the hottest, hardest recoiling .40 S&W load I've ever had the mispleasure to fire. So, "up-gunning" for "better" performance of the round means worse performance from the shooter - which pretty well negates the whole purpose, I guess.

Now, if the new Director authorizes .45 ACP for personal carry, I'll be seriously tempted to find me a Fohtay-Fahv for winter duty, just 'cause I can!

Regards,

Kevin

Ryno12
10-10-13, 09:28
T-shirt/shorts weather I use a BG 380 @ 3 o'clock IWB. Jeans/flannel weather I use a Shield 40 in the same position. On very rare occasions I wear my FS M&P 40.

Sent via Tapatalk

Slab
10-10-13, 09:36
G17 OWB Phantom w/X300 95% of the time. G19 IWB on a hot and sunny day, which we don't get many of.

yoni
10-10-13, 09:48
I carry a Glock 34 Afrika carry or 35 converted to .357 sig USA carry95% of the time with a Streamlight attached. I carry this in some of the hottest most humid places in afrika. I carry concealed under a dress shirt that I don't wear tucked in or a t shirt. So it doesn't matter if I am in pants or shorts.

In the USA I will for old times sake every few month carry a Hi Power.

RST Customer Rep
10-10-13, 09:49
Glock 23 IWB almost all year round. If I am at my farm I usaully owb in a g-code holster( for ease of access). I have been carrying more owb as of late since the AL senate just the open carry laws.

Voodoo_Man
10-10-13, 10:16
More often than not a G19 in AIWB.

Sometimes a G26 in a vangaurd2.

Sometimes a G34 AIWB as backup to my G19 in AIWB.

Yes dual wield, shit gets serious yo.

JHC
10-10-13, 10:54
I tried wearing a belly band holster with my Speedo when swimming.

Didn't work.

I managed to pull it off using a Smart Carry.

okie john
10-10-13, 11:47
My EDC is a G17 with night sights cut to take G19 magazines. I carry it and a hand-held light year round, but my other gear varies as weather and light change during the year.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, I work in an industry where very casual dress is the norm, and I'm rarely out late at night. From May to August, the weather is usually clear. I leave for work after dawn and I can see my sights until 2100 hours or a bit later. In those months my G17 rides in a Dale Fricke Archangel at 2-3:00, with a spare mag at 9-10:00. It doesn't really get hot here, and it's often cool enough to wear a lightweight button-up shirt with the tails out, especially in the evenings, so it conceals pretty well. For IDPA, I add a second mag pouch aft of the main one.

The rest of the year, cloud cover, rain, and mist make things gloomy in general most of the time. I leave the house in darkness, I might need night sights as early as 1630, and night falls fully by 1800. During those months, my G17 wears an X300 and rides in a Raven Phantom IWB at 2-3:00, with the same single mag pouch in the same place. People often wear informal jackets or heavy wool shirts indoors all day during this part of the year, which makes concealment a lot easier.

If I go into the woods for the day, I carry the G17 in an OWB and the same single mag pouch in the same places.

Okie John

SPDGG
10-10-13, 12:30
Layer(s):

Hot 80-100+ Mid/Late Summer:
* 1 Layer: T-Shirt; Button Down Short Sleeve; Polo
= G26 w/ 1x G19 spare, J Frame @ least 2x Strips; Shield w/ at least 1x spare. . . use to be a PM9 [IWB w/ Handheld Light]

Mid Fall/Beginning of Spring comes around, layers get added:
2x Layers: T-Shirt Under w/ Sweater or Jacket Over = G19 w/ G17 Spare[Depending on where I am going: [IWB w/ Handheld Light or OWB w/ WML]

Winter: Depends on forecast
Same as Fall or added layers increase ease of concealment
- OWB will depend on agenda for the day

* Always a Fixed Blade; Cell Phone & . . . . I do my best to carry high capacity Common Sense 24/7

Abraham
10-10-13, 15:40
G19 in a black, leather, zippered pack (not a fanny pack) appendix carry in the Texas summer heat. Does it look dorky? Absolutely. Do I care? No. And, no one looks at me twice as it looks like it could be a binocular/camera case or perhaps holding something medical.

In the winter, I wear an OWB Hillsman holster, very thin bolatron material with a extra mag carrier on the other side of my gun belt.

Abraham
10-10-13, 15:57
I forgot to mention, with the OWB holster, I wear a cover garment. A garment waaaaaay to hot to put on in the Texas heat.

With the leather pack approach, I can wear one delightfully thin cotton shirt.

Abraham
10-10-13, 16:01
I neglected to mention, with the OWB holster, I have to wear a cover garment. A garment waaaaaay to hot to put on in the Texas heat.

With the leather pack approach, I can wear one delightfully thin and cool cotton shirt.

William B.
10-10-13, 16:15
G19 at 1:00 in a CDI Pardus AIWB holster with spare magazine in CDI mag pouch at 8:00 most of the time.

Sometimes a Ruger LCP in my strong-side pocket via a Galco Pocket Protector with spare magazine in weak-side pocket.

Austin Millbarge
10-10-13, 17:19
I try to stick to Sigs (because thats what I carry on duty). Off duty I rotate between a P226 Elite in 9mm, and a P226 Elite in .40. Sometimes I will switch it up and go with a Glock 21. Always two spare mags, knife and flashlight ( I drive my cruiser off duty, I am always expecting to get invloved in something, sadly). I also dress to conceal a full size pistol and spare mags, and just live with the inconvenience.

Michael2007
10-10-13, 22:51
G19 with a TLR-1. Soon to be an APL for most occasions but occasionally a S&W 442 when I'm okay with carrying less gun.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-11-13, 01:17
for me the best setup is

1. A S&W airlite pd (38) in my pocket at all times. I carry at work, etc. In a pocket holster the gun is undetectable and practically weightless (around 11 oz unloaded). If you run into me, unless I am nude or asleep you will have to deal with this gun.

2. If the mood strikes, which is pretty rare, I carry either (1) and HK45c or (2)M&P 40. I generally don't carry full size autoloaders on my person because they are heavy and a pain in the ass to conceal. During the winter, during coat or hoodie weather you might have to deal with one of these guns.

youngAR
10-11-13, 01:19
I'm pretty comfortable in my abilities with the LCR and it's ALWAYS hot here, so it's the LCR most of the time. I carry it in an IWB leather holster.

1911-A1
10-11-13, 12:12
I get limited time to practice, so it just works against me to have different platforms that I rotate out seasonally.

jpmuscle
10-11-13, 18:51
I like your style, haha

for me the best setup is

1. A S&W airlite pd (38) in my pocket at all times. I carry at work, etc. In a pocket holster the gun is undetectable and practically weightless (around 11 oz unloaded). If you run into me, unless I am nude or asleep you will have to deal with this gun.

2. If the mood strikes, which is pretty rare, I carry either (1) and HK45c or (2)M&P 40. I generally don't carry full size autoloaders on my person because they are heavy and a pain in the ass to conceal. During the winter, during coat or hoodie weather you might have to deal with one of these guns.

Salamander
10-20-13, 20:18
We're able to list three guns on our CCW here. They're currently allocated as follows.

HK P2000sk 9mm LEM. I use this one mainly at the office in warmer weather (here on the coast, that's typically a few weeks in late summer) or on the occasional summer business trip inland. I'm in meetings a lot and around the same people all day every day and most of them have no reason to know I carry, so deep concealment is an advantage. I use a CompTac MTAC IWB. Because I work in the downtown area of the largest city in the region, potential encounter distances are likely to be short.

HK P2000 357 Sig LEM. This is my woods gun, carried on backcountry wilderness hikes or on remote project sites where large critters are as big a concern as two-legged ones. This one gets maybe 5% of total use. It's carried OWB, usually in a Raven Phantom. We still have real predators here, although the closest I've come so far to needing it has been for dogs associated with suspected meth labs (I saw them before they saw me, and the wind was in my favor, so no encounter... yet). Distances tend to be a lot longer here, typically I'm seeing people/animals at 100 meters or more, so the flat shooting fast round is an advantage. I also like the relatively light weight of the gun, on a recent 16-mile high elevation backcountry dayhike it was comfortable all day.

HK USPc 45. I've added this one fairly recently, and it can serve as an in-town gun IWB (especially in cooler weather) or a woods gun OWB. I have the parts kit on the way to convert it to light LEM. I like the accuracy of this one, it conceals better than I had expected, and the aggressive grip texture is a plus in rainy season (it rains a lot here from October to April). Given out 10-round mag limits here, there's more incentive to carry 45 than in many other places.

All three of these have been 100% reliable, not a single malfunction or failure of any kind, which for me is a crucial consideration.

I'm constantly re-evaluating the lineup, and am currently considering whether to add another 9mm to the rotation. I finally found a Gen 2 Glock 19 that doesn't eject brass in my face and am really liking the way it shoots, or another P2000 in 9mm could fit here. My thinking is that if I could only carry one gun, it would probably be one of these, but first I need to decide what to bump to make room.

ST911
10-20-13, 20:35
We're able to list three guns on our CCW here. They're currently allocated as follows.

Not to sidetrack but am curious... Is it three by type, or by individual serial number? I.e. could you list a Glock 19, and carry any of the type, or just ser# ABC123.

Salamander
10-20-13, 21:50
Not to sidetrack but am curious... Is it three by type, or by individual serial number? I.e. could you list a Glock 19, and carry any of the type, or just ser# ABC123.

Three individual guns, by serial number. We literally need to bring them into the Sheriff's office and they check the numbers and list them on the permit... and this in a pro-2A county. I've tried to figure out the logic, and can't really see why they want to do this.

We need to qualify with each gun also, 90% on a B-27 at 15 yards, 50 rounds each gun for a new permit, 25 rounds per gun for renewals every two years. I actually do favor the quals requirement, having seen how bad one guy who flunked out of my first class was. However if I listed three identical guns, I'd technically need to qualify with each one which does seem a little illogical.

Ironically, I could throw the Glock (not currently on my permit) in my trunk in a locked case tomorrow, drive two hours to Oregon, pull over 100 feet past the state line, and strap it on under my Oregon permit which has no such restrictions... same in any or at least most of the 21 states which recognize a California permit.

ST911
10-20-13, 22:11
Three individual guns, by serial number. We literally need to bring them into the Sheriff's office and they check the numbers and list them on the permit... and this in a pro-2A county. I've tried to figure out the logic, and can't really see why they want to do this.

We need to qualify with each gun also, 90% on a B-27 at 15 yards, 50 rounds each gun for a new permit, 25 rounds per gun for renewals every two years. I actually do favor the quals requirement, having seen how bad one guy who flunked out of my first class was. However if I listed three identical guns, I'd technically need to qualify with each one which does seem a little illogical.

Interesting, thanks. Sad, too. Terribly inefficient for both the shooter and the controlling authority. Inefficient, that is, unless the goal is to inconvenience you.

HK P2000sk 9mm LEM.

HK P2000 357 Sig LEM.

HK USPc 45.

I'm constantly re-evaluating the lineup, and am currently considering whether to add another 9mm to the rotation. I finally found a Gen 2 Glock 19 that doesn't eject brass in my face and am really liking the way it shoots, or another P2000 in 9mm could fit here. My thinking is that if I could only carry one gun, it would probably be one of these, but first I need to decide what to bump to make room.

Most of what you list differs primarily in caliber, far less so in carry footprint. You can carry all with dedication, but were I to form a list of three I'd be inclined to make sure a J-frame was in there somewhere for NPE or deep carry.

I'd dump the 357SIG in favor of best ammo in 9mm. You're not losing much, if anything. Especially if you opt for the high pressure fast movers in 124gr (Ranger, HST, GDHP).

Kokopelli
12-03-13, 21:33
I don't have a seasonal change. I wear cargo pants and a Wilderness Tactical Sonora (loser) shirt. The only thing that changes is the pants are longer in the winter and I wear a hoodie.. I carried a 1911 in custom leather rigs for a long time, but now I carry a Shield in a Raven Concealment Phantom on a Ares Ranger belt. I've been carrying the 9mm, but just recently got one in 40. I'll carry it now..

lowbar
12-03-13, 22:09
My only variation is a G17. I normally carry a G19 and um a few other "things", well......... Anyway, on occasion I will opt for a full size. Other than that pretty much the same setup for years! Why fix it if it aint broke?

kevN
12-04-13, 21:16
I think you should carry the firearm you perform best with that you can comfortably conceal given the condition. For me that means a G19 99% of the time. I don't personally have a big change with weather.

pingdork
12-04-13, 23:45
Rotate g19 and 26 aiwb and owb bladetechs for both. Depending on mood mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

captdreifus
12-05-13, 02:05
I usually carry a g19 in either a blade-tech iwb, mtac, or vangaurd 2 in the winter. Sometimes I use a galco combat master if I'm feeling the need for owb.

For summer, I like my 642 in front pocket with nemesis holster. Just too dang hot. If a bigger gun is needed, see above.

Capt

Sgt_Gold
12-08-13, 12:31
What I carry is wardrobe, not seasonly dependent. It doesn't matter what the temp is, these are sometimes I can't wear a holster of any kind due to how I'm dressed. That's where the J frame comes in handy. Pocket carry is pretty much impossible to spot even if you bump up against someone. For all other times it's a P239 in 9mm.

MegademiC
12-08-13, 14:23
M&p fs in a vg2. 99% of the time. Aiwb carry works for undershirts and dress so never really need to change it. I have a shield for rare Instances I'm not comfortable with the full sized.

I do hang lights off my holster from thanksgiving to New Years though.��

Trajan
12-08-13, 14:32
What I carry is wardrobe, not seasonly dependent. It doesn't matter what the temp is, these are sometimes I can't wear a holster of any kind due to how I'm dressed. That's where the J frame comes in handy. Pocket carry is pretty much impossible to spot even if you bump up against someone. For all other times it's a P239 in 9mm.

Firearms certainly play a role in that, but I would also state that the holster you use is as equally important.

If you look around, I am sure you could find a holster that would hide your P239 in anything aside from the nude.

SteveS
12-08-13, 15:15
while the j frame wouldn't be my choice for a shoot out .The J frame types are the nicest to carry protection piece. Cheap to buy, usually reliable and easy to carry.

FAB45
12-08-13, 18:36
In shorts, I don't wear ankle holsters. It was functional, but people look at me funny.

^^^ I laughed out loud when I read this! Good stuff

FAB45
12-08-13, 18:38
Seriously though, I carry a Glock 19 year round. During some of the hotter months or if I'm lazy (walking dog late) I may carry a S&W model 42 a small .38 revolver

weggy
12-09-13, 09:31
G30 all the time, crossbreed IWB.

GunBugBit
12-09-13, 13:21
G23 most of the time, and a full-size 1911 the rest of the time.

RCS
12-09-13, 21:28
Before I retired (for the second time) spent 38 of those years carrying a 1911 45acp of some flavor in either a OWB or IWB...and spent an additional 2 years carrying a 9mm Sig 226 regardless of the season. Now that I no longer am required to go in "harms way" and I practice being a "grey man", I pocket carry a Sig P938 in cargo pants & shorts 99 percent of the time and a Kahr PM9 in dress slacks 1 percent of the time. In both cases my BUG is a Kahr P380.

WhiskyNiner
12-10-13, 14:01
I carried a gen 4G23 in .40, .40 +1", .40 2-port, or w/9mm conversion barrel +1". I now have a gen 3 G30SF that is my main carry piece. I also carry sometimes an LC9 and a 1911 in .45.

I'll carry whatever I feel like, but mostly the 30 summer or winter. I don't wear skimpyskimpy things, so always cover with at button or t-shirt. I keep the LC9 in the car with me as an easy to reach item even though I may be carrying something larger IWB and hard to reach.

I use an IWB of some sort for everthing, but have a Nemesis for the LC9 to keep the trigger covered when pocket carrying or when it's in the car.

PSBT4117
12-11-13, 16:49
I rotate between a Gen4 G 26 and a 2006 era Gen 3 G 19. They both ride IWB in a Gallco Summer Comfort. Carry ammo is the same for both. The only difference in carry method is the occasional carry in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag if I'm day hiking or trail running.

I can't say I have a logical reason for switching between the 2 pistols but I shoot them both pretty well and they are similar enough that I am comfortable making the change.

JW1069
12-15-13, 21:31
Seasons, dress and all that stuff, IMO, should be secondary considerations to, "Which defensive gun do I shoot the best?" I gave myself an honest evaluation and realized that I loved certain pistols for one reason or another, but didn't shoot them better than some of the others. If you're changing things up, then just make sure the end result is that you actually improved your SD capability and not just satisfied a whim.

One recent change to mention is that I had a mental block against AIWB (no clue why). Then just to prove to myself how uncomfortable this must be, I tried it with a G19. Holy smokes and unicorns, this setup is the tits! :dance3: Sometimes you don't know what you don't know until you put it to the test.

SeriousStudent
12-15-13, 21:51

One recent change to mention is that I had a mental block against AIWB (no clue why). Then just to prove to myself how uncomfortable this must be, I tried it with a G19. Holy smokes and unicorns, this setup is the tits! :dance3: Sometimes you don't know what you don't know until you put it to the test.

I know someone that carries a G35 in an AIWB, and does so all day long. He's very fast and very accurate with it as well.